Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Bizzum wrote: »
    Some lovely stock there Munster Magic.
    I particularly like the ADX heifer.

Thanks, have to say I prefer the Erasmus heifer myself though
    pakalasa wrote: »
    Nice heifer. I was there when she was sold. You bought her handy enough. ;)

Might be handy for a lad with alot of money like yourself:p

I will admit she wasn't our first choice that day, we were actually hoping to get lot 52 who was in the same pin as this one but she was sold for €6700

20130319171320.jpg

20130319180900.jpg

20130319171322.jpg

An Ideal 23 cow born in December 2005 Annette was purchased from Ardnacrusha Limousins in October 2008 and since then she has bred many prizewinning bulls and heifers. Currently she has an Elite Erasmus heifer calf at foot and last years calf, another Erasmus heifer, Meenross Hero will be selling at Roscrea Premier sale on Saturday April 27th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

class stock MM great to see a good flurry of photos on this thread keep it up!!! Do you think you'l be purchasing at the heifer prem this year?

class stock MM great to see a good flurry of photos on this thread keep it up!!! Do you think you'l be purchasing at the heifer prem this year?

Depends if I sell my own one tbh. If I do I might buy one to replace her but if not I will keep her to breed her

Best of luck with her anyway MM. I have an ERE bull that we plan to sell later in the year and his figures for maternal and terminal are also poor. Unfortunatly this probably will effect price because teagasc and the likes have drilled into people that sbv and these type of index's are the be all and end all!! Set your minimum price for her and try not let her go too handy cos she looks a class heifer and will make a cracking cow for someone despite an index!!

Best of luck with her anyway MM. I have an ERE bull that we plan to sell later in the year and his figures for maternal and terminal are also poor. Unfortunatly this probably will effect price because teagasc and the likes have drilled into people that sbv and these type of index's are the be all and end all!! Set your minimum price for her and try not let her go too handy cos she looks a class heifer and will make a cracking cow for someone despite an index!!

She wont be going handy. I have no problem keeping her as she is a great heifer imo and out of a top cow

I'm not too sure about all these figures either, alot of it seems to be guesswork and bs

Will you be bringing the bull to Roscrea in October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

20130319180900.jpg

Great stock there MM. Looks like ye've an eye for quality.

I notice this lady has tail paint. Do you use it much and find it good? I've a vasectomised bull but I'm starting to think he's a bit lazy. I was thinking of putting tail paint on the cows as well (unfortunately it's not much effort as they're all still in!). Will any auld paint do?

just do it wrote: »
    Great stock there MM. Looks like ye've an eye for quality.

I notice this lady has tail paint. Do you use it much and find it good? I've a vasectomised bull but I'm starting to think he's a bit lazy. I was thinking of putting tail paint on the cows as well (unfortunately it's not much effort as they're all still in!). Will any auld paint do?

It hasn't failed us yet anyway. We get it at the local co-op, they have a choice of colours and all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Thanks, have to say I prefer the Erasmus heifer myself though

Might be handy for a lad with alot of money like yourself:p

I will admit she wasn't our first choice that day, we were actually hoping to get lot 52 who was in the same pin as this one but she was sold for €6700
    I was only at the sale for a look and see how the different bulls were breeding etc. But I had a look through the heifers before the sale. She was one I had picked out (I had her ticked in my catalogue). She caught my eye anyway.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

She wont be going handy. I have no problem keeping her as she is a great heifer imo and out of a top cow

I'm not too sure about all these figures either, alot of it seems to be guesswork and bs

I find the new figure system a lot more reliable than the old SBV system. Got an ICBF report for my cows last week which has figures for most of them. Going on calf prices and looking at any heifers that I kept, the figures were just aout spot on! Anything that had a bad figure was something that I have earmarked for getting rid of.

Have a young bull myself which has a -€14 Maternal figure and a €110 terminal figure. I was annoyed at these figures at first. He was an expensive straw (Sauvignon - before Dovea bought him) and I had to pay royalties on him too. But looking at his figures - he has had a lot of assisted calvings, heifers off him have poor milk levels. But calves off him are quite big, they put on muscle fast and they obviously kill out well. But you would only want to be using him on mature cows. The figures aren't guessed, they are from data fed back over the years. They compare prices achieved, weight gains, selling weight prices etc. etc. Every year, the figures become more reliable too!

• Advertisement

What I noticed aswell is, certain bulls that were heavily used down through the years because they were easy calving are scoring better under the new system. Bulls like the Limousin Malibu and Charolais Pirate.
    At the end of the day, it's not all about producing fine looking cattle. Profit is what counts and these new figures are reflecting just that. Nobody wants hard calving bulls or cows requiring c-sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

while ye are on the topic of bulls i had a ped angus cow calf last year from the black bull bohey corporal and got a red angus calf. and calf is by far the worst weanling. on there website it said ''this bull was purchased based on progency'' 5 farms within 5 mile radius also had red angus calfs from him. not what i wanted anyway from a good ped cow.!:mad:

while ye are on the topic of bulls i had a ped angus cow calf last year from the black bull bohey corporal and got a red angus calf. and calf is by far the worst weanling. on there website it said ''this bull was purchased based on progency'' 5 farms within 5 mile radius also had red angus calfs from him. not what i wanted anyway from a good ped cow.!:mad:

That bull was bred close to here. Several of the lads in our discussion group used him and weren't happy. His figures on ICBF wouldn't be too encouraging for puttinmg on a pedigree cow to me anyway:

http://herdplus.icbf.com/bull-search/view/animalId/469294116

Had him on a heifer last year and had to get vet to take him - he wasn't too big, just awkward IYKWIM. A red calf too. Have the calf still nad he is pretty shapely. Will be selling him for grass in a few weeks time!

No he won't go to Roscrea he's a good bull but he would need to be absolutly top notch to go there if there was any chance of selling him and making all the time and expense that goes hand in hand with bringing stock to these type of sales pay off. Halter training an october Haltcliffe Dancer out of a Reigus cow( our best cow) with next march premier in mind. Now HE's a Cracker. I'll try get a pic up soon.

20130319124323.jpg

20130319124259.jpg

20130319124228.jpg

An Orly cow Vicky was one of the first purebreds purchased and has gone on to breed a number of quality bulls and heifers. A square cow with plenty of milk she has an Ardlea Dan heifer calf at foot and she is scanned in calf to Haltcliffe Dancer
    No he won't go to Roscrea he's a good bull but he would need to be absolutly top notch to go there if there was any chance of selling him and making all the time and expense that goes hand in hand with bringing stock to these type of sales pay off. Halter training an october Haltcliffe Dancer out of a Reigus cow( our best cow) with next march premier in mind. Now HE's a Cracker. I'll try get a pic up soon.

Do, I have the cow above incalf to Dancer. I am doing a bit with the Ardlea Dan heifer calf at the minute, hope to bring her to Roscrea in November and I have another Erasmus heifer coming on for next April as well

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Wilodge Vantastic heifer out of a Malibu cow born in September 2010. Purchased in Roscrea October 2012 and served to Ampertaine Abracadabra and scanned in calf

Vantastic is the man in UK and NI at mo to attract premium money with ped breeders

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

reilig wrote: »
    That bull was bred close to here. Several of the lads in our discussion group used him and weren't happy. His figures on ICBF wouldn't be too encouraging for puttinmg on a pedigree cow to me anyway:

http://herdplus.icbf.com/bull-search/view/animalId/469294116

Had him on a heifer last year and had to get vet to take him - he wasn't too big, just awkward IYKWIM. A red calf too. Have the calf still nad he is pretty shapely. Will be selling him for grass in a few weeks time!

yeah i wont be using him again anyway. was a nice calf but very poor now no height to him at all well built but lacks in height. have my own bull from bagatelle bred from cow that is half sister to coney island legend dam, so he does the business now on all stock. :)

kboc wrote: »
    Vantastic is the man in UK and NI at mo to attract premium money with ped breeders

Easier said than done to get straws of him though:(

Just to demonstrate the value of digging trial holes to see what you're got here are examples of different soil profiles all within the same 45ac plot of land.

1st. This is a deep trench flowing through the length of the place which at this point is bottomless peat. Here it is 5-6ft deep and that is a piece of bog deal on the bottom sitting on a peat bed.
    20130402221413.jpg

2nd. Same trench further on. Here there is 4'6" to 5' of peat sitting on top of impermeable clay.
    20130402221321.jpg

3rd. This is a 3ft deep channel which will be filled with stone and pipe. There is 1ft of peat sitting on impermeable clay.
    20130402221133.jpg

4th. At trench on higher ground showing 1ft of top soil on impermeable subsoil. This is at the edge of the silage field I've posted about lately and I believe is suitable for mole ploughing.
    20130402221248.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

Just do it, what diameter pipe are you thinking of using? I've similiar land toying with 4 inch corripipes reckon I could flush them out if they got blocked not sure the yellow pipe would survive in softish ground with a heap of stones dumped on them. On the plus side the clay land has dried out much better than I expected. Like you I reckon I could moleplough if we got a prolonged dry spell/summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

kboc wrote: »

Hes goin well down south too,At around 900e a straw its some gamble, Cerberus is a half brother and he is breeding outstanding cattle too

ABlur wrote: »
    Just do it, what diameter pipe are you thinking of using? I've similiar land toying with 4 inch corripipes reckon I could flush them out if they got blocked not sure the yellow pipe would survive in softish ground with a heap of stones dumped on them. On the plus side the clay land has dried out much better than I expected. Like you I reckon I could moleplough if we got a prolonged dry spell/summer.
    This is only a short channel drain linking a new trench to the main trench. It will potentially carry a lot of water so I may even go with a 6" pipe.

Have you any drainage in the clay land that has dried out?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Hes goin well down south too,At around 900e a straw its some gamble, Cerberus is a half brother and he is breeding outstanding cattle too
    From what I've seen, Cerebus is breeding better. But I'm no expert.

Ya breeding better females anyway,maybe not as muscular as vantastic, but very growthy,long and seem to have great pelvis structure.

Ya, it was his heifers I saw.

• Advertisement

Cerberus pictured.

Charolais would be my preferred breed but its hard to beat quality in any breed.

Nothing wrong with this guy. Easy calving too.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4577100

Hes a class looking animal alright,wouldn't think he would be too easy calved with a front shoulder like that,it seems wider than his hips,super shape for a charolais,domino son X CF52 plenty of muscle.

Hes a class looking animal alright,wouldn't think he would be too easy calved with a front shoulder like that,it seems wider than his hips,super shape for a charolais,domino son X CF52 plenty of muscle.

52 was like that. Easy calved. The front shoulder shape didn't develop until the calf was a couple of months old.

reilig wrote: »
    52 was like that. Easy calved. The front shoulder shape didn't develop until the calf was a couple of months old.

Maybe,but this guy looks more like a blue than a char,great calf regardless.

I must try LGL on a few sucklers.

• Advertisement

I have a couple of Cerberus straws that I am hoping to get a few embryos from with the Ideal23 cow

Goin well alrite we bred 2 vantastics. veteran heifer calf out of one of them sold for €4300 at october premier. Had our 1st cerberus last week nice long calf born easy a bit young yet to judge him for sure but happy with what i see. Pity about price have 1 more straw in the tank but like munster magic going to leave it there for a flush.

Goin well alrite we bred 2 vantastics. veteran heifer calf out of one of them sold for €4300 at october premier. Had our 1st cerberus last week nice long calf born easy a bit young yet to judge him for sure but happy with what i see. Pity about price have 1 more straw in the tank but like munster magic going to leave it there for a flush.

80e a straw i think,in a few years,they could be a similar price to vantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

On the topic of heavily muscled Charlaois , and i seen LGL mentioned there also , has anyone any Crossmolina Euro (CSQ) calves on the ground ????

I might buy a couple of more so:D

She was a very nice heifer and if we weren't waiting for lot 52 we probably would have gone on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone use the LM bull Tonka. I see progressive genetics have straws for sale - 5 for E200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Richk2012 wrote: »
    On the topic of heavily muscled Charlaois , and i seen LGL mentioned there also , has anyone any Crossmolina Euro (CSQ) calves on the ground ????

Yup. Two sets of twins and a v easily muscled bull last year.
    More easily calved than was originally speculated.

Richk2012 wrote: »

Dont think hes very consistent,but breeding some good calves i hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

First cows out today :D
    Two cows and their twins. Sorry about the crap photo, Blackberry isnt good at zoom!
    leitrim2013040400035.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And freed up space to let our monster back onto the slats. Thinking about putting Sultan on the cow this year, hard calved but if she can calve him:confused:
    leitrim2013040400036.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Some weaned sucks enjoying the sunshine in a sheltered haggard beside the old yard..

sucksz.jpg

Two HEX bulls I bought at the weekend.. Soon to be weaned..
    photo5ij.jpg

Vintage Silage making

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

A friends calf, KFY heifer out of a yellow charolais cow, shes a dinger :D

photo_zps143c4b8c.jpg

Sultan should be no prob for that cow kovu,her char calf should be worth a nice few pound next October

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 rocketjk

pakalasa wrote: »
    Vintage Silage making

Cute lads them carey's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

cows busy grazing- 15days left on the first rotation003tcm.jpg

006dyf.jpg005ckz.jpg

a couple of ABO calves born this week011hdk.jpg010ywa.jpg

sheds full- not a common sight for this time of year013jw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Just seeing can I post a photo pay no attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

delaval wrote: »
    Just seeing can I post a photo pay no attention
    Phuck it didn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

5768CB4B_zps788b7764.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

delaval wrote: »
    Phuck it didn't work

It's fairly easy Delaval :D

right click on the image "Copy image URL"

Come onto boards and the topic you want to post in.
    When you get there go the the comment box and find the button underline in the picture below.
    (Second from the right in the normal comment box, the one in the picture is from the 'go advanced comment box, which comes up once you quote someone.)

68399247.png

A dialogue box will come up once you click it, delete the writing that will be in blue and then right click just hit paste and the link should show up inside the box, then click ok. Submit reply and off you go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement