Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    Redz

You've an eye for stock in fairness to you. Some quality calves that lowland farmers would be proud of. How're the heifers you bought for breeding working out? I take it some of them were calving this Spring?

They worked out ok but to be honest not as well as the ones we bred ourselves, One of them went late calving in me, then another ones calf got every ailment under the sun and the day I tagged her she had one of the tags pulled off and her ear split within 2 minutes, she bled when I dehorned her too :rolleyes: Small things maybe but there was noticeably less trouble with our own. Have 2 of our own left to calve all the time which we let off with the bull late last year, sorry now i didnt keep the over because they are as fat as snails at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I hope delaval doesn't see these pics reilig, he'll drop dead looking at the height of the grass! You should have baled that paddock:D

Given prices at the minute good decision to fatten the lesser one. Have they tried to break back into any bullying cows?

Some of the pasture fields are too poached to cut and bale. They were only dry enough to travel on 10 days ago. Have to eat them off before I can roll them. Have other pasture ready for baleing in the coming days. It's amazing, i said it earlier in the year, my fields that were really badly poached last year really took off with grass growth this year - many I havent even put fertilizer on yet (I will after the first grazing). The poaching and the flooding must have aerated them a little bit!

I'm only keeping the second bull for company for the first one. They are quite and haven't tried to break back - although they're behind a good fence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    It's amazing, i said it earlier in the year, my fields that were really badly poached last year really took off with grass growth this year - many I havent even put fertilizer on yet (I will after the first grazing). The poaching and the flooding must have aerated them a little bit!

I noticed that too. Still wondering how I'm going to sort out one badly rutted part of one field in particular. Now if only the oul lad hadn't sent our old triple K harrow to Hammond Lane! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

They worked out ok but to be honest not as well as the ones we bred ourselves, One of them went late calving in me, then another ones calf got every ailment under the sun and the day I tagged her she had one of the tags pulled off and her ear split within 2 minutes, she bled when I dehorned her too :rolleyes: Small things maybe but there was noticeably less trouble with our own. Have 2 of our own left to calve all the time which we let off with the bull late last year, sorry now i didnt keep the over because they are as fat as snails at the moment.

Yeah I've had poor luck with cows I've bought in with probably only ~50% of them remaining in the herd. From next year I'll have decent numbers so, fingers crossed, no need to buy in stock.

reilig wrote: »
    Some of the pasture fields are too poached to cut and bale. They were only dry enough to travel on 10 days ago. Have to eat them off before I can roll them. Have other pasture ready for baleing in the coming days. It's amazing, i said it earlier in the year, my fields that were really badly poached last year really took off with grass growth this year - many I havent even put fertilizer on yet (I will after the first grazing). The poaching and the flooding must have aerated them a little bit!

That's gas isn't it. My experience is rushes have taken off anywhere that got poached, even in normally dry ground. Have you done much with the ring roller yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

That's gas isn't it. My experience is rushes have taken off anywhere that got poached, even in normally dry ground. Have you done much with the ring roller yet?

Quite a bit done with it actually. And a neighbour has used it quite a bit too.
    I can quite possibly say that it was one of the best investments for the money ever. It does a great job on poached ground if you can get out on it before it dries too much. It doesn't seal the surface like an ordinary roller.
    Can't recommend it highly enough for the type of ground that we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

That's my situation. If it got poached, it's a blaze of rushes.
    Sprayed two acre plot today for rushes. Intending to graze bare next week. Mow remaining rush tufts, and go over hard and often with chain harrow. Keeping a bit of weight on the chain.
    Then couple of bags of 10:10:20 to acre.
    Spray regrowth of rushes, because I'm sure they will come again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

That's my situation. If it got poached, it's a blaze of rushes.
    Sprayed two acre plot today for rushes. Intending to graze bare next week. Mow remaining rush tufts, and go over hard and often with chain harrow. Keeping a bit of weight on the chain.
    Then couple of bags of 10:10:20 to acre.
    Spray regrowth of rushes, because I'm sure they will come again.

i cut them, subsoiled, fertilized (2 bags 18-6-12 & 1 bag can per acre), sprayed the regrowth with mortone, and waiting to take cut silage off it, then spray any bastards that reappear and if that dont kill them i dont know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

20130606224135.jpg

2013 hay in shed nice and save :D ... some drips off the forehead this evening while loading and unloading :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

waits for some one to spot some thing in the photo and comment on it
    its in us all to have a look what the other man/woman has in his shed.
    handy trailer u have sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

24AEC52E_zps16353463.jpg

havent posted a pic in ages... if only a man could breed 20/30 of this quality each year

Bodacious wrote: »
    24AEC52E_zps16353463.jpg

havent posted a pic in ages... if only a man could breed 20/30 of this quality each year
    And looking at the way he's posed, he knows it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

24AEC52E_zps16353463.jpg

That is some serious animal you've got there. That is a case for cloning if there ever was one....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

naughto wrote: »
    waits for some one to spot some thing in the photo and comment on it
    its in us all to have a look what the other man/woman has in his shed.
    handy trailer u have sir

Goes back for a second look;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

24AEC52E_zps16353463.jpg

serious calf
    nice red white head cow top of the right too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Lovely calf Bodacious. I've only started using LGL this year so hopefully they turn out like your fella. I'd settle for 25 like him ..... wouldn't want to be to greedy:D

2013 hay in shed nice and save :D ... some drips off the forehead this evening while loading and unloading :)

Looks lovely stuff and a grand low trailer to be loading ;) How many were you bringing 60?

It looks great feeding value. Did you stack them in the shed loose? I hope the neighbours aren't wondering is there a new pope being elected in your yard this morning.... any white smoke?!?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

24AEC52E_zps16353463.jpg

Got a cracker too from lgl, must post a pic... Find him nervous though and the mother is quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Muckit wrote: »
    Looks lovely stuff and a grand low trailer to be loading ;) How many were you bringing 60?

It looks great feeding value. Did you stack them in the shed loose? I hope the neighbours aren't wondering is there a new pope being elected in your yard this morning.... any white smoke?!?! :P

Lovely shade of curry green. Let's hope it isn't as hot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bodacious,
    I've a LGL calf aswell. He looks just like your fella, maybe not as muscular though. Mine is out of a very plain black limousin cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

LG. . . .Lifes Good today. . . ;)

257419.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Flat out three in convoy on road this evening

Muckit wrote: »

cheers muckit , brought 2 loads of 100 (3 lines over ladder rack) and one load of 50 .
    ya i stacked them loose for sure ... a Fellow in the next village lost a shed and 2000 bales of hay a month ago where they reckon it self ignited and i would not mind it was last years hay , he had only moved some of it from another shed he needed for cows the week before .:(
    no pope elected yet thanks be to God .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

jobs not to be at in 27c heat, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Fine calf with that cow in the backround

• Advertisement

Ya tractor cabs would need air con this weather bob. What's the other stuff piled against the wall behind trailer of bales in other photo?? Is that it being put in with loader? Do you use soyabean as a protein source?

moy83 wrote: »

Yes I had him spotted. Some calf... and he a Hereford?! he's very well made

Just looked again, he prob a Simmental bull calf

one of our many unplanned pregnancies, hereford bull, will grab a picture as he is a nice old style animal, 25% success rate this year with heifers calving and cows :(, its shameful, and really annoys the crap out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

one of our many unplanned pregnancies, hereford bull, will grab a picture as he is a nice old style animal, 25% success rate this year with heifers calving and cows :(, its shameful, and really annoys the crap out of me
    At least that one will leave a few pound , he is pure beef man .
    When you are buying heifers that are in calf is there any profit in making up a group of them and finishing them as their calves are fit for weaning and then selling / or finishing the offspring ?
    I was thinkin of trying it out with a few to see what its like

At least that one will leave a few pound , he is pure beef man .
    When you are buying heifers that are in calf is there any profit in making up a group of them and finishing them as their calves are fit for weaning and then selling / or finishing the offspring ?
    I was thinkin of trying it out with a few to see what its like

all the heifers are bought not incalf these are the ones that are the immaculate conception.:mad::mad:, if everything went right they would be okay but from a finishing point of view if you were getting one live calf from every 2 heifers calved you would be doing exceptionally well unfortunately this isn't the case and I think we lost 2 or 3 heifers this year (1 section and heifer died 10hrs later even though we taught it was done perfectly) and another found dead who was due to calve. I would be much happier if they were never incalf as they cost us allot of money, as the heifer is now a cow and would have to be kept for 6 - 9 months longer than planned

• Advertisement

all the heifers are bought not incalf these are the ones that are the immaculate conception.:mad::mad:, if everything went right they would be okay but from a finishing point of view if you were getting one live calf from every 2 heifers calved you would be doing exceptionally well unfortunately this isn't the case and I think we lost 2 or 3 heifers this year (1 section and heifer died 10hrs later even though we taught it was done perfectly) and another found dead who was due to calve. I would be much happier if they were never incalf as they cost us allot of money, as the heifer is now a cow and would have to be kept for 6 - 9 months longer than planned
    Sorry moy could you not put them back on previous owner if not declared in calf ....... and your entitled to be reinburst for feed costs over winter if bought through mart ...... we did last year and good job they sectioned her a month later with Bob calf

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

A field that was reclaimed a number of years ago.Father always sais nothing could be done with it.Took a couple of years with track machine and dozer.First time in three years I could top it in one go,pity I do not have before pictures,First time to upload picture.

fertiliser spread on same field

he all have fine tractors we have a ford 1600 thers no need for air con as it took off down a hill on its own rooled a few times and then hit a wall.no one hurt thank f1uck,it landed the right way up we turned the key on her and away she went,its burning oil like theres not tomorro since but its still going:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

Some pics of a bit of haymaking and silage wrapping from this weekend. First time since 2006 that we got round bales of hay.

ABlur wrote: »
    Some pics of a bit of haymaking and silage wrapping from this weekend. First time since 2006 that we got round bales of hay.
    i may have made that machale bailer as i used to work for them a good few yrs back.i used to allways check the one that where doing ours to see if i did and then hope to god it dident break down or i would have never heard the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

why dont you sell them as cows with calf at foot??

limo_100 wrote: »
    why dont you sell them as cows with calf at foot??

because most of them have dead calves at foot:( and usually the herd is restricted with TB so animals can be returned to previous owners.

because most of them have dead calves at foot:( and usually the herd is restricted with TB so animals can be returned to previous owners.
    Finishing cattle, continuing to buy heifers despite years of them turning up in calf, restricted with TB, too high a SR leading to housing during the time of year with maximum growth rate - BC, you may need to reappraise your business model?!

Finishing cattle, continuing to buy heifers despite years of them turning up in calf, restricted with TB, too high a SR leading to housing during the time of year with maximum growth rate - BC, you may need to reappraise your business model?!

its very hard to make a blind man see:cool:, I will take exception to saying that there is maximum grass growth as at the moment it pathetic. I was looking at spring wheat last evening that has gone backwards over the last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

hoseman wrote: »
    A field that was reclaimed a number of years ago.Father always sais nothing could be done with it.Took a couple of years with track machine and dozer.First time in three years I could top it in one go,pity I do not have before pictures,First time to upload picture.

Beautiful field. When you say reclaimed, I take it that it was wet? Cant see a stone for miles in either picture :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Well.......F*CK.:mad::o:mad:

sprayer.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bar is bent due to short cut btw :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Kovu Murr wrote: »

sprayer.jpg

Quadboys golden opportunity :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

sprayer.jpg

What am I missing thats wrong in that pic :confused:

munkus wrote: »
    Beautiful field. When you say reclaimed, I take it that it was wet? Cant see a stone for miles in either picture :confused:
    Sorry when I say reclaimed ,it was all Humps and hollows if you drove in to them it would have broken every type of machine.It was coverd in whitethorn bushes,flaggers, and rush.The driver of the bulldozer heaped the top soil,leveled the subsoil and put back the top soil then.3 wks to do approx. 4 acres.Will need about 3 drains that is the next job to do on it.

What am I missing thats wrong in that pic :confused:
    Bent the bar by taking a gap too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

sprayer.jpg

Would i be right in presuming thats a weedlicker and do you find them any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

1chippy wrote: »
    Would i be right in presuming thats a weedlicker and do you find them any good.
    never heard much about weedlickers up around here either:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

sprayer.jpg

Don't be too stressed.
    Now it's an offset weedlicker.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Don't be too stressed.
    Now it's an offset weedlicker.

Ha, not much use with our fields, will straighten it in the morning.
    Chippy it's a bit of a c*nt is what it is, it does rushes for us does the job great. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement