Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to be a landscape gardener

Options
  • 19-03-2011 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I have looked quite a bit online but cannot find any good information on how to go about becoming a landscape gardener in Ireland.

Are there any collage courses that would be relevant to landscaping, such is the situation in our country at the moment I imagine there are better opportunities abroad.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

whiteboy wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I have looked quite a bit online but cannot find any good information on how to go about becoming a landscape gardener in Ireland.

Are there any collage courses that would be relevant to landscaping, such is the situation in our country at the moment I imagine there are better opportunities abroad.

Botanic Gardens and ITB Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

I completed that course in the bots and blanchardstown. Dont think they run it in conjunction anymore!! Kildalton and waterford IT run a course too. Plently of level 5 courses you could do all over the country.

I have been at this lark since i left school 10 years ago. Never seen it so quiet so yea prob a lot more options abroad. Landscaping is seen as a luxury these days im afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Holuc

whatever about landscaping being seen as a discretionary spend especially in the current climate. Like many other service industries, there has been a post-boom significant re-adjustment But there is still plenty of landscaping work taking place. Sure companies come and go, even during the good times.

Hardly surprising if some refer to what they do as a 'lark'.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Hi have you considered a FAs course. They run landscape construction courses for a 6/7 week period in various locations. They also run a Landscape Management and Maintenance programme for 40 weeks. If you are on the live register FAS takes over your social welfare payment and pays you a training allowance along with either a petrol or accommodation allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

My Brother is a Landscape gardener and went to college in Termonfekin, Co. Louth. Not sure of course name tho - best of luck - he loves it.

• Advertisement

Holuc

whatever about landscaping being seen as a discretionary spend especially in the current climate. Like many other service industries, there has been a post-boom significant re-adjustment But there is still plenty of landscaping work taking place. Sure companies come and go, even during the good times.

Hardly surprising if some refer to what they do as a 'lark'.:confused:

Sonnenblumen

I think you should know that since I completed my course I have been in full time employment in a management position. The company I work for has been around long before the boom and the fly-by night landscapers arrived. It will be around long after they and this recession has gone. I take great pride in my work and put a lot of great care and attention into my work.

If you had taken the time to read my post more closely, rather than pick up on a word which was used loosely, you would have noticed that I have been in the industry since I left school 10 years ago and therefore of course this would have been the quietest i've seen the industry.

I replied to this post merely to give the OP some advice which, by the way I notice you didn't bother to give.

Please don't criticise the work ethic of someone you know nothing about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

You probably should start with a course in horticulture, you will learn about growing plants, understanding soils, seed sowing, plant breeding, etc. then work from there....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

holuc wrote: »
    Sonnenblumen

I think you should know that since I completed my course I have been in full time employment in a management position. The company I work for has been around long before the boom and the fly-by night landscapers arrived. It will be around long after they and this recession has gone. I take great pride in my work and put a lot of great care and attention into my work.

If you had taken the time to read my post more closely, rather than pick up on a word which was used loosely, you would have noticed that I have been in the industry since I left school 10 years ago and therefore of course this would have been the quietest i've seen the industry.

I replied to this post merely to give the OP some advice which, by the way I notice you didn't bother to give.

Please don't criticise the work ethic of someone you know nothing about.

I did and you didn't. I'm even more surprised by your original comments, I would be very surprised to read any manager referr to what they do as a 'lark'. Hardly professional speak. Anyways, I'm too busy to be fussing over your predictament.

If you have no advice to give to the original question why bother posting on the thread!! Your obviously not that busy so, if ya can waste your time picking up on menial things. :confused:

Anyway OP hope you get some good advice from this thread and the best of luck with whatever course you decide is for you.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Will you 2 ever shut up and stop going off topic please.

Take it to PMs if you wanna have a go at each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement