Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Good luck with them Redzer

Are you increasing in numbers or are they just replacements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Good luck with them Redzer

Are you increasing in numbers or are they just replacements?

Sound, No just replacements for the auld biddys. I dont think theres too many thinking about increasing numbers at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Sound, No just replacements for the auld biddys. I dont think theres too many thinking about increasing numbers at the moment.

I'd say there will be a fair fall in suckler cow numbers in Ireland in the next few years, bar something dramatic happens

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I'd say there will be a fair fall in suckler cow numbers in Ireland in the next few years, bar something dramatic happens

Well if this summer goes like the last a lot of suckler lads will be put to the pin of their collar. Theres no grass around here yet and everyone I have talked to in the last week is either out of silage or a week away from it. Im lucky that my uncle had a few surplus bales and i can get them off him because theres no silage to be got otherwise. If this weather trend continues lads will have no choice but to reduce numbers. We never had cows in the winterage as late before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

From experience, there is no money in producing middle of the road weanlings. I used to buy batches of fr bulls. Way handier, more even, less acres invested, no cows going down or starts. A lot to be said for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

4 heifers I bought for breeding lads. 2 charolais I bought of a friend at home knowing they will have a bit of milk. I bought the red lims off another neighbour, both are out of sim cows and a malibu stock bull so should be ok for milk too. The charolais are around 430kg and the lims are around 360.

photo_zps53878212.jpg

I just love those Nth Clare animals, as honest as the day is long they are. best of luck with them, dont pamper them too much with whats in front of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great shape and cut to those heifers alright. Nearly a shame to make cows of them (in a way). You've a great eye Redz no doubt about it.

If lads in Meath and the likes got their hands on them for fattening, can you imagine what way they'd look heading to the factory.

With the way the spring has been so far weather and fodder wise, you'I get plenty of anonymous 'hoof kickers' from here anyway!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Great looking heifers there, Redzer. Nothing like the Burren to get the bone right in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Redzer

Best of luck with them. A lot to be said for knowing where you sourced them from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Redser,
    I particularly like the ChX heifer. She looks to have great depth and length to her. If she brings enough milk she'll be a good one. What bull will you send them to?

just do it wrote: »
    Redzer

Best of luck with them. A lot to be said for knowing where you sourced them from.
    There is alright, The two Charolais werent a rob but I paid enough for the 2 lims to be honest and I was slow enough about buying them but they are very quiet, guaranteed to have milk and i know they werent pushed so they might be worth it in the long run. The few times I have bought heifers in the mart I get a bit carried away with myself and go for the really fancy ones which arent really the type to breed. No milk, no altitude about them, you know yourself. Theres nothing special about the 2 reds but I know they will throw a good charolais calf down the road sometime.
    Bizzum wrote: »
    Redser,
    I particularly like the ChX heifer. She looks to have great depth and length to her. If she brings enough milk she'll be a good one. What bull will you send them to?

There's a bit of power about her alright and she was out for the winter, probably looking her worst at the moment. The one with the white face is every bit as good as her but didnt really want to pose for the camera for me :rolleyes: I might ai them in June when there's only the 4 of them rather than letting them off with the bull. Need to get a few straws though because all i have in my pot is ROX and KIB and im not giving either of them to a heifer. Here's a pic of the broken coloured heifer when she was a weanling.

photo_zps52cee12d.jpg

I just love those Nth Clare animals, as honest as the day is long they are. best of luck with them, dont pamper them too much with whats in front of them

That was only for the photo bob, their diet of white grass and green rushes has been restored form today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Moved the sheep to a new paddock yesterday evening. Was a lovely day here yesterday...

I walked this paddock about a week or so ago, and the change in the amount of grass there was surprising... :)
    (Admittedly, there is a lot more grass up the top than there is further down, but I was very happy to see nice looking grass, even if twas in only a small bit of the field) ;)

250109.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I haven't seen that much grass in one place all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

A few calves in the sun enjoying grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Stan, that photo is very similar to what my land is like at present like standing in a lake- blue at the bottom. Does it need a 180 turn? Lads will ye quit with the photos of grass, some of us will get severly depressed as how this country is ill divided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Stan, that photo is very similar to what my land is like at present like standing in a lake- blue at the bottom. Does it need a 180 turn? Lads will ye quit with the photos of grass, some of us will get severly depressed as how this country is ill divided.

Never mind country, we're in the same county and theres no grass round here :(

td5man wrote: »
    Never mind country, we're in the same county and theres no grass round here :(
    Look on the bright side, you don't have to be filling that spreader!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

aye! Nothing west of Navan anyways! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

!cid_cidImage_P__4369.jpgthe boss ,really after filling out into a mature bull,just in nice condition to go to work in 10 days time.

silage ground aiming to cut 20may
    004e.JPG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cattle ground getting strong
    009qrm.jpg

calves enjoying sun

007dgq.jpg

second round 4days away-cover of 1200-will stop buffer next week
    018afr.jpg

huge covers building most paddocks at 7-900 will be getting mower ready for 2weeks time
    021tq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

when was your first cut last year?

whelan1 wrote: »
    when was your first cut last year?

around 14may afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

stanflt wrote: »
    around 14may afaik

Has all silage ground and cattle ground been grazed this year?

stores grazing beet tops

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are you buying much in at the moment Bob?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are you buying much in at the moment Bob?

As many as Bank Of Ireland/AIB want on deposit here :D

Busy

Busy

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    Busy

Don't mind me after several attempts I've finally cracked posting a photo

Busy

Busy, looking out over the hedge at your neighbors cows

Don't mind me after several attempts I've finally cracked posting a photo

please don't bore us now with continuos pictures of cows swimming in lush grass, we need more hardship pictures on here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Busy

your feeding them too much, sure half them are sitting down;)

dar31 wrote: »
    your feeding them too much, sure half them are sitting down;)

Very little else to do

stanflt wrote: »
    around 14may afaik

image.png

Earmarked for breeding already, 6 week old lim heifer out of a shorthorn cow.

c5b2f628-a3cd-4de3-b8aa-f316f82f6cc8_zpsca669f4e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have the cows out on the rented block right beside our farm at the second, decent cover on a big 20acre field on it! Only only problem is the 1/2 inch water supply, with water barely trickling out of the pipe. Desperate measure here drawing water as such ha, but well worth it given the lack of grass on the rest of the farm!

eY7fkVC.jpg

Timmaay wrote: »

eY7fkVC.jpg

Great grass there Timmaay.

Is it just the picture or does the tank seem to be below the trough? would it flow better if the tank was reversed in from the top side? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Is there a pump on it ?

hairy heifers, zero-grazing :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What kind of money are those type heifers making at the minute bob ? I have a few that i was going to keep for bulling but half thinking of not keeping them now at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Muckit wrote: »
    Great grass there Timmaay.

Is it just the picture or does the tank seem to be below the trough? would it flow better if the tank was reversed in from the top side? :)

Yeh, hasn't been grazed sense last Sept/Oct. In terms of the tank, maybe the bottom is afew inches under the top of the trough, not really a big problem, I just tip up the tank to get all but the last few litres out. Holds about 1000L, had to make 3 trips today with it. The cows did run dry in the early afternoon, as I was off the farm for afew hours. I don't send them over there at night, too far and I'd have to be up at 3am drawing water :P. I thought about using the slurry tanker, but would be a massive job to try get it clean enough?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Yeh, hasn't been grazed sense last Sept/Oct. In terms of the tank, maybe the bottom is afew inches under the top of the trough, not really a big problem, I just tip up the tank to get all but the last few litres out. Holds about 1000L, had to make 3 trips today with it. The cows did run dry in the early afternoon, as I was off the farm for afew hours. I don't send them over there at night, too far and I'd have to be up at 3am drawing water :P. I thought about using the slurry tanker, but would be a massive job to try get it clean enough?

Don't mind them timmaay. They're like my ould lad, finding fault with everything.

moy83 wrote: »
    What kind of money are those type heifers making at the minute bob ? I have a few that i was going to keep for bulling but half thinking of not keeping them now at all

eleven hundred ish, average around the 500kg mark

• Advertisement

Would that be a good price for both buyer and seller?

Would that be a good price for both buyer and seller?

i would hope to sell for a bit more and buy for a bit less:D,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Would have made more than that in Tuam Mart last week, was looking for a few,too dear up to1300

red bull wrote: »
    Would have made more than that in Tuam Mart last week, was looking for a few,too dear up to1300

How dare you contradict that man :eek:

Has Spring sprung????

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement