Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

This bruiser arrived in style early this morning, surprising us all.

littleredu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

V lucky that the mother is a good calver as he's HUGE!:o

littlered2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    V lucky that the mother is a good calver as he's HUGE!:o
    Are you sure he didn't jump in from the neighbours. He looks more like 6 wks old.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't jump in from the neighbours. He looks more like 6 wks old.

I know! Couldn't believe it when I seen him on the slats this morning. Lucky there was no problems. He's off PIO.

littlered3.jpg

There's a better pic of him. If they all arrived like him I'd be happy:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Has anyone any feedback on the calves the sim bull APZ is leaving.

His icbf figures are not great.

Had a handy heifer from a small aa cow off him this am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

have a smashing bull calf off him born in early Oct. and had a big lump of one last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I know! Couldn't believe it when I seen him on the slats this morning. Lucky there was no problems. He's off PIO.

Did the alarm cat not go off this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

adne wrote: »

A neighbour has 2 calves off him, both very handy when born but filling out nicely. One of them is very lively though whether she will quieten or not I dont know. I would have no problem using him on heifers from what I have seen.

td5man wrote: »
    Did the alarm cat not go off this morning?

The alarm cat is off making more alarm cats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

adne wrote: »

Mixed. My best calf is by him (bull calf) and I've a few heifers that are average. All born unassisted. Having said that I was looking at them this morning and they are coming on nicely. What they're like at 9-10m is all that matters!

just do it wrote: »
    Pink wart-like growth on the eyeball. Only spotted it today.
    20121125015124.jpg

Here's a close up
    20121125015206.jpg

The photos above were posted on 25th of Nov. And here she is today! It never got any bigger and it obviously fell off at some stage in the last few weeks.

20130329183514.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

littlered3.jpg

There's a better pic of him. If they all arrived like him I'd be happy:pac:

If they all arrived that size, you'll end up with with your cows in bits!
    Great calf. Right type of a cow too, being able to calve him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

20130329183514.jpg[/URL]

God she has lovely eyes..... I can see how lads fall in love with suckler cows...Justin Mc just never got it! :D

Bizzum wrote: »
    If they all arrived that size, you'll end up with with your cows in bits!
    Great calf. Right type of a cow too, being able to calve him!

I mean arriving alive and no problems calving.:pac: I'd be kicking myself if I'd missed her and something went wrong. The dam is great, her mother was half br fr bred and v small handy cow with a nice elder and good temperament.
    Sure we'll see how he goes! Have a heifer kept off the cow last year too and she's the spit of this fella in colouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Had noticed that. Think they bought a curaheen bull. I randomly came across their website a while back n have just kept an eye on it since.keep meaning to go up to that sale every year but something always comes up. They had a lovely charlaois bull alibaba that dovea bought I think but from what I hear he was very hard calved

These boys are hunting the marts of the north for Saler cows in the recent 12 months. Paying top dollar for them.

They came to our local mart one night and bought every single Saler female there.

• Advertisement

I mean arriving alive and no problems calving.:pac: I'd be kicking myself if I'd missed her and something went wrong. The dam is great, her mother was half br fr bred and v small handy cow with a nice elder and good temperament.
    Sure we'll see how he goes! Have a heifer kept off the cow last year too and she's the spit of this fella in colouring.

The right sort of a cow to be keeping a heifer off. Handy, milk, good calver.
    What's the heifer from last year out of her off?

kboc wrote: »
    These boys are hunting the marts of the north for Saler cows in the recent 12 months. Paying top dollar for them....
    Maybe they want them for embryo transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Maybe they want them for embryo transfer.
    What is the attraction be towards a saler cow for embryo transfer ? I would have thought that their reputation after calving would go against them

moy83 wrote: »
    What is the attraction be towards a saler cow for embryo transfer ? I would have thought that their reputation after calving would go against them

Easy calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Do many of the embryo transfers end up in sections ? I know a couple of lads that do this to get blues but I think they nearly always section them out just in case . Maybe this is just with blues though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 aghead

moy83 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRLlExX3so

Calved unassisted out of a salers dam, docile and with plenty of milk, who wouldn't be attracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

The photos above were posted on 25th of Nov. And here she is today! It never got any bigger and it obviously fell off at some stage in the:................so it was a skin tag very good just aswell u didn't write her off too quick!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

aghead wrote: »

Calved unassisted out of a salers dam, docile and with plenty of milk, who wouldn't be attracted.

sweet one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

I had to laugh/cry when "Just do it" put up a pic of his last cow to calf a few weeks back when our 1st was only just calving (when Dad gives me the reins proper that will all change), until then........here is a pic of our 1st calf:

3 week old AZL BB bull off a shorthorn cow. Smashin calf if I do say so! She normally brings a good calf but this is her best shape-wise. Will give her a shorthorn this year (should have done it earlier) in the hope of getting a heifer.

Got another very good AZL BB in the shed but the mother is mental - tried to do myself and Dad a few times when she was sick for calving and after. Getting rid this year. Will try and get a pic when she turns her back along with a nice Limousin PAM heifer calf, just calved (mother alot quieter thank God)

Seaba wrote: »
    I had to laugh/cry when "Just do it" put up a pic of his last cow to calf a few weeks back when our 1st was only just calving (when Dad gives me the reins proper that will all change), until then........here is a pic of our 1st calf:u

3 week old AZL BB bull off a shorthorn cow. Smashin calf if I do say so! She normally brings a good calf but this is her best shape-wise. Will give her a shorthorn this year (should have done it earlier) in the hope of getting a heifer.

Got another very good AZL BB in the shed but the mother is mental - tried to do myself and Dad a few times when she was sick for calving and after. Getting rid this year. Will try and get a pic when she turns her back along with a nice Limousin PAM heifer calf, just calved (mother alot quieter thank God)

Super outfit. I'd bull her to a Lim or a BA. There's enough SH in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Super looking calf Seaba, didn't think a shorthorn cow like that would throw such a well shaped blue,especially from AZL as he wouldn't be the heaviest muscled blue bull available,if goin for a heifer i would go with a lim or char,a lim bull like ADX would bring shape and decent maternal traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

aghead wrote: »

Is this your heifer what age is she in the video

Bizzum wrote: »
    The right sort of a cow to be keeping a heifer off. Handy, milk, good calver.
    What's the heifer from last year out of her off?

Same bull. PIO. Had a grand time last harvest trying to find PTQ in any book. Our AI man has a sig like a doctors!

Edit- I'll get a pic of her up later to show the similarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Lookin for replacements off this one but another pt bull calf
    Aaxbrfr
    http://imageshack.us/a/img593/9711/photomar30114007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

johnpawl wrote: »
    Lookin for replacements off this one but another pt bull calf
    Aaxbrfr
    http://imageshack.us/a/img593/9711/photomar30114007.jpg

Would you ever double suck the likes of that cow JP .??
    Her elder is nearly bigger than the calf :D

• Advertisement

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Would you ever double suck the likes of that cow JP .??
    Her elder is nearly bigger than the calf :D
    If i had her she'd be in the parlour and the calf would be making do with a bottle :D

If i had her she'd be in the parlour and the calf would be making do with a bottle :D

She makes some job of her calf at weaning tbh alot of my cows would be like this

She makes some job of her calf at weaning tbh
    Theres no beating a good suckled calf,bucket fed just arent as good

Theres no beating a good suckled calf,bucket fed just arent as good

The aaxbrfr do well for me, loads of milk and great mothers and can be bought off the dairy lads as calves. I intend to always have them to breed replacements off to keep milk in the herd. Also when they have bull calves they always do very well, so can't really lose and no need for big amounts of ration to replace milk.

The aaxbrfr do well for me, loads of milk and great mothers and can be bought off the dairy lads as calves. I intend to always have them to breed replacements off to keep milk in the herd. Also when they have bull calves they always do very well, so can't really lose and no need for big amounts of ration to replace milk.
    Do you source direct or go to the mart?

Do you source direct or go to the mart?

Direct

Direct

Regulars?

Regulars?

Off the neighbours whenever I want them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Couple of first calvers and bull calves for the suckler ring tomorrow - first of this years drafts for sale. All pb and off our own stock bull, calves are feb born. Don't know what trade will be like but i had them entered and advertised and the auctioneer rang today to make sure i was bringing them as he had a man taking a day off work to come - at least one persons interested!

Got £2000 and £1975 for the two yokes on Friday. Happy enough and two less mouths to feed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Got a few twin ewes and lambs out today .
    Grass isn't wonderful but will have to make do .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4765837

Purebred Limousin heifer for sale at Premier heifer sale in Roscrea on Saturday April 27th

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4765837

Purebred Limousin heifer for sale at Premier heifer sale in Roscrea on Saturday April 27th
    Nice heifer. Plenty of muscle anyway. Is she yours?

20130319124030.jpg

20130319124049.jpg

20130319124026.jpg

Ardlea Dan heifer calf out of an Orly cow with plenty of milk. She also has Vivaldi and Nenuphar breeding.

Born 3rd of October 2012 she is a very docile, square calf with the potential to make a quality cow.

Nice heifer. Plenty of muscle anyway. Is she yours?

Thanks, she is indeed, nice heifer alright. Muscle score of 138

20130319124323.jpg

20130319124259.jpg

20130319124228.jpg

An Orly cow Vicky was one of the first purebreds purchased and has gone on to breed a number of quality bulls and heifers. A square cow with plenty of milk she has an Ardlea Dan heifer calf at foot and she is scanned in calf to Haltcliffe Dancer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

247557.jpg

247558.jpg

247559.jpg
    first calf on right is a lmx, second and fourth are jersey twins, the jersey are actually a week older!!

20130319124024.jpg

20130319124127.jpg

20130319124120.jpg

Wilodge Vantastic heifer out of a Malibu cow born in September 2010. Purchased in Roscrea October 2012 and served to Ampertaine Abracadabra and scanned in calf

20130319124054.jpg

20130319124425.jpg

20130319124047.jpg

Tonka heifer out of a Ferry cow with Ideal 23 also in the breeding. Born on the 4th of September 2011 Gina was bought at the Premier heifer sale in Roscrea in November 2012 and has since been served to Ampertaine Abracadabra and is scanned in calf

Some lovely stock there Munster Magic.
    I particularly like the ADX heifer.

20130319124054.jpg

Tonka heifer out of a Ferry cow with Ideal 23 also in the breeding. Born on the 4th of September 2011 Gina was bought at the Premier heifer sale in Roscrea in November 2012 and has since been served to Ampertaine Abracadabra and is scanned in calf

Nice heifer. I was there when she was sold. You bought her handy enough. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement