Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP PLEASE!

• 18-03-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hey all,i'm new to this forum but i would really appreciate any advice i can get! I have a lovely 8 month old terrier cross and for the last 6 months he's been the heart and soul of our home. We love him to bits and despite the usual puppy problems we've been lucky. But for the last couple of weeks he has ruined 2 couches and umpteen shoes and jackets! He has loads of chew toys of all descriptions but just ignores them constantly. I walk him 3 times a day and we play with him all the time so he isn't bored. But we have another baby due in 3 weeks and herself informed me tonight that if it doesn't stop soon,HE'S GONE! I don't want to let him go but we can't afford to let him keep going. Can anyone help me? I love our dog but priorities have to come first. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....thanks all...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I highly suggest a crate. Leave him in the crate anytime hes not being supervised and this will stop any unwanted chewing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

andreac wrote: »
    I highly suggest a crate. Leave him in the crate anytime hes not being supervised and this will stop any unwanted chewing etc.

i was thinking about it but thought he was to old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Never to old :)

I got a crate for my guy when he was 7, he loved it from the begining, it's his safe area :D

Crates are not just for puppies, they are for dogs of all ages and sizes. My 4 year old dog loves his crate:).

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

My dog is now 2 and we didn't crate train him til he was bout 6 months old and he loves it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I have 2 dogs here beside me in their crate......they are approx 10 and 12 years old and this year was their first introduction to a crate. The door is open but they are too snug inside snoring their little heads off to come out;)
    crates are the business, the dogs just seem to love them.

ppink wrote: »
    I have 2 dogs here beside me in their crate......they are approx 10 and 12 years old and this year was their first introduction to a crate. The door is open but they are too snug inside snoring their little heads off to come out;)
    crates are the business, the dogs just seem to love them.

Sounds familiar,:D my big male rottie loves going into his of his own accord and is in there at the moment snoring his head off, most dogs love crates, its like a little cosy den for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We retired Harleys small crate for a nice big one when he got too big. It recently came back out for little Phoenix. I've found Harley squashed into it a few times not. He's HUGE, it must be uncomfortable and he still climbs in for a snooze.

Phoe would have never been in a crate before we guess, but he loves it and took to it no problem.

Crates are BRILLIANT. I couldn't be without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thanks for the tips all. Got a crate today and he is already in it and he's conked out,snoring like a chainsaw so we'll see how the next few days go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Crates are brilliant! But also dont leave the toys down all the time,like a child they get bored with them. Only for an hour or two a day, also try rotate them so they get different toys every couple of days. Worked great with my little one:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement