Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling coaching course anyone?

• 19-03-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Howdy,

The i.a.w.a is running a level 1 wrestling coaching course at the end of april. It's over two weekends and the dates are penciled in for the 9th+10th and 23rd+24th. Kinda just looking to see if anyone is interested at the moment. If completed you will get a Level 1 coaching certificate issued by the Irish Amateur Wrestling Association with Coaching Ireland Accreditation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 carmex

sounds good and must for any mma coachs or clubs. were is on whats the cost. what are the requirements to pass the coarse. what does the coarse involued. do you need previous wrestling experience to do coarse

that all the questions i have for now lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

Hello OP,

Are those dates correct? The IAWA website has part 1 of this course scheduled for the 5th/6th of March and part 2 tbc. The 23 and 24th is the Easter weekend.

Thanks for the info but any chance you can let us know if those dates are correct.

I'd be interested in this course for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bres

Very sorry for my late response,
    part 1: 9th & 10th of April
    part 2: TBC
    These dates are subject to change depending on interest.

The course costs €150.
    what are the requirements to pass the coarse. what does the coarse involued. do you need previous wrestling experience to do coarse

This is a tough one to answer. It is aimed at active coaches or athletes and would benefit people involved in a grappling based sport. I've done this course myself and have seen people with minimal amount of knowledge of the sport attend and pass.
    That doesn't mean your paying for a certificate to hang on your wall, it's just if you attend this course with even a basic knowledge of grappling it is aimed to improve your knowledge of the sport and your overall coaching skills more then anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Bres wrote: »
    Very sorry for my late response,
    part 1: 9th & 10th of April
    part 2: TBC
    These dates are subject to change depending on interest.

The course costs €150.

This is a tough one to answer. It is aimed at active coaches or athletes and would benefit people involved in a grappling based sport. I've done this course myself and have seen people with minimal amount of knowledge of the sport attend and pass.
    That doesn't mean your paying for a certificate to hang on your wall, it's just if you attend this course with even a basic knowledge of grappling it is aimed to improve your knowledge of the sport and your overall coaching skills more then anything.
    +1
    Plus things like basic first aid and child protection are covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Interested but the damn dates don't suit. Plans for another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

Bres, Im reading this and I'd like to ask a quick question -

surely level 1 courses should be completed by people with freestyle wrestling experience according to set syllabus?

Plus, will the potential coach not be asked to perform a set number of techniques on a partner, providing instruction and full explaination of what they are doing?

And adding to this be able to take a 'wrestling warm up and cool down'?

If so how can someone with 'minimal knowledge of the sport' attend and pass?

okay first i'm delighted that theres such a positive response to this...

surely level 1 courses should be completed by people with freestyle wrestling experience according to set syllabus?

yes there is a set syllabus but if the course was aimed specificaly at active freestyle wrestlers we all know this would limit the progression of the sport. So i've been pushing for this course to be aimed towards the likes of mma and martial arts gyms to see wrestling progress and also offer the ability for mma and martial arts coaches to progress.
    Plus, will the potential coach not be asked to perform a set number of techniques on a partner, providing instruction and full explaination of what they are doing?

The coaches will be tutored in how to coach the level one techniques safely and properly. It is not a seminar where you will be taught a bundle of techniques. you will be shown techniques then shown how to Coach them. and a full warm up and cool down will be covered.
    If so how can someone with 'minimal knowledge of the sport' attend and pass?
    I'm not sure to to respond to this, i guess the coaches in the past have attended, listened, work hard and learned enough from the course to merit passing. this course has been designed as a level one course not a masters, you will learn the basics and how to teach the basic principles but that dosen't mean your gonna go back to your club showing how to german suplex.

Sorry Barry the I.A.W.A is only running one this year but don't panic as i said these dates are only penciled in, i will try adjust the dates to try suit as many people as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I'd also be interested if the dates were different!

Let's form a voting bloc Clive.

And sorry meant to mention there'd be 2 of us at least from my gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i'll be there..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

When will there be a Level 2 course? I want to get ahead of these chumps. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

I understand totally where you are coming from as regards pushing the sport and getting it out there to the masses and i for one would welcome the growth of it.

I understand that its not a masters course and never made referance to as such. But a level 1, if my understanding is correct is an assistant club coaching role (feel free to correct me if im wrong) and as such should have solid freestyle wrestling foundations?

what way will the course be run?

IE will a set number of techniques be shown in the first two days then on the second two days these would have to be shown to a qualified examiner and then graded on the quality of delivery and explaination.

A personal point of view- Should the set syllabus not be distributed, understood and be practiced within a club environment months (if not longer) before going to the course - where adjustments, advice and comments can be made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Marty Mc wrote: »
    I

IE will a set number of techniques be shown in the first two days then on the second two days these would have to be shown to a qualified examiner and then graded on the quality of delivery and explaination.

Not wrestling, but I done a level one coaching course with Coaching Ireland and the Irish Judo Association - there was no Judo on it as such, except we were to coach some judo classes.

It was mostly method of instructions, labels of good coaching. How to structure classes, appropriate behaviour between student and coach etc.. There was also a test at the end and a requirement to return ten coaching logs to qualify for your coaching qualification.

And it only cost €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

I'm intrested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Interested too

• Registered Users Posts: 32 j.ging

cool cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 13bmoe

I would be very interested If the dates are changed aswel. doing a weekend college course until July

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Barry SeanScoil

Is there some kind of regisatation for this or can you just show up on the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lionheart_ma

Any word on dates yet? i'd have another 2 people for you if the dates change.

• Advertisement

Hey sorry for leaving you's all in the dark!
    I will get the dates confirmed today and let ya's all know, anyone interested should pm me with their e-mail address and i shall send on further information as it comes to me. You will have to register for this course and possibly pay a booking fee to ensure your place.

Okay folks,
    Here's the dates:
    7th and 8th of May
    21st and 22nd of may

any issues with these dates please pm me!
    If you wish to attend please pm me with your e-mail address so i can pass on the relevant information!
    a level 1, if my understanding is correct is an assistant club coaching role (feel free to correct me if im wrong) and as such should have solid freestyle wrestling foundations?

Level 1 coaching courses are an apprentice coaching role, and is needed to go on and do level 2. The course will also cover the introduction course as part of the level one which is the first step before level one.

If anyone is worried about attending and failing due to a lack of freestyle wrestling foundations i can try organise a class on a saturday or sunday in Spartan before the course where we can do a light session and go over the basic techniques that will be shown on the course ?

The course will be run by the set syllabus put together by the I.A.W.A to the guidelines of Coaching Ireland.

Anyone still interested in doing this course should pm me or get your forms back by friday...

Also as i said earlier would anyone doing this course be interested in doing a wrestling session this sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭087dannyboy

has the coarse happened yet guys?? would love to do it? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

first weekend is this weekend. you may already be too late but contact keithkennedy1@eircom.net 0872438425 immediately and he might be able to get you on it

Advertisement