Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

stanflt wrote: »
    second cut silage
    83m0.jpg
    yxvj.jpg
    90v5.jpg
    h1o7.jpg
    rb14.jpg
    gy63.jpg
    0hw8.jpg
    mr82.jpg
    1hv.jpg
    iwwr.jpg

Could you get spreader veins for the Kuhn mower stan? Might save you time tending it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Could you get spreader veins for the Kuhn mower stan? Might save you time tending it out.

still needs to be tedded to get dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Nice grass Stan

Have you given up on picking up the silage yerselves? I thought you had a nice JF on the go for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Nice grass Stan

Have you given up on picking up the silage yerselves? I thought you had a nice JF on the go for a while

no it will be out next week for another 35acres

ive too much work for it and it doesnt like tedded grass

cows silage all made by self propelled 30-40dm 75-85dmd
    replacements all fed on jf 20-25dm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

where was that legs?
    carnew mart a great trade for shape tlt v mallon,staring each other out of it ,great to see,lads sold bb in tullow on fri instead of going to carnew they lost 100-150 a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ya will go with them soon. I haven't been to a mart in moths, heard trade wasn't great though
    Good luck with them and let us know how you get on. Can't say I've been near the mart in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

How much of a wilt did you give it Stan? Looking at the pics I'm starting to think my second cut is coming on nicely;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

leg wax wrote: »
    carnew mart a great trade for shape tlt v mallon,staring each other out of it ,great to see,lads sold bb in tullow on fri instead of going to carnew they lost 100-150 a head.

I seen Quinn and Mallon driving them sky high couple years ago .
    Be great to be on the recieving end .
    How are the parts doin for you this year?

Richk2012 wrote: »
    I seen Quinn and Mallon driving them sky high couple years ago .
    Be great to be on the recieving end .
    How are the parts doin for you this year?
    parts are brill i have some plain calves as can be exspected,left the bull in staight away on 1st may,no bb here next spring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

In contrast to Stanfit :confused:

Rushes licked last tuesday evening - starting to turn orange. Cattle due to graze in here in about 20 days time. Will let the rushes die till after that and then top them off. This is another field that was desolated in the wet weather last summer. It was licked in March 2012 and there wasn't a rush on it throughout last summer, but they really sprung up during last winter! It's due a coat of pig slurry and a bag to the acre of can after the rushes are cleared.

DSC_0077_zpscb7eefa5.jpg?t=1372759734

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    no it will be out next week for another 35acres

ive too much work for it and it doesnt like tedded grass

cows silage all made by self propelled 30-40dm 75-85dmd
    replacements all fed on jf 20-25dm

Hi Stan

Are you in winter milk? I hear some lads talking about that kind of silage (75+dmd) as been 'too good' for dry cows? I'd be very interested to hear your take on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Springer to calf within the next week. Carrying way too much condition, I foresee trouble.

photo_zps87a774eb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Springer to calf within the next week. Carrying way too much condition, I foresee trouble.
    In the same boat myself. A heifer I bought last year. Trying to restrict her on grass at the moment but we'll see. Her timer is up on 15th. Not that big in th belly but too much condition for my liking. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

pakalasa wrote: »
    In the same boat myself. A heifer I bought last year. Trying to restrict her on grass at the moment but we'll see. Her timer is up on 15th. Not that big in th belly but too much condition for my liking. Fingers crossed.

Me too:eek: Mine is very bulky in the belly. Lim X in calf to lim RHF. Is classed an easy calfer. However, had two springers calved, to him last March. 290 days and 291 days:confused: Is that not high for lims in general???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Some topped today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

parts are brill i have some plain calves as can be exspected,left the bull in staight away on 1st may,no bb here next spring.

Never had a part here before .
    Was going to pick up a few straws and stick them in the pot for some autumn calvers.

Any chance of a few pictures of the calves ???

Me too:eek: Mine is very bulky in the belly. Lim X in calf to lim RHF. Is classed an easy calfer. However, had two springers calved, to him last March. 290 days and 291 days:confused: Is that not high for lims in general???
    RHF is 289 days gestation (ICBF). Limousin breed average is 290 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

reilig wrote: »
    In contrast to Stanfit :confused:

Rushes licked last tuesday evening - starting to turn orange. Cattle due to graze in here in about 20 days time. Will let the rushes die till after that and then top them off. This is another field that was desolated in the wet weather last summer. It was licked in March 2012 and there wasn't a rush on it throughout last summer, but they really sprung up during last winter! It's due a coat of pig slurry and a bag to the acre of can after the rushes are cleared.

Do u just leave them to rot after topping reilig, and if so does this not prevent the grass from growing thru the topped ones?

royaler83 wrote: »
    Do u just leave them to rot after topping reilig, and if so does this not prevent the grass from growing thru the topped ones?

Na, top it with a topper. It will shred it instead of leaving it in a row on top of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Whats the reason for moving away from bb? Am very fond of the parts too but i think the colour sometimes holds them back in the sales ring what you think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Springer to calf within the next week. Carrying way too much condition, I foresee trouble.thats not trouble ...this is trouble time up in 4 weeks she has been in a bare paddock all yearand still gets fat!!!!
    IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

Was going to pick up a few straws and stick them in the pot for some autumn calvers.

will do when i get a chance
    Whats the reason for moving away from bb? Am very fond of the parts too but i think the colour sometimes holds them back in the sales ring what you think??
    i need quality replacements and i have parts that are as good as blues will have to wait and see if they make the same money ( no they wont) if you breed quality of any breed you will get paid, 1200 for lim bulls that will do for my part bulls, and then abel to keep all heifers for breeding(cant with blues), if your bringing quality animals to a mart and the customers are not happy with the skin tone they are no good to you or your cattle move to a mart with shippers,if you want to buy shoes you dont go to a veg shop,shippers wont go to a mart if the standard of cattle is poor. sorry wine kicking in off to bed now.
    legs

I saw Limousin bulls selling in sixmilebridge mart recently and they made around €1200 mark. These were all good muscley types but what stood out about them was the lines of the muscle and the short hair.
    Now most limousins I see have a good coat of hair. So whats bringing this?
    Is it breeding on the cow side like Blonde or Parth or is it feeding or both. They had plenty of height so I doubt if any BB breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

reilig wrote: »
    Na, top it with a topper. It will shred it instead of leaving it in a row on top of the ground.

Ever try mulching reilig, I find topper don't get them bare enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

mikeoh wrote: »
    this is trouble time up in 4 weeks she has been in a bare paddock all yearand still gets fat!!!!
    IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

Hope she goes well. Fine animal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I tried BZB Part bull for the first time last year and here is the calf. Born September on her own with no problem. The cow is back in calf to the same bull calving in September.

260972.JPG

This is her with her mother. I'm very happy with her colouring because amazingly round here that's what sells best although I'm probably going to keep her for breeding. I've tried BZB on three other cows, 2 chx and one red LM so hopefully they will keep this colouring.

260974.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭limo_100

towzer2010 wrote: »
    I tried BZB Part bull for the first time last year and here is the calf. Born September on her own with no problem. The cow is back in calf to the same bull calving in September.

260972.JPG

This is her with her mother. I'm very happy with her colouring because amazingly round here that's what sells best although I'm probably going to keep her for breeding. I've tried BZB on three other cows, 2 chx and one red LM so hopefully they will keep this colouring.

260974.JPG

what weight would you say she is??

To be honest I don't really know. I'm not the best at judging weights. I dosed her the other day with ivomec and gave her for 350 kg's but she's really only around 300 kgs.

If she was getting nuts and better grass she would have no problem putting on a lot more weight but for two reasons I haven't pushed her

1. I'm keeping her and 5 other autumn heifer calves for breeding and they will all be target weight by Christmas.

2. The autumn calving cows don't need to good of grass because they get to fat before calving.

New Jockey

photo_zpsb09a70f7.jpg

photo_zps8591d23e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

did you buy him privately redz? Your man has a nice shed!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    did you buy him privately redz? Your man has a nice shed!

Ya, twas a grand shed now but it was wanted because the surrounding land wasnt up to much.

Ya, twas a grand shed now but it was wanted because the surrounding land wasnt up to much.

what age of a lad is he??

Fine bull redz. What's his breeding?

hugo29 wrote: »
    what age of a lad is he??
    Fine bull redz. What's his breeding?

15 months. Ionesco x fieldson alfy

super animal for 15 months, good head

Good luck with him. I've a cow out of Ionesco and she's a pure pet, you can rub her in the field.

Good luck with him. I've a cow out of Ionesco and she's a pure pet, you can rub her in the field.

What's she like for milk towzer? He only has one star on icbf and he was advertised as a maternal bull when he came out at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

My bull is out of ionesco too. he actually looks very like yours. ours is only one star for milk too but 4.5 stars as maternal and five stars for terminal. His mother is a navarin cow and when i went to look at her she had a serious elder so i wouldnt pay too much heed to the star ratings for the milk. i cant understand how an animal with only 1 star for milk can be classed as 4.5 for maternal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Good job Redzer best of luck with him. Hes a half brother to SIX in progressive so. Just calved our 1st ionesco heifer about a week ago at 26mts had a heifer calf by czh Carmon Dauphin and shes a cracker would love more like her!

• Advertisement

I bought a new boy aswel hes by nuef x LOUXOR hes not massive but hes a muscle machine. have him 2weeks 9cows bulled

1chippy wrote: »
    My bull is out of ionesco too. he actually looks very like yours. ours is only one star for milk too but 4.5 stars as maternal and five stars for terminal. His mother is a navarin cow and when i went to look at her she had a serious elder so i wouldnt pay too much heed to the star ratings for the milk. i cant understand how an animal with only 1 star for milk can be classed as 4.5 for maternal.
    That's good, my lad is 4.5 star maternal and terminal. He's out of a fieldson alfy cow too but she is dry at the moment. He showed her to me alright and shes a fine cow and he said she has plenty of milk too. I can't understand how they can have such a high maternal value with one star for milk myself to be honest.

What's she like for milk towzer? He only has one star on icbf and he was advertised as a maternal bull when he came out at first.

She has loads of milk but that comes from the maternal side. Her grandmother was a Simmental I bought from a dairy farmer.

Milk only makes up 9% of the new Maternal Index. You really do need to look at the invididual traits, not the overall ones.

http://www.icbf.com/publications/files/Intro_of_new_terminal_maternal_beef_indexes.pdf

limo_100 wrote: »
    I bought a new boy aswel hes by nuef x LOUXOR hes not massive but hes a muscle machine. have him 2weeks 9cows bulled

Best pedigree cow I have is Neuf. Anything that she breeds is top class. Loads of milk, great feet, easy calved but piles on teh muscle at about 8 weeks. You can't go too far wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

throw up a pic

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Milk only makes up 9% of the new Maternal Index. You really do need to look at the invididual traits, not the overall ones.

http://www.icbf.com/publications/files/Intro_of_new_terminal_maternal_beef_indexes.pdf

I do alright pak but often wondered why they calculate it that way.

Well wear, your man I bought the bull off had a few cows by neuf aswell and he had great praise of them. He had a Carmorn copilot heifer out of one of them and if she was any longer she'd be late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

throw up a pic

I bought a lim also. 15 months, son of Wilodge Cerberus. Very quiet so far, and cows seem to be keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Feb '12 heifer of ADX doing well on poor enough grazing.

67oi.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Milton09 wrote: »
    Feb '12 heifer of ADX doing well on poor enough grazing.

67oi.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

one for the bull no dought and is she off a sim cow??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement