Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting chocolate biscuit cake out of the tin??

Options
  • 19-03-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Hi,

I've just made a large chocolate biscuit cake for a wedding....it is welded solid into the tin! I have wrapped it in clingfilm, but that is no help in getting it out. Any time I made it before I made it in a spring form cake tin, but this one is a good bit bigger. I am banging it, trying to wedge it, everything, but it's stuck solid....

Any advice????

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Put it into a basin of warm water for a short while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Thanks! Tried it a few times, still not budging!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Do you have access to one of those hand held blow torches?
    A quick like with one of those around the edges and bottom might help but it could melt your base if delayed.

+1 on the hot water technique previously mentioned..

Maybe placer the tin over a simmering pan of water and give it a bash then?

Where's the almighty Spadina when you need her?! :pac:

Can you poke in a knife and cut it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sorry Lornen, I'm no good on this one :) I use greaseproof paper in the tin instead of clingfilm which makes it slide out much easier, then I normally just turn them upside down and bang them on a cake board til they fall out if they're not in a springform or loose base tin.

• Advertisement

Have tried the knife to no avail. Will try placing in simmering water. I don't have a blow torch, but going to my Mam's later and she might have some magical instrument that will help me out. Will let you know how I get on.

+1 on the greaseproof Spadina, I never have less than 3 rolls in my house at one time. :P

OP, has the chocolate cake been sitting in room temp for long?

Maybe give it a little while to warm up naturally before you try blowing it's gizzards out with a knife.

All the best!

OP word of warning if you plan to use blow torch, your cling film might melt onto the cake.

When you put it in hot water, was it boiling water? That might be your best bet. Then get a pallette knife and try to slide it all the way around the cake, then try the banging it upside down again. Basically combine all techniques!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

+1 with Spadina. There is no universal solution. Have to shake my own out of a 12" and 4" high invicta tins. So mind your fingers as it is quite heavy. :) And be patient. And do not worry about dents in it. You can always plaster them with melted chocolate when the cake is eventually out. Good luck

Thanks a million!!

Found a man and got him to keep hammering it til the cake came out, and yep he is moaning about sore fingers since, but its worth it!!

Thanks for all the advice :)

• Advertisement

solovely wrote: »
    Thanks a million!!

Found a man and got him to keep hammering it til the cake came out, and yep he is moaning about sore fingers since, but its worth it!!

Thanks for all the advice :)

lol they are useful then :D

I'm glad it finally came out! is it still looking ok?

Only a few small dents, mainly at the bottom (now top) so not too bad.
    Have the marzipan on it now, so looking smooth. Dreading the fondant layer, but hopefully all will go to plan.

It's my first attempt (and last I think!!) at doing a wedding cake, all the practice runs have gone well, but this is bigger and scarier!! The scariest is the top layer, which is chocolate fudge. It came out hollow in the middle, so some guests are going to be getting a big chunk of icing instead of cake :o

Have the marzipan on it now, so looking smooth.

Marzipan? On chocolate biscuit cake?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have the marzipan on it now

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't do it on any of the trial cakes, but any of the sugarcraft books/ websites I read said it was the only way to get it smooth. Personally I hate the stuff, but it's easy to pick off. Looks good anyway ;)

Why so bad? (although it's done now so don't think I really want to know....)

I didn't do it on any of the trial cakes, but any of the sugarcraft books/ websites I read said it was the only way to get it smooth. Personally I hate the stuff, but it's easy to pick off. Looks good anyway ;)

Why so bad? (although it's done now so don't think I really want to know....)

Marzipan is such a deep, rich intensely sweet flavour. I couldn't imagine it with chocolate.

But in saying that I detest marzipan with a passion.

Hope everyone enjoys it though!

Only bad because I cannot imagine the taste of it with chocolate biscuit cake, ugh, would it not seep into the chocolate? *shudder*

That is such a lie about it being the only way to get a smooth cake, I cover choc bisc cakes all the time and have never used even another layer of fondant, never mind marzipan!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

yep, I've never used marzipan or a second layer of icing either. The main thing is to make sure that the biscuit cake is as smooth as you can get it, before putting the icing on. I'm not a marzipan fan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

sometimes marzipan and chocolate works http://www.germandeli.com/rittersport2.html om nyom!

I made the marzipan myself and put drinking chocolate in it, to help overcome the strong almond flavour. Left out most of the flavourings, so hopefully it won't be as strong, but any wedding I've been at, people just pick off the icing anyway and go straight for the cake ;)
    Although it'll look really bad at the wedding when people notice me picking off the icing myself :o

sometimes marzipan and chocolate works http://www.germandeli.com/rittersport2.html om nyom!
    Yuck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Cardenkelly

I've had a good chuckle at the advice given here, blow torch, lol.
    If anyone comes here looking for a solution here's my advice.
    The difficulty has NOTHING to do with how hard the chocolate has set and is the result of the vacuum when extracting the cake.
    1: place dowel between cling film and side of tin. When taken out after set it allows air to get in when tipped.
    2: oil the tin before placing the cling film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Clingfilm is so last year :) It's all about acetate strips now, they just slide out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome to Boards Cardenkelly :)

I'm going to have to close this thread because it's been dead for over six years, which is far to old for a revival especially since the problem was solved. Feel free to contribute to the more recent threads, or to start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement