Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

proof of a drinking problem

• 19-03-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Does this prove I have a drink problem, I am in a new apartment 6 weeks and there are 19 empty bottles of red wine to be diposed of and a 10 bottles of beer, I have also had a few pints outside of my apartment each saturday ive been here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Does this prove I have a drink problem, I am in a new apartment 6 weeks and there are 19 empty bottles of red wine to be diposed of and a 10 bottles of beer, I have also had a few pints outside of my apartment each saturday ive been here?
    Sounds like a lot but only you can know if you're controlling the drink or if the drink is controlling you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Only you know if you have a drink problem, Is it effecting your life in anyway, hangovers,mood swings,anxiety, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Companero

is that just you or are you getting through that with friends?

Even still, Id want to be drinking one or most of one each night to be worrying about alcohol problems, which in 6 weeks would mean more like 40 bottles of wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Companero wrote: »
    Even still, Id want to be drinking one or most of one each night to be worrying about alcohol problems, which in 6 weeks would mean more like 40 bottles of wine.
    A drinking problem doesn't just come down to the quantity you drink. It's about when you drink, how often, why and what effect it has on your body and your life. Long term alcoholics generally can't handle more than 3 or 4 drinks because their livers are so fecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I drank that all on my own, id have bottle of wine mid week but may 3 or 4 on the weekends, im just worried about my liver but it hasnt had any other negetive effect aprt from feeling like crap sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Regular drinking is not necessarily a problem – in Mediterranean cultures families will usually have wine with dinner on most days. But they just have a glass or two. Few people in those countries see any problem with drinking like that.

The truth is, it varies from person to person,most people know they have a problem even before other people tell them. Basically it is if the negative consequences are more than the positive ones. But there are many signs to look out for -
    • if you’re looking forward to a drink more than the other things in your life,
    • if you’re often feeling depressed or guilty – like you need to hide how much you’re drinking from others, or even having a ‘secret’ drink when you can get away with it,
    • if you’ve ever noticed a pile of your empties and thought ‘wow, that’s getting big’,:rolleyes:
    • if the following day, you can’t concentrate on what you need to, because you ‘just can’t face it today’ – (you’re too hungover),
    • if you’re finding it difficult to look people in the eye, because you think they might be judging you,
    • if you’re buying a bottle during the day, do you buy lots of groceries with it to hide the fact that you’re buying alcohol before lunchtime?
    • but one of the surest signs is this – if you’re hungover, and you start thinking ‘just one drink will take this hangover away’, then you’ve definitely got a problem.Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A bottle of wine has 9 units of alcohol in it and, assuming you're a man, it's not recommended to drink more than 21 units a week, so 2 bottles basically. If you're drinking a bottle during the week and 3 or 4 on the weekends, you're drinking an amount that is considered unwise, to say the least.

Try a weekend with no alcohol or cut it back to one bottle of wine or three or four beers. If you are unable to do that, it could be a sign of a problem with your attitude/approach to drinking, as others have said it is important to consider why you are drinking as well as how much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement