Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Your place is grand and rich looking for connemara land john!!

Thanks Redzer :D Get's a bit of 18.6.12 and 0.7.30 every year and as good a rest as I can give it between end of tipping and start of lambing. Plenty of bad bits in it yet though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Karen112 wrote: »
    I always get the name wrong but I think it's Kilmoney Bruce. No problems at all calving, dam is a PB with Ullysus on dam side and Navarin is her sire.
    Good to hear no problem calving and a nice thick looking calf he is. Keep the pics coming as he grows!!
    johngalway wrote: »
    Thanks Redzer :D Get's a bit of 18.6.12 and 0.7.30 every year and as good a rest as I can give it between end of tipping and start of lambing. Plenty of bad bits in it yet though!
    It has all the appearance of it too john and not a rush in sight. Have spent a good bit of time exploring connemara with herself and dont think I ever seen fields that green up there!!

It has all the appearance of it too john and not a rush in sight. Have spent a good bit of time exploring connemara with herself and dont think I ever seen fields that green up there!!

I hid the rushes before I took the photos :D Still got some spraying and cutting to do in that dept., got to keep after them or pointless starting to begin with. There's a few corners of lovely green land scattered through out Connemara, some I wouldn't mind rolling up and bringing home to be honest, need a car with a bigger boot first ;) Ya just need to know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I think she's a bull'en! Cow well marked by vasectomised bull. 20120321065440.jpg
    First attempt at embedding a photo from smartphone so fingers crossed:-)

Yeah!, photo worked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

just do it wrote: »
    I think she's a bull'en! Cow well marked by vasectomised bull.
    Is this your first year using a vasectomised bull? Just one thing to be careful off, even though they can be well marked like that, she may not be in true standing heat yet. A young eager bull will try and mount them before they are in standing heat. I made that mistake the first year I had a teaser. I'd AI them, say in the morning, to find them standing that evening.
    Although judging by the photo, I think you're safe........:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Is this your first year using a vasectomised bull? Just one thing to be careful off, even though they can be well marked like that, she may not be in true standing heat yet. A young eager bull will try and mount them before they are in standing heat. I made that mistake the first year I had a teaser. I'd AI them, say in the morning, to find them standing that evening.
    Although judging by the photo, I think you're safe........:D

Agree with you there. This is my second vasectomised bull as the first one turned nasty in the middle of his second season. This lad is ~15m old but was picked as he's been good at picking out cows since he was about 6mo. He's getting bullish as well so he'll be going after this Spring.

I'd the same problem with you AI'ing the cows too early. I now AI about 24hrs later than I was before and last Spring got good results. The bull started at this cow Monday morning and she was well marked by Monday night - definitely enough to make you think of AI'ing here in the morning. As it is I AI'd here Tuesday evening (i.e. 36hrs after bull showing first interest) having booked here in Tuesday morning. The bull was still after her at the time of AI so I'm not sure have I gone too early. I can't say for sure but I think she was standing late Monday night. If I hadn't booked her in and had been around Tuesday (away with work) I may well have left her till Wednesday morning. The one thing I've come to realise with AI is better late than early!

I'll know in 21 days;)

Just to add the bulling cows get some hardship when in the slats. The fecken bull has realised that if he waits for them to stick their head out the feed barrier he has them trapped! And he can be after them for 48 hours!

Found a few pics I had saved on the labtop from ages back.

This is doncombe aga khan, Lovely looking blonde bull, I think eurogene have him. AI code DGK

agakhanongrassmaymuscleshot.jpg

A tank of a part bull I came across for sale in france.

parthenaise.jpg

And a silage rig out that was for sale on donedeal :D

View2-7320744.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

cropm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He's shaping up well after a couple of weeks.:D

• Advertisement

Got half of my 18.6.12 out, 0-7-30 on Friday if I can lay my hands on some. Used my Earthway EV-N-Spread, fancy machinery indeed :D It's basically a canvas bag with a spinner underneath, there's a hatch under the bag that can have it's opening adjusted for various types of material, granular fert, grass seed and such.

It worked quite well, very different from using the bucket but it gave a nice even spread. One problem I found because there's no agitator inside any clusters of granules stuck together tend to block the hatch and cause problems. I'd also avoid any granular fert that had wet bits in it. Happy out though, no sore shoulder from spreading this year :D Sorry for the dark photo, took it getting near dark.

20120319_184828.jpg

Got half of my 18.6.12 out, 0-7-30 on Friday if I can lay my hands on some. Used my Earthway EV-N-Spread, fancy machinery indeed :D It's basically a canvas bag with a spinner underneath, there's a hatch under the bag that can have it's opening adjusted for various types of material, granular fert, grass seed and such.

It worked quite well, very different from using the bucket but it gave a nice even spread. One problem I found because there's no agitator inside any clusters of granules stuck together tend to block the hatch and cause problems. I'd also avoid any granular fert that had wet bits in it. Happy out though, no sore shoulder from spreading this year :D Sorry for the dark photo, took it getting near dark.

20120319_184828.jpg

That looks like a nifty device there john. I take it you wear it on your back? How much land would you cover with it? It looks like a handy thing for grass seed as well.

You'd do a lot in a day if you were of a mind to. I done over 7 acres (grass I'm saving for lambed ewes) over two evenings, but I didn't time myself. If you wanted to spend all day at it I can't see why one person couldn't do 20+ acres a day, bearing in mind I had my 50kg fert bags already distributed around the farm.

There's a strap that goes over my shoulder, so it doesn't go on my back as such. One good thing is to wear a hoodie, I used my hood to protect my shoulder from the strap, worked well.

It was windy yesterday evening here and I noticed that affected the spread, so with grass seed a person would want a very calm day. I'm glad I bought it over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Got half of my 18.6.12 out......used my Earthway EV-N-Spread, fancy machinery indeed

Seems like a handy little device. I really don't know how the older generations sowed seed and fertiliser literally by hand!! And they were deadly accurate by all accounts.

We're using a variation on the 18-6-12 here this year. Goulding Replenish (18-2.5-14 and trace elements) I thought It would be a good choice as I seem to have locked up minerals what with spreading lime on the whole farm last year.

Muckit wrote: »
    Seems like a handy little device. I really don't know how the older generations sowed seed and fertiliser literally by hand!! And they were deadly accurate by all accounts.

We're using a variation on the 18-6-12 here this year. Goulding Replenish (18-2.5-14 and trace elements) I thought It would be a good choice as I seem to have locked up minerals what with spreading lime on the whole farm last year.

I think they would have had seed fiddles and other types of devices. Saw photos of them before when I was looking up how to save myself bother :D

Fert is easy enough to put out by hand, there's nothing hard to it besides the work. Aim by hand improves greatly if the person spreading ends up burning a place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

That kinda device is an old design Muckit. I saw an old one that worked from on a fiddle-like bow.
    I remember cos when I was in school, a class ahead of me had to make one as their leaving cert engineering project. ;)

johngalway wrote:
    Earthway EV-N-Spread
    How much did it set you back? I have to say the idea of getting one is growing on me;). A quad with small spreader would work great for me but I just can't justify the expense of it. Saving like mad at the moment as I'm starting a new build in the next few months:eek:

johngalway wrote:
    Earthway EV-N-Spread
    How much did it set you back? I have to say the idea of getting one is growing on me;). A quad with small spreader would work great for me but I just can't justify the expense of it. Saving like mad at the moment as I'm starting a new build in the next few months:eek:

Good luck with the new build!

I think it cost £50 to buy and £15 to post over, got it on Ebay. Their name is earthway if you Google it their site shows the different models. Quad wouldn't work spreading for me, to many obstacles to drive around.

Got a quick snap of these guys passing the road today. Are they rare breed sheep? The fences were at least 6' high!

p3210010e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Got a quick snap of these guys passing the road today. Are they rare breed sheep? The fences were at least 6' high!

p3210010e.jpg

Jacobs?

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    Jacobs?

Friesans :D

p3210015v.jpg

20120321225549.jpg
    FL22 heifer born on sunday from this nice 25mo SIM springer. She calved herself unassisted. But, but, but the heifer is not accepting the calf and I'm doing this twice a day. I hope I don't have to keep doing it for much longer! I'd much prefer to let them out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Found a few pics I had saved on the labtop from ages back.

This is doncombe aga khan, Lovely looking blonde bull, I think eurogene have him. AI code DGK

agakhanongrassmaymuscleshot.jpg

I used him a couple of times. Got him through Eurogene as you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Been a while since I have seen Jacob ewes. Mad looking with 4 or 6 horns. They seem to be decent mothers.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I used him a couple of times. Got him through Eurogene as you say!

How did he breed for you bizzum? Havnt seen or heard of anything he bred.

I know this calf popped out. Nice enough little fellow. Pic is poor quality I'm afraid!

Pic 0018: I put this pic up on the Sim thread but said I'd show her here too. A Sim bull calf off T-Bone out of a Limx cow. Was hoping for a heifer, maybe next year:)

Pic 0020: Our own young bull, in his sins, by Alcazar. 14/15 mths old and outwintered. He has bulled two cows in the last week so will know soon if they are holding to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Pic 0018: I put this pic up on the Sim thread but said I'd show her here too. A Sim bull calf off T-Bone out of a Limx cow. Was hoping for a heifer, maybe next year:)

Pic 0020: Our own young bull, in his sins, by Alcazar. 14/15 mths old and outwintered. He has bulled two cows in the last week so will know soon if they are holding to him.

another whopper of a cow :) you would want good ground for those cows you have bizzum

• Advertisement

is that your wrapper on the back page of the journal redzer?

I know this calf popped out. Nice enough little fellow. Pic is poor quality I'm afraid!
    Good to hear he was easy calved, hes a nice scopey looking calf too!!
    Didnt see it yet vander, will let you know in the evening!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Two month old LMX bull

fu5rfc.jpg
    hvbck2.jpg
    111qxr4.jpg

Week old LMX bull

2yod3pz.jpg
    3093i8l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

first batch of calves out to grass full time.
    had been in a field with run back to shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Pic 0018: I put this pic up on the Sim thread but said I'd show her here too. A Sim bull calf off T-Bone out of a Limx cow. Was hoping for a heifer, maybe next year:).

Is there a touch of blue in that cow Bizzum. The calf looks to be built like a blue. Lovely looking cow and calf. I wish you all the best with them

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Is there a touch of blue in that cow Bizzum. The calf looks to be built like a blue. Lovely looking cow and calf. I wish you all the best with them

I dunno whats in the cow, I often thought BB alright. Good medium sized thick cow.

Here's a pic of her last years calf off our own CH bull, a job getting him out so we said no more CH on her!

• Advertisement

Im afraid that is the competition on the back page vander!! They seem to have a thing going that if one buys a new machine the other one has to get the same one :rolleyes: Suprising he gave such a good review of it with all the trouble it gave him....the man in headford must have slipped him a few notes.

Im afraid that is the competition on the back page vander!! They seem to have a thing going that if one buys a new machine the other one has to get the same one :rolleyes: Suprising he gave such a good review of it with all the trouble it gave him....the man in headford must have slipped him a few notes.

gas
    well ive yet to see big brand machine get bad press in the journo ;)

gas
    well ive yet to see big brand machine get bad press in the journo ;)

True vander, After wrapping 12000 bales with it I dont think I would have given it the same review. The cut and tie is better on the mchale's too I think, split table is a disaster for nicking the ends of bales when your tipping them off, the axle isint strong enough and the wheels have kicked out in it from loading heavy bales. Too many fiddly sensors and if one fails you cant move any part of the wrapper and it cant be put back into the transport position, the list goes on. I'd take the 991bjs any day before it!!

After 5 years of waiting for the shorthorn cow to have a heifer she produced :D

photo-42.jpg

2 more heifer calves

photo-43.jpg

photo-44.jpg

A proper picture of the heifer I bought off one of the neighbours for €600 last year, lim x sim, going to be a huge cow.

photo-45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

jeez redzer youd want to pick a few stones:D

• Advertisement

jeez redzer youd want to pick a few stones:D
    Ha, I bring a full box of blades with me when im mowing it....havnt had to change one yet ;):p

20120321225549.jpg
    FL22 heifer born on sunday from this nice 25mo SIM springer. She calved herself unassisted. But, but, but the heifer is not accepting the calf and I'm doing this twice a day. I hope I don't have to keep doing it for much longer! I'd much prefer to let them out....

Still not letting the calf suck unless her head is in the gate and I'm hovering around. Thanks be to J*s*s she's a quiet one! What do you reckon lads, how many more days before she'll let the calf suck?

(I'd bet on 5;))

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aghead

Thoughts on INRA '95? 3 week old heifer calf, first calver,along with a KIB and two TUZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b-urEpqies4

Thoughts on INRA '95? 3 week old heifer calf, first calver,along with a KIB and two TUZ

Thoughts on INRA '95? 3 week old heifer calf, first calver,along with a KIB and two TUZ calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Still not letting the calf suck unless her head is in the gate and I'm hovering around. Thanks be to J*s*s she's a quiet one! What do you reckon lads, how many more days before she'll let the calf suck?

(I'd bet on 5;))

Old way of thinking but if you give her half a bucket of crunch and then have time to let her smell it in your hand and put it on the calf so she licks him? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

aghead wrote: »

Fine calf that inra that took off into the cow. Whats type of cow is the dam. The two leggier reds are Salers? TUZ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

(I'd bet on 5;))
    had a cow had twins on tuesday, one miute she was loving them the next beating the crap out of them:mad: so seperated them for the night... next day we let them out in the yard, stayed with her for a good while, then seperated them again, let her stay with them for longer and longer and today she is loving them... hope to let them out to field today

Bodacious wrote: »
    Fine calf that inra that took off into the cow. Whats type of cow is the dam. The two leggier reds are Salers? TUZ?

Ya slightly disappointed with those two TUZ's my first time experimenting with said bull but calves are still quite young, the 4 dams are all fairly similar salers heifers/2nd calver dams, we just needed an outcross to our own imported salers breeding lines.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104615288857731262209/AshburySalers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement