Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Social behaviour South Douglas Rd

Options
  • 18-03-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

For the last week or so my uncle and his young family are being kept awake by clowns acting the maggot around Glencurrig Estate in the South Douglas Rd.
    There has always been a bit of trouble there but lately its gone crazy. Cars driving around the greens, mobs of rabid teens going crazy and spray painting everything.

Any locals here know what is going on or why its gotten so bad? He is driven to the end of hie tether.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

anti social behaviour is on the increase. Part of the reason is because of the economic downturn also our intelligent people / graduates are leaving the country in droves. This leaves behind no hopers and less than responsible parents in charge of siblings that are becoming the majority due to the dilution of intellect in this country.

I would expect to see more and more of these threads ocurring i.e. antisocial behaviour in general areas.

Public servants like the police and educators are facing redundancy and pay cuts and charges that leave them disillusioned due to a system that has left them with a lazy style of ethical responsibility in the first place due to high pay with no accountability and beurocracy that they have been hiding behind to keep them in their over paid status by being pretenders.

At the end of the day they have forgotten the reason why they joined up for 'public service' in the first place i.e....PUBLIC SERVICE. The police need to take responsibility by being innovative, easy to do. Tackle the socially problematic areas with a zero tollerance type of action response. They wont do it though, not until some kind of government is in place that will tackle the public service workers and kick them into touch i.e. make them perform, produce and account results or fck off and let real concerned highly paid people get paid to do the job.

The public service needs to be reformed, when I call a gaurd for assistance on an issue I expect something to be done about the issue like the OP mentioned rather than living in fear whilst said guard sits on ass and ignores the growing problems that will get worse in the long run by inaction.

We should not let the scumbags grow again like they did a decade ago, there is a real danger IMO that this will happen again by public service inaction. I would like to see the public standing up and taking action on this and petitioning the gov so as to see this as a problem now and deal with it effectively as a genuine concern before it gets worse.

The bottom line to me is that the public should stand up and take on the scum and put them in their place before they get out of hand again, the best way to do this is to complain, complain, complain and make the authorities take action against these low lifes that scrounge the dole, abuse the system, drink the dole and live outside of the law as they see it making other genuine deserving, hard working peoples lives a misery.

An online presence would go someway towards doing this IMO, I would like to set up such an online prescence for people to take part in if folks would be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i would never live in that part of the city anyway tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

i would never live in that part of the city anyway tbh

And how exactly does that help?? :rolleyes:

There has been an increase all over, but I'm really not sure how to combat it. Using cameras to record the joyriders and taking car numbers to pass to the guards should help reduce the speeding, and possibly some of the loitering, but all that is really likely to happen is to move the problem onto another part of the city.

It needs a city-wide zero tolerance approach from the community and the city council as well as the guards - I just wonder has their morale been totally destroyed in addition to having a lack of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Corkblowin wrote: »
    And how exactly does that help?? :rolleyes:

There has been an increase all over, but I'm really not sure how to combat it. Using cameras to record the joyriders and taking car numbers to pass to the guards should help reduce the speeding, and possibly some of the loitering, but all that is really likely to happen is to move the problem onto another part of the city.

It needs a city-wide zero tolerance approach from the community and the city council as well as the guards - I just wonder has their morale been totally destroyed in addition to having a lack of resources.[/QUOTE} it doesnt help. im just glad i live in the country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Blast em with piss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

the whole douglas area has gotten really bad lately, just Friday evening we walked past a group of 13-14 years olds smoking right on the steps outside of the new tesco's.

my partner and i agree'd this sums up the new generation of these gangs, so brazen they wouldn't even try and hide their anti-social behaviour by going down the alley-way right next to them, or hiding out in the park across the road like they used to,
    instead they fearlessly broke the law and hassled customers entering and exiting the shopping centre.

security of the centre were inside not even moving them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Hi

Go to your local station look for the meeting your local Community Garda, tell him your fears and what is happening that would be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

the whole douglas area has gotten really bad lately, just Friday evening we walked past a group of 13-14 years olds smoking right on the steps outside of the new tesco's.

Oh the Humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

jimw1988 wrote: »
    Oh the Humanity!

Trivialise it all you want, but Kimono has a very good point. And the unfortunate thing is that trivialising this kind of thing is what leads to worse problems down the line.

Ludo wrote: »
    Trivialise it all you want, but Kimono has a very good point. And the unfortunate thing is that trivialising this kind of thing is what leads to worse problems down the line.

What business is it of the poster above what 13 or 14 year olds take into their own body as long as they are doing harm only to themselves.

Why should they have to hide?
    Who are we to judge what is wrong or right! The fact that they are called "gangs" is even more ridiculous! Judge a book by its cover and all that.

I really dont think my posting on an internet fourm will lead to "worse problems" down the line, whatever that means.

Maybe we could improve on the terrible education system in this country so they can understand the consequences of their actions. instead of enforcing our opinion on the kids, try and listen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

What business is it of the poster above what 13 or 14 year olds take into their own body as long as they are doing harm only to themselves.

but if you read my post you will see i said they were also hassling customers entering and exiting the centre and the fact that even staff of the centre are not allowed to smoke so close to the doors... also they were clearly underage and last time i checked it was illegal to smoke under the age of 16, and to buy them under 18.
    Why should they have to hide?
    Who are we to judge what is wrong or right! The fact that they are called "gangs" is even more ridiculous! Judge a book by its cover and all that.

the law judges what is wrong or right, what they were doing was against the law, they were a group of teenagers
    A gang is a group of people, through the organization, formation, and establishment of an assemblage

If they were annoying people thats fair enough but I dont think the fact that they were smoking should even enter the arguement.

Im a smoker, I dont think I am contributing to anti-social behaviour when I light one up, am I? Or is it deemed to be against some definition of acceptable social behaviour?

I dont know about you but I would find it hard to tell the difference between a 14 year old and a 16 year old. Did you get proof of age off them?

The word gang has lots of different meanings, dont believe everything you read on wikipedia. I felt you were using it like this group of friends had some sort of criminal affiliation.

I think common sense would judge what is wrong or right! Our laws make it illegal to buy alcohol up to the day you are 18. And then the next day you can buy it. Apparently 24hours gives you a higher level of maturity and responsibility!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

In all fairness you have to put an age on these things, at 18 your classed as an adult so it makes sense.
    If the 13/14 year olds were drinking would it be ok?
    If they were openely taking drugs would that be ok?

It should not matter, they were doing something illegal in a public place and as such the security should have stopped them.

If they get away with this behaviour in public at that age it will only lead to worse things as they get older IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

In fairness while this does worry me if you want to get rid of the scumbags you have to prioritise and that could mean not focusing on more minor occurances.

I don't think teenagers smoking are necessarily going to grow up to be scumbags, that's a bit much. I also don't like this being pinned on "dole scroungers" when we're in a climate where so many people have no choice but to go on the dole.

Law doesn't dictate what's wrong and right either, would it have been moral and fair to arrest gay couples back when it was still illegal(more recent than you think). A lot of anti-social behaviour may be illegal and may be undesirable but we can't see it 100% black and white either. Drinking underage isn't morally wrong, and isn't necessarily harmful. You have to take these things on a case by case basis, especially when limited resources mean you can't just blanket bomb everything. It is not just a case if it's "Illegal" or not, it's what's the best and most fair use of what we have.

If a security guard isn't dealing with hasslers, then that's a problem. But I've seen a lot more happening lately that really needs to be focused on.

I think this is a complicated problem and in some ways unavoidable given what's been put in place.

Advertisement