Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

What is this "full comp" you speak of?

Full comp insurance. I have on any thing with gearbox or pump. If they think its wear no cover but if as you say it was a stine and you have it listed your ok.

Was it on your own land?
    If not and was a stone farmer public liability will cover you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

The hardest working tractor on the farm. 1962 MF 35x. Will have rowed/tedded circa 200 acres for hay / silage by the end of the summer. Tedding usually done with a lely lotus, rowing with PZ haybob.

Delux seat & suntan comes as standard. Note the patented apparatus to stop grass getting wound around the PTO shaft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

jimmy G M wrote: »
    The hardest working tractor on the farm. 1962 MF 35x. Will have rowed/tedded circa 200 acres for hay / silage by the end of the summer. Tedding usually done with a lely lotus, rowing with PZ haybob.

Delux seat & suntan comes as standard. Note the patented apparatus to stop grass getting wound around the PTO shaft

http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/jimmyGM/media/image_zpsc538ee6a.jpg.html

Love it. Modern Massey in the background and the 35x flat put all summer. Ideal yoke for this weather, and light on the green too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Our 1990, mf 3090 packed up this evening while mowing. We thought it was the fuel filters, so changed them, bled it and she fired up. Only got 200 yards and she died again. A pipe must be drawing air some where. So we put on the 90hp mf3065 on the mower. She struggled but beggars can't be choosers. Lost an hour at it but at least the grass is ready for the contractor in the morning.
    These tractors owe us nothing tho, so I can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Set up a few paddocks in a 20 acre field today, going to turn 20 cows and calves into it in the morning. First time ever grazing paddocks here so will be interesting to see how it works. Grass is getting a bit strong so will probably cut half of it in a few weeks time. Left the paddocks about an acre in size.
    How're the paddocks working out redzer? Going on holidays on 1st and already figuring out the easiest way to manage the cattle while I'm away.
    Might take down a few fences so they only need to be moved once while I'm away. Still undecided :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

just do it wrote: »
    How're the paddocks working out redzer? Going on holidays on 1st and already figuring out the easiest way to manage the cattle while I'm away.
    Might take down a few fences so they only need to be moved once while I'm away. Still undecided :rolleyes:

Trying to do the same here JDI , going away 08 th and trying to figure out how to leave it idiot proof, other worry is water shortages, what happens if council turn off water,

I'm thirsty! 6 autumn calvers without water since 7am! I'll have to wait until they're finished or God only knows where the trough could end up :rolleyes:
    wzi3.jpg

While I'm waiting..., here are two springers due in September. Both by OMA and turning 2yo around now.
    mow1.jpg

o8er.jpg

qzel.jpg

zfzq.jpg

And the third springer with a maternal rating >200
    7bxw.jpg

Edit: By ELZ out of a SIM cow.
    4me6.jpg

17 minutes and they're done :)
    gn7l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm thirsty! 6 autumn calvers without water since 7am! I'll have to wait until they're finished or God only knows where the trough could end up :rolleyes:
    wzi3.jpg

I see you there dog.......

The white one looks to be fairly heavy is she?
    Lovely stock though jdi:)

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I see you there dog.......

The white one looks to be fairly heavy is she?
    Lovely stock though jdi:)

Springers all due within 3 weeks of 16th Sept. She looks like she's been washed in Daz in that photo!

Edited posts above to include icbf figures.......for anyone that's interested ;)

Springers all due within 3 weeks of 16th Sept. She looks like she's been washed in Daz in that photo!

Bought in or home bred JDI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

The first ever round bales of hay on our farm, usually weather and storage dont allow. This was taken off rough pasture ground that was too wet to graze earlier. They're a bit frazzled looking because they were sitting in the field for 2 weeks and the netter was acting the maggot in the baler. Nevertheless they will be ideal for drying off the suckler cows at housing/weaning.
    a8yz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hugo29 wrote: »
    Bought in or home bred JDI

Home bred

Home bred

Nice animals, what age you calving them down at

hugo29 wrote: »
    Nice animals, what age you calving them down at
    They'll be 26mo. Not concerned about them, they're plenty big enough. This group will be going on restricted diet in a fortnight's time when they're 6 weeks away from calving.

They'll be 26mo. Not concerned about them, they're plenty big enough. This group will be going on restricted diet in a fortnight's time when they're 6 weeks away from calving.

They be fine, good stock, am intending on buying a few simx weanling heifers this back end for bulling, and hope to calve them down at 24- 28 months
    Good to see it working,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Don't even think of welding it without stripping it. Any heat near gears will destroy them or any bearing and bearing seals. Heat distortion could warp the bed as well.

Going to be a big job.

• Advertisement

We put nine in calf to part ourselves here. 8 calved, 7 bulls and 1 heifer so far. The heifer is a heifers calf and the dam has no milk so probably not one for keeping anyhow.

We are extremely disappointed with the standard of the part calves. They are all after BZB (Bolide) and from good cows. I'll be in no hurry to use them again either.
    Fine stock JP. Hope mine turn out nearly as well.
    HI JH

These posts are from last November and I noted a few replies mentioning parts are poor until around 5 months and then take off. What has your experience been in the meantime?

Barron lad wrote: »
    how do you find the vulain bull for calving legwax ??
    leg wax wrote: »
    first calves will be due in feb so will let you know then.

You happy with your parts leg wax? (I know you've posted about them previously but I wasn't tuned into them at the time).

I've been looking through the icbf herdplus mag that came in the post yesterday and noticed in the table on breed averages for terminal and maternal/replacement index parts score well on both traits (on page 80 for anyone that got it). I'd have a concern veering away from the well known breeds as you mightn't have as many buyers from them at the ringside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

82 bales of hay in the kitty, Cut Thursday, Turned Friday and baled Saturday evening. Hard to believe it could be saved so fast!!

photo_zpsdb781873.jpg

photo_zps21b5aec4.jpg

photo_zps16c9c19f.jpg

photo_zps7d13b1d3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

82 bales of hay in the kitty, Cut Thursday, Turned Friday and baled Saturday evening. Hard to believe it could be saved so fast!!

those rakes are some job

Top notch limestone hay redzer. 2 days, that's the job

those rakes are some job

It leaves the field awful clean alright and saves a lot of mileage. pig of a thing on the road though, went out the coast road between fanore an ballyvaughan with it going back yesterday, thought I would never get back to the yard.

Top notch limestone hay redzer. 2 days, that's the job

Its lovely stuff alright, its all leaf thats in it, was the remainder of my paddocks that got too strong to graze and I had it sprayed earlier on in the year so no weeds either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Cut Thursday, Turned Friday and baled Saturday evening. Hard to believe it could be saved so fast!!

thats very green redzer, dont go moving them bales for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

82 bales of hay in the kitty, Cut Thursday, Turned Friday and baled Saturday evening. Hard to believe it could be saved so fast!

Jaysus Redz your the stanfit of hay!! Great machinery there and not a haybob in sight!!

• Advertisement

It was well fit, would have wrapped it if I was in any doubt about it. Will leave it out for a fortnight anyway.

Muckit wrote: »
    Jaysus Redz your the stanfit of hay!! Great machinery there and not a haybob in sight!!

I think the tedder is in a different league to the haybob to be honest muckit, Spreads it way more even and fluffy and it will pick up the sops stuck to the ground that a haybob wont. The rake will definatley pick up those sops too and you dont really want them inside in the middle of a bale of hay.

Ya haybobs are a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

there wont be any problem with them cause of the weather we got- i baled some second cut silage as hay- pure leaf and put into the shed 3hours after baling- no heating and a lovely smell in the yard

xvd1.jpg

great hay redzer-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

its been a very busy week-silage for the uncle at the start of week, scanning, made some more hay which i got baled this morning- this time last year there was a foot of water on the same ground
    mhko.jpg
    68mi.jpg

blanket spread 30 units nutri- booster as hadnt spread fert in 21days due to weather
    a86e.jpg

and finally got the nursery finished this week-life changer on the way shortly

zyuf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

You happy with your parts leg wax? (I know you've posted about them previously but I wasn't tuned into them at the time).

I've been looking through the icbf herdplus mag that came in the post yesterday and noticed in the table on breed averages for terminal and maternal/replacement index parts score well on both traits (on page 80 for anyone that got it). I'd have a concern veering away from the well known breeds as you mightn't have as many buyers from them at the ringside.
    yes i am happy with the calves, as with any stock bull ,he crossed great with some cows and bad with others, if the bad shaped calves were all heifers i would be very happy.

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    its been a very busy week-silage for the uncle at the start of week, scanning, made some more hay which i got baled this morning- this time last year there was a foot of water on the same ground
    mhko.jpg
    68mi.jpg

blanket spread 30 units nutri- booster as hadnt spread fert in 21days due to weather
    a86e.jpg

and finally got the nursery finished this week-life changer on the way shortly

zyuf.jpg

Stan you could be sleeping in there before the baby is,

Best of luck stan, it's a great life changer ;)

stanflt wrote: »
    there wont be any problem with them cause of the weather we got- i baled some second cut silage as hay- pure leaf and put into the shed 3hours after baling- no heating and a lovely smell in the yard

xvd1.jpg

great hay redzer-

grand putting them in that way with air having access all around them, Anytime I have shifted bales of hay from meadows they have being stacked 5 high on ends as I dont have time/space to be restacking or handling etc. Stack fresh green hay and you might as well notify the fire brigade. 12 to 14 days after hay getting stacked inside is the danger period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Best of luck with the new arrival. Hope all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

DSC_0001_zps944f1df9.jpg

Seriously productive dry spell. Rushes licked about 3 weeks ago, slurry out on top on friday and mole ploughing done yesterday. It's a bit rough. I brough up sod in places. I think I was driving too fast. Lesson learned.

DSC_0005_zps4d04c34b.jpg

This was the weapon. R & M's finest!

DSC_0006_zps69ca8989.jpg

The leg and mole.

Happy camper. It should make some difference to the land when the wet weather comes again.

• Advertisement

DSC_0002_zps6a33ef52.jpg

One of my bulls. Feeding him for slaughter rather than breeding.

DSC_0003_zpse8e30fa7.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsf47261d3.jpg

Heifer off a black limousin cow and Millbrook Tanko. She's in calf to THZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

reilig wrote: »
    DSC_0001_zps944f1df9.jpg

Seriously productive dry spell. Rushes licked about 3 weeks ago, slurry out on top on friday and mole ploughing done yesterday. It's a bit rough. I brough up sod in places. I think I was driving too fast. Lesson learned.

DSC_0005_zps4d04c34b.jpg

This was the weapon. R & M's finest!

DSC_0006_zps69ca8989.jpg

The leg and mole.

Happy camper. It should make some difference to the land when the wet weather comes again.

Hey reilig what you use to pull the mole plough and roughly what depth were you at

Hey reilig what you use to pull the mole plough and roughly what depth were you at

15 inches pulled by 97 HP New Holland

Anyone spot anything strange, photo take a little bit ago, before the sun came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone spot anything strange, photo take a little bit ago, before the sun came out

Time to build up our zombie cow protection?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

It's that odd that I'm a little afraid to post it! Are we both looking at the LHS of the pic? Maybe i'm seeing things:P

The MF and the wagon was the weapon of choice yesterday. and the other pic is the results

Was the wagon able to back up with it?? or how did you buck up?

Muckit wrote: »
    Was the wagon able to back up with it?? or how did you buck up?

I filled it from the back with our own loader, a 1987 MF50ex.The back wall is 8ft high and the landing area is off the top of this. And my dad rolled it with the tractor as it was coming in. We always pack wagon stuff with an extra tractor. The contractors MF is some animal, 220hp.

I filled it from the back with our own loader, a 1987 MF50ex.The back wall is 8ft high and the landing area is off the top of this. And my dad rolled it with the tractor as it was coming in. We always pack wagon stuff with an extra tractor. The contractors MF is some animal, 220hp.
    I was just about to ask if he was looking for a good driver :D I'd say there's some purr off it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement