Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard poodles in Ireland

• 18-03-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Can they be gotten and does anybody know of any reputible breeders?? There seems to be alot of toy poodles but no standard. And while I'm at it, does anybody have any experience with them i.e. with kids and what is the temperment really like..Just seems like there's alot of oodle this and that out there and seeing a standard poodle is a rareity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

No links to donedeal ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes there are standard poodles on ireland. There wouldnt be a huge amount of them though and you could be waiting a long time for a puppy as waiting lists would be long as not many puppies come around too often.
    Contact the breed club and get some advice from them about breeders and puppies.
    I cant access the IKC site at the moment to give you the contact for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

gregers85 wrote: »
    go onto to www.donedeal.ie and search standard poodle theres two adverts on there at the moment one in laois and one in limerick!!

Please dont do this, stay well away from this site if you are looking for a pedigree dog. Its full of puppy farmers and byb's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

There is one poodle club on www.ikc.ie

Poodle Club of Ireland
    Mrs. R. McCabe
    9 Towerview Heights, Portrane, Co. Dublin.
    (01-8435478) Email: kissena@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 araknie

No advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

dont think your allowed to ad dogs for sale on this site

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dont think your allowed to ad dogs for sale on this site

Thats back seat moderating.

Report the post but please dont reply.

Yellow carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lydiabehan

Hi OP,

I have a 7 month old Standard Poodle. We got her 3 months ago after our 15 year old border collie had to be put down at the start of the year. I was very skeptical of getting a poodle as I thought they were a bit prissy, but mum insisted and as the last dog was mine and my dad's choice, she got her way.

The dog, Baliw (pronounced Baloo - it's philipino for crazy) is lovely. She's very intelligent (she learns games and commands after only a few repetitions) so we're constantly thinking of ways to keep her busy. She has loads of energy so we walk her three times a day and then play in the garden.

She's been brilliant with everyone she's met so far. I've introduced her to a few young kids that I know and she's been a dream with them. As with all dogs though, I'd recommend you supervise them with any young kids, regardless of breed. She's already 15kg, very strong and excitable which means she can easily knock a child over.

One major difference that we've noticed after having a house covered in dog hair is that she doesn't shed at all and doesn't have that typical dog smell (nice for visitors who don't want to smell like our dog when they leave!). However, this means that you have to groom them a lot. We got her groomed two weeks ago and can't get over how much her hair has grown since then. She'll have to be groomed every six to eight weeks probably.

If you have any other questions, let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I only know 1 standard poodle and he's an absolute gem! Great with people and other dogs, he's laid back but loves his walks and makes me laugh with his antics whenever I meet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 araknie

araknie wrote: »
    No advertising.
    Sorry just to say then that Poodles are great.... just wanted to give some people the chance of owning one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Breffni2012

photo.php?fbid=1742356202163&set=a.1017205993861.2002711.1336453071&type=3&theaterHi,
    I am new to this forum.
    I am the proud owner of a red standard poodle called ZHARA. She is 4 years old and to answer your question:
    For: they make fantastic pets, very calm unlike the other type of poodles.
    good with children, very sociable with dogs(cats not so good, but this may just be Zhara) excellent companions, very affectionate. excellent alarm bell, no one comes close to the front door without you knowing about it but not aggressive, just they way to say " mum, someone's at the door.
    Against: Very stuborn, expensive grooming, needs daily brushing. The fur is slightly different to the other type of poodle, more woolly, so needs to brush it often to avoid knots which results to the groomer having to shave the coat very short. large poodle do not suit very short coat.

<MOD SNIP> No Advertising/seeking studs

• Registered Users Posts: 1 poodler

Can they be gotten and does anybody know of any reputible breeders?? There seems to be alot of toy poodles but no standard. And while I'm at it, does anybody have any experience with them i.e. with kids and what is the temperment really like..Just seems like there's alot of oodle this and that out there and seeing a standard poodle is a rareity.

I own a black standard Poodle. I got him around march last year. Simply wonderful dog. Went through a bit of a naughty stage with him a while back, but in saying that it was nothing outside the norm.

Wonderful with children, wonderful with other dogs, fantastic guard dog and a great mate for me. Affectionate and loyal. They need daily walks, and not just a walk around the block either.

If they are not exercised you can say bye bye to everything you own, and I mean everything. Kitchen tables and chairs are a delicacy, shoes feature high up on the menu. Especially anything worth in excess of €100. These guys will walk past a tasty set of rubber sandals to get to your favorite nikes, and look at you as if to say, "its only business, nothing personal". They can also hear fridge doors open under water.

Couple of negatives:

The boy is stubborn, knows well how to sit when he's about to get some chicken breast, otherwise likes to take his time thinking about whether or not he should bother to do as you say. Its funny to see this obstinate streak in him, but worthy to note.

The boy will nibble on his own ****e, so watch out when he burps, you might pass out if your in the vicinity. We had a standard in Australia when I was a kid, did the same thing, no matter what we fed him. This chap is no different. Wormed regularly, fed correctly, however still likes his own ****e. Knows its wrong, looks awful guilty when he does it, but does it anyway. No shame.

If the coat is in any way long, daily grooming is required. All standard owners have different notions on clipping. My fella is KC registered and his line is show standard, but I clip him myself as there will be no dog shows for him. The show at home is interesting enough.

He is around me 24/7. In the ten months or so I have had him he has never once growled or barked in any way that would indicate any aggression.

You want a dog that wants a family? get a Standard Pooodle. They love being part of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

I have standard poodles, white, I got one from the UK and one From Sweden, they have been health tested and are not way inbred, I think that some people think they are all like that, but with careful selection and health testing you can be pretty much as assured as you can, I have a litter at the moment and they have been checked at the vet, he said they were all great and well proportioned, no runt of the litter etc, they were all pretty much the same.
    If you have any questions on poodle health issues, please feel free to go to the poodle club of Ireland site and you can ask questions to the secretary Rose Mc Cabe. I hope this helps you poodle lovers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Closing this thread as it's ancient.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement