Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

delaval wrote: »
    Busy

Is that a blue cow in the middle of that photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tipp Man wrote: »

She used to be black and white but she was left out in the rain too long:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

well did you sell??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

well did you sell??

Sorry, meant to say sale is this Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Has Spring sprung????

Great grass for them ....
    I wont see that green colour for another 3 weeks id say .
    Is the brown one a jersy ???

well did you sell??

Any idea why my post was taken down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Probably because advertising is against the fourm charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sorry, we can't allow advertising. If you want to pay for advertising, contact one of the admins

reilig wrote: »
    Sorry, we can't allow advertising. If you want to pay for advertising, contact one of the admins

Fair enough. Only one of the heifers were my own, just thought I would throw up a few pictures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Yes we have about 6. They are not BB probably a throw back to Shorthorn. We always try to serve with aa white or red bull to get a blue. We had no blue born this year or last

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Great grass for them ....
    I wont see that green colour for another 3 weeks id say .
    Is the brown one a jersy ???
    Yes Jex we have about 60% xbred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

For some of ye lads who live outside of the West. These odd shaped objects called stones have littered our land for centenaries and have to be arranged in organised piles (walls). Sometimes they fall.

Step 1: Horror

[IMG][/img]WP_000035_zpsfc9fd825.jpg

Step 2: Acceptance and clearout

[IMG][/img]WP_000036_zpsc702ea66.jpg

Step 3: Off to Pub.

WP_000058_zps8e38a2a3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

munkus wrote: »
    For some of ye lads who live outside of the West. These odd shaped objects called stones have littered our land for centenaries and have to be arranged in organised piles (walls). Sometimes they fall.

Good job...the wild goats are forever knocking the walls around here:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Nicely rebuilt, probably one of my least favourite jobs. Some of the stones in my walls, you'd wonder how people ever managed to move them. Big chunks of that blue granite (or whatever it is, it's bloody heavy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

often got step one and two completed and headed to the pub to comtemplate how much work will be involved in doing step 3.

nothing like stone walling to calm the mind. Back in the days of the onset of the BSE crisis 96 we as good as went to the wall (business wise and literally:D), having no money to stay on the road buying animals we worked around the land to fix things up. Must of built a mile of stone walls that still look great to this day. great satisfaction in the job

Brilliant job. We don't have round here TG. I often wondered would the stone not be more valuable as a road way and use electric fence as a fence......,,,.,or have I asked a dumb question??

Brilliant job. We don't have round here TG. I often wondered would the stone not be more valuable as a road way and use electric fence as a fence......,,,.,or have I asked a dumb question??

Interesting question. That is a boundary wall on our farm that was built around 1840. I think the Landlord, Gregory in Coole, Gort, commissioned for much of this in the south Galway area. The original sections that are still standing have phenomenal stonework, it's like they cut the stone.

As to the question of roadways, there's so much of the stone around that over years of ploughing them up and reclaiming land you could pave most farms with it. Well built walls are probably a better barrier than a fence in any case. You'd also have to get it crushed to be suitable for roadways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

They're very handy as shelter for stock. Other than that, not handy in the slightest :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

The clearout stage is a great job . Im usually lazy and tell myself that it will be grand to start about a foot up on top and you know how that ends up . Start all over again starting properly this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

well we had to put the stones somewhere so that we could find the earth in the fields. the higher the walls the bigger we could make the fields.

As for roads, remove the dust of topsoil that blew over the rocks and you will have a harder surface than under the M50

You must be farming worlds apart from us poor peasants down here

well we had to put the stones somewhere so that we could find the earth in the fields. the higher the walls the bigger we could make the fields.

As for roads, remove the dust of topsoil that blew over the rocks and you will have a harder surface than under the M50

You must be farming worlds apart from us poor peasants down here
    No need to over do it Poor Peasant two adjectives rarely used to describe you I'd say.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer though

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fishfarmer

Always wondered how you stop them from falling over. Seen stone walls that were fairly thin. Do ye just build them a few stones thicker at the bottom or something?
    I should really just ask the old fella, he's mad for building them, purely for the craic. :confused:

fishfarmer wrote: »
    Always wondered how you stop them from falling over. Seen stone walls that were fairly thin. Do ye just build them a few stones thicker at the bottom or something?
    I should really just ask the old fella, he's mad for building them, purely for the craic. :confused:

Ya, the single stone walls are harder to build than these, as they have to balance perfectly. Handy enough to build these are they are being filled inside as you work your way up and the stone is supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Some of July'12 born sucks we reared..
    Out now near 2 weeks and loving it..
    Getting .5kg beef nut daily for the moment..

phototjm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

bbam wrote: »
    Some of July'12 born sucks we reared..
    Out now near 2 weeks and loving it..
    Getting .5kg beef nut daily for the moment..

phototjm.jpg

5 kg each?? Wooh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha I was just going to say that I'm not going to moan the next time I have to spend 10mins pushing a temporary electric fence back afew feet etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

adne wrote: »
    5 kg each?? Wooh
    .5kg, = 0.5kg :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

250874.jpg

this is renandstimpy pic from above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

.5kg, = 0.5kg :o

Phew. Was thinking this lad has more cash than sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

E2B17B49_zps9b03e33e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

Bodacious wrote: »
    E2B17B49_zps9b03e33e.jpg

theres notting nicer than snow white charolais calves. are you happy with with your LGL calves have you only got the two of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

limo_100 wrote: »
    theres notting nicer than snow white charolais calves. are you happy with with your LGL calves have you only got the two of them?

Very happy with them, only the two straws, ai'd same day - calved the same day, 2 white bulls, both fired them out.. younger cow put the calving bed out though after which mesmerises me as i never saw an easier calving and that to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've one LGL calf myself. Very handy when born, but starting to grow away now, like only the Charolais can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

A handy little heifer calf a 3 year old springer threw out yesterday, looking grand and content for herself this morning.

photo_zpsa2650d5c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Went for a walk today and found some grass! :)
    Hopefully will leave cows out in a few days.
    Last couple of days now you can see the cattle dotting around the various farms.
    Welcomed sight to see
    8686727300_777084fb5b_z.jpg

Feel bad posting this after that last picture :o:o
    Lovely pasture there Zetor..

We made a weedlicker a few years ago to do battle with the rushes.. On our low lying land there is little drainage and no further room as we're in the bottom of the valley and downstream drainage is very slow..

Anyway... here's a meadow where we can travel 3/4 of it when the going is good.. You can see we had some success beating the rushes back into the last 1/4 we can't travel... there's a bog hole in there somewhere !! 3 years ago the whole field was like the last 1/4, and while a good regrowth of rush is there I'm happy with the progress to date.. Another run of the licker when its grazed should go a long way..

img0861pa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pakalasa wrote: »
    I've one LGL calf myself. Very handy when born, but starting to grow away now, like only the Charolais can.

Fine calf. He looks lovely.

Lovely evening kids playing hurling in the paddock cows starting to settle for the night enjoying a cup of coffee in the garden. Well when I say garden that's what it must look like for Communion on Sun week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

Feel bad posting this after that last picture :o:o
    Lovely pasture there Zetor..

We made a weedlicker a few years ago to do battle with the rushes.. On our low lying land there is little drainage and no further room as we're in the bottom of the valley and downstream drainage is very slow..

Anyway... here's a meadow where we can travel 3/4 of it when the going is good.. You can see we had some success beating the rushes back into the last 1/4 we can't travel... there's a bog hole in there somewhere !! 3 years ago the whole field was like the last 1/4, and while a good regrowth of rush is there I'm happy with the progress to date.. Another run of the licker when its grazed should go a long way..

img0861pa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    How long did it take to get it looking like that and did you only lick them no cutting? I have fields that look like that last 1/4 and want to sort em out

quadboy wrote: »
    How long did it take to get it looking like that and did you only lick them no cutting? I have fields that look like that last 1/4 and want to sort em out

Spring lick, graze., mow. Graze and lick early autumn.
    Gallup at 100:1 in the licker.

They can be licked without mowing for regrowth. We go out with the licker whenever the ground is good. Unfortunately, that's not often enough !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

Spring lick, graze., mow. Graze and lick early autumn.
    Gallup at 100:1 in the licker.

They can be licked without mowing for regrowth. We go out with the licker whenever the ground is good. Unfortunately, that's not often enough !
    Yeah must def get a licker I see a load starting to appear in places that never before had em and the ground wouldn't even be that wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

10 day old lim bull calf out of MBP and a 36 month old second calver

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

that heifer a bit of angus in her.? smashing calf by the way.!!

Clever cow

Clever cow

1 twine we use to activate auger if we have a short row

2 cow pulling

3 Jackpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We wouldnt have the best of cows . Alot of aax and that bull is bringing the best of calves from them I must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

that heifer a bit of angus in her.? smashing calf by the way.!!

As far as I know the cow is out of a br fr x aa dam and a ch stock bull. She has piles of milk and did a great job on her calf last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

1 twine we use to activate auger if we have a short row

2 cow pulling

3 Jackpot
    had one like that, used to feed herself, let herself and her comrades into into the parlour one night and fed them all, in the end she got stomach ulcers from too much feed, her own fault really:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement