Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Ours came in from the UK as scrap in the seventies (Some loop hole) , we had a new holland baler on it. The brother overheated it one year doing the baling

The father overheated his one cutting silage aswell once upon a time . He used to have a 43" ug harvester on it I think . I must ask him again what size it was to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

moy83 wrote: »
    No its a 434 alright . Id say the baler makes it look smaller

My father and late Grandfather demoed one of those at the time to replace a Dexta.

Went with a Ford 3000 in the end which is still here and does a similar job to your IH with a IH 440 baler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I try not to bale for anyone else because when that baler goes wrong there isnt enough 50 cents in the world to bring down the blood preassure I work up trying to get her going again

Ah ya. I should have explained better instead of giggling away to myself. There was a local fellow that used to go out on hire with the square baler a few years ago, he be sitting above on the tractor talking away to himself saying the chunk the chunk 50 cent, I always get a bit of a giggle when I think of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Black girls feeling the heat ......1F2FDB45-CB68-4D66-AE21-2B5EC0DBDE9E-893-000000C59533796A.jpg

nashmach wrote: »
    My father and late Grandfather demoed one of those at the time to replace a Dexta.

Went with a Ford 3000 in the end which is still here and does a similar job to your IH with a IH 440 baler.

I wonder what swayed them to buy the ford ? Nothing wrong with a ford at all just wondering what was between the two of them . I'd say the ford would have sold more than the international

I wonder what swayed them to buy the ford ? Nothing wrong with a ford at all just wondering what was between the two of them . I'd say the ford would have sold more than the international

We have always been Ford/Fordson here up until two years ago!

I believe the 3000 was a little cheaper for what they wanted and also it was a little lighter which suited for scuffling beet and other light jobs it used to do back in the day.

My Grandfather I think took a dislike to the glowplugs for starting the IH as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Another load. This is second cut that we would normally cut Aug 1 but with dry we need more good quality to keep milkers going
    How soon should you wait for bales to ferment.
    We are going through a lot at the moment and looks like that will double next week as put farm losing grass at the moment with parts starting to burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

We have always been Ford/Fordson here up until two years ago!

:D

Terracotta?? ;-)

td5man wrote: »
    Terracotta?? ;-)

We stuck with blue alright, just a different hue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

We stuck with blue alright, just a different hue!

Go on then show us a picture we know your dying to.

td5man wrote: »
    Go on then show us a picture we know your dying to.

You'll be waiting a while Mr td5man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »
    Another load. This is second cut that we would normally cut Aug 1 but with dry we need more good quality to keep milkers going
    How soon should you wait for bales to ferment.
    We are going through a lot at the moment and looks like that will double next week as put farm losing grass at the moment with parts starting to burn

I would leave bales a few minute before feeding:D. The same goes for wholecrop/maize/crimp, 90% of the silage I made 35days ago is gone:rolleyes: hence I best get my second cut haggard done this weekend

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ploughing down a bit of slurry for kale.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

blue5000 wrote: »

where is the slurry

around here if its not flowing into the furrow it doesnt need ploughin in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jerdee wrote: »
    Black girls feeling the heat ......

Quick turn off the fencer, there's one out the far side!

• Advertisement

Is it not getting late for kale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

why not stitch it in and have a sod under them for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

leg wax wrote: »

Does it work well with kale seed ...direct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

securing the cows thirst for the H2O for the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

The neighbour told me to take away this old trailer chassis that was in his way, meant to bring for scrap but never got the time, glad I didnt now as its serving a very handy purpose here on some rented ground.
    y5kk.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

Is it not getting late for kale?

I don't know........yet:)
    Last yr it was august before the weather dried up enough to till it, it was only about knee high, previous to that I always got a good crop from sowing in July.
    I reckon anything that appeared above ground in the last month is getting toasted this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

DSC_0079_zpsa7fb58da.jpg

Silage rowed for the morning. It's light enough so have 15ft swarts.

DSC_0080_zps0575e87b.jpg?t=1373666823

And another one. These are low lying fields that only got baled on 4th of september last year. We only started our first cut this day last year and here we are about to bale up the last of it. Amazing summer - what are we going to do for the rest of it? We don't know ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Traditional hay making in Switzerland, they've a great way of getting it home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Traditional hay making in Switzerland, they've a great way of getting it home!
    I was waiting for them to just roll them down the mountain.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I don't know........yet:)
    Last yr it was august before the weather dried up enough to till it, it was only about knee high, previous to that I always got a good crop from sowing in July.
    I reckon anything that appeared above ground in the last month is getting toasted this week.

Wouldnt say that this was sowed the 15 june seems to be motoring oksy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was waiting for them to just roll them down the mountain.:rolleyes:

Me too, that'd get old if you had to roll them half way back up the next mountain though.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Wouldnt say that this was sowed the 15 june seems to be motoring oksy

Fair play to you. What variety is it?

Legs have you any this year, and does the direct drill work well for sowing it?

Main reason I ploughed it is to try break up compacted surface layer after the last couple of wet years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Fair play to you. What variety is it?

Legs have you any this year, and does the direct drill work well for sowing it?

Main reason I ploughed it is to try break up compacted surface layer after the last couple of wet years.
    no kale this year, direct drill is top class for kale turnips or grass seeds .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

For the weather we are having. Got a few bits baled on Friday.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=73Mv1zqZDhE

• Advertisement

Ready for am. Now all I have left to do is wrestle with the phucking dual wheels!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »

Silage rowed for the morning. It's light enough so have 15ft swarths.

Nice shaped windrows. Were they made with the pz360 Reilig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

And another one. These are low lying fields that only got baled on 4th of september last year. We only started our first cut this day last year and here we are about to bale up the last of it. Amazing summer - what are we going to do for the rest of it? We don't know ourselves.
    Ah you're only showing off now ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mlq123

Here in America people raise cows, not very many people raise sheep or goats. Around Nov. to Jan. they raise turkey's and hens. The milk cows are injected with chemicals to produce more milk and people drink that, the vegetables and fruit are sprayed with chemicals to keep bugs off them and people eat that; you can wash them with soap and water as well as scrub them with a brush but scientist and doctors will tell you that there is still 10-15% of the chemicals still left on there. The chemicals they spray over the grass to keep weeds from growing in there and to produce more grass the cows eat that and you eat the cows. We have known to have some sick cows and some e-cola in our food that is sold in the stores.

My husband and I grow our own garden and we do everything natural, no chemicals and we spray soap and water on our plants it is an old remedy that seems to work to keep bugs off our plants.

I never ate lamb but tried it one day because God tells us to sacrifice the lamb and he also tells us to eat it. I thought it was very good and could not get enough of it but it is VERY expensive here in America. It cost $1 a pound. My husband I live in an a RV trailer and we own it so we rent a lot and cannot raise our own animals. But can grow our own garden.

I do have a question for you, my family came from Ireland, Scotland and Germany. I have gone back so far 500 years and have come to a stopping point so my mothers distant grandparents may have come to America farther than that.
    I have studied some cultures of Ireland, religion, dress codes, dances. I was wondering if things are still the same.

When a woman dates is it the like the old custom ways they have to date for several months before the man can propose?

And when the woman gets married her inheritance goes with her but the man owns it all?

Last question my husband is Irish but he doesn't know if he has any other blood in him because he has never done his gemology. He can eat hot peppers off the vine and we buy the hottest peppers in the store nothing bothers him. They seem to help his allergies. So can Irish people eat hot peppers?
    I know they can hold their liquor, just like German's and Scottish. My grandfather was full German and he drinked nothing but moonshine and held it well until late at night.
    Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]

SECURITY & PRIVACY:
    An issue has been brought to our attention regarding vehicle registration numbers visible in photographs, where the criminally inclined trawl the Internet looking for vehicles similar to their own, clone the number plates, and head off merrily accruing penalty points, not paying toll fees, and leaving filling stations without paying, leaving the unfortunate owner of the genuine vehicle having to deal with the Gardaí as they investigate these matters.
    This is likely much more of an issue on the big car selling websites, but it might be good practice to either obscure the number plate or not include it in the first place if you post a picture of your vehicle here.
    Obviously, don't post such details of other peoples' vehicles.

We've modified the forum Charter regarding this and a couple of other items to do with photographs/scans, see HERE.

If anyone want any of their old photos deleted, give the mods a shout by PM.

[/MOD]

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]

SECURITY & PRIVACY:
    An issue has been brought to our attention regarding vehicle registration numbers visible in photographs, where the criminally inclined trawl the Internet looking for vehicles similar to their own, clone the number plates, and head off merrily accruing penalty points, not paying toll fees, and leaving filling stations without paying, leaving the unfortunate owner of the genuine vehicle having to deal with the Gardaí as they investigate these matters.
    This is likely much more of an issue on the big car selling websites, but it might be good practice to either obscure the number plate or not include it in the first place if you post a picture of your vehicle here.
    Obviously, don't post such details of other peoples' vehicles.

We've modified the forum Charter regarding this and a couple of other items to do with photographs/scans, see HERE.

If anyone want any of their old photos deleted, give the mods a shout by PM.

[/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

mlq123 wrote: »
    Here in America people raise cows, not very many people raise sheep or goats. Around Nov. to Jan. they raise turkey's and hens. The milk cows are injected with chemicals to produce more milk and people drink that, the vegetables and fruit are sprayed with chemicals to keep bugs off them and people eat that; you can wash them with soap and water as well as scrub them with a brush but scientist and doctors will tell you that there is still 10-15% of the chemicals still left on there. The chemicals they spray over the grass to keep weeds from growing in there and to produce more grass the cows eat that and you eat the cows. We have known to have some sick cows and some e-cola in our food that is sold in the stores.

My husband and I grow our own garden and we do everything natural, no chemicals and we spray soap and water on our plants it is an old remedy that seems to work to keep bugs off our plants.

I never ate lamb but tried it one day because God tells us to sacrifice the lamb and he also tells us to eat it. I thought it was very good and could not get enough of it but it is VERY expensive here in America. It cost $1 a pound. My husband I live in an a RV trailer and we own it so we rent a lot and cannot raise our own animals. But can grow our own garden.

I do have a question for you, my family came from Ireland, Scotland and Germany. I have gone back so far 500 years and have come to a stopping point so my mothers distant grandparents may have come to America farther than that.
    I have studied some cultures of Ireland, religion, dress codes, dances. I was wondering if things are still the same.

When a woman dates is it the like the old custom ways they have to date for several months before the man can propose?

And when the woman gets married her inheritance goes with her but the man owns it all?

Last question my husband is Irish but he doesn't know if he has any other blood in him because he has never done his gemology. He can eat hot peppers off the vine and we buy the hottest peppers in the store nothing bothers him. They seem to help his allergies. So can Irish people eat hot peppers?
    I know they can hold their liquor, just like German's and Scottish. My grandfather was full German and he drinked nothing but moonshine and held it well until late at night.

Time to circle the wagons. Aliens are watching us!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mlq123

My husband I rent a lot in an RV park we cannot have farm animals on the owners park, dogs are to stay in doors, they will allow you to have a small garden or plants in pots in your yard. But no farm animals.

My husband and I are planting 4 fruit trees in our lot and we dream to buy our own lot so we can grow our own fruit trees, farm and have some chickens where we can sell some of the fruit, vegetables, some baby chicks and eggs as well as eat what we grow.
    Richk2012 wrote: »
    How do ye find them for docility ?????
    Have a few crossbred castleview calves aswell and there all fairly flighty .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Gaud damn mlq123, there is some good weeds a grow'n amongst those there organic vegatables you've got yourself a grow'n. Now you got any there photos for this livestock/general farming PHOTO thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sorry about that guys, I'll leave it to the regular mods to clean up but they won't be bothering you anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Ready for am. Now all I have left to do is wrestle with the phucking dual wheels!!!

why bother with the duals, consolidation is totally over rated. bang it all up in a big heap, fire the sheet over and get out all the air and you will have perfect silage, all be it, that the pit will fall about 50% :D, No messing. it was called stacking in the old days and I had to do it once in a real awkward shed and there wasnt a inch of waste

• Advertisement

why bother with the duals, consolidation is totally over rated. bang it all up in a big heap, fire the sheet over and get out all the air and you will have perfect silage, all be it, that the pit will fall about 50% :D, No messing. it was called stacking in the old days and I had to do it once in a real awkward shed and there wasnt a inch of waste
    Do you mean that the air will be pushed out when the pit is settling ? Or how would you get it out before then without packing ?

Pit is full and I need to climb, will prob need to call air traffic for last two fields and I'm a big blouse!!!!
    Consolidation much better without duals they spread the weight too much.
    Two wagons on in the morning so my priority is to keep it out of the way

mikeoh wrote: »
    ..Springer to calf within the next week. Carrying way too much condition, I foresee trouble.thats not trouble ...this is trouble time up in 4 weeks she has been in a bare paddock all yearand still gets fat!!!!
    Well, did she calve ok? My own one calved during the night. No problems, thank God.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Well, did she calve ok? My own one calved during the night. No problems, thank God.

Good. How many days since insemination?
    I have three due next month. Two red lims (grand daughters of BF cows). Mighty frames on them now. One of them is ballooned up with bulk,. Expecting big calf.
    I have a blue also. First time putting a blue in calf.

Good. How many days since insemination?
    I have three due next month. Two red lims (grand daughters of BF cows). Mighty frames on them now. One of them is ballooned up with bulk,. Expecting big calf.
    I have a blue also. First time putting a blue in calf.

Is the blue off a BF? We have a couple for years. And we have kept many of their daughters who all have good milk. First year we usually put an easy calving LIM on them and then after that there's no bother with the CH Stock Bull.

Just 290 days, I think. Handy bull calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Pit is full and I need to climb, will prob need to call air traffic for last two fields and I'm a big blouse!!!!
    Consolidation much better without duals they spread the weight too much.
    Two wagons on in the morning so my priority is to keep it out of the way

I drove a loader for a silage crew for a couple of seasons back in the day.
    There's plenty of blouses out there amongst the farming community you're not alone. At some point in the day on most farms the farmer would end up sitting/half standing in the door of the cab, cue a sudden urge to give the edges a good roll. Some of the places we worked left a lot to be desired in the walls dept or space for that matter. They usually had a bitch to make about something but none of them had the stomach for hanging over the edge of a 10 or 15 foot drop while they ranted:eek: in fact most of them quickly shutup and left as soon as they thought they could get away with their dignity intact.:D:D

Is the blue off a BF? We have a couple for years. And we have kept many of their daughters who all have good milk. First year we usually put an easy calving LIM on them and then after that there's no bother with the CH Stock Bull.

She is grand daughter of a BF cow. Dam is a black lim.
    In calf to CWI lim.
    Not the easiest calver according to the stats on ICBF.
    My own experience, has been good with CWI. Easy calved so far for me.

She is grand daughter of a BF cow. Dam is a black lim.
    In calf to CWI lim.
    Not the easiest calver according to the stats on ICBF.
    My own experience, has been good with CWI. Easy calved so far for me.

I find that your own experience of a bull is usually what he is like. CWI probably suits your system, the way that you feed your cows and the way that they are bred. There's no reason why he shouldn't continue to be a good calver for you if you keep doing what you're doing.

I drove a loader for a silage crew for a couple of seasons back in the day.
    There's plenty of blouses out there amongst the farming community you're not alone. At some point in the day on most farms the farmer would end up sitting/half standing in the door of the cab, cue a sudden urge to give the edges a good roll. Some of the places we worked left a lot to be desired in the walls dept or space for that matter. They usually had a bitch to make about something but none of them had the stomach for hanging over the edge of a 10 or 15 foot drop while they ranted:eek: in fact most of them quickly shutup and left as soon as they thought they could get away with their dignity intact.:D:D

I occasionally get called by local contractor when pressure is really on. I do exactly what you do I call it staining the jocks gets rid of them fairly fast. When they're in the buddy seat and you see them going for their brake that's the time to really do a good job on the edges.

Did a bit for neighbour last week 3 lads with sprongs on the pit, really annoying. My solution was to flick a bit over the wall and when it's cleaned up another little bit. Keeps them busy and out of the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Seeing as everyone is putting up photos of lovely cut fields, with heavy crops...

I said I'd post some pics of my "Grass 2013 kick-off"

Hay down...
    (I'd bet some of ye have bigger lawns, its really only a small square of grass in front of the house)

The machinery

:D

And it only took a few hours... (remember I said it was small patch) ;) :rolleyes:

a load of stopping and starting cos the blade got all blocked / clogged... :(
    a whole load of cursing.... :mad:
    a breakdown cos of broken sections... :(
    more cursing... :mad:

Sure what else would I be doing on a Sunday afternoon :(

Ahhhhh.... the satisfaction of looking out at it now, and it all patchy and quare looking, uncut bits coming up through it... :o

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement