Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer switch and lamps issue- no fuses?

Options
  • 18-03-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have a dimmer switch inside the living room door, with two knobs controlling the level of light for two lamps, which are connected to dedicated sockets in the the room.

However now neither of those lamps will turn on now.
    - I have tried to change the bulbs
    - I opened the plugs for the lamps, but they are triangular in shape and have no fuses inside- so not a plug/fuse issue

Anyone know what has gone wrong and what I need to do? Would rather do this myself and not have to get electrician!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dimmer could be fried. If you have a multi meter check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Check the board for trippedc fusses, what kind of bulbs do you have in the lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

the switches on the main fuse board are fine as none have tripped- and the other ceiling lights in that room work.

so yes maybe the dimmer switch itself is dead? I don't have a way to test this, so it is looking like time to call the sparks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You didn't change the bulbs by any chance? If one of them popped it could take out the switch-but this is unlikely as they're both on seperate gangs, which means in effect you have two switches in one.

I'd imagine it may be as simple as a connection having worked loose-if nothing else has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Has anything else been changed in the house?? Eg another light fitting or switch.

As both aren't working I would guess the permanent live going to the dimmer is faulty or the neutral return is broken.

I think you'll need an electrician to sort this one, but should be easy enough...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They usually use 5amp BS546 (old-style round pin) plugs for centrally switch-controlled lamps. They do not have fuses. The lamps are only likely to be on a 6A or 10A circuit so it's not a problem.

You didn't by any chance put in energy saving bulbs? These are often umdimmable.

Advertisement