Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recind, please.

Options
  • 19-03-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭

hello, i'd like to have this curious ban done away with. and on top of this the mod's position reconsidered - i have already contacted him on a one to one to hopefully have come to his senses but whoever and wherever he is; no answer. not only does it seem an injustice to have a mild joke that referred to the early hours of st patricks day as my own personal 'valentines day' yet was only tied in as part of a pats day related pun. to not just jokingly rectify via quote but actually hide behind 'trolling' as some sort of definitive explanation suggests maybe one who should probably not mod a place like "After Hours" - in all fairness.

"Happy Valentines Day - i have now banished the snake back into my pants. brew's green, smokes green - good times." a throwaway comment on st pats day, in the after hours and on top of this, if already not ban-worthy enough he bestowed a 3 month - yes three month - ban, for that. also suggests a grudge, from a practical lurker in the position to mod. not really mod material. so hopefully common sense prevails here. if not recinded i will pursue it further; but i'm almost certain thats unnecessary. thanks to you.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

- may be a she, excuse me. but if (s)he can't always be a good mod; i'd at least expect them to be more careful

on viewing post counts clearly quite the established member that frequents and on a personal level doesn't want someone around her turf?

cheers.

also had practically just returned from a 2 month ban off another AH mod.. which was suspiciously long duration in itself - just because i poked fun at the band in the thread The Script. in AH. that thread was asking for it essentially 'trolling' in the wrong section, an essentially freelance modest troll category that is 'After Hours'?

thinking of removing my location, just in case of a bias - as 90% or thereabouts for some reason lists theirs as anonymous. may be a little paranoid, as you can hopefully understand but maybe its for the best and they are wiser for it

- awaiting; cheers.

and let me not forget how the mod did not relay the ban in said thread; quoting what for and for how long as is the typical procedure - which i think is most telling as it would have only appeared a farce.

- cheers.

.. this may fall on deaf ears as i stumbled across this in a 'resolved' banned thread below - and wonder just what i am up against. relieves some paranoia somewhat, maybe - only to be replaced with another.
    DB10, sorry this has taken so long. Often, in many forums (AH being one of them), cumulative racking up of bans, prolongs the length of the next ban.

:confused: i have never seen that elsewhere. not to say it doesn't exist; but i've been around some forums in my time. so you could potentially say something really horrendous and get 2 days; on the other hand having accumulated nothing infractions you could say something a mod (who may see an opportunity in having checked your history) could banish you for a really long duration, for essentially nothing?! long as the opportunity arises, in which case you'd have to be threading really thin ice in comparison to what others may escape even an infraction for.

DB10 gave up at that point i think. and the jury saw the opportunity to say "user has not replied so i will set to - resolved."

.. good luck.

you know what you take responsibility as mods and that includes to other mods if necessary at all times. try not to hide behind the suggestion of an 'automated' ban duration. little mafioso cartel running over here sometimes i think; but with less balls maybe

- don't shirk responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm looking into this now. A few things, yes bans can increase in duration as a poster racks them up. It depends on the circumstances and is at the discretion of the mod who makes the ban. Also, we don't always give a reason and duration in an onthread post. In fact, I pretty much never do it. As above it depends on the circumstances and is at the discretion of the mod who makes the ban.

I'll get back to you when I'm done looking into your ban.

ok. sorry for the delay just shorten the thing at least; its too much if any was even warranted. said mods should reconsider ban circumstances > duration because i don't even know anymore its getting to the point my own AH judgment is becoming skewed when such examples are laid down by people in the position to do so

and apologies for multi-strop last night. cheers

be sure to take your time fretting over the complexities of the case.

Advertisement