Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Does anyone have a idea what these heifers would make in the mart? D.o.b March/April 2012, Out wintered.
    I'm not very good with weights sorry.

Hard to tell from a photo but the one on the left looks around 500kgs so at €2.20 per kg (avg price for continentals atm) she'd make around €1100 from what I've seen. The others a bit less. Totally depends on demand on the day but you will be selling at the right time around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Hard to tell from a photo but the one on the left looks around 500kgs so at €2.20 per kg (avg price for continentals atm) she'd make around €1100 from what I've seen. The others a bit less. Totally depends on demand on the day but you will be selling at the right time around now.

Thanks towzer. Would be happy if I got that. There's 1 Angus there she might not do to bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Thanks towzer. Would be happy if I got that. There's 1 Angus there she might not do to bad either.

I'm in the same boat here.. Need to offload some breeding heifers .. I'd hold off for another month if you have the fodder / space for them.. The real grass men/ DAS grass men not out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bodacious wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat here.. Need to offload some breeding heifers .. I'd hold off for another month if you have the fodder / space for them.. The real grass men/ DAS grass men not out yet

Waiting for them myself. Have two FR bullocks here to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

[IMG][/img]IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Spead some fertilizer on the reseed over the weekend. coming on grand this end of the feild but very bare other places. let cows and calves out on it on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

[IMG][/img]IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Spead some fertilizer on the reseed over the weekend. coming on grand this end of the feild but very bare other places. let cows and calves out on it on Sunday

what fertilizer are you using ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

18-6-12. It's silage ground and need to get the P and K up.

cows have access to hay and a bucket and doing them with bolus's later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Odelay wrote: »
    If your mother saw that dirt under your finger nails you'd be in big trouble...

Oh says that hands like that make good back scratchers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

She has special sanitary wipes for me when I go to hers :D

Wipes, be god, most lads would just use a tissue :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bodacious wrote: »

Whatever about the men being out , the grass certainly isn't out around here anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Monster LHZ heifer out of an RIL cow

https://imageshack.us/a/img837/9566/56wz.up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Is that opening ok for others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

dh1985 wrote: »
    Is that opening ok for others

The calf is so huge it can't fit on the screen:D

Cow has a fair elder

dh1985 wrote: »
    Cow has a fair elder

She is very slack actually tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Damo810 wrote: »
    Wipes, be god, most lads would just use a tissue :P

Or the arse of their trousers:cool:

She is very slack actually tbh

Jaysus from the photo you swear she'd have lots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Round Bale wrote: »
    Or the arse of their trousers:cool:

Or the curtain..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Or the curtain..............

Yeehaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

First calves this year off FZF, yellow bull, red heifer. Both came backways, small pull, no jack needed.

The mammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

tanko wrote: »
    The mammy

Are you sure they are all out?

She looks big enough to still have a calf or two...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Did you buy the FZF straws from Powerful Genetics ?
    He looks a fine bull from what I've seen of him. (MERESIDE FAVORI)

Father says to me is it a simmental.
    Weighed her. She was 58kgs.
    For a Fr heifer that's a whopper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

[IMG][/img]IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Would you not be wasting the fertilizer if you put cows on it at the weekend. You have only a 3 day window to graze grass after applying fert after this the fertilizer has made its way from the roots to the leaf ,

tanko wrote: »
    First calves this year off FZF, yellow bull, red heifer. Both came backways, small pull, no jack needed.

Pity you hadn't a pair of heifers of that bull.

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Are you sure they are all out?

She looks big enough to still have a calf or two...:D

Yeah, she's a very easy cow to feed, hard to keep flesh off her. She had some belly before she calved. Two heifers would have been nice but I'm just glad they're alive, I left her calving a bit too long and they had some fluid in the lungs but are flying now.

I got the straws of powerful genetics, €10/straw.

This is her OZS heifer from last year

Checked the cows earlier and went to the Cavan V Tyrone U-21 game, came back and a cow had calved on the slats. All well, don't know yet if I've got a heifer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

New calves. 1st is by AI Charolais bull out of 1/2Limo, 1/2dairy cow. Birth weight 45kg.
    2014_03200005.JPG
    2014_03200004.JPG
    2nd is by AI Angus bull, out of 1/2 Angus, 1/4 Salers, 1/4 dairy heifer. Birth weight 42kg.
    2014_03200008.JPG
    In pics both calves are 3 days old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

golodge wrote: »
    New calves. 1st is by AI Charolais bull out of 1/2Limo, 1/2dairy cow. Birth weight 45kg.
    2014_03200005.JPG
    2014_03200004.JPG
    2nd is by AI Angus bull, out of 1/2 Angus, 1/4 Salers, 1/4 dairy heifer. Birth weight 42kg.
    2014_03200008.JPG

How do you weigh the calves, do you have a harness and hand held scales? Had a massive limo bull out of a springer here last weeks that I really struggled to lift. Would loved to have put a weight on him because I'm used to carrying 2 bags of nuts on my shoulder when I'm doing the feeding and he seemed way heavier.

Would ya have a link to the AI Charolais, I'm curious to see would he have any genetic links to the AI bulls here. That's a lovely square Charolais calf!

How do you weigh the calves, do you have a harness and hand held scales? Had a massive limo bull out of a springer here last weeks that I really struggled to lift. Would loved to have put a weight on him because I'm used to carrying 2 bags of nuts on my shoulder when I'm doing the feeding and he seemed way heavier.
    I've a hand held scales for sheep, so it fits for just borned calves.
    Looks like this:
    http://ykzhengya.en.alibaba.com/product/524160320-209565437/200kg_hand_held_weighing_scale.html
    When calf is lifted and can't touch the ground there is nothing calf can do.

Would ya have a link to the AI Charolais, I'm curious to see would he have any genetic links to the AI bulls here. That's a lovely square Charolais calf!
    Yes I've a link.
    http://www.naturalgenetics.cz/DOC_SEMEN4/ZCH-518_Offer.pdf
    We'll have one his calf from one more Limox cow this weekend and one calf out of BBx cow after three weeks.

Yes I've a link.
    http://www.naturalgenetics.cz/DOC_SEMEN4/ZCH-518_Offer.pdf
    We'll have one his calf from one more Limox cow this weekend and one calf out of BBx cow after three weeks.

He has a lot of body to him. He looks a useful bull to get a replacement heifer off.
    I've used a Blason son (Icare), I think Blason bred milky cows, and had muscle too. I think there was a Harrison son around one of the AI stations but I can't remember his name. It might come to me!

He has a lot of body to him. He looks a useful bull to get a replacement heifer off.
    I've used a Blason son (Icare), I think Blason bred milky cows, and had muscle too. I think there was a Harrison son around one of the AI stations but I can't remember his name. It might come to me!
    It nice to hear that we can expect good calves by him. We'd like to have a heifer.

• Advertisement

New heifer calf borned this morning. Sire the same AI Charolais bull, dam 1/2 Limouisne, 1/2 dairy.
    2014_03210002.jpg

New heifer calf borned this morning. Sire the same AI Charolais bull, dam 1/2 Limouisne, 1/2 dairy.
    2014_03210002.jpg

Excellent. You must tag the calves when they hit the ground! :-)

Are the cows outwintered on that ground?

2014_03210002.jpg

Monster calf

Excellent. You must tag the calves when they hit the ground! :-)

Are the cows outwintered on that ground?
    Heifer was tagged in one hour after birth.
    Cows have outwintered in the winter pasture, but now here are now snow, so girls feel much better in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

2014_03200005.JPG
    2014_03200004.JPG
    2014_03200008.JPG

great loin on the ch

• Advertisement

At one week old now, still wondering how I got him out route 1. Animal of a calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

At one week old out, still wondering how I got him out route 1. Animal of a calf.

Christ! The neck on him! Poor cow will never want to go incalf again:eek::eek:

At one week old out, still wondering how I got him out route 1. Animal of a calf.

Is that dad in the picture aswell ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Is that dad in the picture aswell ?

Yip, not looking great either. He got a bad bout of coccidiosis a few months back and it nearly whipped him. Only starting to thrive a bit with the last month.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Christ! The neck on him! Poor cow will never want to go incalf again:eek::eek:

Out of a springer and all. Tough cookie she is, stayed standing while we pulled. Was full sure she'd go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

That's some calf for a week. Fair play.
    Did you ever think about taking up tug of war?

Yip, not looking great either. He got a bad bout of coccidiosis a few months back and it nearly whipped him. Only starting to thrive a bit with the last month.

He doesn't look too bad at all . Have you many calves out of him ?

moy83 wrote: »
    He doesn't look too bad at all . Have you many calves out of him ?

He's the second one now. Bulls just gone a 2 year old. He looked a lot better when I got him!!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    That's some calf for a week. Fair play.
    Did you ever think about taking up tug of war?

Let the jack do the pulling. Pulled a lgl bull calf for my girlfriends father a few days back without a jack, he doesn't believe in it :rolleyes: 3 of us pulling the cow around the place. Self inflicted hardship is all I could call it!!

He's the second one now. Bulls just gone a 2 year old. He looked a lot better when I got him!!

Think will you have a few hard pulls or was it just that she was a springer . Hope he is lucky for ya

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement