Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Horror Story [US Pace - FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

It's not just about the haters though.. this episode, they're focusing more on visual style and trying to be artistic over anything that felt like horror, which would be fine, if the word horror didn't feature in the freakin' title.

Whole thing felt like something made by a film school graduate, who is trying to show off everything they learned in school - "oh look what I can do with these lenses. Look at this angle."

And then Lady Gaga.

Why in the eff are people casting her in anything? She's proven in Sin City 2 that she has the acting ability, charisma, and screen presence of a damp sponge. It's like the world is trying to turn her into the next Madonna, but at least Madonna has some acting chops.

I'll tune in next episode, because Kathy Bates is great, but so far she's the only saving grace.

I liked the episode anyway, a lot of mystery and intrigue set up. It's definitiely living up to the horror name for me. I found numerous scenes in it very disturbing and horrific. Looking forward to seeing what develops. It's way too early to write off Gaga, she's meant to be introduced as a mysterious and seemingly monstrous figure so having precious little dialogue from her is good, we'll learn plenty more about her character as the season unfolds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

I really enjoyed it, it was much better than the previous 2 series and had much more of the horror feel of the first series. The detective also has a touch of the Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks feel about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Hmmm I'm not sure about it, but I'm willing to watch the season to give it a chance. There were some awful gore scenes! And I agree with a previous poster that it felt more like a showcase of visuals rather than telling a story. I think it's very important to get a feel/liking for the characters before they run into trouble, and we didn't get that with the Swedish girls. So ya, I think there could have been more 'story' like we started to get about the detective and his family towards the end. But watch this space!

diddley wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm not sure about it, but I'm willing to watch the season to give it a chance. There were some awful gore scenes! And I agree with a previous poster that it felt more like a showcase of visuals rather than telling a story. I think it's very important to get a feel/liking for the characters before they run into trouble, and we didn't get that with the Swedish girls. So ya, I think there could have been more 'story' like we started to get about the detective and his family towards the end. But watch this space!

I took that as a nod to the classic horror movies where the dumb blondes run around in skimpy clothes, I don't think too many men would have been unhappy to watch a couple of leggy swedes running around in hot pants.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

I took that as a nod to the classic horror movies where the dumb blondes run around in skimpy clothes, I don't think too many men would have been unhappy to watch a couple of leggy swedes running around in hot pants.:D

That's true, but is all they think of AHS viewers is that we want to see that as well as dragged out sex scenes?! I always thought AHS appealed to a different type of viewer! =(

• Advertisement

diddley wrote: »
    That's true, but is all they think of AHS viewers is that we want to see that as well as dragged out sex scenes?! I always thought AHS appealed to a different type of viewer! =(

I think they were trying to build up to the vampire bit. The scene with the guy getting buggered with that corkscrew penis was fairly gruesome, although the lack of blood was a bit weird. All in all, it had a lot more gore than the last 2 series and it's very different to anything else that's on at the moment, so that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I must say it had me back to "WTF?" which is good and hopefully it can keep it up. Gaga playing the part well so far, although my one criticism is there is too much going on so far, way 2 many plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thought the first episode was a mish mash of stuff that left a lot to be desired, turned this off after about 40mins as I couldn't stick it's awfulness any longer - I watched three series of Under the Dome so I can ensure some tripe but not this. Disappointed.

A fecking horse like, that was the tipping point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Episode 2 was awful. And I'm an AHS fan since season 1.

This gets one more episode to impress me, and then that's it.

Jeez guys, dunno where all the hate is comin from, I thought that was bloody horrortastic! I've been watching since s1 too, love that it's mainly set within the confines of the hotel, harking back to the claustrophobic feeling of murder house. Really enjoying the feel of this new season, can't bloody wait for more. :pac:

• Advertisement

I thought it was rubbish till it got to the part about the first owner, really took a sadistic dark turn. Got my attention for the next episode anyway.
    It's better than freakshow but that isn't hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

rob316 wrote: »
    I thought it was rubbish till it got to the part about the first owner, really took a sadistic dark turn. Got my attention for the next episode anyway.
    It's better than freakshow but that isn't hard.

You will enjoy the book on HH Holmes so!!!

You will enjoy the book on HH Holmes so!!!

I just looked up who that was - so he was the owner of a hotel in Chicago in the late 1800s who used it as the location of his serial killing spree, inspiring the character of James March. Wow! Truth is certainly stranger than fiction.

Last night's new episode (the third of the new season) was a drastic improvement on the first two episodes, in my opinion.

Instead of just being an hour of sex and blood and not much else, it brought back some of the great story telling that AHS used to do really well in seasons 1, 2, and parts of 3 and 4.

Hopefully it continues to improve.

On a side note, Evan Peters' character looks like a child with a fake moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

Been a fan since season one but this season am still saying in my head WTF is going on ??? Gaga is alright and fits the bill but WTF is going on :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I just looked up who that was - so he was the owner of a hotel in Chicago in the late 1800s who used it as the location of his serial killing spree, inspiring the character of James March. Wow! Truth is certainly stranger than fiction.

It was going to be made into a movie a few times but fell through.

The body in the hotel matress has happened a few times too.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    It was going to be made into a movie a few times but fell through.

The body in the hotel matress has happened a few times too.

DiCaprio bought the movie rights based on the book "The Devil in the White City". No guesses for who the director is :p

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not getting into this season at all

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not getting into this season at all

It's not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I like it admittedly, but it is ridiculously stupid. Previous seasons were always fantastical but had some grounding in a sense of reality...this one is just all over the place and never believable at all, every development is a massive stretch, the characters just accept everything that's happening without a second thought.

Rather different to the other seasons. Not as good as the first two, a lot better than the third season, and so far about on par with the forth season for me - but hopefully it won't drop off sharply like S4 did.

• Advertisement

I really miss Seasons 2 and 1. (In that order.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its a bit nuts alright but I have to say I'm liking it a lot more than last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

JohnK wrote: »
    Its a bit nuts alright but I have to say I'm liking it a lot more than last season.

Same. I thought Freak Show was awful. Hotel still isn't as good as Murder House or Coven but it's still pretty enjoyable, even with Wes Bentley's terrible acting and some of the more random stuff.

I hope next season picks one theme/plot and sticks with it. I think they've been trying to do too much with the last few seasons and it all just ends up being a mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

I think its brilliant. Nothing else like it at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I haven't missed an episode of any of AHS since season one so its safe to say I'm a fan.
    I've liked different seasons for different reasons(although I think the vast majority of AHS fans will concede that Asylum was the very best).
    Coven was my least fav but there was still some fantastic moments even at that.

In relation to Hotel, I think Gaga is great in the role! She is just cold enough to play a modern vampire role with lurching into stereotypes. And her outfits are stellar.
    I think with a series like AHS, each season has to viewed as a "stand alone". Some have more camp, some have more gore and some more menace(tips hat to Asylum :D)

The bed thing is freaking me out tbh :o (also the titles are great too)
    I love Evan Peters campness. I thought the Devils night thing was a bit odd tbh but am willing to play along to see Lily Rabe again.

Anyway, that's my tuppence for now....hey, its better than having to watch xfactor :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Smidge wrote: »
    I haven't missed an episode of any of AHS since season one so its safe to say I'm a fan.
    I've liked different seasons for different reasons(although I think the vast majority of AHS fans will concede that Asylum was the very best).
    Coven was my least fav but there was still some fantastic moments even at that.

In relation to Hotel, I think Gaga is great in the role! She is just cold enough to play a modern vampire role with lurching into stereotypes. And her outfits are stellar.
    I think with a series like AHS, each season has to viewed as a "stand alone". Some have more camp, some have more gore and some more menace(tips hat to Asylum :D)

The bed thing is freaking me out tbh :o (also the titles are great too)
    I love Evan Peters campness. I thought the Devils night thing was a bit odd tbh but am willing to play along to see Lily Rabe again.

Anyway, that's my tuppence for now....hey, its better than having to watch xfactor :eek::D

I'd rate Asylum as the best season hands down. Sister Mary Eunice.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

Asylum was hands down the best
    Coven was ok
    Freak Show started off slow but in end was actually good

I really thought in the freak show Dandy Mott was Dr. Oliver Thredson in freak show years later, that would been a great but they never linked them together . same as Elsa Mars would of been easy to link to Sister Jude Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Loved them all except Coven.
    The only good thing about it was a voodoo bloke. He was genuinely scary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

If I were to order them from best to worse it would be 2, 5, 4, 1, 3

Advertisement