Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

leg wax wrote: »
    got out again with cam
    Fantastic stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Thats it! I'm never looking at another picure or video of Leg Wax's stock again. It's just depressing to see a lad that far ahead of you in the breeding game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Thats it! I'm never looking at another picure or video of Leg Wax's stock again. It's just depressing to see a lad that far ahead of you in the breeding game!
    thanks for that:confused:, but i have been traveling lately looking at part bulls and i am finding out how far behind i am,i am coverted from now on its bb in the ai gun and part bull to mop up, cant get a bull that i like for this season but have bought a bull to get me out of trouble ,all the good bulls are been sold a year before they can serve a cow so will go shopping in the summer again for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

thanks for that:confused:, but i have been traveling lately looking at part bulls and i am finding out how far behind i am,i am coverted from now on its bb in the ai gun and part bull to mop up, cant get a bull that i like for this season but have bought a bull to get me out of trouble ,all the good bulls are been sold a year before they can serve a cow so will go shopping in the summer again for next year.

why do you think your behind? another question,I think you said there before you used to milk, are you able to maintain your farmer income on sucklers compared to the milk, also when you got out of the milk had you bred some of your own sucklers or had to start from scratch and buy in cows/ heifers. the reason i ask is your calves all look fairly consistant good quality so just wondering how you build up the cows to that level

why do you think your behind? another question,I think you said there before you used to milk, are you able to maintain your farmer income on sucklers compared to the milk, also when you got out of the milk had you bred some of your own sucklers or had to start from scratch and buy in cows/ heifers. the reason i ask is your calves all look fairly consistant good quality so just wondering how you build up the cows to that level
    i went into 2 yards in the last 2 days both men had 60 or so sucklers both were part men, the cows were amazing and the calves even better,i can tell you part is the way ahead for shapey cattle.have i the same income now ,no,but i am earning more per hour worked compared to milking,theres no work with sucklers compared to milking i have all my work done with 80 sucklers on a normal day in the time it took me to do 1 milking.i mind the children do most of the house work .i sold the milk cows and bought in everthing.if i see a cow or heifer that is better than a cow at home i buy her,as you know i dont put money into fancey buildings because its the cow that makes the money not the concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

i went into 2 yards in the last 2 days both men had 60 or so sucklers both were part men, the cows were amazing and the calves even better,i can tell you part is the way ahead for shapey cattle....
    He's 'taking the soup' lads. Would you go the full hog to purebred registered?

pakalasa wrote: »
    He's 'taking the soup' lads. Would you go the full hog to purebred registered?
    yes yes yes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

i know a top quality suckler farmer in the south east who has won some awards.he changed from limousin to partenise a couple of years ago.worst move he ever made, too many uneven calves no uniformity at all.be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I would hazard a guess and say the reason there is a lack of uniformity would be that the breed is relatively new and not well established here?

Not an expert now but I am guessing that uniformity will come with time.

• Advertisement

i know a top quality suckler farmer in the south east who has won some awards.he changed from limousin to partenise a couple of years ago.worst move he ever made, too many uneven calves no uniformity at all.be careful
    well tell him not to go blue if he wants uniformity,white,blue,black,brown,even red, muscle,no muscle , growth,no growth,bad feet, ok feet,the list is endless.:D

well tell him not to go blue if he wants uniformity,white,blue,black,brown,even red, muscle,no muscle , growth,no growth,bad feet, ok feet,the list is endless.:D
    If you're not happy with the blues, what chance is there for the rest of us.

On the uniformity thing, how much of this is down to the lack of back breeding in the cow. I think if you have enough of breeding across generations with the same 'type' then you will get less variation. Look at Dairying, all cows are like peas in a pod and not many lacking in milk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If you're not happy with the blues, what chance is there for the rest of us.

On the uniformity thing, how much of this is down to the lack of back breeding in the cow. I think if you have enough of breeding across generations with the same 'type' then you will get less variation. Look at Dairying, all cows are like peas in a pod and not many lacking in milk too.

Throw into the mix too that many suckler herds are a composite of every breed known to man.
    I do think if you have a uniform type of cow it will make uniformity easier from the bulls side. Also the nearer your bull is in type to your cows type will favour uniformity. Much more of the Irish suckler herd is closer in type to say Lim than BB so using a Lim stock bull will tend to deliver more uniformity.
    Personally though if the animal is functionally correct and of suitable quality, I like a bit of variety!

On the subject of BB. It was always a complaint of mine, the consistancy and the gammy legs/feet. When you get it right with the BB cross though you can breed serious cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Spent the last two days drawing shale down off the side of this montain to the green fields way off down in the valley.
    photo-7.jpg

30 loads later..

photo-6.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Even though its an se model you have to appreciate the way everything is laid out in the deeres, Everything is at your hand and nothing complicated in the se models!!

photo-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

do ya ever use charolais bulls leg?

Spent the last two days drawing shale down off the side of this montain to the green fields way off down in the valley.
    photo-7.jpg

30 loads later..

photo-6.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Even though its an se model you have to appreciate the way everything is laid out in the deeres, Everything is at your hand and nothing complicated in the se models!!

photo-4.jpg

good strong looking stuff Redzer, dont suppose you could throw a few loads down kilshanny way :P

• Advertisement

good strong looking stuff Redzer, dont suppose you could throw a few loads down kilshanny way :P

It actually wouldnt be too far out of the way at all, If it was a clear day and you had a pair of binoculars you would probably have been able to see me above under the mast in slieve elva!! Nice clean stuff now alright and free:D Just a bit of a bitch where its located, There is some hill to go down with a massive fall off one side of it and 2 hairpin bends and theres no brakes in the dump trailer, A few ass clenching moments were had!! You shouldnt have said kilshanny....you have me pondering now, The auld lad does a lot of tricking with cattle with a lad a small bit over from the church, wont mention any names but im sure you know who im on about:rolleyes:

limo_100 wrote: »
    do ya ever use charolais bulls leg?
    1000 th post christ:eek:, my answer to you and charolais is no because i want to make money at suckling:D.

1000 th post christ:eek:, my answer to you and charolais is no because i want to make money at suckling:D.

is that because you dont get the same style in the calf?

is that because you dont get the same style in the calf?
    in normal years of irish prices the blue for shipping was always makeing a lot more money than any other breed simple.this year my good cattle are makeing the same money but my rubbish is up 200 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

in normal years of irish prices the blue for shipping was always makeing a lot more money than any other breed simple.this year my good cattle are makeing the same money but my rubbish is up 200 euro.
    id say your rubbish cattle would be another mans best you have some quailty cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

i went into 2 yards in the last 2 days both men had 60 or so sucklers both were part men, the cows were amazing and the calves even better,i can tell you part is the way ahead for shapey cattle.have i the same income now ,no,but i am earning more per hour worked compared to milking,theres no work with sucklers compared to milking i have all my work done with 80 sucklers on a normal day in the time it took me to do 1 milking.i mind the children do most of the house work .i sold the milk cows and bought in everthing.if i see a cow or heifer that is better than a cow at home i buy her,as you know i dont put money into fancey buildings because its the cow that makes the money not the concrete.

what are they like for calving.

Are you assisting much or will they calve on their own.
    Any C sections?

It actually wouldnt be too far out of the way at all, If it was a clear day and you had a pair of binoculars you would probably have been able to see me above under the mast in slieve elva!! Nice clean stuff now alright and free:D Just a bit of a bitch where its located, There is some hill to go down with a massive fall off one side of it and 2 hairpin bends and theres no brakes in the dump trailer, A few ass clenching moments were had!! You shouldnt have said kilshanny....you have me pondering now, The auld lad does a lot of tricking with cattle with a lad a small bit over from the church, wont mention any names but im sure you know who im on about:rolleyes:

i think i know the lad

Jaysus I'd be slow to write off Charolais that quick!
    We have no problem producing stylish heavy weanlings but then most of our cows are R+ or U.........And that can bring it's own problems!

kboc wrote: »
    what are they like for calving.

Are you assisting much or will they calve on their own.
    Any C sections?
    i find them fine with no probs but bulls like ovo dont suit my cows,as at the ploughing i told lads that out of the first 10 animals to calve i had 4 born backwards ,2 of these were heifers and they were sectioned,and 1 calf was dead.its been plain sailing since thank god.if i had aberdeen angus or hereford cows i would be with them at the most important time of suckling,no calf = no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

i find them fine with no probs but bulls like ovo dont suit my cows,as at the ploughing i told lads that out of the first 10 animals to calve i had 4 born backwards ,2 of these were heifers and they were sectioned,and 1 calf was dead.its been plain sailing since thank god.if i had aberdeen angus or hereford cows i would be with them at the most important time of suckling,no calf = no money.

sorry legwax my fault I was not clear,

I meant the Parts regarding calving ease

what ai bulls did you use leg? and which ones worked best for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

As day was fine i took couple of photos of KIB calf born Monday

what ai bulls did you use leg? and which ones worked best for you?
    sultan is the bull that i am going with this year,some great calves off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

My Steed with trailer

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11793

Possibly the best investment ever made on the farm!

sultan is the bull that i am going with this year,some great calves off him.

if hes working well for ya then u'd be right ta stick with him. Did you not use KYR last year and if ya did why are you not using him again?

• Advertisement

First picture is a bad shot of a good FL22 weanling.

The rest are of the cows and calves that have been out wintered. They have a yard that they can eat at the round feeder and spend the rest of their time in the field behind. As you can see, the calves have dressed for the conditions.

Here's some pictures from 9 acres of bog that I started to reclaim last October. I walked it today and it is very wet with a lot of surface water sitting on top. Hopefully by late spring, it will have dried out sufficiently for me to be able to get a digger and dozer back into it. I have a lot of soil stockpiled which I hope to push into the lower parts of the fields. I'll then fence and reseed it. Whe it develops a bit of a drier skin on top, I intend draining it with connacht agri pipes - this could be 2 years time.

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11795

The field was previously very wet because the previous owners never made any drains around it. Drains from the land above it flowed right into the field and across it, saturating it continuously year after year. In summer it dries out fully and you can drive over any part of it with a tractor - hard to believe when you look at picture 1. Hopefully the drains shown in this picture will take the water and help it to dry out and stay dry.

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11794

All drains have been cleaned to over 6ft deep and hedges have been broken down (This land isn't in reps). I recon that I only ever got 30% of the feeding value of these 9 acres. 3 acres were covered with bushes. 3 acres were very low and the water had no way to escape during the wetter months. The driest 3 acres are very dry - as solid today as in any day of summer. At least if I can have the 9 acres in grass and drains a couple of feet lower than the soil, the cattle might get a bit longer eating on it. I'll leave it in a way that I can fence off the wettest piece of it (shown in picture 1) if its too wet for grazing. Eur2000 spent on it so far. Eur600 in fencing material already purchased. Budgeting Eur1000 more for the dozer for a day and the digger for 2 days.

And they said I couldn't make more land :D;):D:p

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11796

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11797

Plenty of work ahead of you Reilig. We're seeing it in it's sins now. When ground conditions are right you'll do more in a few days than swaning around in muck.
    It's nice to have a project ahead of yourself!

Lovely heifer. Will you breed from her?

The rest are of the cows and calves that have been out wintered. They have a yard that they can eat at the round feeder and spend the rest of their time in the field behind. As you can see, the calves have dressed for the conditions.

smashing looking heifer

Really nice heifer alright. Is she quiet, Fl22 and all that?:D

I wont because its a bullock! :D

like I said, bad picture!

or are we talking about the same picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

reilig wrote: »
    Here's some pictures from 9 acres of bog that I started to reclaim last October. I walked it today and it is very wet with a lot of surface water sitting on top. Hopefully by late spring, it will have dried out sufficiently for me to be able to get a digger and dozer back into it. I have a lot of soil stockpiled which I hope to push into the lower parts of the fields. I'll then fence and reseed it. Whe it develops a bit of a drier skin on top, I intend draining it with connacht agri pipes - this could be 2 years time.

And they said I couldn't make more land :D;):D:p

Is that gravel under the bog Reilig, or daub - with no soakage?
    What depth will you put the pipes at do you think ?

• Advertisement

I wont because its a bullock! :D

like I said, bad picture!

or are we talking about the same picture?

:D

Milton09 wrote: »
    Is that gravel under the bog Reilig, or daub - with no soakage?
    What depth will you put the pipes at do you think ?

There's daub under the drier parts of the bog. In the wetter parts you have to go 20ft to get solid.

The pipes will go in at between 1.5 and 2 foot deep. I have 2000 meters of pipe to dig in on other land this spring. Will take some pictures to show how they work.

Reilig, That daub subsoil you mentioned, did you get any water coming through at all on the sides of the trenches you dug. Even the odd spring..?

Was gone to kerry with herself for a few days, Went wandering around and took a few pics of the intensively farmed sheep in the gap of dunloe.
    photo-8.jpg

If you look hard enough you might spot this lad:D

photo-9.jpg

Reilig, That daub subsoil you mentioned, did you get any water coming through at all on the sides of the trenches you dug. Even the odd spring..?

Yea, there would be little springs flowing into the drain from parts of the daub. In this particular place, its more of a chawlky daub with a bit of gavel through it as opposed to solid glub.

Taking a rest in molls gap

111ce3b3.jpg

The view down the gap of dunloe. Some scenery but I wouldnt like to be trying to herd it.

ff788309.jpg

The connor pass on the way to dingle. It was so foggy you couldnt get a proper picture up there but there is some view of it, Would love to be up ther on a clear day. Tis a tuff sheep that would survive above on it. Spent a few hours looking for the dexters on mount brandon but no sign:(

dde6a35d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

reilig wrote: »
    My Steed with trailer

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11793

Possibly the best investment ever made on the farm!

Great set up Reilig, youŕe like me with the white fish box and the ratchet strap on the go! Fire everything into it, chainsaw, oil, petrol, helmet etc:)

A few of the cows in the winterage.
    DSC00061.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

A few of the cows in the winterize.

I say its not too easy to top that field.

A few of the cows in the winterage.

Wow, they're in great shape. Nice low cows like that are suited to that type of ground and I'll bet they bring good calves? They're like the mountain cows around here only mountain cows are usually half starved thin animals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement