Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man UTD V Bolton - 3pm

• 19-03-2011 9:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

152147.png
    Manchester United will look to overcome an ever-growing injury list as they invite Bolton to Old Trafford.

It's tight at the top, and Sir Alex Ferguson will be targeting nothing less than three points as United try to maintain a slender three-point lead at the top, albeit having played a game more than Arsenal.

Saturday will mark a special occasion for Coyle, who makes his first trip to Old Trafford as manager after missing out last season amidst his switch from Burnley to Bolton.

Coyle's Trotters will look to close the gap on sixth place and Liverpool, with a day's head start giving Bolton the chance to pile pressure on the Reds.

The reverse fixture at the Reebok Stadium in September saw a stuttering United drop points in a 2-2 draw, twice being forced to come back from a goal down to salvage a point.

United news

Ferguson has spent the week in the headlines and will be forced to watch the game from an elevated vantage point as Saturday marks the beginning of the manager's five-match touchline ban.

The injury troubles have not eased for the Red Devils, with the news that a makeshift defence will be required until the end of the season with Rio Ferdinand likely ruled out for the duration of the title run-in.

Paul Scholes is suspended for racking up the yellow cards, while defenders John O'Shea and Rafael both pulled up painfully in midweek with hamstring issues.

One player who could soon make a welcome return is Park Ji-sung, a ray of light in amongst a heavy injury list including the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Anderson and Anders Lindegaard.

Darren Fletcher will hope to be involved if he can shake off a bug in time for Saturday, while despite returning to training, it is unlikely Michael Owen and Owen Hargreaves will feature.

Bolton news

With Coyle recently warning his men against keeping an eye on the FA Cup, one player who certainly won't be is the ineligible Daniel Sturridge, set for a return to the side after a weekend off.

Midfielder Mark Davies looks set to miss out with an ankle injury, while despite recently returning to fitness, Gretar Steinsson will need to shake off a virus before the game.

The game at Old Trafford has come too quickly for both Jlloyd Samuel and Joey O'Brien, who despite returning to training are unlikely to feature.

Possible starting XIs:
    Man Utd: Van der Sar, Fabio, Brown, Smalling, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Robinson, Steinsson, Cahill, Wheater, Muamba, Holden, Petrov, Davies, Elmander, Sturridge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Bolton will try and make it as tough for us as they can, but I fail to see them getting a result at all. Comprehensive win for United, 3-0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nailz wrote: »
    Bolton will try and make it as tough for us as they can, but I fail to see them getting a result at all. Comprehensive win for United, 3-0.
    Really, with no Rio, Vidic, O'Shea or Rafael?

I think we can win but I don't think we will keep a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

3-2 bolton, Danny and elmander to throw open the title race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

VDS

Fabio Smalling Brown Evra

Valencia Fletcher Carrick Nani

Rooney

Hernandez

3-1 to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I want to see Hernandez keep his place ahead of Berbatov today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Can't see past a United win here. I hope to see our Danny get on the score-sheet though.

United 3-1 Bolton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Will this be on anything ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be a home win, but I would back Bolton to score. If they score first, they might hold on for a draw - otherwise 2-1 for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Will this be on anything ?

It's on Setanta Sports 1, coverage starts at 2pm if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Late winner for United...may or may not include dodgy ref decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hernandez should play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Whoops...thanks for pointing that out ShamoBuc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Late winner for United...may or may not include dodgy ref decision.

a sense of déja vu was apparent;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im going for a Utd win 2-1,Bolton will really fancy there chances with Vidic and Rio out,be intersesting to see how Smalling and Brown do today against Davies and Elmander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hargreaves to make a surprise appearance on the bench today?

Worried about the centre of defence today, especially with Davies and Elmander playing for Bolton.
    Toss of a coin who I'd prefer to partner Smalling today between Brown and Evans.

Even though he had a poor game mid week, I'd probably still just give the nod to Brown and he has a stronger presence than Evans and is better in the air, so less likely to get bullied.

Once we don't have a defensive collapse I can see a 3-1 victory to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Utd to win easily,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is only on setanta Sports 1, not setanta Ireland right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Real tough game today. Bolton play good football and its the footballing sides that seem to do well in the wide open spaces of OT. With the defenders missing as they are, a win would be a huge result today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Really tough game even though we're at home. I expect Bolton to target our two CB with long balls, set pieces and corner. Let's just hope Rooney and Hernandez do the business at the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trilla wrote: »
    This is only on setanta Sports 1, not setanta Ireland right?

Yep, it's a strange one. Usually it would be Setanta Ireland. I'd say very few people have Setanta Sports 1. Feck it anyway, stream it is.

Anything other than a home win will be a massive shock.

4-1

People are seriously underestimating Bolton here. Very good team and giving Liverpool a run for their money for 6th. Tough afternoon ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I was looking at 4-1, odds are 80-1. Maybe worth a punt.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    People are seriously underestimating Bolton here. Very good team and giving Liverpool a run for their money for 6th. Tough afternoon ahead.

Yeah I know, thinking we'll beat Bolton by 80 goals is slightly ambitious :mad:

I'll take a scrappy, nervous 1-0 win right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was looking at 4-1, odds are 80-1. Maybe worth a punt.
    Where you getting 80-1? 18-1 on PP :confused:

Aye, but our PL home record has been formidable this season.

Pld W D L F A GD
    14 13 1 0 39 9 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I always feel like Bolton are a bogey team even though stats say otherwise.
    I'm keeping that mentality and I'm gonna go with IvySlayer with a nervy 1 0 win to United. That will do me fine.

Dave! wrote: »
    Where you getting 80-1? 18-1 on PP :confused:

Ah yeah, I was looking at second half correct score market:o I thought that meant the score at the end of the second half, didn't see the correct score market. Thank **** I had no funds in the account.

My prediction of the utd team..

VDS, Evra, Smalling, Brown, Fabio, Valencia, Carrick, Gibson, Nani, Berbatov, Rooney.

• Advertisement

Aye, but our PL home record has been formidable this season.

Pld W D L F A GD
    14 13 1 0 39 9 30

Indeed. Still won't be the cakewalk some are predicting, especially without out centre backs. We concede twice as many goals - literally - when Rio is missing.

If Berba starts then I'm going with him to score 2 or more, just in case he wants to make a point/try and secure the golden boot

Team:

#MUFC team v #BWFC: VDS; Brown, Smalling, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani; Rooney, Hernandez

Dave! wrote: »
    If Berba starts then I'm going with him to score 2 or more, just in case he wants to make a point/try and secure the golden boot
    Team:

#MUFC team v #BWFC: VDS; Brown, Smalling, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani; Rooney, Hernandez

I think I hear crying...

Giggs at CM is OK. Just remember his immense performance against Chelsea.

Subs:

#MUFC subs v #BWFC: Kuszczak, Owen, Berbatov, Park, Fabio, Gibson, Gill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Giggs and Carrick in CM. Words fail me.

• Advertisement

Happy enough with that team. Berbs will be very frustrated but I'm drooling over the Chico/Rooney pairing so delighted they play again.

I didn't even realise Brown, Smalling and Evans all starting. Shít.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Giggs and Carrick in CM. Words fail me.

Who else is there? Scholes not in the squad and played midweek.

Its either Giggs or Gibbo.

Giggs please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

is fletcher injured or what?

Fuck me sideways

• Advertisement

is fletcher injured or what?

Virus according to BBC.

Giggs please.

It's quite depressing that the midfield has come to this, though.

Delighted about the top 4.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I didn't even realise Brown, Smalling and Evans all starting. Shít.
    It might be a bit much asking Fabio to start out of position, SAF just trying to keep some experience at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

1 start in 6 games for Berba :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Looking forward to seeing Nani, Valenica, Rooney, and Chico together.

The defense and midfield mean we will probably need two or three goals if we are going to win this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Valeroonandez up top - niiiiice.

Yeah I'm trademarking that, bitch.

Giggs please.
    Hargreaves :pac:

I can only dream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A win is crucial going into the international break. Not too confident of a clean sheet, can see a scrappy 2-1. Maybe 3-1 if Berbatov comes off the bench and nicks one late on.

It might be a bit much asking Fabio to start out of position, SAF just trying to keep some experience at the back.

None of them can organise, though. Brown and Smalling are a mess together at CB and when Evans is thrown in too, I sense disaster.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Valeroonandez up top - niiiiice.

Yeah I'm trademarking that, bitch.

Waychicoenicia.

:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement