Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Muckit wrote: »
    same here, different colour, still no grass!!

I feel your pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pakalasa wrote: »
    Redz, You could try introducing a dog too. I brought a young Jack Russell counting last night. Man, sent the cows into a mad panic. he loved it though. First dog we've had with no fear - but no sense either.

I let her off this morning with him and she has taken, I let the dog in with her first to be sure though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Another 2 year old springer calved this morning when I went out, I left a hand on her at half 1 this morning and her bones werent stirred and the calf was up sucking at half 8 when I seen her again. 11 more to go now until a normal sleeping pattern can resume again :cool:

photo_zpsd8f465ec.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You were up at the same time as me Redzer:D
    Checked this girl at two, then half four, she was just starting to get sick to calve at that stage. By half seven, calf had arrived and she was mental. Still don't know if it's a bull or heifer! She's for the road this year anyway!
    img2013050100074.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cleaning out the shed today as only three cows left in, mice everywhere!! I should prob train the original Kovu to not play with his food:o

img2013050100071.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Checked this girl at two, then half four, she was just starting to get sick to calve at that stage. By half seven, calf had arrived and she was mental. Still don't know if it's a bull or heifer! She's for the road this year anyway!
    img2013050100074.jpg

Cleaning out the shed today as only three cows left in, mice everywhere!! I should prob train the original Kovu to not play with his food:o

img2013050100071.jpg

Whatbull is the calf by kovu ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

before reseed
    fr395size880.jpg

after reseed
    fr655size880.jpg

fr654size880.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...and I heard there wasn't a blade of grass "back west Clare". You must be very happy with that, Van. Did you do it yerself? By what method?

pakalasa wrote: »
    ...and I heard there wasn't a blade of grass "back west Clare". You must be very happy with that, Van. Did you do it yerself? By what method?

no contractors, it was drained as well, then sprayed off, disc harrowed and 2 runs of power harrow, seed spread with wagtail, then gran lime, 10-10-20 and rolled
    it looks good at the moment but its been a long haul, was done last april, its started raining a few days after seed went in and was wet enough all year, only half grazed by weanlings last autumn, hoping to get good crop of silage or two out this year though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Lovely job vander great to have fresh stuff like that this year especially . Just keep on top of the baxtard rushes now

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

how did you go about that vander did u spray off the rushes?
    or what

She has that twinkle in her eye alright. I'd be sure to have a gate between her and me at all times!

He's the sacrafical mouse while the rest of them get to safety!

how did you go about that vander did u spray off the rushes?
    or what

yes field was burned off with roundup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

May Day and not a pick of grass.

Pic 16. Looking for grass.
    Pic 18. A KFY Sim heifer out of a PB CH cow.
    Pic 20. A nice thick PB CH bull calf by AZA.

(Please Ignore the title of the links:confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Whatbull is the calf by kovu ???

Westside Bob, we've used him a lot the last couple of years. Only two blues left for us this year are VMP so that should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

Bizzum wrote: »
    May Day and not a pick of grass.

Pic 16. Looking for grass.
    Pic 18. A KFY Sim heifer out of a PB CH cow.
    Pic 20. A nice thick PB CH bull calf by AZA.

(Please Ignore the title of the links:confused:)

fine lumps of cows bizzum. how you find the charolais ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

fine lumps of cows bizzum. how you find the charolais ?

That cow in the picture there would kill you when she calves, otherwise she's alright. She is by Sylvain, goes in calf nicely, pops out a calf, and makes a good job rearing the calf. We will breed from her calf there all going well. The Simm should bring a touch of milk.
    Now that I think of it the 2 CH cows are by Sylvain, the other is a third calver, and again a tramp at calving, settles down then, breeds well. She's not as big a cow as the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

rotovating for beet at the uncles place, his dog came over to inspect finish. think i passed the test as he wasnt barking at me about it being too shallow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Another job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »
    Another job done

more like another job to do, get those docks sprayed ;)

• Advertisement

Never have to send for a smart ass round here

Never have to send for a smart ass round here

Publican said to me one night about going on holidays

"never pack a B*ll*x when your going on holidays, as its the first thing you will meet when you get there"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Publican said to me one night about going on holidays

"never pack a B*ll*x when your going on holidays, as its the first thing you will meet when you get there"

:D

And did you enjoy that holiday? ;)

And did you enjoy that holiday? ;)

I just looked in the mirror when the plane landed over and that was the first B*ll*x I met

Moved the sheep and lambs to a new paddock this morning. Was a lovely morning, not too cold...

252032.jpg

Grass is growing good enough the past 2 weeks down this side of the country.
    The sheep last grazed this paddock about 3-4 weeks ago (but to be fair they didn't graze it to the bone, as I wanted to ensure there would be better regrowth) Its still not super I know but it'll hold em for a few days and will move em on again...
    This year I am trying to keep them moving every 3-4 days...
    (And before anyone thinks I am anyway good at grass management or something like that, I'm not, I'm just very understocked)

252033.jpg

Those hampshire downs are gas looking little fellows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Another job done

How old are they?

Look fit for weaning

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How old are they?

Look fit for weaning

Fit to wean. Eating almost 2 kg Goldgrain nut 800gms milk replacer got them out to train to fence and will wean on Monday.
    Will keep on this paddock for 1 week to be sure all ok then they will move to heifer area to join other weaned calves.
    We moved earlycalved born Feb (weaned) calves there yesterday. I weighed in tractor trailer on way averaged 85kg. Cross breds mainly what do you think. They have 360 days till ai if they do .7/day they'll be fit. What do ye think?

I've a small patch of docks that have come in a hole I filled in. What's should I spray them with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Last of the babies getting milk..
    These lads are 7 & 8 weeks old..
    Just running out the end of a bag of milk and then out to grass..

[IMG][/img]photomay01194658.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These guys are from end jan onwards..
    Just the four babies from above to join them.. Always like when they all get together.. nicer to see and easier to manage..

[IMG][/img]photomay01195418.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

just do it wrote: »
    I've a small patch of docks that have come in a hole I filled in. What's should I spray them with?

Grazon 90 wil do a great job spent the last 2 days spot spraying a 15 acre silage field and on th 2nd day i could see the ones sprayed the day before starting to curl up!! mix 60 mls to 10 litres of water and robert is your fathers brother:D

Grazon 90 wil do a great job spent the last 2 days spot spraying a 15 acre silage field and on th 2nd day i could see the ones sprayed the day before starting to curl up!! mix 60 mls to 10 litres of water and robert is your fathers brother:D
    Great stuff as I've grazon already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Before you reseed, you spray with roundup, end of.

Roundup should be in the best investment thread!

got a lot of stick for reseeding 14th october 2012
    028bo.jpg
    030ek.jpg026sfz.jpg

stanflt wrote: »
    028bo.jpg
    030ek.jpg026sfz.jpg
    Are you sure you didn't install an underground heating system at the same time?!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

bbam wrote: »

These guys are from end jan onwards..
    Just the four babies from above to join them.. Always like when they all get together.. nicer to see and easier to manage..
    [/IMG]

bbam what weight would your jan calves be as i have 3 jan sucks bought in i only did it as i was bored and it passed the time for me. mine would be would be over 150KG but not quite 200KG yet would that be about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

vactomised bull, next best thing to the lad with all the tackle

252137.jpg

252138.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I wasn't much before ya, early oct,even with the relatively mild winter the field was very bare right through the last 6months, of course no growth with that spring we had, but its really rocketed up the last 2wks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

limo_100 wrote: »
    bbam what weight would your jan calves be as i have 3 jan sucks bought in i only did it as i was bored and it passed the time for me. mine would be would be over 150KG but not quite 200KG yet would that be about right?

I'd say they're doing very well at that sort of weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Not often one sees dairy calves suckling but here's one of ours - this one is a February born bull, suckled his mother for a month and then orphaned, since then has been rougue-ing the others (who, being dairy cows with little ongoing mothering instinct, don't seem to mind a bit)..

8704704572_6817880b68_z.jpg

• Advertisement

kowtow wrote: »

As you said you have hilly land. it looks like "a spare pair of jocks needed in the tractor cab" type of ground:D

As you said you have hilly land. it looks like "a spare pair of jocks needed in the tractor cab" type of ground:D

We think it's quite flat.

But then we did come here from the Alps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Fit to wean. Eating almost 2 kg Goldgrain nut 800gms milk replacer got them out to train to fence and will wean on Monday.
    Will keep on this paddock for 1 week to be sure all ok then they will move to heifer area to join other weaned calves.
    We moved earlycalved born Feb (weaned) calves there yesterday. I weighed in tractor trailer on way averaged 85kg. Cross breds mainly what do you think. They have 360 days till ai if they do .7/day they'll be fit. What do ye think?

They should be fine you'd have to imagine unless they get any kind of set back. As long as we get any kind of half decent year at all this summer

Ours got a really bad scour last year on the grass, no idea what caused it (lab tests couldn't find anything) which set them back a lot. That coupled with the dreadfull summer just gone and being out late this spring meant that we had to feed them a couple of kilos of nuts for a month outside - finished this week.

Bull off with a week so its in his hands now

Not often one sees dairy calves suckling but here's one of ours - this one is a February born bull, suckled his mother for a month and then orphaned, since then has been rougue-ing the others (who, being dairy cows with little ongoing mothering instinct, don't seem to mind a bit)..

we also have a few FR cows that we use as sucklers as we would often get extra calves and double suckle. have found that cows are more likely to take to calves with the same colouring as themsleves. that siad we have had a few "twins" that are inseprable in the field, often see one brown lmx and his adpoted fr brother following thier mammy around and roaring for each other when they're seprated.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    we also have a few FR cows that we use as sucklers as we would often get extra calves and double suckle. have found that cows are more likely to take to calves with the same colouring as themsleves. that siad we have had a few "twins" that are inseprable in the field, often see one brown lmx and his adpoted fr brother following thier mammy around and roaring for each other when they're seprated.

Any issues with re-breeding while they are suckling? or are they off them by then?

Timmaay wrote: »
    I wasn't much before ya, early oct,even with the relatively mild winter the field was very bare right through the last 6months, of course no growth with that spring we had, but its really rocketed up the last 2wks.

It has still worked out then. Given the weather you've probably missed out on 1 grazing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

028bo.jpg
    030ek.jpg026sfz.jpg

Why did you quote me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Why did you quote me?

Do you not remember asking me how the field was after we had about 5inches of rain- knowing that it wasn't sown

Do you not remember asking me how the field was after we had about 5inches of rain- knowing that it wasn't sown

Cos it seems stanflt didnt forget!

:eek: ;):D

Any issues with re-breeding while they are suckling? or are they off them by then?

re-breeding?????

if you mean heifer calves getting bulled then yes we do have to watch them. we note if any heifers come in season which they can from about 5-6 months. we seprate the bulls from the heifers at weaning and inject the older heifers in case they are in calf. havent seen a young bull calf bull a cow even though they'll try. usually the big bull will come over make sure he does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

No. There is life beyond the keyboard!!

The fields look fantastic after a bad winter and worse spring. Is there any of the old grass up?

Keep up the good work, but get yourself a bad memory. Enjoy the sun

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement