Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Damo810 wrote: »
    I wonder, will she go through an 8 foot gate? :D

No bother to her but you would looking for a new gate and maybe post afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

2" limestone arriving to fill tile drains.
    20130531135955.jpg
    Laying a few inches along the bottom. 20130531140253.jpg
    4" corrie pipe will go on top of this and then fill the drains with stone. You can see the soil structure is a few inches of peat on top of impermeable grey clay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well God bless the work. I hope all goes well. It should help dry thing s up. How big of an area are you draining JUst do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Fleet of 165's and 135's drawing there - I hope you weren't shovelling all that in too!

Fine job there, looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

perfect weather for work like that, warm, not hot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://youtu.be/pMK3O00Fyo0

Mini Hay Baler..
    Just got sent this link... Handy, but I'd say it would get tiresome.

Muckit wrote: »
    Well God bless the work. I hope all goes well. It should help dry thing s up. How big of an area are you draining JUst do it?

Nothing major Muckit, 3 acres. Was completely overgrown 5yrs ago. A few goes with the topper revealed a natural kind of hump and hollow with 2 hollows leading directly to a trench. Wasn't grazed hardly since last july due to being so wet. I remember hay being saved here as a kid so looking forward to getting it back into that condition.

nashmach wrote: »
    Fleet of 165's and 135's drawing there - I hope you weren't shovelling all that in too!

Fine job there, looks

Jeez you know your tractors! Took all day to shovel in stone for under the pipe so I don't think the rest will be done in the same fashion! Laid the pipe today as well so ready for back fill now.

Glad I did it though, was muddy in spots and pipes could have got blocked quick enough without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9485/imag0593sg.jpg neighbours bull beat the AI man to the job!! A January calf out of pb Angus cow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Heading home

delaval wrote: »
    Heading home

Holy f**K.... how many are you milking?!?!:eek:

Holy f**K.... how many are you milking?!?!:eek:
    I think there's about 80 there:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr. Sh1te

just do it wrote: »
    20130531135955.jpg
    4" corrie pipe will go on top of this and then fill the drains with stone. You can see the soil structure is a few inches of peat on top of impermeable grey clay.

Just do it,

what do you do with the 'muck' that's dug up from digging the drain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Just do it would you chance a couple of them without a pipe as an experiment.

I done plenty of it without pipes and it was a success.
    Make sure you bring the stone up to top of the impermeable clay.

That will make the best of land good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Dr. Sh1te wrote: »
    Dr. Sh1te. Great username.
    So you've a PhD in Sh1teology.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just do it,

Apt username for that question!

20130531135955.jpg
    What's that implement in your hand?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Dr. Sh1te. Great username.
    So you've a PhD in Sh1teology.:rolleyes:

Plenty of lads with that qualification!

Just do it,

Sell it on ebay;)

Seriously, track machine will level it and it grass will grow up through it.

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    Just do it would you chance a couple of them without a pipe as an experiment.

I done plenty of it without pipes and it was a success.
    Make sure you bring the stone up to top of the impermeable clay.

That will make the best of land good luck with it.
    No way! I don't want to ever have to go at it again! I went with the corri pipe to ensure it will be a permanent job. The slope isn't great so at points it will only be 18" below the surface. Also the main tile drain is way too long to chance not having a pipe in it.

I was going to bring the stone quite close to the top as the soil from the drains is peat and I don't really want to put on top of the limestone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Heading home
    thats like something outa a david attenborough documentary - "The migration of delavals milkers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I left work early to try and get more of my sheep yard finished, havent got near it in months. Hopefully tomorrow will have all barriers hung on the strainers with two more strainers to concrete in. Couple of walls to build along the side of the dipper and hang the gate on the footbath and hopefully ready for dipping soon. Don't look too close at the plastering.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I left work early to try and get more of my sheep yard finished, havent got near it in months. Hopefully tomorrow will have all barriers hung on the strainers with two more strainers to concrete in. Couple of walls to build along the side of the dipper and hang the gate on the footbath and hopefully ready for dipping soon. Don't look too close at the plastering.:eek:

fine looking set up there, should make handling very easy on man and beast

Now lads and lassies, are ye ready for a barrage of photos?:D A lot of chopping and changing below so I hope they match up with the descriptions.

After much thought and waiting on suitable weather I've linked up my grazing paddocks with a new 100m roadway crossing a bog section of land.

Photo 1 - Before, looking back towards the shed. It doesn't look too bad but a herd of dung beetles would poach this if they got the chance! I've pretty much kept cattle off it since last summer in order to keep the top surface intact for this job.
    20130601183411.jpg

Photo 2 - There's an open trench either side and this is preparing the first one. It's at an angle so a lot more fill was put in than necessary to allow the tractor and dump trailer reverse in a relatively straight line
    20130601191652.jpg

Photo 3 - Crossing made and start of road. First load of spoil on terram.
    20130601185531.jpg

Photo 4 - From the other side. Got lucky with the terram. The Department of Communications public viewer was measuring the distance between the two crossings at 98m. The 100m literally rolled out just to the lip of the trench!
    20130601185746.jpg

Photo 5 - A panoramic view showing the pit where the spoil is coming from only 50m away from the first crossing and start of road (how lucky is that?!), the roadway in construction and the shed in the distance.
    20130601184351.jpg

Photo 6 - View from hill where spoil was taken showing tractor and dump trailer reversing down. Some tidy driving and machine work made this possible.
    20130601185651.jpg

Photo 7 - Spreading the spoil and levelling the road.
    20130601185842.jpg

Photo 8 - A young boys dream, he'd a grin on him from ear to ear :D
    20130601185103.jpg

Photo 9 - End result
    20130601183639.jpg

Photo 10 - And from the other side
    20130601184140.jpg

Photo 11 - This is the first crossing after it was tidied up. It has a 9" corripipe at the bottom. Because the trench is wide and 6-7' deep it needed a steep bank to allow for a decent width of a roadway on top. My man used 'scraws' to build up the side and did a very tasty job.
    20130601185252.jpg

Photo 12 - Same crossing from on top showing how steep the bank is. It's not far off vertical!
    20130601185324.jpg

Photo 13 - The crossing at the other end which is just as deep and wide, if not deeper! Machinery will have a straight run over this crossing so could afford to have a less steep bank and lose a bit of the width on top. For all that it's still not far off vertical.
    20130601185955.jpg

I know nothing about sheep but that looks like a well thought out set up. Was it built from scratch?

Great work Just do it! ;) It should be a great management tool for you, all going well. It might seem OTT having a roadway when in sucklers and Ai'ing while they are in the shed, but it will be handy to
    • Stand them off in heavy rain
    • Drive them back to the shed for the night if needs be
    • Bring them in for testing/dosing etc
    • move them to paddocks that are out of rotation (if you are skipping paddocks)
    Often toyed with the idea myself, but if I was doing it I would like to have my cake and eat it... ie the roadway to be solid, but also growing grass on the top of it! I see one lad near here that has a laneway I suppose you would call it, more than a roadway. He pulls out 2 or 3 bullocks and they graze the run every so often. Still a one man job to bring in a group of cattle, with no ground taken out of grass.

Great work Just do it! ;) It should be a great management tool for you, all going well. It might seem OTT having a roadway when in sucklers and Ai'ing while they are in the shed, but it will be handy to
    • Stand them off in heavy rain
    • Drive them back to the shed for the night if needs be
    • Bring them in for testing/dosing etc
    • move them to paddocks that are out of rotation (if you are skipping paddocks)
    Often toyed with the idea myself, but if I was doing it I would like to have my cake and eat it... ie the roadway to be solid, but also growing grass on the top of it! I see one lad near here that has a laneway I suppose you would call it, more than a roadway. He pulls out 2 or 3 bullocks and they graze the run every so often. Still a one man job to bring in a group of cattle, with no ground taken out of grass.
    There are a few more drivers:
    • I hope in a normal Spring to have them out as early as possible so repeaters will be brought back to yard for AI.
    • All paddocks now lead onto a decent roadway (grass in some sections) allowing better utilisation in poor weather. Out by day has worked well for me.
    • Can now get slurry and fertiliser to all the farm without having loads of hassle (hassle = job doesn't get done around here!)
    • This roadway opens up regular access to 55% of the grazing block of the farm
    • Better quality grass and a few days extra grazing each year will pay for it in no time
    • As the spoil was close at hand it didn't cost as much as you'd think. Digger man has another day's work for me on Tuesday so when we tot up at the end I'll have an exact figure
    • Tried to get away with a grass roadway which ran across similar ground close to this but it went to absolute s**t. The heavier cows or in-calf cows would sink right down to their bellies and no way could you cross with machinery
    • This cost ~€1,000. Better in a roadway than concrete in a slurry storage tank;)

Every lad knows his own ground best. I have little doubt that that roadway will pay for itself by the end of the summer ;) I am possibly looking at things arseways. If you are able to utilise the rest of your ground better, it is not 'lost' ground.

From my own situation only having a few acres, I am conscious of making the best use of it all. Even building a house on the farm is out because it will take a half an acre on me!! :D

I was reading in the IFJ that that Niall Canning who breeds SUPER charolais cattle, especially some lovely heifers, only farms 20 acres, and 5 of that are rented. Inspiring stuff!

• Advertisement

Every lad knows his own ground best. I have little doubt that that roadway will pay for itself by the end of the summer ;) I am possibly looking at things arseways. If you are able to utilise the rest of your ground better, it is not 'lost' ground.

From my own situation only having a few acres, I am conscious of making the best use of it all. Even building a house on the farm is out because it will take a half an acre on me!! :D

I was reading in the IFJ that that Niall Canning who breeds SUPER charolais cattle, especially some lovely heifers, only farms 20 acres, and 5 of that are rented. Inspiring stuff!
    Yeah I know. You'd swear reading my posts that I've an extensive ranch;). But still I've watched the place deteriorate while it was leased out and always wanted to get it up to its max potential. Getting there slowly but surely and ultimately starting to treat it more and more like a business. My goal all along is that the farm would cover a future mortgage and that is still the aim. Now to get the banks back lending, that is a bigger challenge:rolleyes:

Anyway, one thing is for sure and certain. We've similar enough set-ups and we're knocking enjoyment out of it (even if that is only on boards.ie:D)

What's that implement in your hand?
    A smartphone;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Great job jd, I passed that way earlier today and seen the hitachi skewing away.

Great job jd, I passed that way earlier today and seen the hitachi skewing away.

It seems to be a contagious thing. That was a different machine on a different farm!

Just do it,
    Super looking job. i recon every meter of road is more valuable than a sqm of roof and that's on the best of ground. You will not believe the flexibility this will give you.

I think you said that you have an off farm job, and if so how important was this in the financing of the project?

I don't know where you are based but if i was ever passing I'd love to call and pat you on the back for your pioneering spirit. I have been following your posts with interest esp. in grass measuring and i think you could change your username to 'Just got it'

Best of luck keep up the good work, your neighbours will think your mad but that is an indication that you are doing things right!!

A Tip

Get track machine to push down fence posts before he leaves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

A Tip

we got him to do that last year, only takes a few minutes, great job

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

A Tip

When you are doing that have a pig tail post or a something similar,so you will have them all at the same height and it will look more professional.Would like to be here on farm forum more often ,have learnt a lot from ye all,but a close neighbour is having a difficult time for these last few months and trying to help as much as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

hoseman wrote: »
    When you are doing that have a pig tail post or a something similar,so you will have them all at the same height and it will look more professional.Would like to be here on farm forum more often ,have learnt a lot from ye all,but a close neighbour is having a difficult time for these last few months and trying to help as much as I can.

Fair dues to you!!

Best of luck keep up the good work, your neighbours will think your mad but that is an indication that you are doing things right!!

Yes when everyone is running in one direction you should be walking slowly the opposite way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Yes when everyone is running in one direction you should be walking slowly the opposite way ;)

Except if your doing a marathon then it means you end up back at the car,

• Advertisement

A Tip

A great tip! That track machine has driven the majority of posts in the place already. Especially handy for strainers. I wasn't around the last day he was here when he fixed up the crossings and he was I'm a rush away. He's coming back on Tuesday and I'll have plenty posts for him to drive then ;)

hoseman wrote: »

Good idea with the pigtail for height. I like attention to detail like that (anal comes to mind :rolleyes:).

Fair deuce to you helping out your neighbour. I think we all like to think we would do it but in reality few of us would give up as much time as it sounds you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Did you strip the topsoil first just do it or did you lay the stuff straight on the field?

J DEERE wrote: »
    Did you strip the topsoil first just do it or did you lay the stuff straight on the field?
    Straight on. It was bog ground with varying depth of peat.

Spotted this lad on my travels on Saturday. He was driving up and reversing down this steep hill spreading a bit of fertiliser. The front wheels were bouncing up and down!
    20130603084915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Spotted this lad on my travels on Saturday. He was driving up and reversing down this steep hill spreading a bit of fertiliser. The front wheels were bouncing up and down!
    20130603084915.jpg

Nothing like a good hill to test u out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=llnK5v4Ipb8&video_referrer=watch&ns=1 the last bunch that went away on hols to italy last friday.

I can't seem to open that link legs :mad: I'd say they're smashers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I can't seem to open that link legs :mad: I'd say they're smashers

Me either, I thought it was just my laptop but I think you posted your upload link rather than the posted video. Put up the right one so we can all be jealous;)

Nothing like a good hill to test u out!!

He should have been doing it the other way around... driving down and reversing up, very dangerous what he was at, prob a young lad, he'I learn

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement