Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming to keep 'surf fit'

Options
  • 19-03-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Right so, Flat as a [insert inappropriate metaphor here] down the south these days. So I'm tryin to hit the pool a bit more to keep it going.

At the moment I just go down and do laps but does any one know if doing sprint laps is better than just straight continuous swimming?Or is there some other form of swimming that I have yet to be acquainted with that is better?

Figured I'd post here rather than the swimming forum at frist anyways.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Im no expert but i would think that doing the excercise that best replicates things you do while surfing would be the best. So id say the sprint paddles might be best so as to work on your explosive training.... maybe the continuous slow swim would be better for cardio and your general stamina out in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Stick a float board between your knees and lock your ankles to force your arms to work harder. Turn around at each end of the pool instead of kicking off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

I've been swimming regularly for the last few months since I recovered from my knee, elbow and shoulderblade injury - I'm doing continuos swim with turn for 1h, 5 to 7 times per week.

It is proven that bursts on your exercise (or peaks) will get you better results - my opinion is that bursts will resemble a surf session better than continuos - the pool has flat water and no hazards besides he small kids crossing the lanes - the sea will have waves, tides, some movements limited by your wetsuit and your carrying an epoxy sandwich with you

Burss would be the way to go and don't limit to your paddling technique but make sure you rotate your swimming styles to work all muscles - breathin is essential to help you endure those extra seconds after a wipeout with less air than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i've taken to sea swimming lately and pool stuff doesn't come close to getting worst as fit

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

Nice one for the replies guys

So for the burst swims do you just do one length and stop and recover for 30secs (or whatever time) or is it like interval running ie. sprint jog, sprint jog.

As for sea swimming, you just head down the beach and swim cross shore yeah (ensuring you have someone with you and all that )? You do that in your normal wetsuit? strikes that would be really restrictive and fookin raosting after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

yea, fairly restrictive but sure you may as well replicate conditions and i'm fairly sure you wont get too warm in your wetsuit this time of year.

Pool swimming and sea swimming is chalk & cheese. In a pool you don't get rolling seas,, no swimming under sets, hold downs, wildlife etc etc (i've only ever swim in the ocean when my leash snaps!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

+1

as for the training, what you suggested is correct - basically swim as fast as possible for 1 pool, then swim and a slow pace for the next 4... i would start by trying to do 10 mins of this - when comfortable with heart rate reduce the slow pace pool to 3, then 2... From there, try to increase the time... Speak with your local instructor to check if this would work for you and make sure you ask him if you're breathing correctly while swimming

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bof

Here is a simple but effective swim workout for surf fitness

warm up 200m

three sets 16x25 meters

Set 1 swim at 65-70% (10 sec rest after each 25)
    set 2 swim at 75-80% (10 sec rest after each 25)
    set 3 swim at 90-95% (10 sec rest after each 25)

Cooldown

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

nice one again for the replies,

BOF's training looks pretty bad ass, but not really sure my body is capable of that many lengths yet. Do about 40-50 lengths at the moment so bumpin it up to what 85 or so? thats quite the leap. Though with the breaks thrown in maybe not as hard core as it looks

Reckon I'll start off luisspellcast's suggestion first see how I get on with it.

Come on the waves!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

The swimming will help overall but I have yet to find a stroke that simulates paddling out. I swim 2-3 eves a week usually 1.5k or 2.5 if going long in under the hour so am I reasonably good swimmer but if I have not been surfing in a few weeks the arms are hanging off me after a few paddles out. Tried the rescue stroke whicjh is goggles off and head up out of the water focusing on something dead ahead, shoulders are a lot higher but still dont find the same muscles being used as when I am on the board. jKeep the swimming up anyway for general fitness just dont expect it to equate with not getting tired arms paddling out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement