Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

it was a bit dusty reseeding at the end of last week,
    the drop of rain badly needed, hope it knows when to stop now

198717.JPG
    198718.jpg

sorry about the oversived pic, may figure out how to reduce them.:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

dar31 wrote: »
    sorry about the oversived pic, may figure out how to reduce them.:o:o
    the massey hasnt seen water in a while as well inside or out:D.

3rd time lucky
    198712.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

3rd time lucky
    198712.jpg

fine calves Dar, how old are they?

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    fine calves Dar, how old are they?

they are all in around 8-9 weeks old, some of them will be weaned next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

another bzb running around the field this morn:) off a pied cow

dscn0376k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dscn0375n.jpg

johnpawl wrote: »

dscn0376k.jpg

dscn0375n.jpg

how long have you the cows out ,the calves look big ,are they on straw at all or are you not worried,they look big and hes ment to be easy calving,i have some cows in calf to him for the end of the year and you have me thinking:o.great cows and sucks by the way.

leg wax wrote: »
    how long have you the cows out ,the calves look big ,are they on straw at all or are you not worried,they look big and hes ment to be easy calving,i have some cows in calf to him for the end of the year and you have me thinking:o.great cows and sucks by the way.

I didn't restrict the cows eating atall, it was silage all the way. I had a ch bull on those cows last year and this year the calves are half the size this year and twice as hardy. It was hard to catch that calf this morn to iodine the navel, extremely lively. Her calf last year was very soft, had to put cow into crush to feed calf. They look bigger in the pics than they are, they are handy sized calves. Both running around the field now so must say am happy with bzb so far.. Cows out about two weeks. Be interesting to see how they thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

dscn0376k.jpg

dscn0375n.jpg

Hi JP,

Fine team there.. What breeding is the cow apart from AA.. She has a great bag of milk, she should make a great job of that fella by oct!

• Advertisement

She's off a piedmontese AI bull, so there should be muscle in the background. I bought her as a calf off a neighbouring dairy farmer so I think she's PI from FR cow, might be AA in there too. Plenty milk alright, be interesting to see a part/pied cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

No more than myself, you've a bit of wire to raise!!

MfMan wrote: »
    No more than myself, you've a bit of wire to raise!!

mañana mañana :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Replaced some old fence yesterday. I need to build two block pillars on the top of that hill and stick a gate between them, there's no depth for the stakes and it's where I open the fence to let the lambed ewes down into grass. One ewe was "stalking" me while I was pulling out the old fence, just waiting for me to leave the hole in the fence so she could run through :D

20120402_180419.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

dscn0376k.jpg

dscn0375n.jpg

Great bag of milk there jp, Should be a flaking calf come next October!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

What the hell are these red things?

They look like wasps nests, but red. I was afraid to touch them due to their waspnest appearances (dont trust them feckers at all)

redballthings.jpg

An expensive barrel
    reseed1.jpg

For here, this is the clean end of the paddock.
    reseed2.jpg

It's gotten lashings of roundup and it'll probably be getting a good dose of a post emergent spray too in a few weeks time.

are they old puff balls or as other people call them down here horses farts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

johngalway wrote: »
    Replaced some old fence yesterday.

Is that a boundary or internal fence John? It must be a bi**h trying to stretch sheep wire with all the humps and hollows :mad: I see from looking on youtube, that the Kiwi's prefer to use 9 strands of plain wire for this reason, with battens between the stakes to keep the wire spacings.

Great bag of milk there jp, Should be a flaking calf come next October!!

Hopefully now, be interesting to see how they do..

Muckit wrote: »
    Is that a boundary or internal fence John? It must be a bi**h trying to stretch sheep wire with all the humps and hollows :mad: I see from looking on youtube, that the Kiwi's prefer to use 9 strands of plain wire for this reason, with battens between the stakes to keep the wire spacings.

That's an internal fence. The bare part is the rougher side of the farm where I feed the sheep prior to them lambing. Then I move them through that fence as they lamb so I can make the most of my grass (or at least I hope I'm making the most of it!

It can be a trial to stretch it alright. There isn't much depth in a lot of those places so it's also very hard to find a good solid post to attach the chain and ratchet to. All the same I seem to be able to keep the sheep where I want them :D

I've got plans to erect more internal fences to manage the grazing, control weeds with spraying, and generally improve the place. So I'll have to get my thinking hat on for easier ways to go about it.

Doing that job yesterday I realised I hardly ever bother with proper strainers. Instead chancing my arm there'll be two strong stakes together or a stake jammed between two large rocks in a wall. Sometimes that works in my favour, and sometimes, like yesterday, it doesn't :D I suppose it's from struggling to find depth for a 6 foot stake, then thinking about an 8 foot strainer, lol.

If I was to try single strand I'd nearly go electric. I believe the ESB do fairly cheap connections if it's just for fencer use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭farmerjohn

Taught this was a nice pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

She's off a piedmontese AI bull, so there should be muscle in the background. I bought her as a calf off a neighbouring dairy farmer so I think she's PI from FR cow, might be AA in there too. Plenty milk alright, be interesting to see a part/pied cross.

Super outfit there, and the cow in great condition. That'll be a super calf once he gets to grips with that bag of milk!
    A good milky cow like that is one I'd be looking at to breed a replacement. Any plans to do that with her?

are they old puff balls or as other people call them down here horses farts :confused:

Bulls farts we used to call them! They look like puffballs alright, small ones too.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Super outfit there, and the cow in great condition. That'll be a super calf once he gets to grips with that bag of milk!
    A good milky cow like that is one I'd be looking at to breed a replacement. Any plans to do that with her?

I put the part on her hoping for a heifer to keep, but a healthy calf is good enough! This is a ch heifer she had last year that I'm holding onto.

dscn0361w.jpg

Bizzum wrote: »
    Bulls farts we used to call them! They look like puffballs alright, small ones too.

But what causes them? I innocently googled 'bull farts' and found this.....

Bull.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

very cool, so puffballs are fungi right?

no harm leaving them be so.

Another bit done today, need to finish off the other side of that drain up to the wall then done with that. Sheep were looking particularly unimpressed with me today, I figure they were hoping the old fence would fall down and they could be away, they weren't wrong it was on it's last legs!

(And no I wasn't doing that burning).

20120404_153434.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Nice lush green colour on the near side of the fence there John - Looks good

JohnBoy wrote: »
    very cool, so puffballs are fungi right?

no harm leaving them be so.

If they are Puffballs they are indeed fungi. Indeed I think you can eat them if the mood takes you. (Check it out before you do in case I'm wrong though;))

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Nice lush green colour on the near side of the fence there John - Looks good

Yeah, it's been a nice colour for a while now but there is some decent spots of grass in it. Problem is lambs will start any day now and with this cold nothing is growing, won't take a score of ewes long to do a bit of mowing. But, we're all in that same boat :D I had better grass last year, but I did put out my fert earlier than I did this year. Idea was that the grass would be growing with the sheep rather than having too much too soon, have to wait and see how that pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr363.jpg
    By vanderbadger at 2012-04-05
    pic does no justice, one of he biggest bulls i ever saw, down at ennis yesterday, didnt see how he got on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr364size880.jpg

nothing special about this fella
    he has had a tough run though, had the worse scour ive seen,for over a week i just couldnt dry him up , last tues morning he was so bad he kinda flopped down, he has had so much life aids, bimistat, gel lyte, bactidyrl that he actually seems to swell up a bit, i thought he would never make it but bicarbonate drip and effydral tablets seem to have helped, this morning after lifting him up he sucked the cow, first time he has done that by himself since early in the week..still weak and not out of the woods but hopefully he makes it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

nothing special about this fella
    he has had a tough run though, had the worse scour ive seen,for over a week i just couldnt dry him up , last tues morning he was so bad he kinda flopped down, he has had so much life aids, bimistat, gel lyte, bactidyrl that he actually seems to swell up a bit, i thought he would never make it but bicarbonate drip and effydral tablets seem to have helped, this morning after lifting him up he sucked the cow, first time he has done that by himself since early in the week..still weak and not out of the woods but hopefully he makes it now

I hope you're lucky with him van. Sounds like he's turned the corner and he's displaying the desire to live so hopefully that will see him through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

fr363.jpg
    pic does no justice, one of he biggest bulls i ever saw, down at ennis yesterday, didnt see how he got on though

Looks like yerman on the walkway is doing the riverdance.......or maybe I'm just not awake yet:D

Hope the calf keeps going forward for you, the bond with the mother will help him if he can keep sucking her.

A couple I took last year when me and my Dad went fishing. Great Leitrim land:o

donkeys.jpg

16369717388185995351510.jpg

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the link for sending in photos to the journal for the calander.

jersey cross born last night.

199317.jpg
    199322.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bull or heifer?

whelan1 wrote: »
    bull or heifer?
    heifer, thank good
    7 jersey calves and only 1 bull

where do you start.
    redzer would love it....
    199323.jpg
    199324.jpg

• Advertisement

Start inside the gate and keep going on from there until it's done :D

Cut wait for regrowth, spray (I spray, but that looks like licker ground), repeat, drain, get a soil test done. You'll have it back in shape in no time.

jersey cross born last night.

199317.jpg
    199322.jpg
    What does the red tape mean? Just calved? So no milk into the container? My father used to milk but this would have been early 90's so excuse my stupity

every thing that gets antibiotics get red tape on ankles and tail, so there is no confusion,
    the one in the picture is a dry cow still so calve,the tape wont come off her till she calves and is tested clear of antibiotics
    the heifer that owns the calf has no tape on because she got no dry cow

every thing that gets antibiotics get red tape on ankles and tail, so there is no confusion,
    the one in the picture is a dry cow still so calve,the tape wont come off her till she calves and is tested clear of antibiotics

Thanks, I had an inkling it was something like that. Suckler farming has a lot easier management at times.......until you get a finisher at the mart looking for the last medical records of a cow:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

co meath traffic jam

001zin.jpg

stanflt wrote: »
    co meath traffic jam

001zin.jpg

My ovaries just exploded:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

stanflt wrote: »
    co meath traffic jam

001zin.jpg

By jeez she's some producer - there's 17 of them!

just do it wrote: »
    By jeez she's some producer - there's 17 of them!
    QUICK!, Get the sire No!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

some hungry girls this morning Photo0021.jpg

I got an interesting 'Easter Egg' this morning from the OH.

Not a Charolais, but I appreciated the gesture :)

p4080008p.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement