Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting rid of hedge/ bush

Options
  • 19-03-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently cut back an ugly hedge/ bush that was at the end of the garden - I want to replace it with something more attractive. There are 4 remaining parts of the hedge which I want to remove but they are firmly rooted.

Any suggestions as to easiest way to kill them off?

Thanks.

plant 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dig the roots up.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Dig the roots up.

Yeah. Thanks for that.

Do you know an easier way? As mentioned the roots are firmly planted and I would rather kill them off to be certain of getting rid of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

justo wrote: »
    Yeah. Thanks for that.

Do you know an easier way? As mentioned the roots are firmly planted and I would rather kill them off to be certain of getting rid of them.

I had a tree like this that grew at a very fast rate, was too lazy to dig it out so cut to the stump and had a log fire ontop of it and it killed it and burnt it out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Spangles

There are different liquid products that can be applied directly onto the stump/root. Here's a link to one I found

www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/roundup-tree-stump-root-killer

I would be very careful when using it if there are animals/pets that may come into contact with it. Am sure they advise accordingly i.e. tying plastic bag over treated stump.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

Yeah. Thanks for that.

hi, i can recomend you SKB root killer. you can buy it in hardwarde shop for about 15e. you have to drill couple of holes in each stump, then apply SBK with paint brush or something similar to those holes and all over, and then cover stumps with plastic bag. you have to be very carefull as this is strong poison, keep away from kids and pets and other plants in garden. use gloves

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Co0Chl9AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Hi,

I recently cut back an ugly hedge/ bush that was at the end of the garden - I want to replace it with something more attractive. There are 4 remaining parts of the hedge which I want to remove but they are firmly rooted.

Any suggestions as to easiest way to kill them off?

Thanks.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Dig the roots up.
    Yeah. Thanks for that.

If you want to replant then you will need to dig the ground and replace nutrients lost to the hedge which has been growing there for the past few years, i.e. dig in compost and break up the soil. While you are digging remove what's left of the roots it won't take long and you will be certain of getting rid of them.

Sprays, potions, lotions and bonfires will not remove the roots however a wee bit of sweat and effort will.

Not everything in gardening can be resolved with a handy off the shelf wonder chemical. :)

If you are unable to dig for whatever reason then enlist the services of a local handyman/gardener who will have them out in no time for small money.

Advertisement