Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man UTD V Bolton - 3pm

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kess73 wrote: »
    Seems to me that if the law of the game is followed to the letter, then both players should have gotten a red card.

I wonder how would the ref have dealt with it if the players had done the same but had no serious injury between them.

Reminds me of when Kyrgiakos and Fellaini both went in hard with studs showing. Both players should have gotten cards going by the rules, but the injured player escaped a card despite his tackle carrying the same threat of injury.

Heard a few people on the radio cackling about whether Ferguson would be as vocal about this challenge as he was about the Carragher one, but despite how bad the injury was today I don't think the tackles can be compared.

Today's tackle was one where either player could have gotten that injury, and both players went in fairly and with no malice from what I can see from the replays, the Carragher tackle is one that I cannot defend.

Either I,m going blind or the need to suck op to other fans in an effort to be seen as the ultimate balanced user has reached new heights today.

Both players were committed to get the ball, evens went in dangerously for it Holden tried to play it, I dont see how he did anything wrong. I don't think evens intenged to be as reckless as he was either but he did deserve his red imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The Muppet wrote: »
    Either I,m going blind or the need to suck op to other fans in an effort to be seen as the ultimate balanced user has reached new heights today.

Both players were committed to get the ball, evens went in dangerously for it Holden tried to play it, I dont see how he did anything wrong. I don't think evens intenged to be as reckless as he was either but he did deserve his red imo.

Personally I think neither should have seen red, but by the letter of the law I'm not surprised Evans went. I think if Holden had popped up and hadn't been incapacitated there probably wouldn't even have been a free kick given.

That doesn't mean it wasn't reckless by Evans, because it was an it deserved a red card on the basis of the rules of the game. Wasn't that long ago that pundits would be salivating over that tackle all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It looks like both could have been sent off but because it was the Bolton player who came out with the injury then Evans was the one sent off

Only saw it on Motd there now,

Exactly how I saw it, especially when you see the freeze frame they showed (ref is never going to see it like that I know)

But as you say, because Holden came out with the injury, Evans saw red. Both were as committed and wreckless as each other for me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Only saw it on Motd there now,

Exactly how I saw it, especially when you see the freeze frame they showed (ref is never going to see it like that I know)

But as you say, because Holden came out with the injury, Evans saw red. Both were as committed and wreckless as each other for me anyways.

Both may have been reckless but Holden didnt take a piece of Evans leg, big difference there when the referee is trying to assess the situation on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Both may have been reckless but Holden didnt take a piece of Evans leg, big difference there when the referee is trying to assess the situation on the spot.

I understand that, I just think he was unlucky.

For me they both were reckless, and once you leave the ground, like both of them did, you lose control and anything can happen.

It was not as bad as other red cards I have seen this season, he did deserve it as you say he caught him - but it could easily have been the other way around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

straight red every time, sloppy but expected after being out for some time. In the meantime, a victory worthy of champions!

Good job Arsenal got 2 back to keep some suspense in it though.

My other team is Rennes and they pulled off a feat almost as satisfying as Man utd's victory today given the state of the league table. I would also like to thank Ireland for not donating England with a grand slam, what a day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Iago wrote: »
    Personally I think neither should have seen red, but by the letter of the law I'm not surprised Evans went. I think if Holden had popped up and hadn't been incapacitated there probably wouldn't even have been a free kick given.

That doesn't mean it wasn't reckless by Evans, because it was an it deserved a red card on the basis of the rules of the game. Wasn't that long ago that pundits would be salivating over that tackle all the same.

20 years ago, I remember going into the same type of tackle and the other guys doign the same, both got the ball at the same time thankfully and the ref came over and said "well done lads, great tackle".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Holden out for 6 months.

Misses the biggest day of his career, cup semi at Wembley :(

Good luck lad !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/9431341.stm
    Bolton midfielder Stuart Holden is expected to be sidelined for six months after sustaining a knee injury at Manchester United on Saturday.

United defender Jonny Evans was sent off for the challenge which hurt Holden during the Premier League leaders' win.

Holden, 25, has had 26 stitches in the wound and it rules him out of Bolton's FA Cup semi-final against Stoke.

"First and foremost, our main concern is Stuart and his recovery," said Bolton boss Owen Coyle.

"He will get all the time and support he needs. Stuart has been outstanding this season and has shown he is one of the best midfielders in the Barclays Premier League.

"He has such desire, strength of character and a winning mentality and he will draw on those attributes in his rehabilitation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

:)

stuholden Stuart Holden
    Well, on the bright side.. im trending on twitter.. ive officially made it!! ha ha !!
    8 minutes ago

Advertisement