Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

13spanner wrote: »
    img3763gu.jpg
    Red white head twin bullocks arrived during the week. Named Eddie and Buzz, after the neighbour said ''By god they'll be hardy bucks'' :D

img3734o.jpg
    They managed to build it fair straight the first day :)
    Jaysus everyone is gone mad for the whiteheads down your side, the uncle got a fit and went off and bought one aswel last year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

This is a DEP heifer out of a RUZ cow. Calf is 3 weeks old.

xpat3l.jpg

LFqKXl.jpg

bnaeMl.jpg

4ubgHl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

RobinBanks wrote: »
    This is a DEP heifer out of a RUZ cow. Calf is 3 weeks old.

xpat3l.jpg

LFqKXl.jpg

bnaeMl.jpg

4ubgHl.jpg

Great calf. Any trouble calving? And what's the cows docility like? RUZ has a poor docility rating on icbf being in the worst 1% accross breeds:eek:

LFqKXl.jpg

That looks like a niffy calving/ handling pen you've got there as well! Is the feed barrier good at stopping calves coming out onto the silage? It looks to be at a good height. The height of mine are a bit of a disaster. Even the self-locking gates don't always close because they're set so low. I've been meaning to raise them up a bit but once the cattle are out it gets forgotten about!:rolleyes:. This year....

just do it wrote: »
    Great calf. Any trouble calving? And what's the cows docility like? RUZ has a poor docility rating on icbf being in the worst 1% accross breeds:eek:

She is very quiet. I only have 12 cows so its easy to manage them. Nearly all are LM's and I can pet them all out in the field. I know this isnt always the case but when you have a small number maybe its easier to give them a bit of attention!

No trouble getting the calf out. A leg was down though. Once I got it up I got her out ok. I needed the jack though. Was'nt very big when she was born but is developing well now

just do it wrote: »
    That looks like a niffy calving/ handling pen you've got there as well! Is the feed barrier good at stopping calves coming out onto the silage? It looks to be at a good height. The height of mine are a bit of a disaster. Even the self-locking gates don't always close because they're set so low. I've been meaning to raise them up a bit but once the cattle are out it gets forgotten about!:rolleyes:. This year....

I built that calving pin this year. I converted a bay in a hay shed that wasn't been used. It took me a long time because I used to go at it when I would come home from work in the evenings. I made everything myself and I was happy with how it turned out but some things I could have done better.

No hassle with calves coming out yet but they are usually not there very long. I just left this one here for so long because I have none ready for calving yet.

Here are some pics of the other side of the pin

TzESil.jpg

laZi3l.jpg

GQ1qJl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Robin,
    Fine looking calf. What is the back breeding in the cow?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Robin,
    Fine looking calf. What is the back breeding in the cow?

She is by RUZ out of a CF52 cow. The CF52 cow was out of a CH that my father bought years ago. I think there was a touch of shorthorn in that cow.

Ya, I've seen it myself, you need good breeding back along the cow to get the good BB weanlings. 1/2 bred cows can be very hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

No trouble getting the calf out. A leg was down though. Once I got it up I got her out ok. I needed the jack though. Was'nt very big when she was born but is developing well now

You would know that you were from the wesht! out in these parts thats exactly what we would call trouble at calving!

• Advertisement

You would know that you were from the wesht! out in these parts thats exactly what we would call trouble at calving!

Maybe I should have phrased that differently :) If the leg wasn't down she would have calved no problem! DEP is 19% calving difficulty

Maybe I should have phrased that differently :) If the leg wasn't down she would have calved no problem! DEP is 19% calving difficulty
    if it wasnt for the leg down would you have needed the jack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

trouble calving is when u have to big men o nthe jack and the fecking rope on the claves snaps and the calves have way out .the sh1te his the fan then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

naughto wrote: »
    trouble calving is when u have to big men o nthe jack and the fecking rope on the claves snaps and the calves have way out .the sh1te his the fan then

It's only trouble once. It happened me three year ago. I haven't calved a cow since without having a second set of ropes in the shed.
    We only use the heavy blue/red ropes now. In fact I see the claving jack in the shed there with the two sets of ropes hanging off it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Then it's time for the handful of straw and grab the legs!

if its a big bb you in trouble it happend wounce luckly we got him out but man it was some job

never realised u wher from mayo karen what part?iam in space

If I have to use the jack its a hard calving in my book. Guess I still have a dairy mans attitude to calving

if it wasnt for the leg down would you have needed the jack?

I think she would have calved ok I used the jack as a lever I didn't need to use the racket. I suppose I was worried that I may have done damage or upset something with all the handling and I just wanted to get the calf out. the cow was ready for calving So I thought it better just to get her out. I don't have much experience with calving. That was the first time I had to get a leg up but I have been getting some good advice from a pedigree breeder not far away and I knew the basics.

• Advertisement

If I have to use the jack its a hard calving in my book. Guess I still have a dairy mans attitude to calving

I agree with you bogman. Lads forget the jack exerts x10 the force when pulling. And as for if the ropes snap, maybe the calf should be coming out the side in the first place!

How do I do it? I tried today but there is no easy way to do it on the mobile version of boards.ie...

never realised u wher from mayo karen what part?iam in space

In space? Close to e so, I'm from Venus;)

I love digging :D:pac::pac::pac:

photo-35.jpg

Karen112 wrote: »
    In space? Close to e so, I'm from Venus;)
    chaned it before i loged off last night lets just say its the main town in mayo

chaned it before i loged off last night lets just say its the main town in mayo

I'm not originally from here so that's as much use to me as a toothbrush to Donald Duck:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

photo-35.jpg

I could do with that yoke for digging my veg garden :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is that all your own gear Redzer ? Are you going clearing and concreting all the farm? :D:D:p

Muckit wrote: »
    Is that all your own gear Redzer ? Are you going clearing and concreting all the farm? :D:D:p

No, the digger is belong to a lad I work with now and again cutting turf and things. I'd have a fair job made out of the place if I had it for a year!!

No, the digger is belong to a lad I work with now and again cutting turf and things. I'd have a fair job made out of the place if I had it for a year!!
    Is it legal to reclaim land like that in the burren. I would have thought they have closed down on everything like that now.

Is it legal to reclaim land like that in the burren. I would have thought they have closed down on everything like that now.

A lot of our land is SAC but not all of it. You can do whatever you want where its not once its on green land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bare looking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

6841709654_985388ca49_z.jpg

Just learning how to embed photos from Flickr :rolleyes: ;)

Photo taken last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

an extra can of grease might have been cheaper

dar31 wrote: »
    an extra can of grease might have been cheaper

What have you to replace, bushes, king pin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

What have you to replace, bushes, king pin?

the main pivot where the axle meets the chassis had to be rebuilt, and new bushes. this caused the shaft to run off line and the splines on the diff were damaged, they need to be rebuilt as well, done the king pin bushes as well while it was out.
    done it last week, dropped out the axle our selves and sent it off to get done.

dar31 wrote: »
    the main pivot where the axle meets the chassis had to be rebuilt, and new bushes. this caused the shaft to run off line and the splines on the diff were damaged, they need to be rebuilt as well, done the king pin bushes as well while it was out.
    done it last week, dropped out the axle our selves and sent it off to get done.

Oh sh*t ya, forgot about the 4WD.... feck. Expensive I bet :o

Well it'I be tight as a camel's ar*e in a sandstorm when you get it back. Keep the grease gun to hand ;)

qoXkI.jpg

New arrival yesterday evening. Dam sprung very quick so we had to calve on the slats. Dam's a PB off Navarin. Sire is Westside Bob (BB again)- Thankfully no section!

EDIT- Forgot to say it's a heifer.

p3180016.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p3180024.jpg

p3180027.jpg

The few weanling heifers I let out there on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

p3180024.jpg

p3180027.jpg

The few weanling heifers I let out there on Thursday.

nice stock and nice grass-:)

Been joyriding on the farm today :D I could drive that yoke all day long.

20120318_151033.jpg

johngalway wrote: »
    Been joyriding on the farm today :D I could drive that yoke all day long.
    When did you buy it? I remember everyone on here telling you to get one ...:D

When did you buy it? I remember everyone on here telling you to get one ...:D

Buy it, I wish, it's just borrowed off the sisters boyfriend...

Half tempted to not give it back, sank in the bog it did, what's the revving noise at night? Jaysus must be the wind :o:o

Sure it moves all types of manure :D I'd be dangerous with a little trailer for it.

20120318_161200.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Half tempted to not give it back, sank in the bog it did, what's the revving noise at night? Jaysus must be the wind :o:o

Sure it moves all types of manure :D I'd be dangerous with a little trailer for it.

20120318_161200.jpg

he is a keeper then;)

20120318_161200.jpg

Your place is grand and rich looking for connemara land john!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

If he asks for your sisters hand in marriage you know what conditions to ask for in return ...
    Unrestricted use of his quad in sickness and health :D:D:D

Our first blonde calf, shaping up well for just under two weeks or so. Bad pic but Mother decided to chase the cat after I got this.
    img00310201203191134.jpg

And our side door PB.
    Not doing as well as we hoped. Then again, it's a heifer's calf so better than a dead one.
    img00313201203191135.jpg

Karen112 wrote: »
    Our first blonde calf, shaping up well for just under two weeks or so. Bad pic but Mother decided to chase the cat after I got this.
    img00310201203191134.jpg

And our side door PB.
    Not doing as well as we hoped. Then again, it's a heifer's calf so better than a dead one.
    img00313201203191135.jpg

Whats the blonde by karen, any trouble with him/her calving?

• Advertisement

Whats the blonde by karen, any trouble with him/her calving?

I always get the name wrong but I think it's Kilmoney Bruce. No problems at all calving, dam is a PB with Ullysus on dam side and Navarin is her sire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement