Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT** Dog Autopsy

• 19-03-2011 4:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can get this done and How much will it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I don't know OP but if you ring UCD Vet Hospital they might do it or will know who you need to contact.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your vet will be able to arrange it for you (I know mine does but I'm not sure if all vets offer the service of arraning it on for you). AFAIK, they don't do it on the premises but deal with an external body (which could be UCD - I'm not totally clear on details). Cost will vary, depending on what you want done (tissue sampling etc. will be more). Give your vet a ring and they will either be able to point you in the right direction or sort it out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Getting it done very quickly is important as there are a lot of changes that start right away. Also, if the body has been frozen some tests will not work and you will get an incomplete result. As it's the weekend, you may be out of luck until Monday, by when it will be too late to get accurate results.
    Also, as far as I know, it's not cheap to get a full post mortem done, although I couldn't give you specifics.
    Most local vets can do a very cursory job- (ie- anything visible to the naked eye) but if you're concerned about poisoning or microscopic stuff it will have to go to an external lab, and given that it's a weekend I doubt you'll have much luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

UCD Vet Hospital do post mortems and theyre currently free of charge. It needs to be organised through your vet though. It needs to be submitted asap, ideally refrigerate (not freeze) the body until this can be done. It takes 6-8 weeks for a report.

Advertisement