Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

How did the teaser bull work out for you? I'm on my second one now. I find them a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

just do it wrote: »
    20121108135151.jpg Creep with some autumn calves

Have you them calves resricted to twice a day suckling to get cows in heat faster? If so you did how did you find the cows when commencing this. Were they very agitated. Can the cows see the calves where they are.

You have a lovely looking Simmental in ones of your pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barron lad

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/bull190s.jpg/

first attempt at uploading a pic, this is our part bull which we bought for heifers.
    we no longer have this bull because he wasnt suitable for heifers but sold him on to a farm in meath that were going to use him on cows. sort of regretting it now he left some great calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

solid looking bull! whats his breeding?

he was is by royal we bought him off the daly's in tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »
    2C33493D.jpg

Hi JP,

I have only one part calf so hardly enough to compare but she was a lovely younger calf, as in photo, from a lim x 2nd calver and sirex.. she is now a bellied, butty little b**ch with light bone and am shocked at how poor she is.. ill get a photo tomorrow if i can a "before " and "after" as such

Part no use for milk also im told and her dam no superstar for milk either so she will get road and prob her dam with her

Here is a pic as promised of her now

11E5D032.jpg

DEE0848D.jpg

Weaned her and will leave her on there for a bit as ive a bit of grass and keepin on other heifers for the Winter so she no hassle, wasnt going to take E600 for her anyway:) She might shock me and come good yet!

11E5D032.jpg

DEE0848D.jpg

Weaned her and will leave her on there for a bit as ive a bit of grass and keepin on other heifers for the Winter so she no hassle, wasnt going to take E600 for her anyway:) She might shock me and come good yet!

That's a fantastic looking Charolais heifer calf in that picture. Is she out of Alex (CF61) looks very like one I have out of him

That's a fantastic looking Charolais heifer calf in that picture. Is she out of Alex (CF61) looks very like one I have out of him

Hi goodman,

Would you believe that calf is May 20th! I going to hold her but no she is not out of Alex, i bought the cow and she was already bulled to a stock bull, i held the cow over for bulling in February with the heifers and i going to either give her Kilmoney Bruce or a good charolais, my best calf was a yellow bull by alex out of Black Lim 2nd calver and i sold him to my neighbour .. will take a photo of him at grass next April,

Hi goodman,

Would you believe that calf is May 20th! I going to hold her but no she is not out of Alex, i bought the cow and she was already bulled to a stock bull, i held the cow over for bulling in February with the heifers and i going to either give her Kilmoney Bruce or a good charolais, my best calf was a yellow bull by alex out of Black Lim 2nd calver and i sold him to my neighbour .. will take a photo of him at grass next April,

Fair play to you she looking great for a late calf! I know what you mean about Alex my best calves were out of him last year and this year. Unfortunately he gone now. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

11E5D032.jpg

DEE0848D.jpg

she would have made 610 if legs was there:D,

leg wax wrote: »
    she would have made 610 if legs was there:D,

Ill ship her over to Legwax and he can stick STQ on her after the first calf

Ill ship her over to Legwax and he can stick STQ on her after the first calf
    now your talking:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Barron lad wrote: »
    here is some of his calves from two years ago, the heifers in the pictures are the ones i will be putting in calf shortly.

Lovely stock Barron. What are you going to bull them to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

That heifer with the white face is a cracker, you have lovely stock!!
    towzer2010 wrote: »
    Lovely stock Barron.

They are lovely stylish heifers alright. If they have milk they'll make serious cows.

the one with the white face is out of a big limo of the same markings. i think i will bull them to an easy calving blue but im going to chance cambridge on two of the ones that came part colours and make, to see what happens. il try and take a few pictures of them as tomorrow and il post them if i get a chance. we have used blue on the limousin heifers this year and had good results, we used sultan and ilot.

You saifd you were going to use him on heifers. Royal isnt too handy calved so keep an eye on them. In saying that I see you've used blues on heifers so you must be pretty good at getting them in to shape for calving.

Royal does have a bit of milk with him on the plus side and as you can see from your own bull a nice bit of muscle and frame too!

hope he's lucky for you!

nice stock barron, whats the breeding behind the bull.sorry just saw it ,have a vulain bull myself.cbq is throwing some great calves and he looks nothing in the catalogue, its part of the breed.

• Advertisement

the bull is sired by royal and out of an octane sired cow.
    "You saifd you were going to use him on heifers. Royal isnt too handy calved so keep an eye on them."
    we bought him a couple of years ago bogman and had to sell him on as he was not suitable for heifers at all, but the man that bought him off us had no trouble with calving on cows, and even wrang back to see if we had another one for sale, he was that happy with him.

how do you find the vulain bull for calving legwax ??

the bull is sired by royal and out of an octane sired cow.
    "You saifd you were going to use him on heifers. Royal isnt too handy calved so keep an eye on them."
    we bought him a couple of years ago bogman and had to sell him on as he was not suitable for heifers at all, but the man that bought him off us had no trouble with calving on cows, and even wrang back to see if we had another one for sale, he was that happy with him.

how do you find the vulain bull for calving legwax ??
    first calves will be due in feb so will let you know then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Bizzum wrote: »
    I made an order today for a few straws off THZ. €100 for 15. We'll see how it goes. Hope they're not as "lively" as FL22 calves.

Heres a couple of pics of our 3 thz calves Bizzum.sorry for the delay!! black bull is about 10 weeks old heifer with white on forehead is about 4 weeks and small red one is 2 weeks old and just over a dose of scour.very pleased with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Heres a couple of pics of our 3 thz calves Bizzum.sorry for the delay!! black bull is about 10 weeks old heifer with white on forehead is about 4 weeks and small red one is 2 weeks old and just over a dose of scour.very pleased with them.

Thanks for the pics!
    Lovely shapey calves. Your making me glad now I ordered a few straws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Note to self, just order what tismesoitis orders!:D

Have you them calves resricted to twice a day suckling to get cows in heat faster? If so you did how did you find the cows when commencing this. Were they very agitated. Can the cows see the calves where they are.
    Just last night and tonight I've locked them in the creep area for the night. First time doing it so I'll see how it works out. Would do twice a day suckling but time doesn't allow for it. Autumn breeding starts for me on Nov 22nd.
    You have a lovely looking Simmental in ones of your pics.
    If it's the red and white out the back of the group looking up at the camera, she's by HKG. She was born on the 14th Feb 2010 and calved unassisted this Spring on 17th March, 5 days ahead of her due date (FL22 heifer calf). She's due on Feb 13th to a gene ireland CH bull DZP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

ten days grass left for this group of incalf heifers- 6days left for the cows- 20 lightest 2012 heifer calves housed today just to build lwg-

004gec.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

006emqq.jpg

stanflt wrote: »

a bit of maize being cut

008xtz.jpg

you still havent told us what the story is with this Stan

you still havent told us what the story is with this Stan

dept trials- only filling like this when they were setting up between plots-

when doing actual plots the yellow hopper on the back of the harvester was filled and emptied every 50 foot or so, so that there was no lose- took 6hours to cut an acre plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

nice going stan, the weekend saw the end to most of it for us,
    ich in and the weanling hf on to kale full time
    the only ones still grazing are the stale cows with 7-10 day ahead of them.
    the shoulders trend to thighten up very quick with us here.

the winter going well though, should be set up for the last week of jan back grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

I think the mods should ban stanflt from posting pics! It is making me sick, every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

dept trials- only filling like this when they were setting up between plots-

when doing actual plots the yellow hopper on the back of the harvester was filled and emptied every 50 foot or so, so that there was no lose- took 6hours to cut an acre plot

That sounds both interesting and a slight pain in the hole. Now don't get upset and through the rattle, but was there any of the old grass up with the new? Enjoy the sun.

That sounds both interesting and a slight pain in the hole. Now don't get upset and through the rattle, but was there any of the old grass up with the new? Enjoy the sun.

new grass coming up lovely-nearly a carpet and no sign of the old stuff yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

kboc wrote: »
    I think the mods should ban stanflt from posting pics! It is making me sick, every time.
    Ya, and Legwax's weanlings too.:D

winter retirement-very little grass left- only 6reels in action 004yj.jpg

a field beside me today-reckon there was 2million of machinery in the field:eek:003tvm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Stan do you stick the reels straight into the ground like a stake?

It looks like you have bars welded to them

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Stan do you stick the reels straight into the ground like a stake?

It looks like you have bars welded to them

yeah i weld on bars with a point on them so i can stick them into the ground anywhere. can you see my fancy gate handle on the end of them- a piece or 3/4hydrodare

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hill123

i have the same myself doing the job fine

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

winter retirement-very little grass left- only 6reels in action 004yj.jpg

a field beside me today-reckon there was 2million of machinery in the field:eek:003tvm.jpg

What are they harvesting?

kboc wrote: »
    What are they harvesting?

spuds

is that Keoghs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

winter retirement-very little grass left

My few heifers out until within 10days of Stanfit's ..... Woo hoo ! RESULT!! :D:D

Muckit wrote: »
    My few heifers out until within 10days of Stanfit's ..... Woo hoo ! RESULT!! :D:D
    now get them out as early as his:D:D and its called progress:p:p

sold some heifers in carnaross today

003jyv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

003jyv.jpg

was there many sold and what sort of€€€€ were the ordinary ones making, meant to go but was afraid i'd come home with more. :rolleyes:

td5man wrote: »
    was there many sold and what sort of€€€€ were the ordinary ones making, meant to go but was afraid i'd come home with more. :rolleyes:

everything sold avg price around 2000. cow on left an MMU made 3350 and GIO on right made 2400

Your a tease stan, waiting for someone to ask how'd you get on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

004yj.jpg

Stan

Does it not make it more awkward using the reel and lugging that big lump of Iron around?

I get why you use a bar - to hold the weight of the reel when you have nothing to latch it on to. But could you not have the bar separate and have a loop welded onto it that you can hook the reel hook onto?

Thanks Muckit

Ch X FR dam X LM sire only 9 months (July 2010), should make a nice cow dam has loads of milk and she a big square scopey heifer for her age:)

55224899.jpg

Robin Banks, you liked this heifer, i kept her on and she calving now in February to OZS at 31 months and im very happy with her she is big long and wide, i took a picture of her the last day in the Winterage and thought id post it, not great picture of her legs gathered up under her but she a nice heifer

E69479EE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tommyj1

Some heifers for sale tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Tommyj1 wrote: »
    Some heifers for sale tomorrow.

Super stock. The best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement