Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

hugo29 wrote: »
    Dirty weekend in Westport muckit,

Up she flew :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Had a section on a cow here last Tuesday. 3rd calf cow, calves from the same bull no prob the last two years but made no effort at all this year. Calf was down very deep and twisted so vet decided on a side entry.

Cow was sick enough for a couple of days but all seems well now. Havn't had a section in a couple of years here, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Heifer calf by the way.

Replacement potential? Is there shorthorn in the cow? She has the head of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Replacement potential? Is there shorthorn in the cow? She has the head of one.

She's a blonde x on her card. Not home bred so dunno the dam. She's a tidy enough animal so perhaps Sh or lim in there some where.

Unlikely that we'll keep the calf as a replacement. Prob let her off at either 8 or 20 mths. Cutting back on suckler cow no's a bit here like plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Almost got caught by the tide on the way home this evening.

Con, seems if your good with a camera, have a barn with hay in it then you get to have a lingerie shoot.:p hurry on with that tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Con, seems if your good with a camera, have a barn with hay in it then you get to have a lingerie shoot.:p hurry on with that tunnel.

Sounds like a job where you'd never work a day in your life :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Sounds like a job where you'd never work a day in your life :D

Should be good lighting in the sheep tunnel :D

moy83 wrote: »

Think I won't bother with the net, will sheet it down to the ground to raise the temp inside :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

A good flash will be sufficient.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Muckit wrote: »
    Up she flew :D

And muckit went thru ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

3 calves born and sucked of their own accord this morning...if only they were all that simple!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

3 calves born and sucked of their own accord this morning...if only they were all that simple!

what bulls did you use ?

what bulls did you use ?

One of them is the neighbors Charolais I'd say. Other one is outta the limo stock bull in the pic.

One of them is the neighbors Charolais I'd say. Other one is outta the limo stock bull in the pic.

lovely animals. i'd say you could go down the road of AI with that bull and

make a fortune.:)

lovely animals. i'd say you could go down the road of AI with that bull and

make a fortune.:)

Ah he's hardly that good, cost enough but still doesn't suit all the cows like ai would.

Ah he's hardly that good, cost enough but still doesn't suit all the cows like ai would.

Do you. Use any ai

Do you. Use any ai

Did a lot of the cows a few years ago. Have my own tank and DIY training done but our land is very scattered and hard to watch for cows bulling. Tempted to throw a good shorthorn on a few of the better lim cows in the hope of a few heifers though. Maybe next year.

Did a lot of the cows a few years ago. Have my own tank and DIY training done but our land is very scattered and hard to watch for cows bulling. Tempted to throw a good shorthorn on a few of the better lim cows in the hope of a few heifers though. Maybe next year.

i am a small farmer would it be worth doing ai course ?

I don't think so really, costs a good bit for the course and the gear and you would be rusty enough after not doing it for 9 months. If you have a good ai man I'd stick with him.

I don't think so really, costs a good bit for the course and the gear and you would be rusty enough after not doing it for 9 months. If you have a good ai man I'd stick with him.

AI man costs 35 euro first time and 10 euro for repeat . do you think thats deer

or i am better getting a stock bull

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Bunch of Sept/Oct calves, they were all out of heifers and MBP except for the calf third from right which is out of BZB. Picture quality is not the best but I will try and get a better shot over the next couple of evenings.

• Advertisement

AI man costs 35 euro first time and 10 euro for repeat . do you think thats deer

or i am better getting a stock bull

I'd say 30 to 35 is the going rate. Your talking 2k minimum for any kind of a half decent stock bull and they are expensive buggers to keep. Factor in the danger of having one around if young kids around the place aswell. You can pick individual bulls to suit particular cows with ai. If it's working for you I wouldn't change it. Just doesn't suit our farm because the land is in 7 different parcels over 5 miles and we don't have the handling facilities every where to suit along with trying to check for signs of heat twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

You could stand up on something if ya met a tall cow an couldn't reach :-)

Spring 2014

A few photos l took on my travels today 5 march 2014.
    First photo is of a car garage totally under water as well as his yard which had a couple of cars floating around in it.

Second one is the driveway up to a farmhouse. God knows how they are getting in or out.

What a spring!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First photo is of a car garage totally under water as well as his yard which had a couple of cars floating around in it.

Second one is the driveway up to a farmhouse. God knows how they are getting in or out.

What a spring!!

By boat I guess :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What a spring!!

Tight-post walking:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

What a spring!!

Is that farm near Claremorris?

mayota wrote: »
    Is that farm near Claremorris?

Drive around Mayo in your Toyota and you will eventually find it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

I'll have another guess tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I passed that a couple of times and meant to take photo.. Balla, co. mayo.. must be underlying problem there though .. it floods ever year.. need to make a back road or raise front road

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Bodacious wrote: »
    I passed that a couple of times and meant to take photo.. Balla, co. mayo.. must be underlying problem there though .. it floods ever year.. need to make a back road or raise front road

I've never seen that area flooded, but there's thectwo fields either side of the road just past keanes garage there as you enter balla that always flood very badly. The mother was over there recently though as was shocked at the way things were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Sept 23/13 calf out of CWI. Mother a handy enough lim X first calfer with 22% holstein blood. My past experience with CWI, is his calves tend to be little on the low side. This guy is the opposite.
    Half thinking of casterating him, when I let him out to grass. Leave him on the cow until July / Aug.

Round Bale wrote: »
    Sept 23/13 calf out of CWI. Mother a handy enough lim X first calfer with 22% holstein blood. My past experience with CWI, is his calves tend to be little on the low side. This guy is the opposite.
    Half thinking of casterating him, when I let him out to grass. Leave him on the cow until July / Aug.

Very impressive animal. love the username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Very impressive animal. love the username.

Meant to put up pic from his other end, but it didn't seem to load first time.
    This is it

Good ole Tesco, milking Hereford and Angus heifers. real pioneers :D

1656405_614111428668796_315603927_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Damo810 wrote: »
    Good ole Tesco, milking Hereford and Angus heifers. real pioneers :D

At least it's not bulls milk they're putting in the cartons :cool:

At least it's not bulls milk they're putting in the cartons :cool:

With Tesco you wouldn't know.

_66011739_017282432.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Damo810 wrote: »
    With Tesco you wouldn't know.

_66011739_017282432.jpg

Is it that 1 cut of meat that's horse free or is that the only cut you can't feed horses.

First set of twins here in years . Pure friesan markings on the lad on the left

First set of twins here in years . Pure friesan markings on the lad on the left

What bull got them?

• Advertisement

What bull got them?

You're guess is as good as mine :D Possibly a blue or part weanling . She got a limo from ai but I'm not sure if she held to it . Mom is out of a fr so I'm thinking thats where his markings came from .
    Would I be right in thinking if a whitehead bulled her both calves would have white heads on them ?
    This craic of having cows , calves and weanlings running together has to stop around here , the father has cows calving all year long in dribs and drabs and its a PITA trying to mind them right when they are like that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You're guess is as good as mine :D Possibly a blue or part weanling . She got a limo from ai but I'm not sure if she held to it . Mom is out of a fr so I'm thinking thats where his markings came from .
    Would I be right in thinking if a whitehead bulled her both calves would have white heads on them ?
    This craic of having cows , calves and weanlings running together has to stop around here , the father has cows calving all year long in dribs and drabs and its a PITA trying to mind them right when they are like that :o

A blue/fr cross can come that way. EDJ was well known for it

A blue/fr cross can come that way. EDJ was well known for it

I'd an EDJ calf off a whitehead cow come black. I can't remember was there any white on him.
    The twins look maybe to have BB in them. It's not easy to manage a herd calving all over the place. You could probably split them into spring calving and autumn calving groups for a start and try tighten them up that way?

I'd an EDJ calf off a whitehead cow come black. I can't remember was there any white on him.
    The twins look maybe to have BB in them. It's not easy to manage a herd calving all over the place. You could probably split them into spring calving and autumn calving groups for a start and try tighten them up that way?

It would be very easy to split them up that way if I was left to my own devices :rolleyes: But they are the fathers cows and he changes his mind like the weather . We had an old cow bulling yesterday , she has had about ten calves and is lame and thin and making a poor do of this years calf . I put her out of the slats so she wouldn't get hurt and we definitey agreed that she would be sold on for fattening when the calf is reared . He called down this morning and said he ai'd her last night anyhow " sure she probably wont hold anyhow " he said just to pacify me !
    Hard to deal with ould boys like that , but what can you do :D

th_IMG_1733_zps5793cb3b.jpg

Not sure if this would work as it's a 2 second video rather than a photo

AHZ bull calf 3 weeks out of a heifer

Anyone know of that free app for Apple iPhone to take stills from
    A video, my GF had it but now has Samsung and can't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Bodacious wrote: »
    th_IMG_1733_zps5793cb3b.jpg

Not sure if this would work as it's a 2 second video rather than a photo

AHZ bull calf 3 weeks out of a heifer

Anyone know of that free app for Apple iPhone to take stills from
    A video, my GF had it but now has Samsung and can't remember

You don't need one. Hold down the home button and press the hold button and it will take a screenshot of whatever is on screen.

towzer2010 wrote: »
    You don't need one. Hold down the home button and press the hold button and it will take a screenshot of whatever is on screen.

3 weeks lastnight

photo_zps6e82f871.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Bull calf, calved during the week. Calved fine but looking at the size of him considering myself lucky

dh1985 wrote: »
    Bull calf, calved during the week. Calved fine but looking at the size of him considering myself lucky

what bull was it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

what bull was it ?

Out of a charolais stock bull off jupiter I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement