Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

BZB bull calf five days old out of a white head heifer, he is fairly small but as I often heard said...better off with a small live one than a big dead one!! He should start filling out soon as the heifer has a lot of milk so much so that I am not sure if he will be able to drink her out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

BZB bull calf five days old out of a white head heifer, he is fairly small but as I often heard said...better off with a small live one than a big dead one!! He should start filling out soon as the heifer has a lot of milk so much so that I am not sure if he will be able to drink her out.

Would lads consider buying milky beef calves from dairy farmers and stick a second calf on them?
    Would ye make any more money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Would lads consider buying milky beef calves from dairy farmers and stick a second calf on them?
    Would ye make any more money?

It would be more profitable alright , whether it would be worth the extra work is debatable . Its all grand when the calves take to the cow and the cow lets the extra calves suck her but when doesnt work out it is one sickening job .

moy83 wrote: »
    It would be more profitable alright , whether it would be worth the extra work is debatable . Its all grand when the calves take to the cow and the cow lets the extra calves suck her but when doesnt work out it is one sickening job .

I've to big AA heifers here 15 mths old now we don't know what to do with them yet tbh but I was thinking of putting a lim in them and put a fr bull on them when they calve and sell.
    I'd say we will end up milking them though

I've to big AA heifers here 15 mths old now we don't know what to do with them yet tbh but I was thinking of putting a lim in them and put a fr bull on them when they calve and sell.
    I'd say we will end up milking them though

Oh put up pictures of them going through the parlour , we milked a few of them when I was younger .

Oh put up pictures of them going through the parlour , we milked a few of them when I was younger .

Father has milked charolais, Angus and Belgium blue in his time when he needed to build cow numbers ha.

Father has milked charolais, Angus and Belgium blue in his time when he needed to build cow numbers ha.

Id say he is a happy man now to be able to buy fr and jerseys cheaper than beef cows .

Id say he is a happy man now to be able to buy fr and jerseys cheaper than beef cows .
    Ye I don't know how he came up with the notion of putting cows in calve to beef breeds ha

Ye I don't know how he came up with the notion of putting cows in calve to beef breeds ha

Maybe keeping his options open at the time

• Advertisement

Maybe keeping his options open at the time

I think that's how he managed to start his SFP by keeping bullocks

I think that's how he managed to start his SFP by keeping bullocks

There certainly was a method in his madness so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Have a common visitor to a garden most nights. Martins are supposed to be timid but this one is so cheeky he comes up to about a metre in front of the door to where there is cat food spilled. Can even open the door and he won't scamper off in a hurry!:eek:

SFVF5ROl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Have a common visitor to a garden most nights. Martins are supposed to be timid but this one is so cheeky he comes up to about a metre in front of the door to where there is cat food spilled. Can even open the door and he won't scamper off in a hurry!:eek:

SFVF5ROl.jpg

Did ya ever hear the phrase, don't feed the wildlife :rolleyes:

Reggie. wrote: »
    Did ya ever hear the phrase, don't feed the wildlife :rolleyes:

Ah now, I'm hardly going to go clean up after the cats outside! :D

Ah now, I'm hardly going to go clean up after the cats outside! :D

He is probably in the bushes at feeding time warning the cats to leave a bit for him :D

• Advertisement

SFVF5ROl.jpg

He'd make a nice sandwich :D:D

Ya, if you want to get prosecuted!

Would you believe I have one in the freezer here . I found him dead on the road and thought I might get him stuffed but if you want a taste ill post him up .

Would you believe I have one in the freezer here . I found him dead on the road and thought I might get him stuffed but if you want a taste ill post him up .

The poor missus, I can just imagine her going to the freezer to take out a lump of steak for your dinner and being greeted by a frozen pine martin:D:D

The poor missus, I can just imagine her going to the freezer to take out a lump of steak for your dinner and being greeted by a frozen pine martin:D:D

Or the missus cooking it up instead of the steak to get at him

• Advertisement

I didnt take any chances with the missus , I put it in the parents freezer .

I didnt take any chances with the missus , I put it in the parents freezer .

Lack of trust.....ohhhh

Lack of trust.....ohhhh

Poor parents! My father nearly killed me for keeping whole squid in the freezer.

That reminds me I've a hawk that I found dead in the yard two yrs ago that I was going to get stuffed ha

Poor parents! My father nearly killed me for keeping whole squid in the freezer.

Not gonna even ask how you managed to get that

That reminds me I've a hawk that I found dead in the yard two yrs ago that I was going to get stuffed ha

Well rotted now green

Im sound , they never get to the bottom of their freezer and I hid it well down . Did you eat the squid ?

Well rotted now green

Lost I'd say. Bjg chest freezer and the mother has it full to the brim

Hardly ate is it :D

Hardly ate is it :D

Twas a tough chicken

• Advertisement

Im sound , they never get to the bottom of their freezer and I hid it well down . Did you eat the squid ?

Of course! Reggie I get it off a Donegal man every week :)

Their heads make the oddest noise when you pull them off.
    Squid that is, I don't go around killing Donegal men.

Of course! Reggie I get it off a Donegal man every week :)

Their heads make the oddest noise when you pull them off.
    Squid that is, I don't go around killing Donegal men.

Now we know what happened bob :0

Now we know what happened bob :0

Alas, poor bob! I knew him, Horatio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Anybody else getting an image of the type of thing a health inspector looking in the freezer of a dodgy eating establishment might see.
    That type of place might want to stuff him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As a small child (long time ago) one year, all the Holly was covered in berries in October. thinking ahead, bagged up a big bunch and left in the freezer for Christmas. the mother was reaching in some time later, and ran a holly spine up under her fingernail. I was very lucky that I was fast at the oul running, when I was younger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mind you don't get his ID chip stuck in your teeth, when you get round to eating him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

We milked HE AA and BB crosses in the past. HE were probably the best

Still you'll get 900 gallons out if an Angus cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

We milked HE AA and BB crosses in the past. HE were probably the best

Still you'll get 900 gallons out if an Angus cross
    we have an aax out of our highest ebi cow, great milker and shes the kids favourite cow, she has had 3 fr heifer calves so far with lovely markings. Had a limx years ago she was a great milker but a bit nervous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

biddy2013 wrote: »
    we have an aax out of our highest ebi cow, great milker and shes the kids favourite cow, she has had 3 fr heifer calves so far with lovely markings. Had a limx years ago she was a great milker but a bit nervous

morning biddy,

would the FR daughters of the AA X FR be right up there in yield terms with rest of the herd? just curious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Some pull with this lad yesterday out of a springer. Legs still a little sore. Mother only took to him there an hour ago when I brought the dog into the pen with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Some pull with this lad yesterday out of a springer. Legs still a little sore. Mother only took to him there an hour ago when I brought the dog into the pen with me.

fine animal what bull is that. the calf is massive.

fine animal what bull is that. the calf is massive.

Limo stock bull, iv seen bigger but he was a big calf for a springer to be trying to push out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

whats that timber thing beside him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

hugo29 wrote: »

Is it a golf bat?

A Hurley....you might'nt have ever stumbled across one in Sligo :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Some pull with this lad yesterday out of a springer.

Is that one of those hurlogs ?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

A Hurley....you might'nt have ever stumbled across one in Sligo :P

oh right i thought it was some sort off a fancy shovel, :D

oh right i thought it was some sort off a fancy shovel, :D

It a kind of multitool. Slashook, herding stick, back up kayak paddle, garden spade and ball hitter. Endless uses really, you should invest!! I made that one myself, do you a good deal for one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

where did you find a 24" hurl to stand up against the calf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

It a kind of multitool. Slashook, herding stick, back up kayak paddle, garden spade and ball hitter. Endless uses really, you should invest!! I made that one myself, do you a good deal for one ;)

Not too much hurling done in your neck of the woods either :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement