Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

moy83 wrote: »
    We wouldnt have the best of cows . Alot of aax and that bull is bringing the best of calves from them I must say

Have to agree he's throwing pretty good calves here too. Bringing good size n muscle to them. How do u find him on calving ease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Have to agree he's throwing pretty good calves here too. Bringing good size n muscle to them. How do u find him on calving ease?
    Grand for calving TG I had a fine bull calf out of a blue cow that wouldnt be widest yoke in the shed and she had no bother with him .
    The camera is shagged in my phone but if I can swop the sim card into the wifes phone for an evening Ill throw up a pic of him and I have a heifer from a aax cow aswell that I think has a nice bit of style to her from MBP .
    We use all ai on our cows and he is the first bull that gave us above average calves from below average cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

moy83 wrote: »
    We use all ai on our cows and he is the first bull that gave us above average calves from below average cows
    Sounds like magic!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

just do it wrote: »
    Sounds like magic!:)
    I know , I should get a few free straws for such a glowing reference :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

whelan1 wrote: »
    had one like that, used to feed herself, let herself and her comrades into into the parlour one night and fed them all, in the end she got stomach ulcers from too much feed, her own fault really:D

I have one like that on video, love to post it but dont know how to, its priceless, help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

We went for a scenic drive yesterday and came across this. Coincidence or Planned???? Well done either way!

scenicdrive.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

2 year old heifer we had a nice pull with a few days ago. Not the best looking heifer in the world but her mother is a great breeder, pic of her and last years calf below

photo_zpsbdb391cc.jpg

photo-170.jpg

3 year old heifer with a fairly handy heifer calf the same evening

photo_zps35e3ef53.jpg

2 year old heifer ready to pop any minute, all fine and milky god bless them.

photo_zps74c988ec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

2 year old heifer we had a nice pull with a few days ago. Not the best looking heifer in the world but her mother is a great breeder, pic of her and last years ]:..................................are they out of the blonde bull u had last year?

2 year old heifer we had a nice pull with a few days ago. Not the best looking heifer in the world but her mother is a great breeder, pic of her and last years ]:..................................are they out of the blonde bull u had last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Redzer Thats not bad looking ground for the burren. is there much of a skin on it?

• Advertisement

mikeoh wrote: »
    Nope, he was as good as infertile...have one calf out of him :rolleyes: I bought a young lim bull to get myself out of trouble.
    1chippy wrote: »
    Redzer Thats not bad looking ground for the burren. is there much of a skin on it?

At least 2 feet of topsoil with white sand under it, very free draining type ground. Theres fields like that in the vallleys in most parts of the burren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Well its nice to see the calves enjoying their freedom :)

8694136846_bb2f4205a8_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Halter training started:)

20130429114157.jpg

20130429114219.jpg

20130429114230.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Jesus lads you're making me sorry I'm not in sucklers.

Often wondered, if you are not getting €1000 for the weanlings how do you make money from sucklers? I'm only asking as I see what our dry cows eat for the 6-8 weeks. I really resent what they eat as it costs so much to feed them but needs must.

delaval wrote: »
    Jesus lads you're making me sorry I'm not in sucklers.

Often wondered, if you are not getting €1000 for the weanlings how do you make money from sucklers? I'm only asking as I see what our dry cows eat for the 6-8 weeks. I really resent what they eat as it costs so much to feed them but needs must.

Outwintering probably saves a lot of cost for us, very fragmented farm too and most of our land wouldnt be good enough for finishing cattle so options are limited enough in regards enterprise. I think a high percentage of suckler farmers are on marginal land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Halter training started:)

20130429114157.jpg

20130429114219.jpg

20130429114230.jpg

Breeding MM???

Breeding MM???

Full sister to the heifer I had in Roscrea on Saturday. Elite Erasmus X Ideal 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

MM, any tips on halter training would be appreciated. I am hoping to train a few bulls this year to give me more options when it comes to selling. Any advice eg age to start would be great.

2 year old heifer ready to pop any minute, all fine and milky god bless them.

photo_zps74c988ec.jpg

legs out with 3/4 of an hour now and no progress made...Im afraid the jack beckons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

legs out with 3/4 of an hour now and no progress made...Im afraid the jack beckons :(

Well How'd u get on?All ok i hope!!

• Advertisement

Well How'd u get on?All ok i hope!!

Pulled him and he's grand, b1tch doesn't want to know anything about him though, anyone know how to get her to take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Throw a bit of bran (or loose meal) on the calf. I saw my older neighbour doing this, when cow wouldn't lick calf. Licking might get her switched on. Leave them locked up together aswell.

Out at last. Still tight on grass so will be in by night for a while yet.
    20130430082314.jpg

Just playing with the phone
    20130430083313.jpg

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    MM, any tips on halter training would be appreciated. I am hoping to train a few bulls this year to give me more options when it comes to selling. Any advice eg age to start would be great.

Will be easier for yourself if you start them as young as possible. That calf is 3 months old and has been caught a few times already. We can walk into the pen now and put the halter on her.

We nearly always tie them up whenever they are in. You are better off catching them a few times for 5mins rather than once or twice for 20mins

pakalasa wrote: »
    Throw a bit of bran (or loose meal) on the calf. I saw my older neighbour doing this, when cow wouldn't lick calf. Licking might get her switched on. Leave them locked up together aswell.

Tried it straight away pak but no good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Tried it straight away pak but no good :(
    pure nuisance when it happens, will you try and keep them indoors for a bit of confine them to some corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Pulled him and he's grand, b1tch doesn't want to know anything about him though, anyone know how to get her to take?

Get them into shed and plenty of patience .
    You can break some of them in a short time , others are more difficult .

Easier said than done , but dont let the calf get too many kicks or he wont have any confidence going for suck.

good luck :cool:

Redz, You could try introducing a dog too. I brought a young Jack Russell counting last night. Man, sent the cows into a mad panic. he loved it though. First dog we've had with no fear - but no sense either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

My new purchase lim 1st Calver wit handy sim heifer calf at foot. She's a bit low on the milk side of things but I'm hoping that will improve when she hits some good grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone feel like branching out to a specific market? :D

Bearsoup.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Anyone feel like branching out to a specific market? Quote]

Did you try any of it on your travels?

pure nuisance when it happens, will you try and keep them indoors for a bit of confine them to some corner?
    Richk2012 wrote: »
    Get them into shed and plenty of patience .
    You can break some of them in a short time , others are more difficult .

Easier said than done , but dont let the calf get too many kicks or he wont have any confidence going for suck.

good luck :cool:
    Redz, You could try introducing a dog too. I brought a young Jack Russell counting last night. Man, sent the cows into a mad panic. he loved it though. First dog we've had with no fear - but no sense either.

I have her in the shed and I think she has taken now, she wasnt too pleased to see sheba coming and was smelling the calf and mooing at it when I brought her in, she let him suck too but her eyes were glued to me so much I dont even think she knew the calf was sucking her. I threw a bit of salt on the calfs back and she licked him a small bit too so its looking fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone feel like branching out to a specific market? Quote]

Did you try any of it on your travels?

Bear meat? Yea, it is ridiculously expensive though. Up to 60 euro for a lb of 'sirloin' type of steak. Think I'll stick to the reindeer! That was tasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Bizzum wrote: »

Bear meat? Yea, it is ridiculously expensive though. Up to 60 euro for a lb of 'sirloin' type of steak. Think I'll stick to the reindeer! That was tasty :D

Hope to fug, it wasn't Rudolf!! Could be consternation in the camp next Christmas!!

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    MM, any tips on halter training would be http://db.tt/O3f54DdE I hope this link opens its well worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

i reseeded a few patches that didnt take so well last autumn, chain harrowed and rolled!!.. ive grazed it twice already and it just keeps coming back.. will reseed whole place in time:)

76F1BE05_zps8bf8b985.jpg

56D6E9AD_zps4394ee5c.jpg

that looks like a Ranger Grass harrow, made by Hackett. How do you find it?

that looks like a Ranger Grass harrow, made by Hackett. How do you find it?

i bought it in longford ... i thought the lad said it was dutch... pallet and cement stake and couple of old window weights give it more tilth.. great yoke though

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fishfarmer

Bodacious wrote: »
    i reseeded a few patches that didnt take so well last autumn, chain harrowed and rolled!!.. ive grazed it twice already and it just keeps coming back.. will reseed whole place in time:)

76F1BE05_zps8bf8b985.jpg

Lovely view ;)

• Advertisement

fishfarmer wrote: »
    Lovely view ;)

of the fish farms!?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

These communions are becoming more like weddings .
    Got invited to one next week , and the dinner is in a hotel 50 miles from the church , with some of the guests staying the night there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Richk2012 wrote: »
    These communions are becoming more like weddings .
    Got invited to one next week , and the dinner is in a hotel 50 miles from the church , with some of the guests staying the night there too

Wtf .... I thought this was a time of austerity! !! Thats just mental.

Bodacious wrote: »

Looking good. How did growth compare during the cold spell to old swards? Also when you say a few patches didn't take so well, does that mean you put out seed a second time?

Looking good. How did growth compare during the cold spell to old swards? Also when you say a few patches didn't take so well, does that mean you put out seed a second time?

I seeded it by hand and missed few patches .. Human error ... So yeah wont be doing that again as wasn't as precise as I thought I was.. Boring job too.. Only 1.7 acres in that paddock and far too much work went into it

Sprayed off aug 10th

Several runs of chain harrow plus weights... Couldn't get enough of a tear on the old grass so got tractor and springtine harrow then chain harrow to finish

Seeded sept 22nd plus 10-10-20 and rolled( got ground lime last year)

Too wet to graze it in harvest but grazed twice so far this year and yes it's recovery and response to manure is very impressive

Next time I'm going to spray off and try to get contractor to direct drill in few acres with disc thing and avoid all the harrowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

All freshly painted for Communion

delaval wrote: »
    All freshly painted for Communion

Handy bottle for applying it isn't it!
    20130501140945.jpg Another handy use for the locking barriers :)

Vasectomised bull lying down resting the chin ball on a cow. He's rested his head like this on a few cows around the tail head. It had me confused for a few mornings as cows were marked but I didn't think they were bulling :confused:

20130501141343.jpg

The Curragh this morning
    20130409093521.jpg

Same spot 3 weeks later!

20130501143515.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

same here, different colour, still no grass!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement