Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

n4rx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the cygnet that was attacked by a pike :(

RIP cygnet, hello pike dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    n4rx.jpg

I always wondered what quadboy looked like ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

d97x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

d97x.jpg

Or is that quad boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

n4rx.jpg

drinking cans again i see:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Dalfour

Ah sure it isn't too bad of land I suppose had to show the good side of the land first off :D

Thanks Just do it, Aw god no none of them here, hes out of a very plain shorthorn cross the 1 directly behind the calf.

Very impressed with him have 5 more incalf to him for next spring expecting good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Just 3 of our calves - Mid March/April calves
    Pic 1 - really nice PAM heifer, off a good cow. First time using PAM, who is supposed to be good for maternal traits, even though figures don't back it up. Will be keeping her.

Pic 2 - our best calf. If only we had more like him, instead....

Pic 3 - we have a good few like this. Not a bad AA heifer at all but nothing fancy either. We bulled 5 heifers to calf at 24 months approx last year and Dad wanted to give them a black, which I don't mind too much, but this CYI, while popular around our area is middlin enough. Easily calved though so can't complain too much.

It's funny the difference a year makes. Our best cow last year, with the best calf last year is going to the factory as she has no teeth left, and our second best cow, the first cows daughter, with the second best calf last year, "aborted" at 8 months - think she got a bad puck during our cattle test. This combined with 3 of better cows only due to calf soon means we haven't as good as calves as last year on the ground.

In saying that we have good cows with their time up to CH DEZ and LM FL21 so I am still hopeful!

Hi Seaba

Great stock there!

Have you heard of that AZL throwing mixed enough stock?

Have 2 calves out off him this year and they are nothing but rats!

1 of the cows last year had easily the best ever bull we had out of our own Lm stock bull.

she's a simmental herself maybe not the best breed to go with blue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What type gate handles are lads using? I've used cheap €2 black jobs and now realise how sh*t they are :rolleyes: Penny wise, pound foolish. I will replace as they break. Can anyone recommend good ones?

photo_zps1b448e8b.jpg

Dalfour wrote: »
    Ah sure it isn't too bad of land I suppose had to show the good side of the land first off :D

Thanks Just do it, Aw god no none of them here, hes out of a very plain shorthorn cross the 1 directly behind the calf.

Very impressed with him have 5 more incalf to him for next spring expecting good stuff

How is he for calving? Would you chance him on heifers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

They are better than the black ones but still not great muckit, can't remember what they cost but they weren't dear anyway.

just do it wrote: »
    How is for calving? Would you chance him on heifers?

Well we jacked the calf but it wasnt difficult probly would have had him herself!

Am i dont think i would not untill i have a few more anyway!

Are you using NCBC bulls yourself?

They are better than the black ones but still not great muckit, can't remember what they cost but they weren't dear anyway.

Thanks. Great grazing setup going on there;) Fair play. Had you much heartache setting up the water? Is it a lacme solar fencer you having powering that bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have being busy with the photo machine this evening

1. Grubs up
    2. Maize looking better than it actually is, wild oats waiting for spray:mad:
    3. Spring barley looking nice

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks. Great grazing setup going on there;) Fair play. Had you much heartache setting up the water? Is it a lacme solar fencer you having powering that bit?

No it's a secur 100 I think muckit. Good fence so far but not cheap. Had to put down 300 yards of pipe, had to pull it up from another place first though which was a right balls of a job. It would be great training for a tug of war team :D Just using the one trough and moving it every 2 paddocks. More work but it only takes a few minutes all the same.

What type gate handles are lads using? I've used cheap €2 black jobs and now realise how sh*t they are :rolleyes: Penny wise, pound foolish. I will replace as they break. Can anyone recommend good ones?

Bought 10 of these the last day they seem grand! very cheap 2!

http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MFE0019&cat=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

1. Grubs up

Hi Bob,

I wouldn't know a whole pile about growing maize, but that looks a great crop. Better than the fields round here.

Your beet looks good as well... Seen a very sorry looking field of beet yesterday as I driving around...

Well we jacked the calf but it wasnt difficult probly would have had him herself!

Am i dont think i would not untill i have a few more anyway!

Are you using NCBC bulls yourself?

Yeah his calving figure on ICBF is 8.9% so not surprised to hear it. I've 3 SHX heifers for the bull next year, hence the query.

My AI man is Munster AI and they use NCBC bulls. I've been using gene ireland bulls and HCA or LYJ on heifers.

No it's a secur 100 I think muckit.

Ya Lacme is the make, secur the model. I've a clos model. Savage fencers aren't they redz? Mine would lift ya! Great bang off it.

I've a plan to put in 2 more drinkers this summer and it will allow me to sub divide paddocks further. It's all money though :pac:

Yeah his calving figure on ICBF is 8.9% so not surprised to hear it. I've 3 SHX heifers for the bull next year, hence the query.

My AI man is Munster AI and they use NCBC bulls. I've been using gene ireland bulls and HCA or LYJ on heifers.

Aw yeah same as myself so! I got a few of them straws aswell Fty,Gwo and qcd.

From what i've read here Gwo won't be so maternal!
    I hope they know something we don't!

Ya have a good few heifers served to hca

• Advertisement

Ya Lacme is the make, secur the model. I've a clos model. Savage fencers aren't they redz? Mine would lift ya! Great bang off it.

I've a plan to put in 2 more drinkers this summer and it will allow me to sub divide paddocks further. It's all money though :pac:

Yea I have secur 300 ( on your recommendation muckit) savage job, nearly lifted me when I touched it, pulse setting great job

Hi Bob,

I wouldn't know a whole pile about growing maize, but that looks a great crop. Better than the fields round here.

Your beet looks good as well... Seen a very sorry looking field of beet yesterday as I driving around...

As I said it looks better in the photo than it does in reality I think. Waiting to get on it will micro nutrients which should green it up and spray grass,wild oats, weeds etc. That crop was under plastic until I cut it off 2 weeks ago so I could spray. Field is in my possession for about 7 yrs now so starting to come good.

Beet does look okay, its on good beet growing ground and again Im farming that land for nearly 10yrs now. Some difference in the beet that is growing on the ground im only 3 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Hi Seaba

Great stock there!

Have you heard of that AZL throwing mixed enough stock?

Have 2 calves out off him this year and they are nothing but rats!

1 of the cows last year had easily the best ever bull we had out of our own Lm stock bull.

she's a simmental herself maybe not the best breed to go with blue?

Thanks.
    Ya, a few people on here have mixed stock from AZL.
    On the catelogue its says best results on 3/4 bred limousin and 1/2 BB cows and a good few of ours cows would be 3/4ish limousin, so maybe that has something to do with it. Our best 2 weanlings last year, better than that fella, sold for just under €3 a kilo in the mart and they got bugger all nuts so we're very happy with him anyway.

We had a very average calf out of the BB BBQ - neighbours with great cattle off him, off cows no where near as good as ours - a tank of a BB cow. Funny how it goes.

Ya it's as good as a mains fence, you could hear where it's earthing a hundred yards away there's such a bang off it. I have a few of half inch pipe with a tee on the end off the trough. Put a straight joiner in then when I'm moving it then. Haven't a notion of going off buying 10 troughs at the moment.

hugo29 wrote: »
    Yea I have secur 300 ( on your recommendation muckit) savage job, nearly lifted me when I touched it, pulse setting great job

It could be the 300 I have too, must check tomorrow, can't remember now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

in the market for a new fencer too, where did ye purchase the secur 300? like the sound of it

razor8 wrote: »
    in the market for a new fencer too, where did ye purchase the secur 300? like the sound of it

Connacht agri supplies in mayo, they deliver too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

Connacht agri supplies in mayo, they deliver too

There pricey! Need something that will burn vegetation, would it be up to it?

razor8 wrote: »
    There pricey! Need something that will burn vegetation, would it be up to it?

If you need a serious fence its either a PEL or Stafix - nothing else comes close.

• Advertisement

Haven't a notion of going off buying 10 troughs at the moment.
    You're right, but that will change ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

I'm in the same boat with a few years. Servicing 14 acres divided into paddocks, and at times paddocks into smaller paddocks (strip grazing).

I'm still, pulling and dragging one water trough, and a few a couple mof hundred meters of pipe, to keep things going.
    Jazuz, but we love hardship:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

I have a few of half inch pipe with a tee on the end off the trough. Put a straight joiner in then when I'm moving it then.

Redz would you put up a pic please. Brain is dead today just can't visualise your setup!

ABlur wrote: »
    I have a few of half inch pipe with a tee on the end off the trough. Put a straight joiner in then when I'm moving it then.

Redz would you put up a pic please. Brain is dead today just can't visualise your setup!

He has a short length of pipe (probably about 3') out of ballcock of trough, with a tee joiner on the end.

On taps into the main line then (which I assume he has overground) by opening a straight joiner and removing centre of it and putting in T from trough in it's place ;)

You need a stopcock at the beginning of the main run so as to be able to turn off water. It's grand when starting off, but I wouldn't like to be at it all the time.

I see on youtube a lad in states that uses quick release couplings so that he doesn't have to turn off mains, now that's when you'd be in business;) Simply pull out, then push into the next point.

He has a short length of pipe (probably about 3') out of ballcock of trough, with a tee joiner on the end.

On taps into the main line then (which I assume he has overground) by opening a straight joiner and removing centre of it and putting in T from trough in it's place ;)

You need a stopcock at the beginning of the main run so as to be able to turn off water. It's grand when starting off, but I wouldn't like to be at it all the time.

I see on youtube a lad in states that uses quick release couplings so that he doesn't have to turn off mains, now that's when you'd be in business;) Simply pull out, then push into the next point.

jayus lads life is too short for that crack:D, just bite the bullet and put in the few extra drinkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

jayus lads life is too short for that crack:D, just bite the bullet and put in the few extra drinkers

Yeah, but the grass police, would pick a lad up, for not back fencing:eek:
    Need to keep the water trough moving with the fence.

I'm surprised yor man Concannon, in JFC, hasn't come out with a water trough on wheels!!

• Advertisement

Muckit has it explained better than me above there.

Probably over time but I could find a better way to spend 1k at the moment than buying 10 troughs, only a 5 minute job every day or 2 at the moment to move it so I can live with that for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

1. Grubs up

Didn't think you were a "white head" man Bob!!

Have you being hiding a few FRs too!

Your SB looks well :)

nashmach wrote: »
    Didn't think you were a "white head" man Bob!!

Have you being hiding a few FRs too!

Your SB looks well :)

Anything goes at my age nowadays, beggars cant be choosers

SB drilled in crap conditions.:mad:, typical SW drilled in super conditions looks poor, drop up a pic later as im going spray it this evening

Sounds like you've the same set up as redzer and as muckit has explained

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

a few weanlings
    enc5.jpg

utwd.jpg

w5pd.jpg

h4xc.jpg

gq8s.jpg

Where did you get the small white one Vander :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I think that's one of them mini breeds, sell it to a transplanted good lifer for a fortune ;)

i have a few more not much bigger than the little hoor :D
    even the cows dont bother with him anymore, he wanders thru them every morning when im doing the herding

a few weanlings
    Autumn calves I take it! What's your plan with them vander?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

move them on, got 1200 for 400kg lims on sat sept born, they look around 350 kgs vander.

Autumn calves I take it! What's your plan with them vander?
    leg wax wrote: »
    move them on, got 1200 for 400kg lims on sat sept born, they look around 350 kgs vander.

Ya will go with them soon. I haven't been to a mart in moths, heard trade wasn't great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

leg wax wrote: »

where was that legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

second cut silage
    83m0.jpg
    yxvj.jpg
    90v5.jpg
    h1o7.jpg
    rb14.jpg
    gy63.jpg
    0hw8.jpg
    mr82.jpg
    1hv.jpg