Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Pie Man wrote: »
    I say its not too easy to top that field.
    We let the cows top it pie man, It'll be as bare as your kitchen floor by march. You might be suprised but it is actually a very good winterage, alot of them only have heather and long white dead grass.
    reilig wrote: »
    Wow, they're in great shape. Nice low cows like that are suited to that type of ground and I'll bet they bring good calves? They're like the mountain cows around here only mountain cows are usually half starved thin animals.

The are so far and havnt got an ounce of feeding yet. There is a lot to be said for it. Alot of people would think its good for nothing but I think we are at a great advantage to people on heavy ground that might have to house cows for 5 months. They breed ok, We could be carrying better cows to be honest. I find the younger cows we have which would be mainly charlaois out of sim cows arent breeding great and the older cows are breeding well but getting too old, That sim cow in the first pic has a button tag and I would say she is around 14 years old and there is older than her there. Most of our cows would want to be replaced over the next few years to be honest. There is no doubt they are fine and healthy though. It makes farming full time around here possible for a lot of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

We let the cows top it pie man, It'll be as bare as your kitchen floor by march. You might be suprised but it is actually a very good winterage, alot of them only have heather and long white dead grass.

The are so far and havnt got an ounce of feeding yet. There is a lot to be said for it. Alot of people would think its good for nothing but I think we are at a great advantage to people on heavy ground that might have to house cows for 5 months. They breed ok, We could be carrying better cows to be honest. I find the younger cows we have which would be mainly charlaois out of sim cows arent breeding great and the older cows are breeding well but getting too old, That sim cow in the first pic has a button tag and I would say she is around 14 years old and there is older than her there. Most of our cows would want to be replaced over the next few years to be honest. There is no doubt they are fine and healthy though. It makes farming full time around here possible for a lot of lads.

I'd love a few acres of winterage like that! You're sure to get a few extra years out of the cows, and therefore a few extra weanlings per cow with it. Sure beats been cooked up in a slatted shed for the winter! Makes for pleasureable farming;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Taking a rest in molls gap

111ce3b3.jpg

The view down the gap of dunloe. Some scenery but I wouldnt like to be trying to herd it.

ff788309.jpg

The connor pass on the way to dingle. It was so foggy you couldnt get a proper picture up there but there is some view of it, Would love to be up ther on a clear day. Tis a tuff sheep that would survive above on it. Spent a few hours looking for the dexters on mount brandon but no sign:(

dde6a35d.jpg
    Now you know why Kerry farmer's are sucessful when they leave Kerry

just do it wrote: »
    I'd love a few acres of winterage like that! You're sure to get a few extra years out of the cows, and therefore a few extra weanlings per cow with it. Sure beats been cooked up in a slatted shed for the winter! Makes for pleasureable farming;)

Sure we are lucky to have it and we dont have a slatted shed so we dont know any different. Once they have teeth they will be grand above in it is the auld lads motto:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

A few of the cows in the winterage.

Good solid looking cattle alright.

Wow, they're in great shape. Nice low cows like that are suited to that type of ground and I'll bet they bring good calves? They're like the mountain cows around here only mountain cows are usually half starved thin animals.

Got a few pics of some of their calves today. These are the heifers I had picked out for breeding. Some of them may be lacking a bit in conformation but there is piles of milk in all of them.

DSC00065.jpg

The only heifer in the group that was bought off a neighbour for €600

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

My favourite heifer out of the group. A bit light on the shoulder but she is out of a super cow. Checked her up on icbf a few years ago and all her calves had graded u's. The makings of a super breeding cow.

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

Our new motorway finished. Going building a crush now where the digger is.

DSC00076.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

This is a 2 week old RYP calf out of a red lm cow. I am amazed at how quickly he is filling out. From the minute he was born i thought he looked a good square calf. He is thriving well now. It is nice to have the odd decent calf for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

RobinBanks wrote: »
    This is a 2 week old RYP calf out of a red lm cow. I am amazed at how quickly he is filling out. From the minute he was born i thought he looked a good square calf. He is thriving well now. It is nice to have the odd decent calf for a change.

Jaysus, he's a maker Robin I'd say. Look at the low tail on him and the width at kidneys. Ever show cattle??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

a nice one for cash brown :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

DSC00076.jpg

Some man to cast a shadow Redzer:D.

Lovely healthy stock too!
    Would you consider using an AI bull with good maternal traits to breed your own replacements?

• Advertisement

Thats a serious calf. Look at the depth of body on him:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Lovely calf, quality animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

This is a 2 week old RYP calf out of a red lm cow. I am amazed at how quickly he is filling out.

A serious calf. Hope he's lucky for ya ;) Milk is a mighty man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Fine cattle there redzer, everyone should have a bit of winterage by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Fine cattle there redzer, everyone should have a bit of winterage by the looks of things.

Would love a couple of hundred acres of winterage like Redzers to winter the cattle. Best way to keep an animal over the winter IMO

Have kept a few weanlings out all winter in a paddock we are going to reseed - they are in some condition and have done a terrific job on the paddock, cleaned it bare.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Some man to cast a shadow Redzer:D.

Lovely healthy stock too!
    Would you consider using an AI bull with good maternal traits to breed your own replacements?

I have my life documented through photos:rolleyes: Would you believe I actually have done the ai course and have my own tank and all the gear but I go cutting turf with a lad in april and I go at silage then with another lad for the summer and to be honest I dont have the time at the moment to be pricking with them. Did it two years ago with 15 cows and I was going out the field at 2 in the morning trying to bring in cows and do them. There is no doubt I had good calves from it but it wasnt worth the hassle of it I thought. Our bull got hurt then and he couldnt clean up and we ended up with 2 dry cows. Its all well and good to be producing great quality calves from A.I but you need them all in calf, its not worth it otherwise. Our facility's arent suited to it at the moment either, its always a 2 man job to bring in the cows and I am of the opinion if you cant do something by yourself it's not worth doing. You cant rely on someone the cows are used to to turn them in every time there is one bulling and god forbid you bring a stranger into the field!! All those heifers are out of very milky cows and the bull has 4 stars for milk so the should be ok. Like I said they are probably lacking a bit in conformation but they are our own, I know all their breeding, I dont need to be worrying about them getting redwater and they are as quiet as mice, They are worth one whip of the bull anyway and if they dont breed great they can get the hook.

Powerful looking calf there robin, Nicely marked too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Here's some pictures from 9 acres of bog that I started to reclaim last October. I walked it today and it is very wet with a lot of surface water sitting on top. Hopefully by late spring, it will have dried out sufficiently for me to be able to get a digger and dozer back into it. I have a lot of soil stockpiled which I hope to push into the lower parts of the fields. I'll then fence and reseed it. Whe it develops a bit of a drier skin on top, I intend draining it with connacht agri pipes - this could be 2 years time.

Hi Reilig,

Whats your thinking in not putting in the Connaught agri pipes after the dozer and digger are finished but before you reseed?

If you do it at this stage it won't matter if the ground is dug up a bit but it will if its nicely growing after reseeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Redz,
    Some fine looking heifers there. I especially like the look of the one you bought from the neighbour. She looks big and square at the hips.
    Have you many LimXSimm cows, and how do you find them?
    It's just that I'm going down that breeding route myself. I have a few heifers I bred myself, to calve in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi Reilig,

Whats your thinking in not putting in the Connaught agri pipes after the dozer and digger are finished but before you reseed?

If you do it at this stage it won't matter if the ground is dug up a bit but it will if its nicely growing after reseeding?

Its loose bog. I have moved a lot of clay into the wetter places. I think it would be better if the clay that I moved had time to settle. If i put the pipes in before the clay settles, the drains will be up and down and there will be no flow in them. Also, i'd prefer to let the whole thing soak out so that I am able to know where the drains will be most needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Its loose bog. I have moved a lot of clay into the wetter places. I think it would be better if the clay that I moved had time to settle. If i put the pipes in before the clay settles, the drains will be up and down and there will be no flow in them. Also, i'd prefer to let the whole thing soak out so that I am able to know where the drains will be most needed.
    will the new regulations regarding drainage and applying for planning effect you reilig or is that in place yet? Ive some drainage planned for this year, can you just go ahead with it or does anyone know the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Yes that makes sense, especially about knowing where the drains are needed, after leveling bog the wet spots can move.
    We used a subsoiler in a very wet field and the wet spots all moved but didn't disappear! There was a reasonable hill right through the field so it should have worked out better, now I think it would have best to leave it alone.
    We ploughed it afterwards which left the top very loose for the first year, couldn't put cattle on it as they would have just dug it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

will the new regulations regarding drainage and applying for planning effect you reilig or is that in place yet? Ive some drainage planned for this year, can you just go ahead with it or does anyone know the story?

The regulations are in now I think. I don't know anything about them though.

I checked with my planner last october to see if I needed planning or to give notice about my intention to clear it off and make new drains. I didn't at the time, but was advised to start the job before the new year.

I'm sure somebody on here knows a bit more about the new rules and can fill us in??

pakalasa wrote: »
    Redz,
    Some fine looking heifers there. I especially like the look of the one you bought from the neighbour. She looks big and square at the hips.
    Have you many LimXSimm cows, and how do you find them?
    It's just that I'm going down that breeding route myself. I have a few heifers I bred myself, to calve in the next few weeks.

Dont have any at the moment but hoping the heifers will work out. Have a good few charolais crossed with sim but I would prefer a sim cow to them to be honest, they lose a lot of milk. If theres milk in the bull which there is supposed to be they should be the finest.

How to warm a fiat:D

photo-11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Not the normal North Clare sunrise.

img3613s.jpg

img00242201202041254.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's our little/big bull.
    A section with our vet + follow on injections is €255.

13spanner wrote: »

img3613s.jpg

Jaysus, You must have been up earlier than me:D

Jaysus, You must have been up earlier than me:D
    That was about 8 o clock before school, was alot colder than it looks there :D there's more hazel being cleared in Lemanagh, we mightn't get to knock it all but sure we'll try :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

img3613s.jpg
    Only time ive ever seen that, i've been too drunk to remembr :D

That was about 8 o clock before school, was alot colder than it looks there :D there's more hazel being cleared in Lemanagh, we mightn't get to knock it all but sure we'll try :D

Trevor said that to me alright. He said he was looking at the maps and that he would be the rest of the year there:p

Trevor said that to me alright. He said he was looking at the maps and that he would be the rest of the year there:p
    The way it is he'll be lucky to be out of there before the silage starts up again! :D

Dont have any at the moment but hoping the heifers will work out. Have a good few charolais crossed with sim but I would prefer a sim cow to them to be honest, they lose a lot of milk. If theres milk in the bull which there is supposed to be they should be the finest.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2967416
    well redzer , these must be up your direction?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2967416
    well redzer , these must be up your direction?
    2 miles away vander!! Lovely bunch of heifers, the same man always has smashing bunch of weanlings, his bull is by nelson I think.

2 miles away vander!! Lovely bunch of heifers, the same man always has smashing bunch of weanlings, his bull is by nelson I think.

i see one of them in the pic has a black nose, its either ****e or a bit of parthenaise perhaps, jees the world of people are advertising in donedeal before mart now, good idea i suppose, i like the way he puts in the pen numbers, easy find them down there

i see one of them in the pic has a black nose, its either ****e or a bit of parthenaise perhaps

We have a Lim (Highlander) X Shorthorn cow with a black nose that always brings a black nose in her calves!

i see one of them in the pic has a black nose, its either ****e or a bit of parthenaise perhaps, jees the world of people are advertising in donedeal before mart now, good idea i suppose, i like the way he puts in the pen numbers, easy find them down there

Iv seen no parts round this side yet. I know he has a few angus cows though so that could be it. Good idea with the pen numbers alright. Some timber under them heifers!!

Yard built:D Few gates, Few loads of shale and a crush now and we will be away with it!!
    DSC00083.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

Kilshanny calf for you here vander!!

DSC00079.jpg

August/Sepetmber calves that are still sucking, Could nearly be weaned now.

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

stonehenge crush :D

• Advertisement

Fred Flintstone would be proud of ya!

I can't wait to see the finished article.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Fred Flintstone would be proud of ya!

I can't wait to see the finished article.

Nor can I. Hasnt cost me a cent yet:D Must get a load of handy stones and top off the wall to take the rough edge off it. He put in a few stones as big as my jeep, dont know how he moved them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You DO realise that in 100 years time, that'll have a preservation order slapped on it?
    And in 200 years time, it'll be the subject of a thread like this!: Fairy forts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Rovi wrote: »
    You DO realise that in 100 years time, that'll have a preservation order slapped on it?

There should be a preservation order put on it right now.

An Taisce should incorporate it into their logo.

I could well believe that 30 years of bad luck and crooked calves might befall anyone that would disturb a cultural wonder like that.

It makes Anglo/Angry Joe/ Joe-the-Trucker's effort on Achill island look like a caravan.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14391:no-december-21-sunlight-shining-on-achill-henge&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Redzer for Taoiseach. He's a one-man stimulus plan.

Cheered me right up anyway!

LostCovey

Rovi wrote: »
    LostCovey wrote: »
    There should be a preservation order put on it right now.

An Taisce should incorporate it into their logo.

I could well believe that 30 years of bad luck and crooked calves might befall anyone that would disturb a cultural wonder like that.

It makes Anglo/Angry Joe/ Joe-the-Trucker's effort on Achill island look like a caravan.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14391:no-december-21-sunlight-shining-on-achill-henge&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Redzer for Taoiseach. He's a one-man stimulus plan.

Cheered me right up anyway!

LostCovey

Haha, I take it this isint the common way to build a crush up the country so. Everyone around here does it with big stones!!

It will be part of an archaeology dig in the future alright. It will probably be lumped in with Stonehenge and the likes. They wont be able to figure what the plastic tags are for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

pakalasa wrote: »
    They wont be able to figure what the plastic tags are for though.
    They're obviously part of the ceremonial garments worn by the sacrificial maidens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

If they find any of these small round ones, they will come to the conclusion that belief in the God BVD flourished in the early 21st century.

Clearly this structure is a rare example of a BVD temple.

...or what the engraving "Redzer waz ere" means

• Advertisement

img3613s.jpg

Do you by any chance live in The Lion King film?:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement