Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    I got an interesting 'Easter Egg' this morning from the OH.

Not a Charolais, but I appreciated the gesture :)

p4080008p.jpg
    Should have tipp-exed out the black bits!:p

I was eating one of these in work on Tuesday, gave more of it away than I got myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Vasectomised bull in action. Cow is 44 days calved and she got DZP yesterday. He's a charolais gene ireland bull.
    20120408171303.jpg

20120408171446.jpg

20120408172051.jpg

The tide has turned:D. Heifer is a first calver. She's only 23 months according to the card but I've my suspicions she's older;).

img00341201204081514.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img00343201204081617.jpg

img00346201204081618.jpg

img00347201204081619.jpg

img00352201204081626.jpg

First pic- Calf with pneumonia that kicked the hell out of me while injecting and giving him scour powders today ( potieen incl)
    Second- Sectioned Ped Lim out with her bull.
    Third- My pick of the calves for showing this year, off WTB.
    Fourth- Same calf as above next to dam. Another WTB calf in the background.
    Fifth- Calves in a range of ages. Furthest calf is the PB LM, middle is our first blonde and the front is a PIO CH off a good milky dam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Has your sectioned cow come back bulling karen ???

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Has your sectioned cow come back bulling karen ???

Not yet unfortunately. Had to let out a litre of pus from the CH cross there the last week. All healthy though. Thank feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Keep them wagons rollin...

20120408_160313.jpg

Went to check the ewes just before dark (sorry for the photo quality), three ewes lambed, three ewe lambs :D this being the best of them. 6 ewe lambs now and three ram lambs, just waiting for the morning to turn that upside down. Sheep are all milky and on the ball.

20120408_204436.jpg

Was up the farther land today looking at the cattle. This heifer has turned out to be a smasher, 20 months and off BYQ and a CF42 dam. EDIT- The mother was 11 when she had her, my father wouldn't let the cow til she had a heifer. And just seen the cow behind her has no tags.....whoops...... :O

img00353201204091037.jpg

img00357201204091039.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

johngalway wrote: »

20120408_160313.jpg

Are they the shores in the pic you keep open by hand John? :eek:

• Advertisement

Haha, no, that's not our land, I just stopped there to open a gate. They were dug by machine. I'll take a photo of my handiwork tomorrow :D

Karen112 wrote: »
    Was up the farther land today looking at the cattle. This heifer has turned out to be a smasher, 20 months and off BYQ and a CF42 dam. EDIT- The mother was 11 when she had her, my father wouldn't let the cow til she had a heifer. And just seen the cow behind her has no tags.....whoops...... :O

And herself only has the one :D .... Yea them sections are a hit and miss , sometimes its hard to get them back cycling after it .

Muckit, got an opportunity to take a couple of snaps this evening before checking the yet to lamb ewes.

A couple of typical drains (as they're called here, ye foreigners call them shores :p ).

20120409_201009.jpg

20120409_201034.jpg

Quite a long piece ran along this wall, which over the years decades had fallen into the drain and been grown over, much to my amusement as I used pick, bar, spade and drag to remove everything.

20120409_201149.jpg

An aerial view of some drains :D

Eventually :rolleyes: when I buy a trailer for the borrowed quad :o I'll start shifting that drain spoil up the farm to the rough part, I've a notion to go planting hedges in it, might go with mostly holly trees or something - likely and adventure doomed to failure but......

I've a lot of walls to get back into shape but that job is well down the list. I'll dig another drain where that brown patch runs from the wall down into the drain on the left hand side. Three years ago much of the area pictured was thick with rushes :eek: Slow and steady wins the race.

20120409_201243.jpg

As you can see my grass is doing OK on the hill I took the above photo from, which is one of the most exposed parts of my farm. But, there's good and bad with both moss and scutch grass in the photo as well (they're on the list too - yes, it is a long list :D ).

20120409_201231.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Fair play to ya John. When we see pictures of land from the west we only realise how lucky we are on the eastern seaboard here and what commitment to farming really is.

Fair play to ya John. When we see pictures of land from the west we only realise how lucky we are on the eastern seaboard here and what commitment to farming really is.

Thanks JH :) I've seen plenty of fields in different parts I'd have loved to roll up and bring home with me :D A neighbour across the way from me commented that I was putting the rest of them to shame with what I'd done with the place. As I told him, "Wasn't for ye I was doing it" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Thanks JH :) I've seen plenty of fields in different parts I'd have loved to roll up and bring home with me :D A neighbour across the way from me commented that I was putting the rest of them to shame with what I'd done with the place. As I told him, "Wasn't for ye I was doing it" :D

Jeez John That is incredible commitment, fair play to you. It looks fantastic. How long does it take you to dig each of those drains.

• Advertisement

A couple of typical drains (as they're called here, ye foreigners call them shores ).

[IMG][/img]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/sheep_whisperer/20120409_201009.jpg

Gr8 work john. Is there a ewe at the end of that crook?:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

BB Heifer calf, born September 2011.

Sire STQ
    Dam Saler

308kgs 06/04/12

05042012398.jpg

sea12 wrote: »
    Jeez John That is incredible commitment, fair play to you. It looks fantastic. How long does it take you to dig each of those drains.

I don't know how long it takes. When I go at it I try to do a minimum of 10 yards a day. That doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but it's not a job I want to be stuck at all day, I'd get fed up in jig time. But, done consistently, I can get a lot done. If you think of an 8 square Cadburys chocolate bar, that's how I cut the drain, if the scraws are any bigger they're too much work to haul out considering they're full of water. I'll then pull out that length of drain and start again going another spit down. If there isn't much depth then I go as far as the rock/hard pan. Some sections are easier or harder than others to do depending if rushes have grown there or a little twiggy plant I must identify which is a right hoor to get out.

Next part of the job now is to gather some big pipe and make a few little bridges where the ewes and lambs cross over.

A digger of course would do all of this an awful lot faster. But, I can use that money for other things, grazon 90, mortone, feed, fert, vet stuff etc. The worrying bit is I enjoy it all :D

One thing I really need for the job is a decent radio !
    just do it wrote: »
    Gr8 work john. Is there a ewe at the end of that crook?:-)

I hope not :pac: They better appreciate it too the feckers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

New Born.jpg stq bull out of pb lim

That's unreal work there JohnGalway. But I suppose when you see the water running away like that and the grass growing well, it makes it all worth while.

Pics are great. When you were talking in other posts about digging drains by hand it would be easy for a lad to think you were mad! :D But your work speaks for itself. Keep it up.

Oh nice fencing too btw in the background. U should stick 'golden pliers' into youtube and you'I see the Kiwi's in competition fencing a hill, by hand! (posts and all are sunk by hand!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

leg wax wrote: »

He half reared Legwax!! Well developed in hindquarters already ... Any bother landing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Those are great pics john.

hard work, but you really have some great looking results to show for it.

I think in tractor terms what you need to try and get your hands on is one of those alpine articulated yokes.

or since you're handy with your hands....

http://www.cadplans.com/cadtrac.htm

that should be small enough to go round most obstacles, but low enough to crawl over the others :)

Bodacious wrote: »
    He half reared Legwax!! Well developed in hindquarters already ... Any bother landing him?
    no she put him out herself with me in the ditch watching,hes the biggest calf this year and he will grow on .

The worrying bit is I enjoy it all :D

I appreciate what you're saying john. Gr8 satisfaction out of a bit if decent hard labour. And great satisfaction each time you see you look upon it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Stick an iPhone/iPod/MP3 player into one of these and clip it onto your belt:
    http://www.i-luv.com/product_detail.asp?idx=1593&category_cd=t119&cat_lev=1

Sturdy, unobtrusive, showerproof (so far!), and plenty loud enough.
    I use mine a good bit when I'm pruning trees or brashing inspection paths; great job.

I got it in Argos.

Lm x fr 2nd calver just calved. She's the poorer of 2 ladies I bought 5 weeks ago. Both carried embryos and had sections last year. They came from a dairy man who also breeds quality pedigree limousins. Handy three quarter bred LM heifer calf but she took a pull as cow's bearing was tight. Patience and the head rope did the trick. I'd hoped she'd have calved earlier than this but I'm definitely not complaining!
    20120411012729.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭limo_100

Heres a panda bull calf from a angus cow born yesterday
    scaled.php?server=210&filename=img00027201204101449.jpg&res=landing

And heres a Panda heifer calf a few weeks old i have to say very impressed with the quality of his offspring
    scaled.php?server=404&filename=img00025201204071954.jpg&res=landing
    And this is a Siam heifer calf from a blue cow very good quality aswell calved sunday
    scaled.php?server=684&filename=img00026201204101448.jpg&res=landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

limo_100 wrote: »
    ...........And this is a Siam heifer calf from a blue cow very good quality aswell calved sunday
    scaled.php?server=684&filename=img00026201204101448.jpg&res=landing

Keep an eye on this one. She might make a good replacement !!! ;)

Hes a smasher . Well developed all ready . Be a powerful weaner by early october ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

my oldest cow calved again this morning bull again only one heifer from her after 9 years good thick legs nkg breeding.

058BBB87-orig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Yearling heifer nearly as big as my AAx cow
    dscn0395x.jpg

Couple of 9 day old calves, starting to show a bit of shape.

dscn0403n.jpg

dscn0405v.jpg

what are the yearling heifers by?? there great looking heifers for the bull

what are the yearling heifers by?? there great looking heifers for the bull

They are pedigree PT. She is the plainer heifer of the two. They are really thriving since I left them out on grass. Never had PT here before, took the plunge last year and they are serious cattle. Born in late march last year, so won,t be seeing the bull for a bit yet.

johnpawl wrote: »
    They are pedigree PT. She is the plainer heifer of the two. They are really thriving since I left them out on grass. Never had PT here before, took the plunge last year and they are serious cattle.

i can see that great size aswell. im thinking of using a few straws this year for cross breeding hopefully get a few heifers

i can see that great size aswell. im thinking of using a few straws this year for cross breeding hopefully get a few heifers

I tried that this year and I'm getting all bulls, the usual...

I tried that this year and I'm getting all bulls, the usual...

would you need tall cows for them?

I put PT on all different sizes, haven't a clue how the calves'll work out...

I put PT on all different sizes, haven't a clue how the calves'll work out...

and what is the quality like of your cross breed calves so far? what bull where you using?

and what is the quality like of your cross breed calves so far? what bull where you using?

Hard to know yet, they still young. That's two of 'em pictured. Off AAx

• Advertisement

They are pedigree PT. She is the plainer heifer of the two. They are really thriving since I left them out on grass. Never had PT here before, took the plunge last year and they are serious cattle. Born in late march last year, so won,t be seeing the bull for a bit yet.
    dont wait with those heifers is my advice as they will only end up huge ,if you are worried that they will stop growing after the bull dont be,i should have bulled my heifers so that they calved down at 24 months,the part is one breed that from my limited experience will keep growing, and all the talking with breeders they have the same view.

dont wait with those heifers is my advice as they will only end up huge ,if you are worried that they will stop growing after the bull dont be,i should have bulled my heifers so that they calved down at 24 months,the part is one breed that from my limited experience will keep growing, and all the talking with breeders they have the same view.

That's my worry alright. If I'm trying to sell a pb bull calf, I want the mother to be a decent looking cow.. My plan was to calve them down at 30 months.
    What age did you bull your heifers at and how did they turn out?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Keep an eye on this one. She might make a good replacement !!! ;)

thats the plan anyway pak. didnt you used to use him?? did you keep any of his heifers??

made this for nephew for xmas just trying out pic uploads please advise if too big ....havn t figured out how to crop yet

32FFD5AD-orig.jpg499E6DBE-orig.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

jerdee wrote: »
    made this for nephew for xmas just trying out pic uploads please advise if too big ....havn t figured out how to crop yet

32FFD5AD-orig.jpg499E6DBE-orig.jpg

jeez that cool, might be a nice little business there for you making models

jeez that cool, might be a nice little business there for you making models

not with the amount of time that it took i left him a couple of small pots of paint to finish it off himself and some single core black cable to run water to the troughs.....he was well impressed as he said that he could never have enough of sheds hes eleven ...

• Advertisement

not with the amount of time that it took i left him a couple of small pots of paint to finish it off himself and some single core black cable to run water to the troughs.....he was well impressed as he said that he could never have enough of sheds hes eleven ...

That must've taken a bit of time in fairness. You'll have to get a few days work out of him in the future:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

Never realised you were so handy ! :D

Did we ever have horses in this tread??...............

A few pics of the neighbours horses letting off steam

p4120023.jpg

p4120025r.jpg

Does your neighbour do expensive horseback tours by any chance Muckit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

fr363.jpg
    By vanderbadger at 2012-04-05
    pic does no justice, one of he biggest bulls i ever saw, down at ennis yesterday, didnt see how he got on though

Thats my uncles bull I'd swear vander!! I took this pic of him 2 weeks ago. 1150 kgs, €2200

photo-59.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement