Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Always nervous of riding school ponies as they seem to be programmed to go in clockwise circles a bit like circus ponies.

Any change let me know, cheers

Would they not be delighted to go straigh again when they get the chance ? The riding school the young lad is in lets them out on treks and criss crosses the arena aswell .
    If I had time I'd love to get a horse and break him in . I dont know if I'd be any good at it buts its something I'm going to try before I cock my toes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

moy83 wrote: »
    Would they not be delighted to go straigh again when they get the chance ? The riding school the young lad is in lets them out on treks and criss crosses the arena aswell .
    If I had time I'd love to get a horse and break him in . I dont know if I'd be any good at it buts its something I'm going to try before I cock my toes

Plan to do exactly that this summer! Have re-broken two before so it will be fun to do it from scratch. Taking bets on injuries sustained soon:D

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Plan to do exactly that this summer! Have re-broken two before so it will be fun to do it from scratch. Taking bets on injuries sustained soon:D

What kinda horse will you go for ? I would rather stay clear of injuries rather than take bets on getting them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah that seems to be the problem at the moment anyways. Too many ponies not enough money

Bit of change in that lately apparently. Sales last month were best in a long time. No problem to get paid for quality but poor stock was still at poor prices. This is according to a neighbour who buys breaks and sells his own and other peoples stock. Tangling in horses all of the time, makes his living from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bit of change in that lately apparently. Sales last month were best in a long time. No problem to get paid for quality but poor stock was still at poor prices. This is according to a neighbour who buys breaks and sells his own and other peoples stock. Tangling in horses all of the time, makes his living from them.

Are there not loads of horses in the country for slaughter but the factories can't kill enough of them

moy83 wrote: »
    What kinda horse will you go for ? I would rather stay clear of injuries rather than take bets on getting them !

My last mare was 16.1, a green book draught, last gelding was 17.3, a half warmblood/draught. I would probably go for something 16hh-17hh this time, but sometimes you can tell a lot from a horses head and carriage in the sales if they will be a pain in the hole to train and work with or not.

What I would love would be something with arabian/friesian blood but I doubt I will find any of those here :D:D

My last mare was 16.1, a green book draught, last gelding was 17.3, a half warmblood/draught. I would probably go for something 16hh-17hh this time, but sometimes you can tell a lot from a horses head and carriage in the sales if they will be a pain in the hole to train and work with or not.

What I would love would be something with arabian/friesian blood but I doubt I will find any of those here :D:D

That horsey slang has me lost ! A piebald will do me whenever I decide to have a go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Have re-broken two before

Is there such a thing? once you break in a horse and his mouth is made is that not it??

Muckit wrote: »
    Is there such a thing? once you break in a horse and his mouth is made is that not it??

If they're left for a few years with no handling, it's almost the same thing!

• Advertisement

I think its harder to do them the second time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I see why you're taking bets on injuries. Would they not be 2 of the livelier breeds.

Would something like this not suit you better. Less chance of injury.

I see why you're taking bets on injuries. Would they not be 2 of the livelier breeds.

Would something like this not suit you better. Less chance of injury.

Maybe I should go find moys roadside pony :rolleyes::P

You might get a free one if you go to the galway thread

Maybe I should go find moys roadside pony :rolleyes::P

Yes much safer. That one I put up came out of drumshambo mart 2 weeks ago. Dad bought her for my 2 year old neice.

Seriously though you must have a done a fair bit with horses to want an arabian or friesan. The friesan is one of the nicest looking horses I've seen though. I can see why you would want one.

Yes much safer. That one I put up came out of drumshambo mart 2 weeks ago. Dad bought her for my 2 year old neice.

Seriously though you must have a done a fair bit with horses to want an arabian or friesan. The friesan is one of the nicest looking horses I've seen though. I can see why you would want one.

Enough to know how to work my way around them alright! This was the last guy I had, bear in mind kovu is 5.7.
    http://i.imgur.com/K0vwcbf.jpg

and another who flew over any jump- http://i.imgur.com/e0liqRo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Nothing but a waste of grass!! :p

Enough to know how to work my way around them alright! This was the last guy I had, bear in mind kovu is 5.7 pg[/url]

and another who flew over any jump- http://i.imgur.com/e0liqRo.jpg

2 lovely looking horses big too. The second fella is a rare enough colour although I prefer the first. I'm guessing you use them for some kind of jumping as opposed to just riding on the flat.
    I think the shetlands might struggle to clear the jumps.

Damo810 wrote: »
    Nothing but a waste of grass!! :p

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

One of the lads sent me this, he reckons its the perfect cross, exactly what the supermarkets are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

One of the lads sent me this, he reckons its the perfect cross, exactly what the supermarkets are after.

Brave bull. If he gets a kick there he will be out for the season. It will have even an expensive ride

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I just about know 1 end of a horse from the other, that's my knowledge

got a friend in Scotland who's big into Arabian, don't know if this will work it you're not friend with her on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/radioscotland.leighann/media_set?set=a.471821762883264.1073741831.100001663336043&type=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

:eek:

Wow.

A new breed angus + pony= PONUS

jt65 wrote: »
    I just about know 1 end of a horse from the other, that's my knowledge

got a friend in Scotland who's big into Arabian, don't know if this will work it you're not friend with her on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/radioscotland.leighann/media_set?set=a.471821762883264.1073741831.100001663336043&type=3

Unfortunately no but no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

my new horsey
    10155408_528021713982725_2453831714083603950_n.jpg

naughto wrote: »
    my new horsey

You wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

you did look at the pic reggie ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

my new horsey

Good one!!

I think he meant

ista.jpg

you did look at the pic reggie ??

Of course.... Seen that one before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I think he meant

ista.jpg

Istabraq right? Surprised even myself there.

• Advertisement

My early morning wake up call- CSQ heifer calf @ 295 days.

Time for some smaller bulls methinks.
    tenox9Ll.jpg

My early morning wake up call- CSQ heifer calf @ 295 days.

Time for some smaller bulls methinks.
    tenox9Ll.jpg

gorgeous tell me the bloodlines:) of the mother

gorgeous tell me the bloodlines:)

Jaysus memory don't fail me now.... cow is by Paco lm (PAC?) out of a lmX brfr that I have a picture of here - http://i.imgur.com/djqyG1S.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

photo_zpsfe20293a.jpg

Bodacious wrote: »
    photo_zpsfe20293a.jpg

Thats some funny looking pig! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

photo_zpsfe20293a.jpg

Rather her looking at the window than the lads with the hi-vis vests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

photo_zpsfe20293a.jpg

That's an awful clean lookin car for a farmer! :pac:

Wrote a phone number in the dust on my dash last week :D

wheres the NCT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

New calves. The roan is a heifer sired by AI Charolais, out of 1/2BB, 1/2dairy cow. The black is a bull calf. Sired by AI Angus, dam is 1/2Limo, 1/4Charolais, 1/4dairy.He's the first calf for his dam.
    2014_04080005.jpg
    2014_04110002.jpg

• Advertisement

wheres the NCT ?

That's what the animal is wondering too

wheres the NCT ?

Sure it's brand new 141, doesn't need it:D

I remember when the uncle bought a new car a few years ago, he said 'This car will never carry meal or hay in the back, tis the best car ive bought'....2 weeks later, he made 2 trips in the one evening, one with 7 bales of hay and the other had 8 or 9 bags of nuts in the back! :D

pack of those cheap Tesco dash wipes never too far away, the back of jeep is a different story!

Sure it's brand new 141, doesn't need it:D

Yep clean out of the box.. I wish:-)

Moving the heifers yesterday .. They follow the bag anywhere ..
    He has 5 maybe 6 of the 7 bulled in 2 weeks .. Will scan and sell a few
    photo_zps46867d66.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Moving the heifers yesterday .. They follow the bag anywhere ..
    He has 5 maybe 6 of the 7 bulled in 2 weeks .. Will scan and sell a few
    photo_zps46867d66.jpg

Who does the farm roadways for ya Bod? :D

A friend had this little lad yesterday, we weighed him today at between 75-80kg, out of a cwi stock bull. Never have I seen such a horse of a calf before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fine calf? Who's the redhead? :D

Fine calf? Who's the redhead? :D

I'm the redhead ;)

A friend had this little lad yesterday, we weighed him today at between 75-80kg, out of a cwi stock bull. Never have I seen such a horse of a calf before!

Poor cow. Some size of a lad!
    Was talking to our AI man in town today and he was saying calves are coming big everywhere this year from what he sees and hears on his travels.
    Silage quality with the good summer may be a factor.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement