Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There's one for the IFJ calendar! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Putting the finishing touches to the new bale pad/roadway. Will store silage bales on this for the winter and then use as a road for exiting the meadow field above in the spring when spreading slurry.

Base layer of rough gravel and daub, blinded off with fine sand.
    Not solid enough to drive much on now but this time next year it will be like concrete.
    Only cost was our own time and diesel as the materials were all river spoil
    left behind after the OPW cleaned the river 50 years ago :-)

tsud.jpg
    vlgq.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 orchardfarmer

just do it wrote: »
    Orchardfarmer.
    No doubt great to see the improvement after all the work. What kind of soil structure was it?
    soil structure is completely different at either side of the field. the near side had a nice coarse well draining sub soil, solved the drainage problem fairly handy. it was the very far side of the field (as you look at the photo) that was the main problem. soil structure very poor, thin layer of topsoil on top of blue gley and then a layer of pure rock. the rock meant i could not put in deep drains to lower the water table, had to work with shallow shores instead. i have me own digger so i also stripped the top soil off, increased the fall into the drain and then put the topsoil back over. i had some spare topsoil from another job so i also put it on top. its a bit soft yet but im guessing it will take a few months to tighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

yea shes in good order, the wet weather meant it was pure hardship getting the drains backfilled, but it was well worth it now!!
    did you spread a bit of seed after the disc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

Bodacious wrote: »
    50ACC6E7_zpsff2e794c.jpg

picture postcard stuff.... make a nice framed pic imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 orchardfarmer

did you spread a bit of seed after the disc?
    not yet - as i said i put new topsoil on half it, some of which was a 5 year old dung heap which had rotted down nice but would still be full of weed seeds! sitting tight now waiting for the weeds to sprout and then going to hit them with roundup and then sew some seed. takes a bit of patience but ive been working at it 14 months now, another 2 weeks wont make much difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Milton09 wrote: »
    Putting the finishing touches to the new bale pad/roadway. Will store silage bales on this for the winter and then use as a road for exiting the meadow field above in the spring when spreading slurry.

Not solid enough to drive much on now but this time next year it will be like concrete.

tsud.jpg
    vlgq.jpg

Smashing looking job. Ye took ye're time deciding what to doo with the spoil! :D

Smashing looking job. Ye took ye're time deciding what to doo with the spoil! :D

Cheers, we were never known to rush into things :)

Ah no, this is on a few acres that I bought about 3 years ago, left neglected for years I'm still trying to get on top of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Set up a few paddocks in a 20 acre field today, going to turn 20 cows and calves into it in the morning. First time ever grazing paddocks here so will be interesting to see how it works. Grass is getting a bit strong so will probably cut half of it in a few weeks time. Left the paddocks about an acre in size.

photo_zpsf24fe2c1.jpg

A few nice bits of ass from the highland show :D

photo_zps7c67d1dc.jpg

photo_zps7234807e.jpg

photo_zps8b1051c5.jpg

photo_zpsdd34f5cd.jpg

photo_zpsdc541cfa.jpg

• Advertisement

Milton09 wrote: »

tsud.jpg
    vlgq.jpg

Could you not just have used the road to the left?! :confused::pac:

Set up a few paddocks in a 20 acre field today, going to turn 20 cows and calves into it in the morning. First time ever grazing paddocks here so will be interesting to see how it works. Grass is getting a bit strong so will probably cut half of it in a few weeks time. Left the paddocks about an acre in size.
    Takes a bit of getting used to but you won't look back. I hope your cows and calves have seen twine fencing before, nothing worse than when they take off on a blind run when turned into a new field and take all in front of them!
    A few nice bits of ass from the highland show :D
    What the heifer in the second last photo? The poor auld herefords are shown up as flat arses!

Takes a bit of getting used to but you won't look back. I hope your cows and calves have seen twine fencing before, nothing worse than when they take off on a blind run when turned into a new field and take all in front of them!

What the heifer in the second last photo? The poor auld herefords are shown up as flat arses!
    . They are chalk and cheese but your not going to find a double muscled whitehead, she would make a fine cow for me anyway :D The cows are hungry this evening so I dont think they will do a whole lot of running and just get straight down to business.....hopefully!!

A few calves born Jan/Feb this year. SIM by APZ and CH by gene ireland bull DZP.
    gtbm.jpg

75s2.jpg

4wnp.jpg

2aeg.jpg

c3gs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A few calves born Jan/Feb this year. SIM by APZ and CH by gene ireland bull DZP.

Look at you! Grazing your aftergrass and us not even cut anything yet:o

Afergrass? That's just the headlands! I hope those photos were taken 2weeks ago!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Afergrass? That's just the headlands! I hope those photos were taken 2weeks ago!

GAH! That's what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Love the CH? heifer, with the bit of white on her head, in the 2nd last pic. Must have some milk in her background? One for the bull?

Seaba wrote: »
    Love the CH? heifer, with the bit of white on her head, in the 2nd last pic. Must have some milk in her background? One for the bull?
    Yup her cow's a SIM with plenty milk so she's a keeper. DZP, whilst not great for milk, is 3.5 stars within breed so that should be enough. In time she should produce a good calf to a terminal bull.

I've 3 shorthorn heifers off maiden heifers that are very plain in comparison to these ones. However they may just turn out to the best of cows yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Spotted that girl me self

Yup her cow's a SIM with plenty milk so she's a keeper. DZP, whilst not great for milk, is 3.5 stars within breed so that should be enough. In time she should produce a good calf to a terminal bull.

I've 3 shorthorn heifers off maiden heifers that are very plain in comparison to these ones. However they may just turn out to the best of cows yet!

What is shorthorn cross

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »
    What is shorthorn cross

I used LYJ on the heifers. They've a lot of LM in them so I felt a shorthorn cross was a good option for first calving. I'll stick up some pics at some stage.

This lady will test the value of the icbf ratings. She has a maternal value of €229 and is due to calf in Sept to HCA. She's by the BB ELZ out of the SIM cow that produced the bull calf in the last picture above.
    ryem.jpg
    yllo.jpg

Muckit wrote: »
    Could you not just have used the road to the left?! :confused::pac:

I dont think the neighbours would appreciate being locked in for a few months until I used all the bales :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

2aeg.jpg

c3gs.jpg

So are these 2 by APZ? Nice cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

It's great to see these pictures of calves, etc, which give the sire name. Gives a fella an idea of what to expect from AI bulls.

Often think, it's a shame more of this information, is not available at mart sales.
    Particularly at weanling sales, it would be great to see the name or code of the bull, up there along with the other data, such as DOB, weight, owner etc,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    what breeding is your bull Reilig,seems to be breeding super stuff,AI standard

He was an embryo sired by a french bull called Leader and off a show winning French cow. Bred by a sligo CH Breeder. He's 5 star on ICBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Spotted that girl me self

I saw her first :-)

:D, ok you can have first try but if she blows you out let me know;)

I used LYJ on the heifers. They've a lot of LM in them so I felt a shorthorn cross was a good option for first calving. I'll stick up some pics at some stage.

they could make good replacements, make a smashing cow to cross back to Charolais

Ah but lads, she's mine ;):D

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    So are these 2 by APZ? Nice cattle.

Top one is by DZP and bottom one by APZ. The APZ bull is the best calf I have but DZP has produced an even batch of quality calves. I've a few heifers calves by APZ but they're not as good as this fella. Will be kept as replacements though.

The cow's influence can't be ignored. The two you're picked out are out of my two best cows ;)

they could make good replacements, make a smashing cow to cross back to Charolais

And I think that's where I'm heading with my breeding programme. Continue with AI for replacements and get a stock charolais terminal sire.

And I think that's where I'm heading with my breeding programme. Continue with AI for replacements and get a stock charolais terminal sire.

where i have ended up after years of AI, then BB stock bull and now Charolais stock bull

although I buy in my replacements

15 month old heifer. Off stock bull, son of CF52. Out of small, plain Char X Shorthorn cow, with a creamery of milk. This cow, consistently rears my best price weanling year after year. This is first heifer calf off of her. Kept for breeding. 0eed.jpg

15 month old heifer. Off stock bull, son of CF52. Out of small, plain Char X Shorthorn cow, with a creamery of milk. This cow, consistently rears my best price weanling year after year. This is first heifer calf off of her. Kept for breeding. 0eed.jpg
    Hi damp. The link isn't working, any chance you could fix it? I'd love to see her ;)

Hi damp. The link isn't working, any chance you could fix it? I'd love to see her ;)

Ah, fouk it. I'll never figure how to insert an image:rolleyes:

Here it is, the simple Simon way.

Subscribe to imageshack/photobucket etc. Any free online image host will do. Upload your photo and it will show you image links to embed the image.

Copy the forum code and paste to your reply here. Simples! I'd do up a pic tutorial but am off to strim rushes for a few hours.:(

nice heifer, will breed great stock from char

They stayed inside the confines of the wire........just about mind you :D

photo_zps1a1ae0c6.jpg

photo_zps60231d62.jpg

• Advertisement

They stayed inside the confines of the wire........just about mind you :D

That's a lovely shapey red calf in the bottom pic at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Subscribe to imageshack/photobucket etc. Any free online image host will do. Upload your photo and it will show you image links to embed the image.

Copy the forum code and paste to your reply here. Simples! I'd do up a pic tutorial but am off to strim rushes for a few hours.:(

I take it the weedlicker is still phucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Would you please do tutorial I can only do Simple Simon

That's a lovely shapey red calf in the bottom pic at the front.

Shes nice alright, heifer calf out of a springer, had a nice bit of a pull with her too.

delaval wrote: »
    Would you please do tutorial I can only do Simple Simon

Ok, I'll do one now. No, we fixed it, just one bit of land that remains a bit boggy.

Right lads, I used this link as it's a large image so open it in a new tab/window and use zoom. Read from left to right i.e. go clockwise. Forgot to number them.

If you get stuck, just ask! And ignore my bookmarks! :pac:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3352/pxm3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Right lads, I used this link as it's a large image so open it in a new tab/window and use zoom. Read from left to right i.e. go clockwise. Forgot to number them.

If you get stuck, just ask! And ignore my bookmarks! :pac:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3352/pxm3.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuqncKr1MO1MtD_OwWkeJAXhxws3DTBZFhxrx5IpwHdlfYZtpZWg:pac::pac::pac:

naughto wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuqncKr1MO1MtD_OwWkeJAXhxws3DTBZFhxrx5IpwHdlfYZtpZWg:pac::pac::pac:

:rolleyes:

mD0joCO.jpg

i no what it is just dident want to post such a big pic

naughto wrote: »
    i no what it is just dident want to post such a big pic

I was trying to get the echo in :D

I was trying to get the echo in :D
    a i see my bad.great show to watch