Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

yellow50HX wrote: »
    re-breeding?????

if you mean heifer calves getting bulled

Actually - I was thinking of any difficulties in the Dams re-breeding when they are still suckling calves. Obviously not a problem when Cows are being milked in the parlour, but a few people have mentioned that they might not settle with calves on them. Can't see why myself.. in any case we won't be rushing to bull this lot as they have a good deal of condition to make up after such a rocky start.

Good point about the heiffer / bull calves though.. these calves were all accidents, fathered by the tiniest screw of a bull I have ever seen when he was less than a year old. Maybe it was the hilly ground, or perhaps he has a stepladder..

The February calf in the picture would be nearly as tall now as his Father at the shoulder :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

kowtow wrote: »
    Actually - I was thinking of any difficulties in the Dams re-breeding when they are still suckling calves. Obviously not a problem when Cows are being milked in the parlour, but a few people have mentioned that they might not settle with calves on them. Can't see why myself.. in any case we won't be rushing to bull this lot as they have a good deal of condition to make up after such a rocky start.

Good point about the heiffer / bull calves though.. these calves were all accidents, fathered by the tiniest screw of a bull I have ever seen when he was less than a year old. Maybe it was the hilly ground, or perhaps he has a stepladder..

The February calf in the picture would be nearly as tall now as his Father at the shoulder :)

our cows are sucklers so yeah we need them back in calf. never had any problem with the FR's find them the same as the LM and AA cows. we keep them in the hope of getting heifer calfs for replacments. Are yours milking cows? would find it strange to have milkers suckling calves? That said my unlce and cousin bought a few fr cows a few years ago and buy calves for them, cows seem to take to calves no bother.

our cows are sucklers so yeah we need them back in calf. never had any problem with the FR's find them the same as the LM and AA cows. we keep them in the hope of getting heifer calfs for replacments. Are yours milking cows? would find it strange to have milkers suckling calves? That said my unlce and cousin bought a few fr cows a few years ago and buy calves for them, cows seem to take to calves no bother.

The idea is to milk in 2015, possibly a little earlier, for the moment they are rearing their own replacements while we decide what stays and what goes...

They won't be rearing whilst milking - although I think some of the Dutch have experimented with this...

The idea is to milk in 2015, possibly a little earlier, for the moment they are rearing their own replacements while we decide what stays and what goes...

They won't be rearing whilst milking - although I think some of the Dutch have experimented with this...

I get ya now. makes since. Might be worth your while to get a few other calves to put with them. A milking cow will raise 2 or 3 calves. if they take to the calves then you have extra scope. also the calfs drink enough to make sure her milk stays high. what we have noticed is the higher yeilding sucklers have too much milk and the calf ends up getting sick, hence we get a second calf.

I get ya now. makes since. Might be worth your while to get a few other calves to put with them. A milking cow will raise 2 or 3 calves. if they take to the calves then you have extra scope. also the calfs drink enough to make sure her milk stays high. what we have noticed is the higher yeilding sucklers have too much milk and the calf ends up getting sick, hence we get a second calf.

Yup - had been thinking of that. Lots of people warned me about too much milk from dairy cows but I can't say it's been a problem so far, possibly because of the shortage of grass and the condition these were in when they came in.

I wonder if we got a couple of sucks from a neighbour whether we'd be able to get them on to the Dams without too much trouble... we have only one left to calve of our own.

Yup - had been thinking of that. Lots of people warned me about too much milk from dairy cows but I can't say it's been a problem so far, possibly because of the shortage of grass and the condition these were in when they came in.

I wonder if we got a couple of sucks from a neighbour whether we'd be able to get them on to the Dams without too much trouble... we have only one left to calve of our own.

get a few AAX calves hardy as fcuk and you can sell them easier in the authunm, now that the grass is coming so will the milk and the calves will start to blow out of themsleves. its also good for the cow to get emptied. you'll need to get the calf to stay with one cow. we lock them into a lockable barrier and get them to drink with the cows calf until they they used to each other. the calves bond and the cows bonds too. otherwise the calf will wander between the cows and some will get drank more then others. Might be a bit too late this year but if you want to get the cows used to coming into the yard it might be an idea bring the cows in so that you can have calves milk them. takes a bit of time and patience but once they are used to each other you can let them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Cos it seems stanflt didnt forget!

:eek: ;):D

He should know by now that stanflt is never wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

stanflt wrote: »
    Do you not remember asking me how the field was after we had about 5inches of rain- knowing that it wasn't sown

Scary, I thought only women had a memory like that ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSYV9rWh0GA one go of this and any beast will be haltered trained

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

moy83 wrote: »
    Parthenaise ?

Ya, sorry forgot to put in text.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Ya, sorry forgot to put in text.

No bother , I have a good few parts out of black limo and aa cows now and Im very happy with them . They are hardy little divils too compared to blues out of the same cows . Little bit lively though :-)

No bother , I have a good few parts out of black limo and aa cows now and Im very happy with them . They are hardy little divils too compared to blues out of the same cows . Little bit lively though :-)

Yeah find them very hardy too, l know what you mean about being lively, I find they're grand after a while though. I have them out of aax and pix cows, off chx later in the year see how they turn out. How do they compare to blue on quality off the same cows?

Yeah find them very hardy too, l know what you mean about being lively, I find they're grand after a while though. I have them out of aax and pix cows, off chx later in the year see how they turn out. How do they compare to blue on quality off the same cows?

Well they are still black , which is easier to sell in the mart compared to a blue .
    I think they have a nice bit of muscle , but not as much as a blue but they are more consistant .
    I have blue and part weanlins in the shed of the same age now and id say the parts look better and will leave a little bit more after them

Well they are still black , which is easier to sell in the mart compared to a blue .
    I think they have a nice bit of muscle , but not as much as a blue but they are more consistant .
    I have blue and part weanlins in the shed of the same age now and id say the parts look better and will leave a little bit more after them
    How did the blues cross with your aa cows?

How did the blues cross with your aa cows?

Grand but id say you would want to be finishing them yourself . They look good as young calves but they seem to slacken off at a year old ( that could be my fault )
    Im not inclined to put nuts into cattle and IMV the blues need them after weaning
    , while the parts do ok without

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

are you using your own bull or AI id love to give my cows boldie but cant get my hands on some straws.

are you using your own bull or AI id love to give my cows boldie but cant get my hands on some straws.
    AI, that's actually the sire of those two calves now that you mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

just do it wrote: »
    Scary, I thought only women had a memory like that ;):D

Word of warning -You should not assume all posters here are women. A fella got a chin wag for less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Pio bull calf born last nite. calfed herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

A few of this years calves .

1. Belgian Blue BBQ heifer

2.Ch Crossmolina Euro heifer

3.Blonde Kilmoney Bruce heifer

4.Belgian Blue Canadian Club heifer

5.Belgian Blue Maserati bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Richk2012 wrote: »

Great cattle Rich

Great cattle Rich

+1

Love the stone walls too ;). How high are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Nice steady flow from the connacht agri pipes I put down a few weeks ago, mind you hardly surprising given the rain we had over the last week.

• Advertisement

+1

Love the stone walls too ;). How high are they?

Them ones in the picture around 6ft .
    But the wall at the top of that field is around 10ft high .
    Great men who built them

Richk2012 wrote: »

1. Belgian Blue BBQ heifer

2.Ch Crossmolina Euro heifer

3.Blonde Kilmoney Bruce heifer

4.Belgian Blue Canadian Club heifer

5.Belgian Blue Maserati bull

Great calves. Whats the dam of the blonde heifer and what's the plan for her. Great looking animal

Great calves. Whats the dam of the blonde heifer and what's the plan for her. Great looking animal

Belgian Blue 2nd calver .
    She is back in calf to Bruce again .
    That heifer will be sold around the end of sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

No doubt Rich, quality stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Grazed out?

• Advertisement

No all in since December

Milton09 wrote: »
    Nice steady flow from the connacht agri pipes I put down a few weeks ago, mind you hardly surprising given the rain we had over the last week.

Can you notice a difference in the land yet? I'd one corner of the silage field that I opened a trench to about 2 months ago and it's made a huge difference. Could travel into the headland last Monday spreading fertiliser leaving little marks behind. Probably would have got stuck in the same spot last year!

Picture of a new drain for pipe and stone. Peat on top 6-12 inches above clay. Perfect for conventional stone and piped drain. Where to put it was obvious, straight through the rushes!
    20130506170914.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

a few spring calves
    004um.jpg

a few autumn calving 2yo cleaning off ground for reseeding
    024tj.jpg

cows happy
    022kve.jpg

some strong grass

011pkb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Can you notice a difference in the land yet? I'd one corner of the silage field that I opened a trench to about 2 months ago and it's made a huge difference. Could travel into the headland last Monday spreading fertiliser leaving little marks behind. Probably would have got stuck in the same spot last year!

I think so, there seems to be less surface water at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

a few spring calves
    004um.jpg

024tj.jpg

cows happy
    022kve.jpg

some strong grass

011pkb.jpg

how much meal do you give the calves a head a day nd what protein in it

case 5150 wrote: »
    how much meal do you give the calves a head a day nd what protein in it

0.5kg 14%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

ilim13lot31rosh4110.jpg

ilim13rosh3704.jpg

ilim13rosh3708.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

!cid_cidImage_P__70A0.jpgnow my little bit done for some hungery cows down in dingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

Oh I live near dingle, how about that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

leg wax wrote: »
    !cid_cidImage_P__70A0.jpgnow my little bit done for some hungery cows down in dingle.

Haven't been in Dingle since I took an unplanned dive off Dun Shean head!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

some of our cows and limousine calves( 2 weeks old ) out a week we had a good year with the new bull ... sweating a bit a sit was his first season and did not know what to expect ... switched from a black last year .
    20130507192923.jpg
    20130507192918.jpg
    20130507192904.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

some of our cows and limousine calves( 2 weeks old ) out a week we had a good year with the new bull ... sweating a bit a sit was his first season and did not know what to expect ... switched from a black last year .2013-05-07 19.29.04.jpg

2013-05-07 19.29.18.jpg

2013-05-07 19.29.23.jpg

Them cows have no fodder crisis seen anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

Picture of a new drain for pipe and stone. Peat on top 6-12 inches above clay. Perfect for conventional stone and piped drain. Where to put it was obvious, straight through the rushes!
    20130506170914.jpg
    a few spring calves

cows happy

some strong grass

011pkb.jpg

Good man just do it keep up the good work, You'll soon have grass like Stan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Them cows have no fodder crisis seen anyway :D

:D no but still end up buying 40 round bales , and the ould fella horsing rolled oats into them like it was going out of fashion .. i dread what the meal bill will come to :o and to be honest no need for it as there were in great nick anyhow ..they are probably in too good of nick if that makes since ... we were just lucky the calves out of the new bull are born small otherwise i dread the outcome :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

some strong grass

011pkb.jpg

Your handy with that photoshop Stanflt

That can't be a real pic!!

kboc wrote: »
    Your handy with that photoshop Stanflt

That can't be a real pic!!

its not spent all day photoshopping inbetween servicing the jf900 silage harvester and kuhn mower- silage only 10 days away
    047nva.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

bull calf on left out of red whitehead LM X SH that took 299 days.. he developing well
    CBCD8870_zps87cfae0b.jpg

good end on him - will be three weeks this friday coming
    39556878_zps664012a8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

a Ardlea Dan ADX heifer calf came very bright colour usually she throws yellow to a lim bull

7C27E68F_zps9d4cd8fa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

its not spent all day photoshopping inbetween servicing the jf900 silage harvester and kuhn mower- silage only 10 days away

What height/covers are on the silage ground now? The reseeded silage ground by me has cone up very strong, maybe 2/3inchs below top of the welly (I wouldn't know what value of kg/ha to put on it 2bh), but another 15 acre field that is 20yrs old is well behind this, and it got similar slurry/fertilisers etc. We are 3wks away from cutting at the earliest I'd guess, depending on growth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement