Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DogsUnleashed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Chances, I know your frustration. And thank you for sympathising with RB owners (they are not banned btw, just restricted :))

You will find, now that you can't make your usual walk, that you might need to go further afield to find a woodland area for your dog to be allowed offlead. I have to say, much as I hate the laws surrounding my boys, because of them we have found some beautiful walks, where we never meet a soul, can swim, walk for hours, spot deer, frogs, large areas of wild flowers. Don't despair, just branch out. You'll find somewhere you'll love just as much and your dog will adore new surroundings. So exciting for them!

picture.php?albumid=1672&pictureid=6391

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dreadful situation indeed.

Blessed here with fields we are welcome to use; as long as I can keep to where the cattle are not. The farmer ( our landlord) is more laid back than we are; says the cows will not harm us. I tend to run them early as collie is a car chaser and even though there is a stream etc between us and the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

it is a shame really that all dogs, wheter Rb, or lap dogs, or working dogs lik collies etc, cant enjoy the run off lead in a seculded area such as woods or beachs without all general public having a go at owners or the breed. Just because people dont own dogs they dont understand them, In sayin that, there is always the few that own dogs an still dont understand dogs. an then there are people who are genuinly fearful of dogs, of which i can empthaize with but still the dogs shudnt be punished for the sake of a select few.

All dogs are rightfully entiltled to the land as much as people if not more. Its a shame that what little areas of freedom we as dog owners have to bring our dogs to meet an greet people an other dogs are been limited by sum peoples ignorance and selfishness.

we shudnt have to run off the beat track miles away form everyone to enjoy walking and excerising an bonding with our life long companions.

Correct me if im wrong but i think there is only like 1 or 2 actual dog parks that i no off an each of them are in the capital.. none of which are in other cities such as wexford, waterford or cork.

If the county board want safe places for people and dogs both to mix why dont they just supply the services that will cater for such. it will enable people and dogs alike to make new friends and maybe even build the community spirit without any great deal of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

Hahaha some of you Dog haters are going to hate me for this, but y'know, get a Dog yourselves or get a life!

unleashed.jpg

This was the first day this sign was put up on Killiney Beach and I thought fk this sht!

Same Day some fkr must have been watching and HURRIED over to me saying have you not seen the new sign and with the new by-law.
    I said what sign?
    He goes, I am authorised by the Coco (County Council) to issue an on the spot fine of 150 euros... to you for not having your Dogs on a Leash.
    I said what Dogs?
    He said them four there.
    I said, they're not my Dogs, they're just following me.
    He says, I heard you calling them.
    I said yes I did. They're lovely arnt they.
    He says, what's your name.
    I said Strum Strummer.
    He says, I'm serious.
    I says, I'm serious too. Check me out on facebook.
    He has a fekin notebook in his hand and writes down Strum Strummer and then asks me where I live.
    I live in Bono's House Lodge up on Kiliney Hill Road.
    He says, what's the address. I said I just told you. Bonos kip on the old Killiney Hill road.
    He writes that down.
    All the time the Dogs are just sitting there.
    I'll be issuing you a fine in the post.
    I said cool.

Point is folks. NOBODY, even the Cops cannot ask you for your name and address in a public place. You can just basically tell them to go fk themselves and the Cops will probably take you to the station where you DO have to give them your name and address, but only there in the Station. If it's not a Cop, just walk away.

The CoCo are NEVER going to be able to enforce this new by-law. NEVER! I'm a Rebel and I will fight it tooth and nail!

Trying to make a few quid out of Dog owners. What a cheek!

Just saying folks, if any arsehole comes at you waving a notebook in this situation, give them a false name and address, or just ignore them altogether as if they wern't there. What can they do? Seriously?
    Fk you Dun Laoghaire / Rathdown CoCo! A 12 mile stretch of Beach and my Dogs can't run loose? Yeah right!

Know your rights folks.

Woof! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well, that's great but they can also seize and remove any 'stray' dog they find on the beach, then what? :confused:

• Advertisement

Well, that's great but they can also seize and remove any 'stray' dog they find on the beach, then what? :confused:

Who can? "THEY" Some 25 year old bloke in a Red Jacket and a notebook who I think is employed as a blo*dy Lifeguard?
    Haha, I'd have a better chance of winning a Court case against him for harrassment than he could trying to prove I had my Dogs loose.

Chances wrote: »
    I've just signed the petition. I felt sick this weekend when I went to walk the dog in the nearby woods and noticed the newly placed KEEP DOGS ON LEASH signs everywhere. My dog and I love the woods. I feel I've been slapped in the face and denied the pleasure of a local amenity. We walk there on days when the rain is pouring down and there isn't another human being to be seen, as well as on the good days when half the town remembers the place. Anyway, I didn't put him on the lead. I let him enjoy his last walk in the woods, leadfree. There is no point bringing him there leashed. It would be like bringing a seven year old to an adventure park and expecting him to sit quietly by your side. Or as I remarked to a friend this evening, it would be like showing him the walk, but not letting him do the walk.
    He is a very energetic (likes to run but is not bouncy,) good mannered, border collie by the way, and has played his part as an ambassador for all dogs by quietly receiving the attention of dog crazy children on some occasions, and on others, allowing parents with frightened children to engage in a little hands on therapy.
    I am planning on writing a polite letter to Coillte, expressing my beliefs that while dogs should be under control, they need not necessarily be leashed. Until then I will walk him on the beach, where he is still entitled to have a good gallop. He’s OK about the beach. It’s an ok walk as far as he’s concerned, but he adores the woods which have been taken away from him now. I am beyond fed up now. I really enjoyed the wood for my own sake but also for his, as the enjoyment he got out of it really fed into mine.
    I feel for the people on the banned dogs list. Until this happened to me, I must confess I hadn’t given a lot of thought to their plight. And, I suppose as anecdotal evidence that a list of banned breeds is not the solution to the problem, the worst dog I have ever encountered in the woods was a Golden Retriever. Terrifying! Unleashed, aggressive, possibly insane, and completely out of control. However I’ve also met teenagers there who fit the same general description on one or two occasions and I’m not asking for a blanket ban on them. Most teenagers, like most dogs, are pretty decent.
    While I can understand and appreciate that some people can be frightened of them, dogs bring so much joy and well being to so many, and their needs for exercise and exploration cannot be met by leashed walks. Anyway, good luck with getting the required amount for your petition. I intend to ask around and see whether there is sufficient support for one in my area.

Lovely post! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Strum wrote: »
    NOBODY, even the Cops cannot ask you for your name and address in a public place. You can just basically tell them to go fk themselves and the Cops will probably take you to the station where you DO have to give them your name and address, but only there in the Station. If it's not a Cop, just walk away.

I think you'l find you really need to read up on the law, Gardai can ask you for your name and address in any Public Place (Section 24 of the Public Order Act) or if you would prefer (Common Law) both give Gardai power to ask you for your details, providing them with false details could possibly lead to you being arrested and then charged.. Gardai can ask you whatever they feel like asking you whenever and wherever you are. You do not exctly have to answer any question they ask but they can ask whatever they want!
    Telling the cops to go fk themselves wouldnt be advisable either, no doubt it will also end up with a second charge

I for one will not be trying your attempts, arrested and dogs seized, yeah great plan!! :rolleyes:

Ok, I only mentioned the Gardai to say that they are the only ones that are permitted to ask you personal details, and I was under the impression that you can deny that unless you are under arrest or on suspicion of something, and you must be taken to a Station first?

My point was that NOBODY has to give their personal details to a stranger with a notebook. And how is this individual going to impound four Dogs out in the middle of nowhere on a beach?
    And even if he magically could, how much will it cost the state to keep my Dogs in the Pound till I go through the Court process to get them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Strum you seem like an intelligent person, just stop coming across as an ignoramus.

Seriously do you think you'l be the first person that a dog warden has come up against who has gave false or misleading information to. I'm not at all up to date on the legislation on providing dog wardens with false or misleading information, I will check it out and get back to you if you like!?

You can guarantee in the following weeks your local warden will be back, with his van and if your claiming these dogs are not yours they will most definitely become his!
    When you get that slap of reality you will then give your correct details to him sharpish :rolleyes:

What next, double the fine, 1st time being for when you told him your name is Strum Strummer, second for the time he takes your dogs! I'm guessing there is some offence there for providing false information to the warden with another nice fine too!

From one dog lover to another, i'm just trying to help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Who can? "THEY" Some 25 year old bloke in a Red Jacket and a notebook who I think is employed as a blo*dy Lifeguard?
    Haha, I'd have a better chance of winning a Court case against him for harrassment than he could trying to prove I had my Dogs loose.

Your ideas & attitude will just encourage more restrictive dog laws. Dogs should be in control especially in a public area where there are children. Unfortunately, because some people do not control their dog when it is off lead, we all end up having to put our dogs on lead. The same can apply to forest or wildlife areas where out of control dogs can cause problems.

If dog owners acted responsibly then many these laws would not be introduced as they often arise from numerous complaints.

There is no point bringing him there leashed. It would be like bringing a seven year old to an adventure park and expecting him to sit quietly by your side.

It's not as good as being off lead but a 24 ft flexi does allow a fair bit of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chances

Discodog wrote: »
    It's not as good as being off lead but a 24 ft flexi does allow a fair bit of freedom.

To be honest, he's less dangerous off the lead as he has quite a bit of common sense. What's going to happen when a cyclist or a group of runners comes around a corner and run into a 24 ft dog leash? One complaint, that is, ONE complaint from a lady who had a verbal with a dog-owner got the “all dogs on leashes” sign in my local woods. Next thing you know we'll have “all dogs on short leashes,” signs as I saw on a walk I went on in England recently. (It almost reduced me to tears even though the dog was at home.) Anyway, my point is that the “all dogs must be on leashes” signs are an overreaction to the behaviour of a minority of badly behaved owners. Seriously, tying decent people and their animals up in laws because of a problem with a minority is massively intolerant and unfair, IMO. I don't bring him to the woods anymore. I can't even bring myself to drive by it anymore. Yup, I'm still hurting about the whole business.

But thank you for your suggestion. Dogs on leads in places where there are no cars is just wrong in my world view. :)

Anyway, my point is that the “all dogs must be on leashes” signs are an overreaction to the behaviour of a minority of badly behaved owners.

I suspect that, in some areas, it's more than a minority. It is very difficult to prosecute or enforce control laws. You can't have wardens everywhere & how do you prove that an off lead dog is out of control ? I recently saw a dog owner who allowed his dog to defecate on a beach where children were playing. He made no attempt to clean up & no one on the beach said a thing !

A friend of mine is a National Trust warden in the UK. He put up some signs asking dog walkers to put their dogs on lead in a particular area to protect ground nesting birds during the nesting season. People ignored it so a total off lead ban will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am curious Strum. Did this individual who came up to you and said they were authorized by the coco to take the €150 on the spot fine provide you with any evidence of same - like id and stuff from the coco that said they were authorized? Or did they just say they were and expect you to had over your money to some stranger.

I mean any old randomer could come up to you, say they are authorized by the coco to take the fine and fleece you for your money. There is no way in heck I would just accept somebody's word that they were allowed. I'd be wanting proof etc.

hdowney wrote: »
    I mean any old randomer could come up to you, say they are authorized by the coco to take the fine and fleece you for your money. There is no way in heck I would just accept somebody's word that they were allowed. I'd be wanting proof etc.

There were rumours of people pretending to be dog wardens & taking dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Discodog wrote: »
    There were rumours of people pretending to be dog wardens & taking dogs.

i have heard of this before too. people calling to your door and stuff saying they are a warden, there have been several complaints etc so they must take your dog and you must do x, y, and z to get the dog back. of course try to find where this 'warden' had taken your dog and you got nowhere cos they were not a warden and your dog had been robbed.

tis always the same. ask for proof of who they say they are. they try to drum this into old people all the time when it comes to callers to the door, so old people don't get conned. but they don't think to tell everybody the same thing, and i think a lot of younger people are complacent and too trusting as well and assume if so and so says they are from wherever then they must be.

hyper vigilance is necessary in this day and age.

I have seen this guy on the Beach before. I actually think he is employed as a lifeguard and is doing this on behalf of the Dog Warden because there is only ONE Warden in the dun Laoghaire district and surrounding areas.
    They will never be able to enforce this. Nobody is going to give a stranger their name and address to wait for a fine through the mail.

A free Dog is a Happy Dog! Woof! :D

My Dogs don't bark at people, nor do they jump up on people. They also come to me on instant recall which is called "under effective control"

How else would I get them to pose like that! :D

It is the mindlessness of a minority of Dog owners that have these stupid by-laws in effect.
    Apart from the council and another way to impose revenue collection. :mad:

dogz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

dogz.jpg

Love the picture :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

See the thing is, i'm kinda in favour of this if they had proper dog parks set up in each county with some by the sea.

I have two JRT and I always have them leased if they go out. If they are out the back they are in the new dog pen, so they have plenty of space to run about, if they are in the house they have plenty of room to run around.Their leads hang by the front door and when we're going out they go on? I understand some people would be frustrated, but i'm more frustrated when some dog in heat comes over to my two girls and tries to hump the bejesus out of them cos the owner won't put a lead on the dog. Now mine are neutered but that's not to say the other dog was.

What happens if my wee mongrals weren't neutered and had to go to the vets to get the jab after? Is it my fault for walking them or the other persons? Cos we all know the chances of getting a stranger to pay for vet bills in second to none. All the stories you hear on boards, the worst ones are from dogs being unleased.

If you are going to walk a dog on a beach why not get a flexi lead or a recall training lead which are 10meters and huge. In this day and age can we not put a lead on our dogs??

• Advertisement

I agree that there are many many reasons why Dogs should be on leads. Those extended leads can be dangerous though, tripping over them, getting tangled etc and not an option when you have four Dogs. I know people will argue on both sides of this and people that fear Dogs of course will love this. new by-law. Oh well.

BUT how will my Dogs be able to do this???

dogz1.jpg

Or chase a ball or or or....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I agree that there are many many reasons why Dogs should be on leads. Those extended leads can be dangerous though, tripping over them, getting tangled etc and not an option when you have four Dogs. I know people will argue on both sides of this and people that fear Dogs of course will love this. new by-law. Oh well.

BUT how will my Dogs be able to do this???

dogz1.jpg

Or chase a ball or or or....

The same way that my dog does this

Vincelakejumping.jpg

You can get 100ft leads off ebay for a few quid.

I'm sorry but THAT is seriously ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Next thing people will be bringing their Goldfish out for a Swim on leashes hahaha! LMAO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Next thing people will be bringing their Goldfish out for a Swim on leashes hahaha! LMAO!!!

Well myself and ISDW and anyone else who have Northern Breeds or restricted breeds dont have the luxury of not looking "ridiculous". I think you would have no trouble controlling 4 dogs on leads as you said they are all very obedient and ISDW was good enough to give you another option to not letting your dogs have a swim, If the beech has a rule then follow it or complain and try and get them to change the rules.

I do however agree with you on the life guard, If he is not a dog warden then he should not be acting like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

hi i know the beach well and without getting into the whole issue i was talking to a coco worker and he said it was only a certain section of the beach to be enforced ie the popular swimming area from white rock up the beach i wouldt think youd get many complaints the closer you get to shankill on a side note these signs have been up in public parks around the boro for years i think it was the brainchild of the green party

Well that's good to know concur thanks. That means they can still swim to their hearts content in the Shanganagh and Deansgrange Rivers. Cheers. :)

I have had a suggestion that we campaign to have this restriction lifted after 7:30 or so in the evenings when families and kids have gone home?
    How about that for a compromise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

Well that's good to know concur thanks. That means they can still swim to their hearts content in the Shanganagh and Deansgrange Rivers. Cheers. :)

I have had a suggestion that we campaign to have this restriction lifted after 7:30 or so in the evenings when families and kids have gone home?
    How about that for a compromise?

ye this guy was saying he thinks it going be pretty much unenforcable anyhows most likely around seapoint/sandycove/white rock/bray strand not so sure about most public parks like shangagh though theres a dog park up there as is i suppose it comes down to another unenforcable rule and more likely due to the jet set living on the vico and the like thinking they own the beach etc on a side note i think shore fishing is meant to be banned as well whats next a tax on the air we breath:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well thanks for that useful comment. Maybe if you do a bit of research into northern breeds you'll realise why my dogs are on leads at all times in any unenclosed area.

I'd like to know though why it is seriously ridiculous to allow my dog to go and play and swim in a lake to his hearts content safely? What about it exactly do you object to? Does he look unhappy? He had just had a nice long canicross walk and was cooling down in the lake. I take my dogs to our local beach and they go in the sea with me, always on leads, the leads are long enough that they have freedom but they are still attached to me, how ridiculous of me. I really must stop being such a responsible dog owner, and realising that just because I love my dogs, not everybody else in the world does and that people have a right to go to places without standing in dog sh*t and worrying about other people's dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

But see the thing i don't get here is are you not putting the dogs on a lead for principle??

In my eyes, my two are on their leads for their own safety as well as other dogs/people/plastic bags ... whatever tickles that dogs fancy. I've personally seen other people on beaches in Donegal getting into a shouting match on the beach on something that wasn't one dogs fault, it just happened to be there at the time.

TBH If i knew i was going to a beach were dogs were going to be off the leads it would actually deter me from going there, more because there's not just one dog here off the lead it's four! It would be really off-putting, especially for people with young kids or who maybe had a bad experience with dogs in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't know, some people seem to think that everyone that walks their dogs off lead has perfect control of their dogs, but it simply isn't true :(

Had another incident yesterday, two little snappy dogs off lead running circles around a dog we were with (not our dog) and it obviously bothered her. She's on lead and these two small dogs are running in circles around her barking and upsetting her.
    The guy had zero control of his dogs and zero inclination to put them on the lead. They did not listen to a word he said and even still he didn't even attempt to put leads on them, despite requests (he had them in his hand and everything).

I have Northern breeds (as others said, read up on why they can't be let off lead) and a GSD (so a restricted breed), so all my dogs are always on leads when out, and have a very big garden to run around in when they're home. Judging by some of the posts here I'm probably cruel and my dogs have horrible lives :/

Advertisement