Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Christ Muckit thats a smashing heifer. What age/weight/breeding? Is she for beef or Incalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    nice grass-was in galway for a communion on sunday and didnt see much ground like that- what part are you in
    nice animal

East Galway, outside Ballinasloe. Don't be fooled by that photo Stanfit, you would laugh if you saw the weeds in it :o.....very old lay, needs reseed badly. Will have to do for now...

Bizzum wrote: »
    Christ Muckit thats a smashing heifer. What age/weight/breeding? Is she for beef or Incalf?

She is for beef and around the 24mths. I wouldn't chance breeding her. She's not long out of the shed and no meal, but give her a few more weeks at grass and she will be mud fat.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know her breeding off hand, twas oul lad that got her mother AI'd :o I posted a pic of her mother and last year's calf on this thread last year.... think around page 16.. :rolleyes:

p9070449.jpg

page 21 actually... not a cow you'd write home about, but just look at that calf and the heifer in above post.... just goes to show, don't judge a book by the cover :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

stanflt wrote: »
    r u milking many at the moment?
    still have 6 to calf-all sprung up to calve in next week to 10days-left the bull out a little longer

170 going through at the moment, will sell 10 or so in the next forthnight, and have 10-15 to cull, but will milk them on for another 2 or so months.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    She is for beef and around the 24mths. I wouldn't chance breeding her. She's not long out of the shed and no meal, but give her a few more weeks at grass and she will be mud fat.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know her breeding off hand, twas oul lad that got her mother AI'd :o I posted a pic of her mother and last year's calf on this thread last year.... think around page 16.. :rolleyes:

Go quick and ask the old man! She's a good advertisement for her sire:)

Lovely feminine head on her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Great heifer alright. Just shows that the stumpy cow can sometimes be as good as any.

A BIG thank you to everyone that liked and 'thanked' my recent picture post. I'm glad you liked it. ;)

11thanks, I'm chuffed:) Makes it worth the effort to carry the camera when I go herding.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

A BIG thank you to everyone that liked and 'thanked' my recent picture post. I'm glad you liked it. ;)

11thanks, I'm chuffed:) Makes it worth the effort to carry the camera when I go herding.
    Theres 13 for ya now;) Any word on d daddy yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

not a cow you'd write home about, but just look at that calf and the heifer in above post.... just goes to show, don't judge a book by the cover :rolleyes:

I don't think it helps to have the cows too muscular. Use a terminal sire to achieve that. That's my personal opinion anyway! No doubt it's a smashing heifer but I think you're right to slaughther her. It will be interesting to see how she grades;)
    Go quick and ask the old man! She's a good advertisement for her sire:)
    Yes, we're all waiting!!
    11thanks, I'm chuffed:)
    Now you've 15:D

• Advertisement

Theres 13 for ya now;) Any word on d daddy yet??

Get the finger out Muckit or I'll remove my thanks and lobby everyone else to do the same:D.

Soooooooooooooo....................Who's the daddy???????????????:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Fine animal to be fair. It must be tempting to chance an easy calving bull on her....

Get the finger out Muckit or I'll remove my thanks and lobby everyone else to do the same:D.

Soooooooooooooo....................Who's the daddy???????????????:p

Oul lad no head for codes :rolleyes: I'I have a root through paperwork this evening bizzum! Totally forgot about it yesterday evening ;) Keep those thanks there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

nice heifer calf from nkg stockbull

15AB4CE2-orig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

Muckit, thats a great animal .. . what you feed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Just a pic of our cow that calfed this morning.
    CVV Limousin bull calf - was hoping for a heifer but not complaining! Great calf.

a couple of LRY bull calves roughly 10 weeks old. two last photos are both ERE calves 1st one is a heifer 2nd a bull. I think they're as good lims as we ever had.

a couple of LRY bull calves roughly 10 weeks old. two last photos are both ERE calves 1st one is a heifer 2nd a bull. I think they're as good lims as we ever had.

Lovely calves there.
    Just wondering if the ERE calves were hard calved?
    A few lads on here had a lot of trouble calving him. Calving diff up at 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Last lad is a smasher!

Heifer calf was born naturally bull calf took a very small pull...would have calved her self.Have 2 more incalf due around august so hopefully they come the same.I like the CVV calf any bother calving the blue cow. we had bad experiences with blue cows found them tight

• Advertisement

Heifer calf was born naturally bull calf took a very small pull...would have calved her self.Have 2 more incalf due around august so hopefully they come the same.I like the CVV calf any bother calving the blue cow. we had bad experiences with blue cows found them tight
    Know what you mean about blue cows being tight - we had a BB heifer calf last week, MPD AA bull calf, big calf in fairness but she was very tight, even for a heifer.
    This cow is OK though - her mother was a big loose cow. We called the Vet but just as a precaution as we were afraid of a big calf. He used the jack but said she was loose enough. Calved OK.
    We have a few great BB heifers that we are not going to bull though as they look tight at the hips and are too muscly. C - Section written all over them down the line if they get a decent bull.

@ Seaba, Super outfit, Calf up looking for a feed and the cow cleaned. That's the way to do it.:)

@ Tismesoitis, For me the ERE heifer calf is a smasher. Have they got much ration?

SoJoMo wrote: »
    Muckit, thats a great animal .. . what you feed him?

What ever he was fed must have been high in oestrogen and progesterone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Seaba wrote: »
    Know what you mean about blue cows being tight - we had a BB heifer calf last week, MPD AA bull calf, big calf in fairness but she was very tight, even for a heifer.
    This cow is OK though - her mother was a big loose cow. We called the Vet but just as a precaution as we were afraid of a big calf. He used the jack but said she was loose enough. Calved OK.
    We have a few great BB heifers that we are not going to bull though as they look tight at the hips and are too muscly. C - Section written all over them down the line if they get a decent bull.

so, where do ye draw the line at too muscely to breed?

@ Seaba, Super outfit, Calf up looking for a feed and the cow cleaned. That's the way to do it.:)

@ Tismesoitis, For me the ERE heifer calf is a smasher. Have they got much ration?

Up feedin d baby:D
    calf prob not eating anything yet. 29 calves in the shed getting 10 kgs a day in a creep feeder shes among the younger ones (7 weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It cleaned up well :) Must put a dart of fertiliser out on it now!!

photo-57.jpg

photo-104.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

It cleaned up well :) Must put a dart of fertiliser out on it now!!

photo-57.jpg

photo-104.jpg

some difference, made a great job of the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

]It cleaned up well :) Must put a dart of fertiliser out on it now!!

Thats a powerful transformation Redzer !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I getting the hang of photobucket now:

Heifer calf lastnight flying about the place today in the wind

F52622F4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

finally got ground ploughed for maize, hope we get 2 dry days this week to get it in
    204785.jpg204786.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement