Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Anyone spot anything strange, photo take a little bit ago, before the sun came out

8 if them are grazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I was just about to ask if he was looking for a good driver :D I'd say there's some purr off it!

He drives it himself if the self propelled unit isn't out. There's some gurgle off her with a full load on, she'd be under no pressure at all. My fiancé (who is a townie) doesn't get the fascination I have for this sort gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Odelay wrote: »
    It's that odd that I'm a little afraid to post it! Are we both looking at the LHS of the pic? Maybe i'm seeing things:P
    You were exactly like myself when I took that photo. I saw nothing.
    delaval wrote: »
    8 if them are grazing

your nearly right with the number. Picture was taken about 2 to 3 days before I noticed something was up that bunch as they were inhibited with IBR infection. I have often fought IBR in the past but nothing like this time and especially given the temperatures. I lost 6 so far of that bunch of 30 and will loose another 1 if not 2 from the bunch. Around 70% of my cattle would be vaccinate for IBR but usually the young ones outside I dont do. Costly cost saving as it turns out. There is no better way to learn a lesson than being hit in the pocket:). Just goes to show how potent IBR can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

You were exactly like myself when I took that photo. I saw nothing.

your nearly right with the number. Picture was taken about 2 to 3 days before I noticed something was up that bunch as they were inhibited with IBR infection. I have often fought IBR in the past but nothing like this time and especially given the temperatures. I lost 6 so far of that bunch of 30 and will loose another 1 if not 2 from the bunch. Around 70% of my cattle would be vaccinate for IBR but usually the young ones outside I dont do. Costly cost saving as it turns out. There is no better way to learn a lesson than being hit in the pocket:). Just goes to show how potent IBR can be.

Did you treat the intransally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

reilig wrote: »
    Seriously productive dry spell. Rushes licked about 3 weeks ago, slurry out on top on friday and mole ploughing done yesterday. It's a bit rough. I brough up sod in places. I think I was driving too fast. Lesson learned.

Happy camper. It should make some difference to the land when the wet weather comes again.

Great work there reilig. That land looks familiar i.e poached wet land! Seems like you got a great kill with the licker and perfect weather for the mole plough. You have a nice slope down to a trench?

What's the management plan with it now? Roll with ring roller when it softens a bit again, fertiliser etc?

Rush licker coming to me this week, just sorry I didn't get him a few weeks ago although I was plenty busy with other jobs to be done. Rome wasn't built in a day!

delaval wrote: »
    Did you treat the intransally?

came so quick that we split up what looked perfect and what looked in trouble. so had 20 okay and 10 showing signs of dullness etc. all that died were from the 10 group, vaccination was going to be too late so just started treating and soon stopped as we were at nothing. Lead time. 2 im treating at the moment were vaccinated 3 weeks ago after initial outbreak

Anyone spot anything strange, photo take a little bit ago, before the sun came out
    Grass;)

Bob

Have now read the subsequent posts. IBR - do you think it's an issue for you because you buy in stock? I've never given a respiratory vaccine as it's practically a closed herd, low stocking rate and open sided slatted shed has good ventilation.

just do it wrote: »
    Bob

Have now read the subsequent posts. IBR - do you think it's an issue for you because you buy in stock? I've never given a respiratory vaccine as it's practically a closed herd, low stocking rate and open sided slatted shed has good ventilation.

Its usually easy to pinpoint where a problem come from, but this was a strange one as most of those animals were on farm around 2 months with a few later. all stayed in the one bunch and thankfully problems were confined to that bunch. when cattle are out in a field they would be lowly stocked compared to a shed and max ventilation. Imagine if this happened indoors how many would have gone. Im assuming that there was some animal within that bunch that was a latent infection and shedding a huge load of IBR and maybe not showing sickness herself. Closed herd should minimize the risk but then paddy next door could cause you problems. For the cost of the vaccine I think its madness not to do them, it was just laziness on my behalf and the "its never being a problem before" attitude.

• Advertisement

Its usually easy to pinpoint where a problem come from, but this was a strange one as most of those animals were on farm around 2 months with a few later. all stayed in the one bunch and thankfully problems were confined to that bunch. when cattle are out in a field they would be lowly stocked compared to a shed and max ventilation. Imagine if this happened indoors how many would have gone. Im assuming that there was some animal within that bunch that was a latent infection and shedding a huge load of IBR and maybe not showing sickness herself. Closed herd should minimize the risk but then paddy next door could cause you problems. For the cost of the vaccine I think its madness not to do them, it was just laziness on my behalf and the "its never being a problem before" attitude.

Any chance a BVD animal started it all off i.e. had it under control and then mucosal disease started to develop -> massive jump in IBR virus production -> outbreak? I suppose it possible, but you'll never know the exact cause.

All things being equal in a closed herd is vaccination necessary? Yes if you want to hedge your bets but what about if you're willing to take the hit when a particular virus enters your farm for the first time. Sure you'll have an outbreak and losses but over time herd immunity will build up and hopefully you've a herd with a subsequent better immunity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭jaymla627

came so quick that we split up what looked perfect and what looked in trouble. so had 20 okay and 10 showing signs of dullness etc. all that died were from the 10 group, vaccination was going to be too late so just started treating and soon stopped as we were at nothing. Lead time. 2 im treating at the moment were vaccinated 3 weeks ago after initial outbreak

What drugs where you using zactran/draxin are the only two id rate in trying to treat ibr, cost yeah a pretty penny though....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 orchardfarmer

another before and after - hacked thru 2 acres of these at the weekend, managed to get them burnt last nite, most dense ive cut yet, hadnt been cut in 25 years, international was at her limits getting through them. just wait til the shoots come up and blast them with roundup
    didnt make any new friends with all the smoke!!:eek:
    rushesbefore2_zpsd6de1f2f.jpg
    Rushesbefore_zps908ff867.jpg
    rushesafter_zps9dd268e3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'I hopefully have great grass come on after this ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 orchardfarmer

Muckit wrote: »
    You'I hopefully have great grass come on after this ;)
    needs a bit of drainage done first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Feckin southern rain dancers. Hope ye get flooded out just like we did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Jaysus, you're not that far from me and it's still bone dry here!:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

rushesbefore2_zpsd6de1f2f.jpg
    Rushesbefore_zps908ff867.jpg
    rushesafter_zps9dd268e3.jpg[/QUOTE]
    would ya not gather rushes into heaps before burning??...far less ground gets damaged from fire......burnt areas wont grow anything at all until next spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Is that today mother of jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Wouldnt be surprised if we get the same here tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Are you trying to tease us with a photo like that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

nashmach wrote: »
    Are you trying to tease us with a photo like that! :)

Go away out of that.

Turn off the tap now please. We have enough. ground is wet again. We had rain all night! The only upside is that our water main is flowing again - and that's a bad sign of the weather!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

wtf , we still dry here too

hugo29 wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Lashed rain with us all night . Not complaining ground needed it , just once it fecks off now for a while:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Moved the cows last night and when all heads were down grazing it gave me the chance to tar the heifers. nothing like an ai glove and the smell of stockholm tar on a good evening to feel like summer.

Moved the cows last night and when all heads were down grazing it gave me the chance to tar the heifers. nothing like an ai glove and the smell of stockholm tar on a good evening to feel like summer.
    Looked at the photo. Where on the animals did you apply the tar?:confused:

Their arses is my guess :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

The red heifer in the middle has some on her elder anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i put it on their udders, its to keep flies away and prevent mastitis

? on their udders obviously and on inside of their legs. Ddin't do the heifer calves in the fore of the pic but the bigger heifer in the middle can see it on her elder and legs..

? on their udders obviously and on inside of their legs. Ddin't do the heifer calves in the fore of the pic but the bigger heifer in the middle can see it on her elder and legs..

You must have quiet heifers! I think if I tried that in the field there would be no more JDI on boards.ie

Some smashing looking stock by the way. Are any purebred?

You must have quiet heifers! I think if I tried that in the field there would be no more JDI on boards.ie

its all in the stroke JDI, rub it right and she wont kick;)

its all in the stroke JDI, rub it right and she wont kick;)

LOL

my oul lads never away from the stock to be honest always walking through them and petting them, but yes all our cattle are very quiet which is a good selling point for all the pb bulls. Anything that was ever flighty got the hook - he nearly got killed by a cow that calved in a pen and he hopped in to spray its navel and doesnt remember anything after that, only we think the dog went in to attack the cow and he's somehow scrambled out.
    that was the wake up call to no more wild cattle here no matter how good a calf they produced.
    All Pb except the black heifer that was a friesans calf, she was bought when we lost a cow in the calving and double sucked anything that was a twin.

you should swap usernames with teat squeezer - its all about a slow massage to get the right result;)

my oul lads never away from the stock to be honest always walking through them and petting them, but yes all our cattle are very quiet which is a good selling point for all the pb bulls. Anything that was ever flighty got the hook - he nearly got killed by a cow that calved in a pen and he hopped in to spray its navel and doesnt remember anything after that, only we think the dog went in to attack the cow and he's somehow scrambled out.
    that was the wake up call to no more wild cattle here no matter how good a calf they produced.
    All Pb except the black heifer that was a friesans calf, she was bought when we lost a cow in the calving and double sucked anything that was a twin.
    Familiar story here. I'd a close call a few years ago and that Autumn culled 4 cows purely based on poor docility. Otherwise they were great sucklers, but they're not much use to you if your 6ft under. Important to walk through them as much as you can and lay a hand on them when you can. It all helps.
    you should swap usernames with teat squeezer - its all about a slow massage to get the right result;)
    LOL again, didn't see that one coming tagged on at the end as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Moving the fence wire last night and nearly stepped on this little lad .moved it to the headland hopefully mammy will take it from there.
    It's a hare by the way.....AFE7C30E-73A9-4A86-82E3-4F6D1A030F5F-1137-000001DCA13E995F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

jerdee wrote: »
    Moving the fence wire last night and nearly stepped on this little lad .moved it to the headland hopefully mammy will take it from there.AFE7C30E-73A9-4A86-82E3-4F6D1A030F5F-1137-000001DCA13E995F.jpg

Tag it, and feed it. Send it to the abbatoir as beef animal. If horse meat is ok in a beef burger, why would'nt bunny meat be ok:rolleyes:
    I'd say he would grade U:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Moving the fence wire last night and nearly stepped on this little lad .moved it to the headland hopefully mammy will take it from there.AFE7C30E-73A9-4A86-82E3-4F6D1A030F5F-1137-000001DCA13E995F.jpg

You can pull a hair/hare out of your arse but you cant pull a rabbit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

You can pull a hair/hare out of your arse but you cant pull a rabbit :D

Marmalade and jam

quadboy wrote: »
    Marmalade and jam

now that you will have to explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

now that you will have to explain

Not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

send it to http://www.broadsheet.ie/ they love this kinda stuff
    its a dublin based website its quite good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Familiar story here. I'd a close call a few years ago and that Autumn culled 4 cows purely based on poor docility. Otherwise they were great sucklers, but they're not much use to you if your 6ft under. Important to walk through them as much as you can and lay a hand on them when you can. It all helps.

LOL again, didn't see that one coming tagged on at the end as it is.

yeah same here, culled a few dangerous BB's a few years ago. always wary when we are injecting teh new borns and sraying the navel, even the quitest cow could pin ya after calving. have had a few close escapes so try to seprate them when ever possible. have a gate in the calving pen that we use to get eh cow int the skulling gate if need be, also handy when i want her to keep her distance.

we walk them a couple of times a day and they are well used to people (and the dogs). same with the bull try to make sure i know excatly where he is as if wanted to he could make mincemeat of me very quickly. makes a huge difference if your cattle are used to you, have been to places where the catle are only herded from time to time and only looked at from the gate (or car) and then the go nuts when they brought into the yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

!cid_cidImage_P__A36F.jpg
    kyr taking a stretch in the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leg wax wrote: »
    !cid_cidImage_P__A36F.jpg
    kyr taking a stretch in the sun

How would you rate KYR compared to STQ? I used STQ myself this year and found him a far better bull than FHZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Tis a grand sight, regrowth has jumped out of the ground since being cut last Thursday.

photo_zps1cc76696.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pakalasa wrote: »
    How would you rate KYR compared to STQ? I used STQ myself this year and found him a far better bull than FHZ.
    i wont be using him again , had some big bulls and lost 1 got stuck at the hips.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement