Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scam Alert

• 18-03-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all
    scam on gumtree about Canon EOS 60D new camera for sale 450Euro
    I have include e-mail communication with lady name Angela Kistner

cleardot.gifAngela Kistner

to me
    show details 20:42 (1 hour ago)

I didn't sold the item yet, it's brand new, comes with all original accessories provided by the manufacturer, proof of purchase and 3 years warranty
    let me know if you're interested.

thank you

Original Message

Sent: 03/18/11 06:07 PM
    To: [EMAIL=""][/EMAIL]
    Subject: Reply to your ad: NEW Canon EOS 60D camera body & EF-S 18-200mm lens 4,2E

Hi there anne, you have received a reply to your Gumtree posting "NEW Canon EOS 60D camera body & EF-S 18-200mm lens 4,2E" (ad# 75526709) from
    Hi looking to buy this camera, how can i meet you
    I live in Dublin 15

TaYaX

to Angela
    show details 21:00 (1 hour ago)

I am interest to buy , is it genuine Canon product and will you accept canon expert to look camera before I buy ?
    Where do you live and how we can meet
    Thanks

Angela Kistner

to me
    show details 21:01 (1 hour ago)

I have a travel agency and at the moment i'm in Donegal opening a new office .I have the item here with me.
    I would like to close this transaction through Ukash the delivery will be through USPS or DHL and I will pay it.
    The transaction will be like COD, let me know if you're interested to use this service.

TaYaX

to Angela
    show details 21:58 (22 minutes ago)

Hi Angela that is not a problem
    How much is final price for camera and is it warranty included,
    how will pay for it
    thanks

Angela Kistner

to me
    show details 22:02 (18 minutes ago)

The final price is 400 EUR
    Yes the camera have 3 years warranty
    I want to close the deal by Ukash
    In order us to use Ukash i need your full name and delivery address and after that they will contact you with an invoice.
    You will have to buy a Ukash from a local store near you in order to send it to Ukash at contact@ukash-ntl.com after that i must ship the bike next day and send you the tracking number.
    All you have to do is to go to nearest store,normally where you top-up your mobile or pay your bills.
    Ukash may be available in a smaller amount than your invoice, so in order to pay the invoice in full , you must send the 19-digit Ukash PIN with the amount of each voucher to contact@ukash-ntl.com and they will reply me that you have the money and i cah ship the bike(i will receive the money only after you reply them that you are agree to keep the bike, if not you can go back to the shop and they will give you the money back)
    After I will receive the confirmation from Ukash that you have the money I must ship the bike next day and send you the tracking number.
    Please send me your informations in order to contact the Ukash.

She did not even changed word (bike) to word (camera) from here template stupid cow :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd suggest removing your email unless you want more of those emails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TTaYaXX

Removed my address, who carew for here scaming b****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

probably not even female dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not being funny, but the price would have sent alarm bells off in my head right away. there's a tonne of scammers across gumtree, it gets easy to seperate the chit from the chite after the first few glaringly obvious scam e-mails.

I once had one that showed a statement, which on first look, seemed like it was genuine, stating that €960 had gone into my paypal, and I should send on the goods a.s.a.p. I'm no genius, but, since I was selling an xbox for €150 and I'd not actually agreed to sell to anyone in particular ....

One tip: Ignore any email that comes through GT if it mentions the word "item" in place what you're actually buying/selling. As they should know what it is when making an offer or trying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nickfrede

Hi All,

I got the same issue with this person:
    fromAngela Kistner <AngelaKistner@gmx.com>
    to
    dateFri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    subjectRe: Reply to your ad: Nikon D90 with 2 lenses and more Brand New 4,9E
    mailed-bygmx.com
    hide details Mar 18 (2 days ago)

I want to open a new office of my travel agency here in Donegal and I stay here 1 month .
    I want to make the deal by Ukash because they are safe
    In order us to use Ukash i need your full name and delivery address and after that they will contact you with an invoice.
    You will have to buy a Ukash from a local store near you in order to send it to Ukash at contact@ukash-ntl.com after that i must ship the item next day and send you the tracking number.
    All you have to do is to go to nearest store,normally where you top-up your mobile or pay your bills.
    Ukash may be available in a smaller amount than your invoice, so in order to pay the invoice in full , you must send the 19-digit Ukash PIN with the amount of each voucher to contact@ukash-ntl.com and they will reply me that you have the money and i cah ship the item(i will receive the money only after you reply them that you are agree to keep the item, if not you can go back to the shop and they will give you the money back)
    After I will receive the confirmation from Ukash that you have the money I must ship the item next day and send you the tracking number.
    Please send me your informations in order to contact the Ukash.

It was my first SCAM in Gumtree.
    • Price too low (1/4 of market value)
    • The user got my gumtree message to an email address with a very suspious name "TheoreRNewton@....." and he actually reply from another.
    • He didn't want to give his phone number
    • He wants me to pay in advance for an item before I see him
    • He uses a fae email address: contact@ukash-ntl.com and fake Ukash procedures - refer to Ukash website.
    I still believe that 99.9 % of the people on Gumtree are honest.

Thanks,
    Nickfrede

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 darklandsfilm

Gumtree Dublin, Canon 7d & 2 lenses

Ok so i see a deal on Guntree thats really good, good to the point of this has to be a scam... I reply and then this begins....

Email1

Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Brand New Canon EOS 7D 18-135 & Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0 L IS 8.0E
    Date: 11 May 2011 01:52:11 IST
    To: ME @gmail.com

I didn't sold the item yet, it's brand new, comes with all original accessories provided by the manufacturer, proof of purchase and 3 years warranty
    let me know if you're interested.

thank you.

Sent: 11/05/11 02:46 AM
    To: frog terente
    Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Brand New Canon EOS 7D 18-135 & Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0 L IS 8.0E

Hi there Deren,
    ME here again, Thanks for the reply so quickly, can you just let me know exactly what is for sale? is it a canon 7d and two lenses? or just the canon body? Im interested.

EMAIL2
    Date: 11 May 2011 21:54:40 IST

Canon 7d and two lenses

tocleardot.giffrog terente <deren_terente@gmx.com>
    datecleardot.gif11 May 2011 23:57subjectcleardot.gifRe: Reply to your ad: Brand New Canon EOS 7D 18-135 & Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0 L IS 8.0Emailed-bycleardot.gifgmail.com
    hide details 11 May (1 day ago)

Great, when and how do you want to sell them. Im living in Cork. But happy to travel to see the camera and pay cash & also will be in Dublin on the 23rd on buisness.

EMAIL3

Date: 12 May 2011 20:49:14 IST

I'm in Donegal opening a new office of my travel agency, I have the item here with me.
    I would like to close this transaction through Ukash (available from local store near you ) the delivery will be through Royal Mail and I will pay it.
    The transaction will be like COD, let me know if you're interested to use this service.

Sent: 12/05/11 10:46 PM

So if you deliver the camera down to me, as soon as im sure its working and everything is in order, ill send you on the money. The address for delivery is
    ME...

You now have my name address and phone number and copy of this email sent from my buisness address. So i look forward to doing buisness with you.
    Yours Truly
    ME

EMAIL4
    Date: 13 May 2011 00:06:11 IST

I want to close the deal through Ukash because it is like COD
    You will have to buy a Ukash from a local store near you in order to send it to Ukash at contact@ukash-pay.com after that i must ship the item next day and send you the tracking number.
    Ukash may be available in a smaller amount than your invoice, so in order to pay the invoice in full , you must send the 19-digit Ukash PIN with the amount of each voucher to contact@ukash-pay.com and they will reply me that you have the money and i cah ship the item(i will receive the money only after you reply them that you are agree to keep the item, if not you can go back to the shop and they will give you the money back)
    After I will receive the confirmation from Ukash that you have the money I must ship the item next day and send you the tracking number.
    Please confirm me your informations in order to contact the Ukash.

Sent: 12/05/11 11:14 PM

Ah sure jasus why didnt you say so, That explains it all then, me ma wanted a hip operation but hell, this camera is far too important to miss. I have got the voucher and do i send you the voucher number now or will i wait a day or two till i have the camera.
    Ive heard of Ukash and i believe its very reliable. So great idea to use them, makes this whole transaction so much easier. Tell me will the camera arrive tommorrow or the next day? Im so excited to take some amazing photos and have a job lined up next week that i will be using it for. It will be amazing to have such professional equipment.

I hope everything in Donegal is well, the travel industry is difficult at the best of times, Anyhow just email me back and tell me where to send the 18 digit code so i can send it on to you. Its almost a months rent but worth it im sure.

Derren this is the deal of a life time and i have to say your some ****'in ejit.
    ~p.s your time is IST, hows the weather in India you fu cknut....

Funny enough Im still waiting for a reply........
    If tis too good to be true then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

You should have kept him on the string for some epic comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 red_hot_nirvana

Im actually just in the middle of dealin with these c**ts. Im talkin to them about the camera! I got exactly the same reply! Gonna rip the ****in piss outta the wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 darklandsfilm

Im actually just in the middle of dealin with these c**ts. Im talkin to them about the camera! I got exactly the same reply! Gonna rip the ****in piss outta the wanker.
    Awesome cant wait to see the results......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm having fun with a scammer too. Notice how cold hearted these fcukers are. The scammer goes by the alias Kerri Lippert. Selling a bike and I get the following:

Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 10:43:01 +0200
    Subject: PAYMENT SENT
    To: me

I just want to inform you that i have just completed the payment and i
    hope you must have been notified in your email about the payment i made through PayPal, you can check your e-mail for confirmation of payment,I have just make the payment of €1,700.00 EUR,i have add the amount of €500.00 EUR for my agent so that he can use that for the shipping
    €500.00 EUR to my agent via western union so he can be able to come for the pick up

Below is the Name and Address of my AGENT to which you will send the Money to and the necessary paper documents and the address to which they will come and pick the 2001 Opel Combo 1.7D,do get the money sent to them via Western Union as soon as you receive confirmation of the funds fromPayPal so they can come pick up asap.

Name:Kelly Marcus
    14c, Alma Road,
    LONDON,SW18 1AB

United Kingdom

I do wait to hear from you soon..

Regards,

From Me:

I cant get the money from paypal, they are holding it, so i cant send the €500.

From SCAMMER:

Thanks for your reply just want you to know that the full funds has
    been sent to your account and will like to inform you that due to paypal policy they will have to received the transfer details fromyou before they money appear in your recenty acitivities but its pending on there database so i urge you to send the money via western union and email the transfer details to paypal and get me notify as soon as this is done so that i can let my agent know when to come and what i bought from you up

From ME:

i only have €100 cash to send by western union. Will the agent accept the other €400 when collecting the item? otherwise i cant send anything.

From SCAMMER:

Thanksfor your reply i really understand your effort regarsing this transaction but i want you to know that my agent will not come for the
    pick if they did not receive the money so i will be much happy if you
    can help me out please they will not accept that 100 so i urge you to
    try and get all the 500 and get me notify as soon as you have send the money

From ME:

I would have to take the money from my mothers carers allowance on Monday, which is €500 exactly. It's due to be paid on Wednesday and she would lose her carer if the money was not paid and I can't get it anywhere else. Will the PayPal money clear by Wednesday? If not, my mother could fall very ill without the care she needs. If the money clears by Wednesday, I can borrow it on Monday. And what Western Union branch would the money need to be sent to?

From SCAMMER:

Thanks for your reply i assure you that as soon as paypal received the transfer details from you they will credit your account asap so you can go ahead and borrow the money and try to locate the nearest western union point around you or you can go to post office and ask the you want to wire money via western union and get me notify as soon as you have send the money.
    Thanks for your understanding

From ME:

I can't risk it. If anything happened, my mothers life would be in danger, because she is terminally ill and needs 24/7 care, costing €500 a week. She could die if the carer is not there to look after her and it is not my money to borrow, it belongs to the government and is paid to me to pay for her health care. I should not have said anything about that money. €100 is all I have spare, so if your agent will not accept the other €400 on arrival, we will have to call off the sale of the bike and I will sell it to someone else.

From SCAMMER:

i want you to trust me in this transaction and i promise not to let you down with this transaction paypal will credit your account as soon as they received the transfer details from you you can also email them and ask them to confirm the payment for you

From ME:

OK, I trust you. My terminally ill mother is happy to let me use her carers money, so i can send your agent €500. I also have a van for sale if you're interested. I will do a good deal if you want it. Maybe your agent will put the bike in the van and drive it to you. I can send €600 if the agent agrees, but I will need €1500 for the van by paypal. What Western Union branch do I send the money to? The agent wants to know.

From SCAMMER:

Thanks for your reply i really appreciate that i will like us to finish the first transaction before jumping to another one so here is my agent address you will send the money to below and also will be much happy if you can try and send the money first thing tomorrow morning.

My Agent Address
    Name:Kelly Marcus
    14c, Alma Road,
    LONDON,SW18 1AB
    United Kingdom

From ME:

OK, we can talk about the van another time. Lets complete this transaction. I will go to the Post Office tomorrow in dumbville to send you the money. What Western Union branch do I send the money to?

From SCAMMER:

Thanks for your reply it does not have branch just give them the agent address and ask them to send it to it and tell them that they should make the money available for pick up and get me notify as soon as that is done

From ME:

That's not how the post office in dumbsville does it. They only send to a specific western union branch. The only other way is a money transfer into your agents bank account.

From SCAMMER:

Alright give them the address and send it to United Kingdom branch

From ME:

They have thousands of branches. They want to know what branch to send the money to. It can only be collected at the branch you specify.

From SCAMMER:

i don't know what you are talking about all what i know whenever i want to send money i only give them money and address so i urge you to do so

From ME:

No. They asked what branch the money will be collected. The agent will need identification too. I have never used western union, but this is what they are telling me. things work differently here in ireland.

From SCAMMER:

Thanks for your reply.i don't want us to started complicate on this issue when you get there tomorrow morning give them the money and the agent address they will surely know how to send it all this happen because you haven't use western union before when you get there tomorrow it will be solved by then.

Thank You For Your Understanding

From ME:

Look. The lady told me earlier that they will only send the money to one western union. It's something to do with new rules since the new government came in. All they want, is the address branch where the money is to be collected. I dont see the complication here. The other option is a direct transfer into your agents account. I could send a cheque, but this would take longer. This is becoming too much trouble, I might be better selling to someone else for a lower price.

From SCAMMER:

just want you to know that this is your first time using western union kindly tell them to give you specifi branch to that address cos if i know the nearest branch there i will send it to you but i don't know it so i urge you to go ahead and send the money

From ME:

Ok that money is sent to the New Link Saloon Western Union in Wandsworth, which was closest to the address of your agent (14c Alma Road, London, SW18 1AB, UK). It cannot be collected at another branch, my post office do not offer the "float service". The amount was converted into sterling £438.52 and it cost me €27 to send it. The secret question is "What is money for" and the answer is "delivery agent". I am told the agent needs this information. Also it must be collected before 3pm today, or they will send the money back and I will lose the €27, so please make sure it is collected before 3pm, because I will not resend the money unless I am sent the transefer fees first. I have attached the receipt as proof, please contact PayPal to release the funds as soon as possible.

I then contacted the metropolitan police in that area to inform them of this scam and sent all the emails to them. I doubt they will act, but they have a chance. This is what I sent:

Dear Sir,

I contacted your station over the weekend about an attempted scam, which is to come to a close today. I am trying to send the scammer to the "New Link Saloon" in Wandsworth by 3pm deadline today to collect money, which is not actually there. I sent a spoof receipt (attached here) which will hopefully be enough. Research suggests this scammer is well established and has conned many out of hundreds of euros and pounds. The email history is below, I hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

(my name)

A mod removed the scammers email address for some reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement