Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

naughto wrote: »
    a i see my bad.great show to watch
    new show out called under the dome
    have it downloaded but havent watched it yet
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1553656/

I'm about to start walking dead. Under the Dome looks good though. WTF is up with the post above yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I'm about to start walking dead. Under the Dome looks good though. WTF is up with the post above yours?
    hes a trool
    walking dead is very good as well
    another one is falling skies
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462059/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Thinking of entering Dragon's Den with my latest invention. Capable of dropping 80 tyres over silage pit. Serious labour saving.

WP_000483_zpsfa1bbb9d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

here is a few photos I took in the last few days

5 month sim x limo Bull
    9144342763_2c96261490_z.jpg

First time calver with a nice quite heifer. One to keep an eye on for replacement
    9146563852_a6972c3c1d_z.jpg

hereford x limo, On my watch list ;) but a little nervous so must make sure she doesnt turn into a daft b**** :D
    9146560262_f0407b7743_z.jpg

Caught this guy sunbathing :D
    9146562242_039c060c9d_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

And here are my three shorthorns. All by LYJ out of limousin 2yo heifers born in January. Being housed to mid-May meant they didn't get much milk or grass early in life :rolleyes:

w1of.jpg

socm.jpg

k2wu.jpg

here is a few photos I took in the last few days
    Nice calves Zetor. Stock bull or AI?

Caught this guy sunbathing :D
    9146562242_039c060c9d_z.jpg
    Jeez, I thought he was dead!!

just do it wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that!!

3 heifers by APZ. Wasn't too impressed with these early on but they're all starting to shape up nicely now. The last one in particular was the size of a rabbit when it was born but is starting to turn inside out. The 3 of them are also out of average cows so my impression of APZ is improving.

vvmj.jpg

kt5z.jpg

j3aq.jpg

They are off the stock bull. First time with a limo. Will try a few ai next spring hopefully

I thought the calf was in trouble until i poked his dangly bits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

They are off the stock bull. First time with a limo. Will try a few ai next spring hopefully

I thought the calf was in trouble until i poked his dangly bits :D
    it looked like the calf had a belly full off gass,a neighbour of mine lost two cows last yr to it,nothing wrong with the cow when he checked them in the evening ,went out in the morning to check they where dead with massive blowed up bellies on them.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    it looked like the calf had a belly full off gass,a neighbour of mine lost two cows last yr to it,nothing wrong with the cow when he checked them in the evening ,went out in the morning to check they where dead with massive blowed up bellies on them.

Jeez yeah tis quick the way you can lose a cow.
    Left the cows into lush grass after strip grazing and had one go down with a build up of gas.
    Caught her on time, vet injected (cant remember the damn name) fine after a few hours.

The cows are hungry this evening so I dont think they will do a whole lot of running and just get straight down to business.....hopefully!!
    I missed this post previously. Good idea to have them hungry when moving alright. One of the best tips I got when starting out from a local.

wom9.jpg

ljk0.jpg

Edit: Both by DZP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Another springers heifer calf, right happy with the way they have bred this year.

01f370e4-b61c-4714-8c53-b1a4ff2b3afb_zps9bd25b45.jpg

Another springers heifer calf, right happy with the way they have bred this year.

No doubt about it redzer, you're doing something right up there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

No doubt about it redzer, you're doing something right up there :D
    JDI, it's the bull. I know he's ginger but come on:P:P:P

delaval wrote: »
    JDI, it's the bull. I know he's ginger but come on:P:P:P

Superior genetics :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

what age did these springers calve down and how do you think they done since calving? :)

what age did these springers calve down and how do you think they done since calving? :)

Most of them calved at 23-25 months and there was a few that were 3 year olds that I bought as very handy weanlings. They are the finest now, bulling away at the moment and making a nice job of the calves. They are handy enough size wise but but not enough to justify leaving them another year i think, The calves out of the 2 year olds are every bit as good as the ones out of the 3 year olds.

• Advertisement

Just to add on another bit, the pic will give you an idea of the size of them. That heifer calved around the middle of April as did the one on the left of the pic with her head chopped off.

photo_zps01596fb2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Redzer,
    Were all these by you Lim stock bull? Is he gone now?
    Fine heifers. You'll have your pic of replacements there.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Redzer,
    Were all these by you Lim stock bull? Is he gone now?
    Fine heifers. You'll have your pic of replacements there.

The springers were out of our old stock bull we sold last year pak. He was by Genial. The calves are out of a young bull I bought last year, hes sarkley pepsi x ferry x ideal 23. Should be a few nice heifers there for breeding alright and I have another few nice ones out of the old bull. Should be no need to buy in any for next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

nothing better then seeing pictures of them :) nothing wrong with them at all doing as good a job as any cow would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Mini black bales

moy83 wrote: »
    Mini black bales
    Collective noun; a litter of bales:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

moy83 wrote: »
    Mini black bales

:eek: He wrapped them in bin bags!

:D

We are at pit silage today , I'll stick up a couple of pics later wait till you see our loader delaval its very like the one you showed us !

Swop delaval ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Nothing wrong with that loader, Moy83! Clutch or Torque?

Our front lawn had got completely out of control, so ran the big lawnmower over it yesterday morning!

https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/836/1i8b.jpg

1i8b.jpg

Our front lawn had got completely out of control, so ran the big lawnmower over it yesterday morning!

1i8b.jpg

Torque . Its going perfect thank god . You're as good as me with the lawn , them small bales were taken off mine !

• Advertisement

1i8b.jpg

HENRY THE HOOVER!!:D

Not a bad day on the Costa, handy to have three mins from the farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Damo810 wrote: »

I knew what that was going to be before I clicked it!

Not a bad day on the Costa, handy to have three mins from the farm!

I think I recognise that beach! Nice spot alright

You would need a lowloader to bring plant for the kids to build sandcastles:D:D

It'd be fairly well known ;) Someone put forward an idea that Greece should sell some of it's islands to pay for their debt. David McWilliams was on a radio programme and mentioned that beach as one of Irelands "assets", don't think knows what he'd be letting himself in for with the locals if he was serious mind :cool:
    delaval wrote: »
    You would need a lowloader to bring plant for the kids to build sandcastles:D:D

The two of them had great plans on the way down, man sized hole in the beach, walls all around and fill it with sea water. They weren't long giving up once they found out water goes through sand, the plan went all to sh*te :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

This is what happens when you give a 16 year old a power washer and has interest in what he is doing,While I was drawing in round bales.Even went off washing machinery after the slats,will definitely be getting him again,to do the small jobs for the next couple of Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dalfour

Well Lads,

Long time onlooker, first time poster

April born TVR calf shaping up nicely

Dalfour wrote: »
    Well Lads,

Good stuff. Nice to see how those new bulls in NCBC are breeding.
    I see you are farming some difficult land yerself.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Jaysus pak what's difficult about that.

:D joking. Fine looking land.

No waste with the paddocks, a lot to be said for spending a few hours arsing with wire, stakes and troughs.

photo_zps1b448e8b.jpg

Still waiting on my smartfences to arrive, have most of the rest of it ready but the grass is starting to get away on me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

No waste with the paddocks, a lot to be said for spending a few hours arsing with wire, stakes and troughs.

photo_zps1b448e8b.jpg

What length of a rotation are you on red, you going to follow behind with any fert

hugo29 wrote: »
    What length of a rotation are you on red, you going to follow behind with any fert

I havent gone into the technical side of it yet hugo tbh, I only set them up the other day. Its getting strong for them now so I'll graze them there for another few days and bale the rest of it I think, have nice grass a bit up the road thats too rough to mow so want to graze that before it starts to go stemmy too. I will put a bag of can to the acre on whats grazed during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

I havent gone into the technical side of it yet hugo tbh, I only set them up the other day. Its getting strong for them now so I'll graze them there for another few days and bale the rest of it I think, have nice grass a bit up the road thats too rough to mow so want to graze that before it starts to go stemmy too.

Only started paddocks myself this year, was just wondering as I am not grazing that bare,

hugo29 wrote: »
    Only started paddocks myself this year, was just wondering as I am not grazing that bare,

Iv no topper and ground conditions are good so I let them go as bare as possible, should thicken it up a bit.

Dalfour wrote: »
    Well Lads,

Jeez that's some first post! Smashing calf. Out of a PBR cow?

• Advertisement

Iv no topper and ground conditions are good so I let them go as bare as possible, should thicken it up a bit.

No turning back now redzer. It doesn't take long to see the benefits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement