Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog grooming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭zoby

I have the first Wahl clipper and its great :) The mini trimmer is very handy for trimming around the paws.

I have been using it on my Cav for about two years and tbh its just trial and error as to what length attachment you use. The one thing to remember is that the hair WILL grow again :D

I do find that its easier to use a scissors on the legs and the mini trimmer on the feet. I have found leaving the ears long is also more attractive (can you tell my girl has had some shocking 'do's :eek: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Yup, Charlies hair always grows back within a few weeks of me cutting him!:rolleyes:
    Is the Wahl relatively(sp?) easy to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭zoby

sotisme wrote: »

Is the Wahl relatively(sp?) easy to use?

Yeah easy as :D

I do find it a bit heavy and the vibration can be a bit annoying after a while so i alternate between clipping and scissoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Always work the clippers with the flow or grain of the coat for a smooth finish, so you don't get train track marks on coat. When using clippers on underbelly, inside legs, armpits, inside ears or around the anus make sure you only use the blade (NO ATTACHMENTS). It is a safety blade so you will never cut your dogs skin by mistake. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll go with the first one then :) Do you cut in the direction the hair is growing in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

yes always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I don't really find those clippers very good. They're fine and they work and all, but it takes way longer and it's more work. Professional dog clippers are way better but are like €200 . . .

Really? Whats the difference between professional dog clippers and those? The wahl ones seem pretty simple so I think they might still be best ....

Apoloies for dragging up an old thread, mods please delete if its against the rules. But 2 years later the wahl one isn't working so well and I've decided to go ahead with the professional clippers. But I have no idea
    i)where to get them
    ii)what brands there are
    iii)what models are the best
    iv)how they work ect ect.

Any info would gratefully be appreciated!:)
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Go for either Andis or Wahl. They're the best ones and it's easy to get blades for them.

I have a Masterclip clipper which is pretty good too. I got mine in the UK and the clippers are Andis compatible, so I've got spare blades for it as well. I've got a 10 (for sanitary clips); 7 (for the face, although 8.5 is good too), 5 for a shortish (6mm) cut and 3 3/4 for a winter coat.

CCP & Christies sell the clippers online, but I find Christies to be cheaper. Don't forget to get blade wash and clipper oil as well to keep the clippers clean & working well. Sharpen the blades after every 4-6 clips, especially if you're using certain blades regularly.

Get a multi-speed clipper if possible. You have a lot more control that way.

I've found Andis clippers on eBay at reasonable prices.

Finally, when clipping your dog, always clip when the coat is clean. Keeps the blades sharper for longer.

HTH!! Let me know if I can help further...

• Advertisement

Thanks a million! The clipper I actually got last year was wahl and it's definitely slowing down, it's pretty nuch useless at this stage. I've pretty much decided on the "andis professional 2 speed clipper". Thanks for the suggested websites, I'll have a look at them. I think I'll look on ebay, Chrisites, CCP and amazon and just buy the one with the best value. On andis' website it says their blades work with wahl blades. I have the right wahl blades for my dog (they're working fine, its just the actual clipper that isn't) so I guess I won't need to buy blades?
    Thanks again :)

Also I just realised as these are made in america,are they an american voltage (110 volts) or an irish voltage (220 volts)?

Where did you find them? Irish/UK voltage is 220/230v...

Did you look on Christies/CCP as I suggested?

CCP's website is down so I can't access it and on chrisites website including P&P the clippers are €173 and I've found ones a lot cheaper on ebay and the likes(mostly from sellers in America) so thats why I've been heading towards these, but don't know if there's a voltage problem if their American. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TenantSOS

Also I just realised as these are made in america,are they an american voltage (110 volts) or an irish voltage (220 volts)?

UK seller :) I am a dog groomer and cannot highly recommend these clippers enough :Dhttp://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-ANDIS-2-SPEED-PROFESSIONAL-CLIPPER-DOG-GROOMING-SPECIAL-OFFER-/360468846762?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item53ed9e18aa#ht_553wt_1037

I would also advise getting the comb attachments to go on the clippers like these ;)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Metal-Clipper-Combs-Grooming/dp/B007C2PB3U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_6

Good luck and enjoy it that is how I started by home grooming best thing I ever did :D

CCP's website is down so I can't access it and on chrisites website including P&P the clippers are €173 and I've found ones a lot cheaper on ebay and the likes(mostly from sellers in America) so thats why I've been heading towards these, but don't know if there's a voltage problem if their American. Thanks

That's why!! Of course they'll be American voltage and won't work here. Check out eBay.co.uk or .ie. That way you'll know that the clippers have the correct voltage. I've seen Andis clippers with two blades for £85. Of course it's extra to post, but that's the cheapest I've seen them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I don't know if any of these are good but there are a few types for sale on the german zooplus website for comparison and reviews.

http://www.zooplus.de/shop/hunde/hundepflege/schermaschine

1st time buyers discount of 10% also and free post depending on spend.

*use google chrome and it will translate the page for you + products differ on their site for each country (Irish one generally has less stuff) but that doesn't matter when purchasing.

TenantSOS-Thanks a million, I'll definitely get this model then. Would you say I'd be able to get it at a lower price than your link or is that the cheapest?
    ABC-Ok thanks, wow where have you seen them? On ebay? The cheapest I've found incl. P&P is a few around the €150 mark.
    Pawrick-Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I think I'm going to go ahead with the andis ones as the reviews seem seriously good but thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TenantSOS

TenantSOS-Thanks a million, I'll definitely get this model then. Would you say I'd be able to get it at a lower price than your link or is that the cheapest?
    ABC-Ok thanks, wow where have you seen them? On ebay? The cheapest I've found incl. P&P is a few around the €150 mark.
    Pawrick-Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I think I'm going to go ahead with the andis ones as the reviews seem seriously good but thanks anyway :)

You are very welcome :)

If you find a US version why not just get an adaptor like when you go on holidays ;) I use US products and they work out fine :)

Here is a nice cheap one but your local hardware/electrical shop might have one too ;)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Adaptor-Plug-Worldwide-European/dp/B000P0FIUM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340630991&sr=1-2

Oh, I thouht you needed a voltage transformer to convert the voltages, ie.the adapter only allows the plug to fit in to the wall, but you need a transformer to change/convert the voltage of the electricity?
    Do you know if the clippers have a wide voltage range (ie. it says on them 110-220v or limited such as 110v)?
    From research online, some electronics eg.laptop computers can handle a range of voltages (100-250v) but others need a transformer to convert the voltage.
    Hope I make sense and thanks again!

• Advertisement

No problem. But FWIW I wouldn't get anything with American voltage. It's simply not worth the risk, and you don't know how it'll go with your existing electrics. You also run the risk of burning out the motor unnecessarily. Spend a bit extra, get one with the correct voltage and you should be fine. I also forgot to mention to get a circuit breaker for use with the clippers too for safety's sake.

I'll try to hunt down that seller now...

Thanks a million, will do:) Thanks for the links to the clippers but it's the andis professional excel 2 speed one I'm after, the 2 speed is meant to be worth the small extra bit of money.
    andis-excel-2speed.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I bought the Andis 2-speed, I think maybe 5 years ago? Super clippers, still going strong, and that's using it often for really horribly matted, grubby, unwashable hair on neglected rescue dogs, perhaps 30+ times per year. I had a Wahl clippers before, but it's not up to hard work. Fine for an owner to clip their own dog a few times a year, but that's all it's up to. The Andis also has a lot more power and the good blades give a nice finish. Like yourself, I originally bought the clippers as one of my dogs is terrified of groomers after a horrible experience as a youngster :-(
    One thing I will say, don't scrimp on blades. I wasn't aware that Wahl blades fit the Andis clipper, certainly my old Wahl clipper blades wouldn't fit my Andis, but maybe it depends on the Wahl model? I think, if your old blades are a bit dated, go for extra oomph of nice, new blades: I get Oster blades, I think they're a little cheaper than Andis blades.
    If you think about it, to send a small dog for a clip costs, maybe €40? You'll have paid for the clippers and new blades within maybe 4 visits to the groomer's, depending on the size of you dog(s)! So if you're going for it, go the whole hog :)

DBB wrote: »
    I bought the Andis 2-speed, I think maybe 5 years ago? Super clippers, still going strong, and that's using it often for really horribly matted, grubby, unwashable hair on neglected rescue dogs, perhaps 30+ times per year. I had a Wahl clippers before, but it's not up to hard work. Fine for an owner to clip their own dog a few times a year, but that's all it's up to. The Andis also has a lot more power and the good blades give a nice finish. Like yourself, I originally bought the clippers as one of my dogs is terrified of groomers after a horrible experience as a youngster :-(
    One thing I will say, don't scrimp on blades. I wasn't aware that Wahl blades fit the Andis clipper, certainly my old Wahl clipper blades wouldn't fit my Andis, but maybe it depends on the Wahl model? I think, if your old blades are a bit dated, go for extra oomph of nice, new blades: I get Oster blades, I think they're a little cheaper than Andis blades.
    If you think about it, to send a small dog for a clip costs, maybe €40? You'll have paid for the clippers and new blades within maybe 4 visits to the groomer's, depending on the size of you dog(s)! So if you're going for it, go the whole hog :)

Thanks, yep I agree with the Wahl, mines half as good as it was when I first got it, I definitely need a better one! Where did you get the andis? Thanks a mill for the advice on the blades, they've only been used about 4 times so their still perfect so if they work fine I think I'll just stick with them. I actually paid €65 for one grooming!! So the whole thing for less than 3 grooms!

Thanks, yep I agree with the Wahl, mines half as good as it was when I first got it, I definitely need a better one! Where did you get the andis? Thanks a mill for the advice on the blades, they've only been used about 4 times so their still perfect so if they work fine I think I'll just stick with them. I actually paid €65 for one grooming!! So the whole thing for less than 3 grooms!

Happy days with the savings you'll make! If your Wahl blades are still so new, definitely get the use out of them. You can get blades re-sharpened but I'm not entirely sure this is worth the cost. If I might hijack your thread for a sec OP, has anyone gone down this route, and is it worthwhile?:)

I got my clippers from Christies Direct, and at the time I think I paid about €180 for the clippers with 2 extra blades. If I remember correctly, it also came with a 10 blade already on it.

DBB wrote: »
    Happy days with the savings you'll make! If your Wahl blades are still so new, definitely get the use out of them. You can get blades re-sharpened but I'm not entirely sure this is worth the cost. If I might hijack your thread for a sec OP, has anyone gone down this route, and is it worthwhile?:)

I got my clippers from Christies Direct, and at the time I think I paid about €180 for the clippers with 2 extra blades. If I remember correctly, it also came with a 10 blade already on it.

Ok great thanks, though I think I'll go the ebay route, I am a bit of a bargain hunter to be honest:D

Ok great thanks, though I think I'll go the ebay route, I am a bit of a bargain hunter to be honest:D

Sure, why not go for a cheaper option?
    I knew no better at the time, hence Christie's! :o

Ahh it's driving me mad the way the ones from the US mightn't work here, their literally 2/3 of the price of the ones from the UK and Irl. But there are a few good value ones on ebay from the UK, have emailed the sellers asking if they will post to Ireland and am awaiting a reply. Poor Charlie is in a desperate need of a shave!:o

• Advertisement

I got mine here:

http://www.masterclip.co.uk/landing_page/dog_clippers/dog_products_item.aspx?nItem=Ultimate%20Dog%20Grooming%20Set&nProducts=Dog_Clippers

Two speed, comes with 3 blades and will post to Ireland (via courier). Costs £15 if I remember rightly. Clippers are Andis compatible so easy to get blades.

Advertisement