Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

copying programmes from an old laptop to a new one

• 18-03-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I bought a new laptop today. I need to copy the old programmes into the new one. I've tried copying and pasting programmes in Drive(c)to my external hard drive. But this doesn't work. I really don't know what I'm doing. Is there anyone in the Edenmore area of Dublin who is qualified with computers and won't rip me off?:( the african guy in Moors St. want €25 for this five or ten minute job!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

To be honest, this is not a 5/10 minute job.
    At minimum it would take about 30 minutes to an hour (depending on the size and amounts of apps) - and at that if your lucky.

Windows programmes install all over the place on your hard-drive.
    The bulk goes to a folder in the c:\programme files directory but some also go to the windows/system directory and/or the windows/system32 directory besides installing code into the windows registry.

It can get to be a very messy job indeed to he honest.
    What applications (if you can say openly) are you trying to re-install elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

It is not a straight forward copy and paste. So I don't know where you are getting your 5-10 minute job from..

Most off the shelf programs add information to your system registry i.e. a license key and additional information. That is why you cannot just copy and paste from the \Program Files\ directory.

Exactly what programs do you want transferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sig53

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    It is not a straight forward copy and paste. So I don't know where you are getting your 5-10 minute job from..

Most off the shelf programs add information to your system registry i.e. a license key and additional information. That is why you cannot just copy and paste from the \Program Files\ directory.

Exactly what programs do you want transferred?

The guy in Moors Street told me it was simple as copy and paste. When I do this, it starts to transfer programmes to my ex. hard drive, but then something stops the transfer. after all, I probably copying the harddrive to the harddrive!! It too complicated for me who am self taught. "What programs do I want to transferr"?. Well I don't see Microsoft Word on the new laptop. then I want "microsoft Picture it! Publishing 2001" which I use all the time for making greeting cards etc. "Dvd shrink", "dvd decrypter", "nero", "microsoft encarta". that's probably it.

For some apps you might need to transfer the entire Windows install over. This isn't an easy job by any means.

Karsini wrote: »
    For some apps you might need to transfer the entire Windows install over. This isn't an easy job by any means.

so I guess this guy in Moor's St is not so expensive after all! The chinese computer repair Moor's st. said he didn't know how to do it! I went into another chinese guy who does the mobile phones in Moors street just ask a question, and he also said it was easy but said something about a set-up file!

• Advertisement

sig53 wrote: »
    so I guess this guy in Moor's St is not so expensive after all! The chinese computer repair Moor's st. said he didn't know how to do it! I went into another chinese guy who does the mobile phones in Moors street just ask a question, and he also said it was easy but said something about a set-up file!
    Trust me - it is NOT easy.
    (what they might actually do is go to a site where warez (technically illegal downloadable software) can be got, download it and install it (the set-up file) from there.)
    There is no cloning/copying of software across except for data files which you might have created/saved yourself (like word documents, etc)

Remember: some will tell you want you'd like to hear, just get the money/business!
    Don't forget, once they have your laptop, to a certain extent, they can charge you what they like - till you cough up what they later then say you owe them - and only then you get it back!

"O' the job (copying your application across supposedly!) turned out to be bigger that I thought it would be..." etc...

There is a reason they are on Moore street in fairness. If they were highly qualified IT engineers they would be working in the IT industry and not some shoddy shop in town.

Ok, if you think about it.. If you could copy and paste, let's say Microsoft Word from the Program Files to an external hard-drive. Could you imagine how easy that would be for everyone to do.. So for that reason Microsoft and any other software provider embed their applications as much as possible into the installed operating system.

If you have legitimate versions of the software you mentioned then you should have disks to go with them.

FYI:
    Nero have a free version (Nero Burnlite 10) now as Windows 7 seems to be moving in on their territory.

DvdDecrypter

DvdShrink

*EDIT

I bet anything that the guy that said he can do it. Will download the free versions I listed above and when it comes to Microsoft Office etc he will put a pirate copy on.

My crystal ball is telling me that we will see a thread here in a couple of weeks from OP "Why am I getting the MS Office is not genuine..."

There is a reason they are on Moore street in fairness. If they were highly qualified IT engineers they would be working in the IT industry and not some shoddy shop in town.

Ok, if you think about it.. If you could copy and paste, let's say Microsoft Word from the Program Files to an external hard-drive. Could you imagine how easy that would be for everyone to do.. So for that reason Microsoft and any other software provider embed their applications as much as possible into the installed operating system.

If you have legitimate versions of the software you mentioned then you should have disks to go with them.

FYI:
    Nero have a free version (Nero Burnlite 10) now as Windows 7 seems to be moving in on their territory.

DvdDecrypter

DvdShrink

*EDIT

I bet anything that the guy that said he can do it. Will download the free versions I listed above and when it comes to Microsoft Office etc he will put a pirate copy on.
    To complicated for me Sean! OK, you have given me links to decrypter and shrink and nero. but what will I do without Picture it? Publishing 2001. I have five discs for the different greeting card images, but I don't have a download disc! The last time I had an old pc, a guy in Mayo transferred this programme to my present lap top. I'll miss this programme more than anything because i even use it for reducing the pixel on images. I know like the back of my hand.

ehhh... right...

Is it Windows 7 you have now yeah.. ? Does this look like it will work:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/videos/Make-a-greeting-card-using-Paint

I never normally recommend MS Paint but the new version might just do what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Can I suggest you make a virtual machine (VM) of your old laptop.

Do this by running program on your old laptop to basically copy everything and make a VM. This can be downloaded free-of-charge from VMWare website:
    Converter Standalone 4. This will probably take several hours, depending on your old laptop's disk size.

On new laptop, install VMWare player:
    Download VMWare Player here. Copy VM file from old laptop et volia!

Several step-by-step guides are available on the' net. Found this very useful to get running straight away, until software installed on new laptop.

HTH

• Advertisement

ehhh... right...

Is it Windows 7 you have now yeah.. ? Does this look like it will work:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/videos/Make-a-greeting-card-using-Paint

I never normally recommend MS Paint but the new version might just do what you're looking for.

This programme doesn't look familiar! but I've taken note of the site. perhaps it will work. it's just had to part with an old friend "microsoft picture it? publishing" , when you've used it as an artist almost daily for over ten years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

"IT Engineer" refers to a hack. It's not a legally recognised term. There is no such thing as an IT Engineer. It's fraud to misappropiate yourself as an engineer without actually holding the correct credentials.

Zilog wrote: »

Do this by running program on your old laptop to basically copy everything and make a VM. This can be downloaded free-of-charge from VMWare website:
    Converter Standalone 4. This will probably take several hours, depending on your old laptop's disk size.

Several step-by-step guides are available on the' net. Found this very useful to get running straight away, until software installed on new laptop.

HTH
    i've no more space in my old laptop hard drive, not even to download a movie. Anyway, many thanks for this. I've taken note of of the sites and your instruction. will work on it!
    sure wish all ye knowledgeable men were sitting beside me tonight!:confused:

Naikon wrote: »
    "IT Engineer" refers to a hack. It's not a legally recognised term. There is no such thing as an IT Engineer. It's fraud to misappropiate yourself as an engineer without actually holding the correct credentials.
    Come on, seriously Naikon... I was using it as a loosely phrased term. So the position "Software Engineer" posted on most recruitment web sites are fraudulent/misrepresentations.. ? :rolleyes:
    i've no more space in my old laptop hard drive, not even to download a movie. Anyway, many thanks for this. I've taken note of of the sites and your instruction. will work on it!
    sure wish all ye knowledgeable men were sitting beside me tonight!:confused:
    No worries, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

It might be an idea if the OP could specify which programs he wants "copied over" to his new machine. Clean installs are the best way to do this sort of thing. Is he using paid for commercial stuff like Micro$oft? Does he need Word etc. when Open Office is just as good and free?

As for the guys in Moore Street, keep away from there. It works out expensive in the end and annoying into the bargain (pun intended). You run the risk of losing all your files as these guys will not do backups before tampering with the machine. The standard is a re install and off you go!

A young friend of mine went to one of these merchants with a slow laptop. Firstly, it was running Vista on 1 gig of ram. Genius formatted the drive with all his work on it and installed Windows XP. Then the poor chap had to go back because the fecker did not load the drivers for sound, lan etc. He then went back again to have Vista reinstalled but without the serial and found that gem out after 30 days. Another trip back and got the serial no. He says that the tab was unreadable so did out Moore Street engineer work a miracle or simply get on to the manufacturer for a number? God alone knows!

Now if he had gone to a reputable technician he would have been advised to increase his ram and do a clean up, possibly backing up his important stuff to an external drive.

I have another small problem now with programmes in this new laptop.
    I have a perfectly good CANON i560 printer which i used with my old laptop, and i have the cd setup software. However, my new samsung windows 7 laptop doesn't recognise this setup software installation. I've tried google "canon i506" but I don't quite know what to do? Please can someone give me an exact link how I can download this software. when I install the setup disc, the computer says it is not compatable with windows 7 and it directs me to online link http://www.canon-europe.com/operating_system_drivers/index.aspx but where do i go from here? i still don't see where i download the software for canon i560 inkjet printer.:confused:

I have another small problem now with programmes in this new laptop.
    I have a perfectly good CANON i560 printer which i used with my old laptop, and i have the cd setup software. However, my new samsung windows 7 laptop doesn't recognise this setup software installation. I've tried google "canon i506" but I don't quite know what to do? Please can someone give me an exact link how I can download this software. when I install the setup disc, the computer says it is not compatable with windows 7 and it directs me to online link http://www.canon-europe.com/operating_system_drivers/index.aspx but where do i go from here? i still don't see where i download the software for canon i560 inkjet printer.:confused:

The file that you used to install the driver, have you tried right-clicking on it?
    Go down to the list you now see and at the bottom select "Properties".
    A new window will open consisting of five tabs.
    Select the one that says "Compatibility".
    ..Now see the box "Compatibility Mode?"
    ...Tick the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
    ....And from the list just below it, select the original version it DID work with.

Click "apply" and then click "OK"
    Try re-installing now.

This might or might not work - but its worth a try will you manage to find updated drivers - which maybe here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010001.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Zilog wrote: »

HTH
    This post appears to be the best solution to your problem OP.
    Mainly because of the issues you will have getting your software and printers (even if you can find the original install disk) to work with Win 7.

Either that or your try find other software (free) that does the same thing - theres lots of free software out there nowadays (a very good sticky topic in this forum outlines lots) that would most likely do what you need to do.

Also, this isnt a 10-15 minute job as others have outlined. Usually when one gets a new laptop the data (documents, movies, music, pictures) are easily copied over to it (Simple but alone it can take a while depending on home much data is there) but usually the software is reinstalled from scratch if the install disks are available.

The other option you have is "drive imaging" but to be honest the virtual machine option given above is far more convenient.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEnKA7tOXM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

• Advertisement
Advertisement