Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance

• 18-03-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for advice on the best pet insurance for my dog. Doesn't have to be the cheapest so you advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MildredW

Hi,
    We are currently insured with Allianz. I have to say although they may not be the cheapest out there it has paid for itself over the last 2 years insured with them, 2 trips to the vets both costing over €600. When you do need to make a claim, they let you do this through your vets so you dont have to pay the money up front and then claim it back off the insurance company (which i know some of the other companies do).

Our policy is up for renewal next month and it has gone up by €3 every month (it had been increased by €4 the previous year) and they have upped the excess to €100 compared to the orginal €75 but as i have stated previously this is a small price to pay in my opinion for peace of mind and knowing that I wont have any hassle trying to make a claim also that my dog will get the best treatment should he need it.

I also read another suggestion that rather than paying an insurance company, people simply put the money they would be paying into a savings account *just in case* something may happen and you would then have this money should any problems arise. This is a great idea if you are in any way good at saving (this is not my strong point!!) because one year you may not have the need for any trips to the vet and you will have that money saved running into the next year. Hope this helps in some way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

+1 for Allianz, our vet suggested them to us and when we checked them up they were the best by far especially as we have a purebred German Shepard.

Shop around and see what best suits you... Make sure you read the fine print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Another +1 for Allianz. I sign the form, the vet sends it and the cheque comes a week or so later. My baba had an operation this year and it was €2000 and it was covered as well as other xrays and a cut paw during the year. The premium did increase a little but it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

thanks guys, i will get in touch with them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Allianz we used our limit up with them in the first year,easy to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have the same question; we're also with Allianz for our two dogs, and they seem to be 60 to 100 quid more a year than petinsurance.ie and 123.ie. The first one seems to be quite a competitive policy, so might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Has anyone any experience with 123.ie for pet insurance. the quote theyre giving me is €60 cheaper than allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

MildredW wrote: »
    Hi,
    We are currently insured with Allianz. I have to say although they may not be the cheapest out there it has paid for itself over the last 2 years insured with them, 2 trips to the vets both costing over €600. When you do need to make a claim, they let you do this through your vets so you dont have to pay the money up front and then claim it back off the insurance company (which i know some of the other companies do).

just worth mentioning - not all vets will actually allow this - I am lucky that my vets will put in the claim and the cheque goes directly to them, but a different vet I considered using wanted payment upfront which there was no way we could do - it depends on the vet rather than the insurance company (to the best of my knowledge, please correct me if I am wrong)

Our dog is on medication for life and it costs 100 every month so we couldn't have afforded this money each month upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 stuartthevet

I have my own Jack Russell insured with Allianz and have found them easy to deal with. Without wanting to comment on specific policies I would strongly advise everyone to read the small print on the policy and look for any broad exclusions; for example arthritis or skin disease (potentially the most expensive group of problems to deal with). Policies should be valid for the entire life of the insured animal and conditions arising while the animal is insured should not be excluded thereafter if you want the best value for money IMO.

Advertisement