Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

limo_100 wrote: »
    o jesus i think there 300kg ha. is that the weight you would have being hoping for or has the bad year affected them? when do you sell them as yearlings is it??

For this bunch we've been working towards 400kg at ~14 months. They were bought late last year as spring prices were too dear. They are out about 4 weeks now and were happy enough with their progress. Been hitting 0.8-0.9 kg a day weight gain since they were dropped. I think this is their potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Cloverfield Excellent (CXY), heifer calf. Three months to the day when picture taken. Off a Lim x Char cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

munkus wrote: »
    Goodman Red,

Always nice to put a face to the poster. Had you down as an auld lad too.

id say if everyone confirmed what age they were then there would be a lot of surprises,
    hey redzer it looks like its not the first time you had a sheep in that grip:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

ya should see redzer facebook page
    iv allways said it that people post to much info about them selves on the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

naughto wrote: »
    ya should see redzer facebook page
    iv allways said it that people post to much info about them selves on the net

Sure if someone knows you the know you and if they dont they dont, simple as that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

9mth old ardlea dan bull

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

9mth old ardlea dan bull

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

20130525124105.jpg

20130525124111.jpg
    one tagged for replacement heifer born feb out of FL22 out of the simmental cross cow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

weanlings.jpg

Let out this bunch of yearlings today. These are the first animals we've let out this 'spring', the first bunch last year went out on the 15 March!

How and ever, I'm delighted how well they have done over the winter since they were bought last November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

bought this lad today to tease cows, had the squeezers out to do him but he is a little smasher.. almost too good to squeeze 8 months old

mail_zps4b2d9874.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

ADX & STQ heifer calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Who said you can't get a good calf from an easy calving bull?
    Fl22 out of a REQ cow 8 months old

pakalasa wrote: »
    ADX & STQ heifer calves.

Is it? Could it be!!? The first pics from the Pakalasa ranch? :p
    lovely calves btw, great shape

Who said you can't get a good calf from an easy calving bull?
    Fl22 out of a REQ cow 8 months old

Ah now, there's quality for ya ;) Oh and grass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3k2ktEouqHo

There ya go.

What kind of grass was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

1chippy wrote: »
    I had pictured redzer as more of a short stocky, half balding farmer in me own head.

No that's bob you're thinking of

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah now, there's quality for ya ;) Oh and grass!
    plenty of vegetable matter but not all grass unfortunatly. Bloody buttercups!:mad:

plenty of vegetable matter but not all grass unfortunatly. Bloody buttercups!:mad:

Tell me about it. They are everywhere. Another legacy of 'summer' 2012 :rolleyes:

3 month old ADX calf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

3 month old ADX calf

Nice stock..
    And a seriously steep field :p

I dont know what the story is. Posting straight form my i-Phone

3 month old ADX calf

Lovely outfit there. What breeding are in your cows bogman?

Most of them are blues from the dairy heard that we held onto when we got out of milking. SRI and VAP being the two bulls.
    Either that or limos out of those cows. (REQs mainly)

Have a few Hereford heifers coming out of those cows that are looking promising. First one claving in september.

The blues have a lot going for them. They bring shape, have loads of milk and are quiet as lambs.
    If you are smart with your bull selection you end up with a good outfit IMO

The cow in that picture is an exceptionaly good cow. Excellent fertility, breeds the best calf every year, gallons of milk and a pure pet

Few lads off to the Mart this week, around 22 months. Normally would finish them on grass and lamp them off to the factory in August.

He's out of Bubba and Daisy :pac:

[IMG][/img]WP_000392_zps83796eb8.jpg

WP_000370_zps2daf05e5.jpg

They're sweet ones ;) You should do well with them. Where are you bringing them out?

• Advertisement

Cheers, Athenry I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

Few lads off to the Mart this week, around 22 months. Normally would finish them on grass and lamp them off to the factory in August.

He's out of Bubba and Daisy :pac:

[IMG][/img]WP_000392_zps83796eb8.jpg

WP_000370_zps2daf05e5.jpg
    Nice ones, what weights roughly, hard to gauge by a pic. How much would u b expecting?

adne wrote: »
    Nice ones, what weights roughly, hard to gauge by a pic. How much would u b expecting?

They're around 650 average. Would be looking for around 13-1400 each. Sold one a few of their sisters last week, one at 630 Kgs made €1600. SIM/LM mothers and a LM Bull. The SIM in the mother brings good frame and milk. They got 1 Kg of nuts over their first winter, nothing for the last 14 months only silage and grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

They're around 650 average. Would be looking for around 13-1400 each. Sold one a few of their sisters last week, one at 630 Kgs made €1600. SIM/LM mothers and a LM Bull. The SIM in the mother brings good frame and milk. They got 1 Kg of nuts over their first winter, nothing for the last 14 months only silage and grass.

Nice cattle. Didn't bring any bit of white face, from the simmental side.
    Iv'e a few simmental heifers from char X cows, kept back myself for breeding, but at 14 months old, I'm disapointed in their frame:confused:
    Big and growthy, but lacking in power so far. I'm hoping they devlop that aspect in their second year. Haven't reared simms before, so not sure of how they develop.

Iv'e a few simmental heifers from char X cows, kept back myself for breeding, but at 14 months old, I'm disapointed in their frame:confused:
    Big and growthy, but lacking in power so far. I'm hoping they devlop that aspect in their second year. Haven't reared simms before, so not sure of how they develop.

i had a sim x heifer that neighbours bull got his wicked way with, she was only 23 months calving down and very small, 2 years later she is a smashing powerful cow with a pot of milk to die for
    ps if ya dont want them heifers let me know:D, i think that is a great cross for a cow
    ps nice animals munkus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

image.jpg

This is probably the best cow we ever had at home. She is a Simmental bred out of a Frisian cow. The father bought her as a calf and bucket reared her. She calved down at 23 months after the neighbors bull paid a visit. She calved down with no problems and has had a calf every year since. Very easy cow to keep, she can't be more than 550kg but breeds super stock. The heifer to her left with the white mark on her face is a daughter of hers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭limo_100

J DEERE wrote: »
    image.jpg

This is probably the best cow we ever had at home. She is a Simmental bred out of a Frisian cow. The father bought her as a calf and bucket reared her. She calved down at 23 months after the neighbors bull paid a visit. She calved down with no problems and has had a calf every year since. Very easy cow to keep, she can't be more than 550kg but breeds super stock. The heifer to her left with the white mark on her face is a daughter of hers

shes a fair breeder alright. thats the way im doing it at the moment buying calves to make them into cows is that way you do it or was that a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

limo_100 wrote: »
    shes a fair breeder alright. thats the way im doing it at the moment buying calves to make them into cows is that way you do it or was that a once off

We bought a lot of calves in the year she was brought in. It's hit and miss to be honest but every now and then you'll come across a dinger. We have maybe 7 or 8 still at home from that bunch. If all our cows were like here we'd be happy men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Hold onto them. The Sim's bring an awful lot imo. They are usually very quiet and have plenty of milk and the Sim x offspring make great cows. I have a few of them. This one is a Charolais cow out of a Sim mother and her calf that was born on the 30th of march out of CF60.

255763.JPG

And this one is also out of CF60 born the 20th of March and her mother is LM x SIM
    255765.JPG

Wow! that first lad is a smasher!

J DEERE wrote: »
    We bought a lot of calves in the year she was brought in. It's hit and miss to be honest but every now and then you'll come across a dinger. We have maybe 7 or 8 still at home from that bunch. If all our cows were like here we'd be happy men

Had a discussion with the auld lad regarding this, whether to by replacements as weaning or heifer in calf. He thinks you'd be mad to buy the weanling as:

1 The Springer in going to drop a calf in the few weeks, that's a few hundred back already.
    2 You know she'll go in calf again.
    3 you're only paying a few hundred more anyway.

Bottom line is that you don't know how the weaning is going to develop or if she'll even go in calf.

towzer
    that first outfit is a super pair, that is my ideal suckler cow, great colouring for Charl bull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

limousins511.jpg

limousins503n.jpg

limousins438.jpg

limousins501.jpg

Ardlea Dan Pedigree heifer calf, 8 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

limousins524.jpg

limousins519.jpg

limousins521.jpg

Elite Erasmus pedigree heifer calf, nearly 4 months old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Neighbours mare went AWOL this morning so went out to help him walk the country as he's 79.

Couple hours fruitless searching and then after scrambling through this 'lane'
    laneg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I found her.....plus a surprise:D:D:D:D
    Didn't want to go any closer so sorry about the crappy pic.
    marei.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

Not being a horsey person, all I was thinking about was that I'd love to get in there and attack that lane with the chain saw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Not being a horsey person, all I was thinking about was that I'd love to get in there and attack that lane with the chain saw! :D

It's disused now, used to lead onto further land of ours but now we just go through our neighbour's field. And then a further field has trees planted for the scheme. But if you want to come clear it, feel free.

*Mud may be 1 foot deep in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I found her.....plus a surprise:D:D:D:D
    Didn't want to go any closer so sorry about the crappy pic.

Super pic, both so relaxed looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

20130529_124646.jpg

Man heading off to spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

20130529_124646.jpg

Man heading off to spray

I tak it its not a 2 acre field of rushes hes going doing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

20130515_120838.jpg

20130515_120844.jpg

Nope prob a bit moe than two acres alright!
    One of the drill my company builds getting ready to head to the fields.
    Sowing is just over half way here.
    Delayed by nearly three weeks due to appalling weather
    Have seen one combine out 2 weeks ago lifting wheat that wasn't got last fall.
    Serious dust off it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

So I needed to get the car washed earlier in the week and pulled into a garage with this sign: 20130530183437.jpg

I waited a while and when there was no sign of anyone coming I went into the garage. I asked for a car wash and was about to pay when the guy said you know it is a self attended car wash! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Theres a horse in the picture ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

20130529_124646.jpg

Man heading off to spray

Thought that was another of Stans fields at first look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

I tak it its not a 2 acre field of rushes hes going doing :D

I wonder, will she go through an 8 foot gate? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement