Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found A Dog....Pls Tell Me What Now???

• 18-03-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

I'm living in Donabate and I was walking my dog on the beach at 11am and came across another dog wandering. Cross breed, bit of GS there I think. I'd say about ten months old. So gorgeous. Anyways she was parched so got her water but I had to go so I just left her and felt bloody awful.

So went back to the beach at 6pm and the poor dog was still walking the length of the beach looking exhausted at this stage so I've brought her home with me. Shes drunk lots of water but won't eat. I only have dry kibble for adults, James Wellbeloved, would a young dog not like this?

So I'm gonna get her scanned in the vets tomorow and if no luck what do I do then? I've a dog and she isn't into other dogs so I'm gonna have a tough night tonight. So pls tell me what sites I can look at in case there is an owner out there. I've a feeling she was dumped though. What are the chances y'know.

Ahhh shes fast asleep now in my dogs bed. Shes actually gorgeous :)

Comments

Aw no the poor baby :(
    I don't know what else to suggest except the vet and maybe see if the vet can recommend any local shelters that won't put dogs to sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

If no luck at the vets and she's not chipped, I suggest you bring her to the Dog's Trust centre in finglas or a similar rescue centre. Dog's Trust don't put down any dogs and would hopefully be able to rehome her if you couldn't do it yourself. They're a great charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Dogs Trust don't take in dogs from the public. Only from rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

Contact your nearest ISPCA. They have a website as far as I know, on which you can post a photo of the dog you found - there's a chance the owner may be looking for her.
    I would also put a photo or notice in your local vets office, and also in the rescue shelter. And consider an add on the local radio, or an add on the missing pets website. If you google it you should be able to find it.
    I was in the same situation as you at Christmas, and had a very busy month with two dogs not getting along. Thank God the story had a happy ending and even though I did not find the owner, I was lucky to hear of an elderly couple who were looking for a little dog, and it all worked out. So good luck! You are doing a good thing for the poor dog.
    If you cannot find the websites I suggested please contact me and I will try to find them again for you.
    Lucy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

GO TO ALL THE PETSHOPS AND STICK UP A SIGN. THEY'L BE MORE THAN HAPPY. AND IN VETS. USUALLY THE FIRST PLACE TO CHECK IS PETSHOPS BECAUSE THEY SEE SO MANY DOG LOVERS THAT WOULD TAKE NOTICE. GUMTREE OR DONE DEAL MAYBE BUT ONLINE YOU RUN THE RISK OF ...I DONT KNOW WHAT TO CALL THEM...LIARS?? **** just saw i'm in caps! please ignore...too long to rewrite!! hope you find her home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Post a photo and some info on www.lostdogs.ie, www.irishdogs.ie, www.irishanimals.ie.

Contact your local garda station, vets, boarding kennels in the area and the local pound - these are who I would contact if I lost my dogs. Also and put a few notices up in the local shops/pubs.

Well done for minding her

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

I was able to reunite the dog I found with the owner. I took a photo of the dog and I have a photo printer so was able to stick up a poster in the local supermarket which the owner saw. I'm so pleased that the dog is back where he belongs.

But the attitude of the owner was unreal. They didn't even seem to care. No regret at all and didn't feel bad that the dog had been basically lost for the few days. I said please get an ID tag but it probably fell on deaf ears. Its just so upsetting and obviously it will happen again. Thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Lucyx wrote: »
    I was able to reunite the dog I found with the owner. I took a photo of the dog and I have a photo printer so was able to stick up a poster in the local supermarket which the owner saw. I'm so pleased that the dog is back where he belongs.

But the attitude of the owner was unreal. They didn't even seem to care. No regret at all and didn't feel bad that the dog had been basically lost for the few days. I said please get an ID tag but it probably fell on deaf ears. Its just so upsetting and obviously it will happen again. Thats for sure.

I know, it can be very frustrating. Once when I was walking my dog on the beach with my friend. There was a huge sort of semi-circular stone thing and the dog walked into it. The ends of it were facing the tide. Anyway the tide came in and the dog dog trapped because it could not swim out (it was 13 years old!) The dog was barking lots to get peoples attention and a kind man jumped into the 2thing" to get it. He lifted it out and I said I would bring the dog home and try to find the owner. So off to UCD (only vet open on a Sunday) to check for a microchip. The dog had no microchip but had a collar(without ID tag:rolleyes:). So I went home again and decided to stay at home with the dog even thought I had planned to go to a Leinster rugby match. I decided to go for a walk with my dog and the other one. Someone I met I told the story and they said they knew someone in the area with a similar dog. So we walked to their house and were told no thats not our dog but it could be someone else in the area. The same happened the 2nd time. But the 3rd time, someone answered the door and looked at the dog and said "oh, thanks" looking strangely at me. I told them the story and they didn't really listen at all and I'm convinced they didn't believe that the dog was trapped. So I left the house feeling glad I had helped the dog, but frustrated with the owner.

Turns out the 13 year dog is still let out every to walk to the beach on its own every day...

Advertisement